Halo 4 Pistol discussion

The CE pistol is often referred to by the community as the greatest weapon in Halo history. When Halo 2 came out and dualwielding was introduced, the pistol was changed dramatically in order to balance the game. In Halo 3 the pistol changed once more making it more powerful than the H2 pistol, but it had an incredibly slow fire rate and lacked the scope from the first game. In Reach it changed once again and was given a faster fire rate, and a scope.

We can plainly see that the pistol in Halo has changed for every game that has come out, constantly trying to find that sweet spot of making it fun like the CE pistol, but not incredibly overbalanced.

With halo 4 coming out it is inevitable that the pistol will change once more. So instead of just waiting to see what happens, lets do something that hasn’t been done in any Halo so far. This is my idea

My idea is to have 2 different pistols. People like the scoped pistols that can reach out for quick headshots, but they also like dualwielding them commando style. Unfortunately you can’t have both in one pistol. So I say have two.

Now I will go over the two different models

Magnum: This pistol is more like the CE/ Reach pistol. It has a scope function, a decent fire rate, and like Reach, is a 5 shot kill. Having a 5 shot kill weapon dualwieldable would be insane, so here are some changes from Reach. First of all bloom is gone. People don’t like it, and it doesn’t belong in a Halo game. To make it fair a recoil system will be implemented. This means repeatedly spamming the trigger causes more recoil making it harder to control. But the glory of this is that it is controllable. A skilled player will be able to fire fairly rapidly and maintain its accuracy. But it will require a degree of skill which players appreciate. Another buff is that it now has a 10 round clip. This means 10 perfect shots could kill 2 people without a reload. I also just think 8 is a little too limiting. Now because it isn’t dualwieldable, I think it needs to go through an appearance change. I suggest giving the pistol a stock. It makes the gun bigger and kinda gives a reason why it isn’t dualwieldable. Also because it has 2 extra shots, the clip is extended and sticks out the bottom a little bit. Oh, and its silver like in reach.

Automag: This is akin to the Halo 2 pistol. IMO the halo 2 pistol was underrated. when dualwielding 2 of them it could take someone out nearly instantly if the shots were well placed. I say we have a pistol like Halo 2’s in the game to coexist with the standard magnum. It has a 12 round clip, and is an 8 shot kill if the last shot is to the head ( one less than the H2 pistol). It’s fire rate is essentially as fast as you can pull the trigger, has little to no recoil, and is dualwieldable. However, it has no scope and the reticle is larger than that of the magnum making it slightly less accurate. When the automag is dualwielded it iss a serious threat, but it is also useful to pull out and finish a weak guy off. Also it isn’t impossible to kill someone with by itself, but is at a severe disadvantage to other weapons.

As i hopefully explained, each pistol has its strengths and weaknesses. One is accurate, has a good FR, and has good range. The other has an insane FR, almost no recoil, and is dualwieldable. That way no matter what Halo pistol you have preffered over the years Halo 4 will have one for you.

Those are my thoughts on the matter, if you agree, disagree, or have your own thoughts on the manner please leave a comment and share with us.

Thanks

Yeah, I think this could work. The only problem I see is that they would be harder implement well into the game, as it always is when adding new weaponry. I’m open to the idea, and hope 343 takes note of this, as I’m pretty fond of the H2 pistol.

Two pistols is an option. When there’s a type where the pistol is the secondary weapon, what determines which you spawn with?

> Yeah, I think this could work. The only problem I see is that they would be harder implement well into the game, as it always is when adding new weaponry. I’m open to the idea, and hope 343 takes note of this, as I’m pretty fond of the H2 pistol.

You and me both. I tested it just the other day. And dualwielded Halo 2 pistols can take someone out faster than the CE pistol. Not at a range of course, but just standing still and firing in to the dudes head, Halo 2 pistol wins. However in halo 4, the Magnum has a slight faster FR than the CE pistol. And the Automag is even faster. Its pretty much as fast as you can pull the trigger. I see the Halo 4’s Magnum being about reach’s speed, maybe a tad slower to compencate for the added accuracy.

> Two pistols is an option. When there’s a type where the pistol is the secondary weapon, what determines which you spawn with?

In traditional straight up slayer I would have the AR and automag spawn. With the Magnum a pick up. But then have other variants with Magnum spawn etc.

anyone else have suggestions?

Good, except the scoped pistol should be a 4 shot weapon at least, and the Dual Wielded pistol around 6 to 7

> Good, except the scoped pistol should be a 4 shot weapon at least, and the Dual Wielded pistol around 6 to 7

Nah, the kill times already sped up enough from reach. Remember bloom is gone. also making the Magnum a 4 sahot would make the BR obsolete, and wouuld make the automag unstopable. I think if you think about it a 5 shot magnum, and an 8 shot ( 4 trigger pulls when dualwielding) is pretty balanced.

Awesome man, I had the same thing in mind.

I don’t think we should have 2 magnums in the game, instead we should have the auto mag (the one you said), weak, scoped and dual wieldable, 4 shots when dual wielded but has no scope, and 8 shots when not but has scope.

The perfect pistol for Halo 4.

> Good, except the scoped pistol should be a 4 shot weapon at least, and the Dual Wielded pistol around 6 to 7

I support this. Unless they can find a way to make the scoped Pistol a 3 shot and not cause complaints from people who just don’t understand the balance of the sandbox, in which case I’d prefer that.

And for peopel thinking that it shouldn’t overshadow the BR or whatever new mid range weapon we get, just make that weapon have a longer scope (4x?) and an overall bigger magazine. Also, add the kill barrier on all mid range precision weapons so we dont’ have all of these cross mapping problems, but legthen the barrier on the Mid Range Rifle.

> Awesome man, I had the same thing in mind.
>
> Make it a 8sk with a scope, so it kills 1 person per mag, but dual wieldable, so it can kill more than one per mag.

No.

I really don’t want Dual Wielding back.

But the idea of two different pistols is a GREAT idea. Picking one or the other for your “loadout”.

I truly believe Halo could make a balanced game with different starting weapons. But only default weaponry could be chosen, like types of Assault Rifles, Marksman Rifles, Pistols, etc.

Like for the rifles, you have two different types. One is stronger, slower rate of fire, and single shot. The other is weaker, faster rate of fire, and a three round burst.

Holy crap just had an idea… what if they balanced the DMR and Battle Rifle and included them both in the next game.

Can you say epic battles to prove which is truly superior!?

The trash talk alone would be worth it to include!

> > Awesome man, I had the same thing in mind.
> >
> > Make it a 8sk with a scope, so it kills 1 person per mag, but dual wieldable, so it can kill more than one per mag.
>
> No.

Didn’t read the whole thread, so if you wanna disagree with my edit go ahead.

I edited the bolded part.

> > > Awesome man, I had the same thing in mind.
> > >
> > > Make it a 8sk with a scope, so it kills 1 person per mag, but dual wieldable, so it can kill more than one per mag.
> >
> > No.
>
> Didn’t read the whole thread, so if you wanna disagree with my edit go ahead.
>
> I edited the bolded part.

I reassert my position.

Two Pistols is good. That way, people can’t cry when they say “But its just a side arm! Its not supposed to be powerful!” and they can just choose the “BR”/Rapid Fire Pistol gametype instead of the AR/God Pistol gametype. Options are much better than compromises.

> > > > Awesome man, I had the same thing in mind.
> > > >
> > > > Make it a 8sk with a scope, so it kills 1 person per mag, but dual wieldable, so it can kill more than one per mag.
> > >
> > > No.
> >
> > Didn’t read the whole thread, so if you wanna disagree with my edit go ahead.
> >
> > I edited the bolded part.
>
> I reassert my position.
>
> Two Pistols is good. That way, people can’t cry when they say “But its just a side arm! Its not supposed to be powerful!” and they can just choose the “BR”/Rapid Fire Pistol gametype instead of the AR/God Pistol gametype. Options are much better than compromises.

You’re making a good point here.

I’ve always supported more weapon variety to Halo.

In response to any comments about the BR; why bother having that if we can just have the pistol be useful outside close range? I would love to see a 5sk, 12-shot, single-wield magnum. There could be a scope mounted on it to differentiate it from the Automag and denote the fact you can’t dual wield.

The scoped pistol could become the new utility weapon, with a slower fire rate; a bit faster than the H3 BR sounds good. I’d support anything for a less-redundant sandbox like what Halo 2-Reach has given us.

That is a good idea, but i would prefer a 5 shot kill with 12 rounds in each clip instead. And abit of topic here i might have a solution about the br and dmr complaints, and that would what bungie was gonna do in halo 2 like, when the br is unscoped its 3 shot and scoped was 1 shot. does anyone agree?

Auto mag is a good idea, as well as the more powerful pistol.

> Yeah, I think this could work. The only problem I see is that they would be harder implement well into the game, as it always is when adding new weaponry. I’m open to the idea, and hope 343 takes note of this, as I’m pretty fond of the H2 pistol.

> Auto mag is a good idea, as well as the more powerful pistol.

i thought so…