HALO 4 ONLINE IS A MESS and I'm gutted.

Another disgruntled and massively disheartened Halo fanatic, been playing since the Halo CE system link days, my loyalty unwavering.

Till now…

This game is close to being an unmitigated disaster, for the long standing Halo player. The online experience has become HORRIBLE.

I acknowledge that a couple of the items below are subjective opinions on my part, but bear with me:

a) BROKEN JIP

Empty slots left unfilled, late game joins, Slayer matches starting with seven players and not a single player joining afterward etc etc.

b) FIVE MAPS ONLY IN SLAYER.

Seriously?! FIVE MAPS?! One of which is a mess of CoD-style mindless run-and-gun chaos (Abandon).

c) DISPROPORTIONATE ASSISTS

Myself and those I play with and speak to have NEVER had so many Assists in ANY online FPS, ever. 12 and 13 Assists for a single player has become NORMAL in eight player Slayer. When it happens to you it feels PERPLEXING AND UNJUST. Ultimately, I feel angry when it happens to me, match after match.

d) WEIRD shoulder barging METERS across the floor by TEAM MATES who cross your path. I’ve never played a Halo game before in which I’ve been accidentally PUSHED and SHOVED into enemy fire so many times by team mates sprinting into me. This particular phenomenon of Halo 4 is absolutely INFURIATING.

e) INCONSISTENT, MATCH UNBALANCING ORDINANCE DROPS

I’m tired of matches against players who have Saw after Saw and Sword after Sword vs. my team’s Needler and Overshield. WHERE is the HALO in this system?

f) STUPID, UNNECESSARY AND COUNTER INTUTIVE SCORING TALLY

Call me dumb, but I’m sick of having to work out how many kills are left in the game while under extreme duress due to all of the problems above plus ACTUAL gameplay pressures themselves, such as aiming and negotiating map design. What on EARTH was wrong with 0 - 50? Oh I know - CoD doesn’t do it that way.

g) LAG

LAG LAG LAG. This game can feel as bad as Crysis 2 at times, and often. Melees which don’t register, disappearing reappearing enemies, unregistered synchronised final shot exchanges with an opponent, getting killed after getting well round a corner; all of which are often apparent in a match which has NO visible latency bars. Actual visible latency bars feel like a bonus!

For a Halo game, these things are UNACCEPTABLE. The game should be a pleasure to play, an absolute delight. But it isn’t.

It feels like a copy, a bad fake. It feels like a Halo clone which looks the part but lacks the finesse, balance and technical polish of a Bungie multiplayer first person shooter.

This makes me sad and angry at the same time. Frankly, I’m gutted. To those who disagree with me and say they love the game, I’m genuinely happy for you. Enjoy. But please don’t hate on me for not feeling the same way. I’m very upset by how this multiplayer - how HALO 4 - has turned out. I feel the Halo era is over.

I feel betrayed.

343i, I’m going to have a break from the game and begin my Legendary campaign play through. If after I’ve finished it I return to your multiplayer to find there are no satisfying improvements to the Halo experience I’ve decided I’m going to trade in my copy. This isn’t a stupid little meaningless threat, I’m not expecting sympathy from anyone. I’m merely expressing how miserable and sad I feel about my favourite multiplayer franchise now and I want the people responsible to truly know how some of us feel due to your design choices and system flaws. Maybe something can be done, but I don’t expect that now. I expect many veterans to leave, and 343i should expect that, too.

Thanks for reading.

All the best and peace.

– UK Halo fan

hmmmm, the crazy tm pushing also explains how a person can melee the area in front of you and have the hit still count as a connect.

And give the franchise to who? Theres no other Dev that knows a thing about Halo except two companys. 343 and Bungie.

Sorry, I should have clarified: I didn’t mean 343i should leave; I meant that they too should expect many Halo vets to eventually leave, once the dust settles. I’ve reworded how I put that across.

lol 343i can’t leave. They were task and created by Microsoft itself to make more Halo games. They won’t shutdown a studio they made themself only to make Halo games. Silly OP.

> And give the franchise to who? Theres no other Dev that knows a thing about Halo except two companys. 343 and Bungie.

Does 343 know a thing about halo? It is debatable.

Also, there are many talented companies out there that could make a great halo game. 343 can probably make a great halo game as well, they just missed the mark with halo 4. Probably because they were too scared to take any risks, and thought they could just use the ideas of the most successful multiplayer shooter out now(COD).

Anyway, completely agree with OP

Well written and I can understand where your coming from, I personally am going to wait and see how 343 addresses the issues and if Spartan Ops will suddenly become what I hoping it would become in the next few weeks. I guess I’m hedging my bets that 343 hasn’t really showed their full hand on what the game entails. Maybe I’m kidding myself.

The lag at times does seem rather bad, even when I have a good connection. It just seems to choose the wrong host.

Other times the lag makes the game so unplayable it is entertaining because watching people trying to melee someone when they are about 10ft away AND THEY CONNECT is hilarious. I’ve heard of throwing a punch but that’s silly.

But when it works right, Halo 4 really is fun. I just hate having to leave games where we are winning and then someone rage quits and the server restarts and glitches everyone to hell. Even saw one guy flying a banshee… without a banshee. Wish it had saved in the film, -Yoink!-.

OP your hate and disappointment only makes my love for Halo grow stronger. As a Halo Vet I’m going to out tomorrow to buy another copy to replace the one your trading in.

The thing which both 343i and Microsoft need to keep at the very forefront of their thinking is the fact that there’s an abundance of top tier competition in the fps market place right now. I actually put down BF3 PC to return to my beloved Halo franchise, but I’m thinking more than ever that I’m glad I love Battlefield, too.

There will be a lot of Halo players who, as a result of this game’s misgivings, will be tempted away to play one of many superior alternatives.

Halo isn’t the dominant force it once was, and changing the formula up as 343i have could in time prove either inspired or foolish.

> Even saw one guy flying a banshee… without a banshee. Wish it had saved in the film, -Yoink!-.

I hear you there! I just watched a Mantis driver (sans Mantis) get assassinated … you heard that right - the PLAYER got assassinated while in the imaginary Mantis - I literally had to stop playing I was laughing so hard!!

Watching someone get spear-tackled while floating/hovering(seated position)10 feet in the air was easily the funniest thing I have seen in Halo since the original warthog jump videos came out!

Thanks 343!!! … I think!?

Sooooo can I have your copy?

> OP your hate and disappointment only makes my love for Halo grow stronger. As a Halo Vet I’m going to out tomorrow to buy another copy to replace the one your trading in.

Sounds like over-compensating tomfoolery to me. Look, I said I’m glad for folk like you and I also said “many” vets; not all. But to find a sort of twisted enjoyment in another person’s disappointment isn’t helpful at all, so knock it off.

> OP your hate and disappointment only makes my love for Halo grow stronger. As a Halo Vet I’m going to out tomorrow to buy another copy to replace the one your trading in.

Wow you totally got him. Seriously though, theres alot wrong with this game and i’m hoping they fix it so i don’t end up wasting 60$

What people don’t seem to understand is 343i are a title name for a company. If the designers you want be changing or something because there the one’s that ruined the natural gameplay that has been in nearly every halo game.

So if we want our game to be the way we originally wanted it then we need the designers to rework everything, play the originals and remind them what originally made halo popular in the first place. The forerunners just seemed too ambitious for the team, think they should have worked on something like halo 2 remastered to help them remember what halo physic’s/sounds/gameplay should feel like. Graphics may make a game look pretty but it doesn’t mean it would be fun. An example I think call of duty is terrible after call of duty 3 but I have to admit the graphic look brilliant even if the gameplay is an abomination.

Anyway 343i need to get back to the drawing board, maybe this lesson might mean better, interesting new spartan ops mission in season 2 or halo 1 arcade multiplayer only game.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I ignored most of your arguments since you seem to have an -Yoink!- level of hatred towards change, but this complaint right here is absolutely stupid.

> f) STUPID, UNNECESSARY AND COUNTER INTUTIVE SCORING TALLY

600 points to win = 60 kills to win. If your team has 200 points and the other has 400 they have twice your teams score. This is not a difficult concept.

Actually, I agree with the OP. Halo 4, in its current state, is broken…

>

It’s not even about the change… It’s about how 343 tackled changing how Halo feels and plays.

If their stat tracking is as detailed as they mentioned it in the bulletin, then they should be able to take that information and make tweaks here and there. I wasn’t shocked when I saw the ordnance stats showing the power weapons and grenades being picked over powerups.

> Actually, I agree with the OP. Halo 4, in its current state, is broken…
>
>
>
> >
>
> It’s not even about the change… It’s about how 343 tackled changing how Halo feels and plays.

Halo 4 still plays like Halo. If you want to complain that it feels different then blame Bungie, they’re the ones who made the horrible Reach engine this game uses.

Only problem I have is with the ordnance system