Halo 4 Playlist and Gametype Preference

I’ve made my preference known under TELL 343, but I thought I would create my own topic to see if anyone else agrees with it. To note; it’s not my ideal Playlist and Gametype preference for a Halo game, but given the circumstances surrounding how 343i has setup Halo 4’s matchmaking playlists and in regards to their plan for gametype rankings next year, I think this is an ideal plan for a playlist and gametype offering in Halo 4.

The standard playlists I’d like to see in Halo 4 would be… and why?

• (1) Big Team Battle (7v7-8v8 w/ weekly rotating objective variants): Considering Halo has some of the most terrific and enjoyable vehicular battles, it stands to reason that one of the most vital playlists is the Big Team playlist. Due to the current method in which the playlist have been constructed, which I believe is because of 343i’s plan to eventually have player ranks per a gametype I don’t believe it would be possible to have multiple gametype variants available for voting on under a broad playlist similar to Halo: Reach, therefore I think the next best thing is to rotate the classification of the broad playlist on a weekly basis and under this idea the BTB playlist would focus on the Slayer gametype one week, the CTF gametype another, perhaps an Assault gametype or Dominion yet another week, and who knows what down the road. BTB Slayer and CTF should cycle back-in the most often.

• (2) Squad Battle (5v5-6v6 w/ weekly rotating objective variants): Similar to the concept listed under BTB, but geared to include some of the more medium sized maps and to lessen the amount of so-called “heavy” vehicles on the bigger maps. Again, considering 343i’s gametype ranking plans, a weekly rotational change of this playlist’s objective gametype should be ideal in offering the player base some solid gametype options while still being able to work within 343i’s ranking plans. Ideally, I don’t think 343i should offer a week where a duplication of a particular gametype is offered (For example: No BTB CTF & Squad Battle CTF at the same time), preferably each week would try to offer at least 1 standard Halo 4 style (infinity) Slayer playlist and 1 Halo 4 style CTF gametype somewhere regardless to what playlist it would exist under.

• (3) Team Battle (3v3-4v4 w/ weekly rotating objective variants): This playlist would follow the same descriptions under the playlists listed above except this one would be focused on the medium and smaller maps, while also having very minimal amounts of (non-heavy) vehicles, if any at all.

• (4) Team SWAT (3v3-4v4): A gameplay playlist designed specifically for focusing on quick kill headshots, who doesn’t love it? It’ll involve having pre-set loadouts, no radar, no ordinance drops, no AAs, no Tactical Packages, and no Support Upgrades.

• (5) Rumble Pit (1vAll w/ weekly rotating gametypes): I think this playlist should cycle weekly between various different types of FFA gametypes, including the Flood gametype.

• (6) Multi-Team (w/ weekly objective and team size variants): I truly enjoyed the rotational 4, 6, or 8 2-person teams and 4 3-person teams and/or 4 4-person teams and the chaotic games that were offered in Halo 3 and Halo: Reach under the Multi-team heading. It was here where many of the more odd-ish and less popular gametypes seemed to find major favor and become quite enjoyable to play… VIP, Oddball, King of the Hill, Headhunter, Rocket Race, or Rocket Hogs. The playlist would be on a weekly rotation as to it’s party size parameters. One week it may be for 4 4-person teams, another week it may be for 4 2-person teams, yet another it may be for 6 or 8 2-person teams, or perhaps 4 3-person teams.

One type of playlist that has never been introduced within a Halo game that I wish would be offered as a standard playlist is…

• (7) Team Mercenary (5v5 w/ weekly objective variants): A playlist that would include a multitude of weekly team based gametype variants (Slayer, CTF, Assault, Dominion, King of the Hill, Oddball, et cetera) but will only accept individual players, not a group or party of players. I think this is important because it gives solo players a very solid option to find competitive team based games.

Here is a group of Playlists that I think should be cycled-in weekly over each other as the Eithth and final playlist offering. I consider all of these playlists to be for the highly competitive players.

• (8) Team Pro (3v3-4v4 w/ a particular objective variant that would change every time this playlist re-appeared): Similar to Team Battle except it would have pre-set loadouts, no radar, no ordinance drops, no AAs, no Tactical Packages, and no Support Upgrades. Will only include the most competitive gametypes.

• (8) Team Doubles (2v2 w/ switching between a Pro variant and a standard Halo 4 variant on its reoccurrence): A playlist for two people to truly work on their team work and focus on defeating another army of two. Playlist would focus on the Slayer gametype, but the Pro variant would have pre-set loadouts, no radar, no ordinance drops, no AAs, no Tactical Packages, and no Support Upgrades.

• (8) Cage Match (1v1 w/ switching between a Pro variant and a standard Halo 4 variant on its reoccurrence): A playlist for head-to-head battles. Playlist would focus on the Slayer gametype and the Pro variant would have pre-set loadouts, no radar, no ordinance drops, no AAs, no Tactical Packages, and no Support Upgrades.

Here is a list of gametypes that should make a return. Some of them would require 343i to update Halo 4 in order for them to be possible.

Neutral Bomb (Assault)
One Bomb (Assault)
Headhunter
Rocket Race
VIP
One Sided VIP
Juggernaut
Rocket Hog
Territories
Land Grab
Crazy King
Stockpile
Muti-ball

Finally, I’d like to mention that with time for 343i to study how specific gametypes drew greater player involvement (popularity) within their specific playlist category, those gametypes should begin to see an increase in occurance and those that proved to be less popular could see their occurances dwindle, but not necessarily disappear, unless it proved to cause a playlist to become significantly avoided by a majority of the expected player base for that playlist category.