Halo 4 Progression System Announced

http://www.examiner.com/article/halo-4-multiplayer-progression-system-given-an-overview-by-343-industries

Here is the text :

343 Industries provided a high-level over of the Halo 4 progression system with an all new update late Wednesday night for the upcoming Xbox 360 game that covers ranks, loadouts, customizations, specializations and commendations.

The most notable change with the new progression system is that the military ranks of Halo: Reach are gone. Instead players will earn experience by playing War Games, Spartan Ops, Forge and Theater to move up from level 1 (SR-1) to level 50 (SR-50) and then through the Specialization ranks.

View slideshow: Halo 4 - Progression System Screenshots

Ranks

All players will start out with a level 1 rank with the following equipment.

Assault Rifle
Magnum
Frag Grenade
Recruit Armor, Emblem, Visor and Stance
Experience is earned in Halo 4’s multiplayer that is used to rank up which unlocks more gear options and grants Spartan Points. These Spartan Points can be earned to purchase items for loadouts.

Every gameplay item will be available to unlocked by level 26 according to 343 Industries but you won’t have the points necessary to purchase them all until you reach level 50. The reasoning is, “It’s up to you to decide the order in which you want to build up the arsenal for your Spartan-IV.”

Loadouts

Halo 4 comes with 5 default loadouts with different weapons and equipment but players start with one custom loadout as well. Additional loadouts can be unlocked at SR-6, SR-14, SR-26 and SR-41. Each loadout comes with Primary Weapon, Secondary Weapon, Grenade, Armor Ability, Tactical Package and Support Upgrade slots. However, the Armor Ability slot isn’t unlocked until SR-3, the Tactical Package slot at SR-7 and the Support Upgrade slot at SR-12.

Visualizations

Visual customization options such as Armor, Armor Skins, Weapon Skins, Visors, Emblems and Stances can be unlocked by the following means.

Earning a specific SR rank
Earning a specific rank in a Specialization
Mastering a Commendation
Completing a Waypoint goal
Specializations

343 Industries previously provided information on Specializations and didn’t provide much new beyond the existing details that the Wetworks and Pioneer Specializations will be the first two available when players reach level 50. After completing the 10 ranks in each Specialization then another one can be chosen. The Engineer, Tracker, Rogue, Stalker, Pathfinder and Operator Specialization will be released later.

However, there was one tantalizing piece detail added to Specializations; players might receive an “a reward or two” when they reach SR-140, the max level in the game.

Commendations

Commendations will be used in Halo 4 to provide another meta-game in multiplayer beyond the ranks and Specializations. 343 Industries expects that players will still have Commendations left to earn even after reaching the max levels.

The Commendations include multiple levels that can be earned with certain medals and some can unlock new equipment to change the look of a Spartan-IV.

Challenges

Challenges are back and expanded for Halo 4 to cover daily, weekly and monthly opportunities to complete them. Here are the different categories for Challenges.

Campaign

2 Weekly Challenges
War Games

2 Daily Challenges
2 Weekly Challenges
1 Monthly Challenge
Spartan Ops

6 Challenges
Waypoint

Exclusive daily challenges for War Games

So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.

> So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.

I don’t.

This is just the info from BS Angel’s wednesday bulletin… Delete your link and give credit where credit is due.

This is the progression system, not ranking system.

> > So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.
>
> I don’t.

Why wouldn’t you? With an Assault Rifle the only skill gap is the grenade throws used to finish/weaken opponents. Otherwise it’s complete randomness and luck instead of skill, I think we at least deserve some precision weapon to start our career off with.

> > > So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.
> >
> > I don’t.
>
> Why wouldn’t you? With an Assault Rifle the only skill gap is the grenade throws used to finish/weaken opponents. Otherwise it’s complete randomness and luck instead of skill, I think we at least deserve some precision weapon to start our career off with.

We will have pre made loadouts as well. You might get a taste of a br or dmr.

Title fixed.

> > > So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.
> >
> > I don’t.
>
> Why wouldn’t you? With an Assault Rifle the only skill gap is the grenade throws used to finish/weaken opponents. Otherwise it’s complete randomness and luck instead of skill, I think we at least deserve some precision weapon to start our career off with.

That all depends. The AR looks far more beefy than previous halo games.

> Title fixed.

<4

That was a depressing read for me …

I just hope there’s a playlist called “proper Halo” and it plays out just like Halo’s 1-3 did without the gimmicks and all that.

> That was a depressing read for me …
>
> I just hope there’s a playlist called “proper Halo” and it plays out just like Halo’s 1-3 did without the gimmicks and all that.

You do know you can still play Halo 3 on XBL right?

looks like reach’s system which I don’t care about. I won’t enlist just like I don’t prestige in CoD. I just don’t care. It doesn’t relate to skill so no need for me to care about getting highest rank as fast as possible. It’ll eventually happen from just playing winning / losing which is boring for me.

CODs progression system works well because COD’s weapons and perks are incredibly well balanced. All you need in COD is reaction time and accuracy, and players can thrive with just about any weapon perk setup. Additionally, it only takes a few hours to get everything unlocked, so even mild imbalance is quickly rectified.

What I fear about Halo 4’s system, is historically speaking weapons have not been well balanced and some weapons function significantly better then others. I just hope the default setups are fairly decent.

I am holding out the slim hope that there is a Classic Doubles playlist. All my brother and I do is play Doubles. We have to rely on each other to win, and he is the only other player I trust in battle with me lol. I don’t want all these ordinances, abilities, and the freaking location of the weapons on the HUD to ruin my Doubles experience.

I am interested to see how Trueskill is implemented.

> So we start with AR+Magnum? That’s sort of a downer, I wanted to start with all weapons available.

Considering we now have classes I’m surprised you came to such a conclusion, anyway, I prefer the way it is.