Halo 4 on an External Hard Drive?

I recently read that halo 4 will require 8 GB of storage space for online play, and I just so happen to be the lucky owner of a Halo 3 Special Edition xbox, with a 12GB hard drive and about 5.6 GB left on it. I think my only option will be to get an external hard drive, probably something around a terabyte of memory.

I’m just wondering, will this have any negative effects at all? I could download the game right to that hard drive as well then.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage/

The largest storage unit you can make from a USB device is 16GB.

> http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage/
>
> The largest storage unit you can make from a USB device is 16GB.

^this^

It would be easier if you got a new HDD. 60gb HDDs are pretty cheap on amazon or e-bay if you find one.

Can anybody confirm that it requires 8 GB of storage?

Microsoft said so themselves. Its on the gamezone website. So if im correct a usb drive will work fine right?

> Can anybody confirm that it requires 8 GB of storage?

Here

> > Can anybody confirm that it requires 8 GB of storage?
>
> Here

Thanks. It looks like I will have to free up some memory on my hard drive then.

> > http://www.xbox.com/en-US/storage/
> >
> > The largest storage unit you can make from a USB device is 16GB.
>
> ^this^
>
> It would be easier if you got a new HDD. 60gb HDDs are pretty cheap on amazon or e-bay if you find one.

I got the 60gb hard drive 2 weeks ago.iv got a app called xbox news on my iPhone. it does say you need a 8gb for MM.

As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.

Thanks, 343i.

> As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
> Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.
>
> Thanks, 343i.

I know the same thing has happened for me. I was really hoping next gen consoles would come soon. I guess I am just going to have to delete several things :frowning:

> As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
>
> Thanks, 343i.

I also have a 20GB HDD along with two 16 GB USBs (which is the max I believe). I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

Why does this game need 8 GB for multiplayer? Very bad move, especially for the game that’s the face of the 360.

> > As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
> > Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.
> >
> > Thanks, 343i.
>
> I also have a 20GB HDD along with two 16 GB USBs (which is the max I believe). I’m not sure what I’m going to do.
>
> Why does this game need 8 GB for multiplayer? Very bad move, especially for the game that’s the face of the 360.

I know that Battlefield 3 takes up to 15 GB, so compare it to that and Halo 4 is not as bad as Battlefield.

> > > As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
> > > Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.
> > >
> > > Thanks, 343i.
> >
> > I also have a 20GB HDD along with two 16 GB USBs (which is the max I believe). I’m not sure what I’m going to do.
> >
> > Why does this game need 8 GB for multiplayer? Very bad move, especially for the game that’s the face of the 360.
>
> I know that Battlefield 3 takes up to 15 GB, so compare it to that and Halo 4 is not as bad as Battlefield.

You need 15GB of free space to play BF3?

> > > > As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
> > > > Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks, 343i.
> > >
> > > I also have a 20GB HDD along with two 16 GB USBs (which is the max I believe). I’m not sure what I’m going to do.
> > >
> > > Why does this game need 8 GB for multiplayer? Very bad move, especially for the game that’s the face of the 360.
> >
> > I know that Battlefield 3 takes up to 15 GB, so compare it to that and Halo 4 is not as bad as Battlefield.
>
> You need 15GB of free space to play BF3?

Yep, I had a friend show me on his 360 a couple days ago.

> > > > > As a person with my original launch day 20gb HDD (Of which 3gb remain), this is annoying as hell.
> > > > > Nothing I can do but cancel my pre-order I guess.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks, 343i.
> > > >
> > > > I also have a 20GB HDD along with two 16 GB USBs (which is the max I believe). I’m not sure what I’m going to do.
> > > >
> > > > Why does this game need 8 GB for multiplayer? Very bad move, especially for the game that’s the face of the 360.
> > >
> > > I know that Battlefield 3 takes up to 15 GB, so compare it to that and Halo 4 is not as bad as Battlefield.
> >
> > You need 15GB of free space to play BF3?
>
> Yep, I had a friend show me on his 360 a couple days ago.

I just did some research and 15GB is the size if you install the game to the HDD. You don’t have to install the game, so you do not need to have 15GB of free space to play.

Halo 4 on the other hand, apparently you need to have 8GB of free space to play multiplayer.

So is it 8gb just for multiplayer or does that include Spartan Ops?

> So is it 8gb just for multiplayer or does that include Spartan Ops?

Not sure but it mite.

I think it includes any multiplayer so this could be both Spartan Ops and Matchmaking. From what I hear, BF3 required even more space. I mean it make sense that this is happening, the Xbox is fairly old and 343i pushed the game past its limit.

Hmmm…That’s stupid. I have 3.2Gb, how will I get to 8. Just one more reason I might not get it.

>
> Thanks, 343i.

Aww, I understand your pain. Until very recently I had the launch day 20GBs, I finally had the opportunity to upgrade to a 250GB. I don’t want anyone to miss out over an issue like this.