Halo 4 NEEDS a Proper Map Editor

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT AHEAD (Skip the intro and get to the point if you must).

Intro
I’ve just finished browsing through videos on YouTube about Halo: CE and Halo 2 Vista map editing. Tutorials, finished maps, machinimas, you name it. I don’t have the patience, time, or skills to make a map with those tools, and neither do I have Halo: PC or Halo 2 Vista. None of my friends play them either, which would make the point of a custom-made map almost moot.

Earlier, I spent most of my day organizing my Forge maps on Halo: Reach and watching videos on YouTube about Forge maps. Some of them were exquisite and I further contributed to the disorganized mess of maps on my lengthy list. Forge is a fantastic tool. However, it is also very limited.

Main Point
Halo 4 needs a proper map editor.

Details
Picture this: You turn on your Xbox 360, put Halo 4 in, select “Map Editor” from the main menu, and jump in. You are able to edit terrain, create and import custom textures, alter the texture on weapons and vehicles, edit default vehicle speed, weapon rate of fire and other attributes, all in one custom map.

Features
You should be able to perform the following actions in the editor:

-Easily edit terrain in a manner superior to that of Far Cry 2. (ie. form caves and overhangs)
-Raise and lower the level of different areas of water, rather than a master height. -Waterfalls and rivers (with currents) would be optimal.
-Have complete control over the skybox, with the ability to create or import a picture from a preset gallery provided in the game by 343i or your own from a computer.
-Create fog or mist and have complete control over lighting and effects. You can do it in RPG Maker XP, for Pete’s sake.
-Other extensive environmental effects including rain and snow.
-Weapon placement. Floating weapons should not act like they do in Reach.
-Vehicle placement. Individual weapons and vehicles should have an option to make them unavailable for pickup by the player… just for scenery.
-Tree placement. There should be a library ingame of different tree models.
-Vehicle and weapon texture library for changes. Also able to import from a computer.
-Environmental sounds!
-The ability to place bots, custom bots, fires, smoke, shattered vehicle hulks, bloodstains, and small innocuous objects.
-Ammo packs should make a return, as should breakable glass.
-The ability to create 3D objects without a complicated process and store them on your Xbox 360 for further use.

These, among other obvious things, would be great features. 343i could easily implement them in a map editor, given a few months to develop it. The following are examples of what I want to quickly, easily, and efficiently have the ability to do with the map editor:

Examples
Lava

1. Dig a hole in the ground with terrain tools.
  2. Fill the hole with water.
  3. Use a lava texture from the library or somehow import one from my computer.
  4. Change the color of the water to red.
  5. Remove surface waves.
  6. Add a kill barrier to the surface of the lava.
  7. Add red lighting to the water.

There you have it! Crude, but effective lava. What I’ve always wanted to do was build the Titanic sinking and host a Slayer match on it. It would be frozen in mid-sinking, of course. (I’m doing this in Forge World, but with big ugly grey objects, land everywhere, and a bright blue sky, it just doesn’t work).

Titanic

1. Add night skybox with no clouds, no moon, but full of stars.
  2. Fill map with dark water.
  3. Import necessary textures.
  4. Build ship with 3D objects and import to map.
  5. Position ship properly, tilt forward at necessary angle.
  6. Add gates and doors to limit access to aft areas of the ship.
  7. Add invisible barriers on gates, as they would be low enough to jump over.
  8. Create lights where required.
  9. Import lifeboat objects and add 2 floating in water. They’re not vehicles, but if you melee one, it will float away.
  10. Add weapons.
  11. Add spawn points.
  12. Slightly lower water kill barrier inside ship, and make windows below the water level indestructible.
  13. Set loadout camera and set map preview image.
  14. Alter weapon textures to better suit the year 1912. (Lol)

Imagine playing a game of Team Slayer on Titanic! It would be so intense, and relatively easy to build, if you had the patience. It would be even cooler if you could make it actively sinking and put enemy Elites all over it, but…

Conclusion
This may be an unrealistic dream, but it’s one I sincerely hope 343i can make come true. I know I haven’t been very specific about how exactly you’d import stuff or make 3D objects, but I’m not a game designer, I’m merely an idealist. Please discuss and comment, and tell me about anything I’ve missed or suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

PS. Could you ever imagine Halo 4 dying with a map editor like this? Coupled with an amazing Campaign (with a Campaign map editor perhaps?), an even better Multiplayer (Matchmaking Custom Games anyone?), Firefight (map editing for that too?) great Customs, and folders for our maps, Halo 4 would never die!

I’d rather have a the map editor to be a program you could download to your PC from a disk. Because when it comes to full map editing programs, PC is just much more handy when it comes to using them. And I’d be completely happy with only pre-set textures in the editor. If we were given ability to use our own textures, I can only imagine it getting very ugly on some people’s part, if you understand what I mean. We have already seen how dirty minded our community is, let’s not give them real pictures to work with.

but otherwise I agree, we really could get a real map editor. But I think there should still be regular Forge in the game for people who don’t have the patience and skill to create maps of their own and only want to have fun with kill balls and stuff.

I’d love to see this but it’s a bit too complicated for everyone to use.

No. The whole point of forge is a small time map editor the way it is. Fun, nice, simple.

Although i would love this idea as a computer program where you can make maps, then put them on your file share or something.

…this would be cool for the 720 but for the 360 its a bit over the top.

btw, do you really think forge 2.0 and forge world are crap?

you must prefer CODs map editor, or maybe BF3’s map editor right?

> I’d rather have a the map editor to be a program you could download to your PC from a disk. Because when it comes to full map editing programs, PC is just much more handy when it comes to using them. And I’d be completely happy with only pre-set textures in the editor. If we were given ability to use our own textures, I can only imagine it getting very ugly on some people’s part, if you understand what I mean. We have already seen how dirty minded our community is, let’s not give them real pictures to work with.
>
> but otherwise I agree, we really could get a real map editor. But I think there should still be regular Forge in the game for people who don’t have the patience and skill to create maps of their own and only want to have fun with kill balls and stuff.

I completely disagree. A full map editor on the game disc is the best thing that could happen. They should combine the Far Cry 2 style of map editor with Forge. Both have their advantages.

> I’d rather have a the map editor to be a program you could download to your PC from a disk. Because when it comes to full map editing programs, PC is just much more handy when it comes to using them. And I’d be completely happy with only pre-set textures in the editor. If we were given ability to use our own textures, I can only imagine it getting very ugly on some people’s part, if you understand what I mean. We have already seen how dirty minded our community is, let’s not give them real pictures to work with.
>
> but otherwise I agree, we really could get a real map editor. But I think there should still be regular Forge in the game for people who don’t have the patience and skill to create maps of their own and only want to have fun with kill balls and stuff.

Maps can be reported and people can be banned, it’s no business of ours what people do in their spare time. I’d rather not be handicapped by a few disturbed individuals.

Yeah, there should be regular Forge as well… imagine Forging on one of your own maps. :wink:

> …this would be cool for the 720 but for the 360 its a bit over the top.
>
> btw, do you really think forge 2.0 and forge world are crap?
>
> you must prefer CODs map editor, or maybe BF3’s map editor right?

No, I prefer Far Cry 2’s. The problem is that it was poorly implemented and nobody plays Far Cry 2 anyway, so it’s pointless.

> I completely disagree. A full map editor on the game disc is the best thing that could happen. They should combine the Far Cry 2 style of map editor with Forge. Both have their advantages.

I agree, a full map editor on the disc itself would be optimal, but the option to use the PC is also a good idea.

Definitely this. I’m not sure the 360 could handle such a thing on top of Halo 4 alone.

> > I’d rather have a the map editor to be a program you could download to your PC from a disk. Because when it comes to full map editing programs, PC is just much more handy when it comes to using them. And I’d be completely happy with only pre-set textures in the editor. If we were given ability to use our own textures, I can only imagine it getting very ugly on some people’s part, if you understand what I mean. We have already seen how dirty minded our community is, let’s not give them real pictures to work with.
> >
> > but otherwise I agree, we really could get a real map editor. But I think there should still be regular Forge in the game for people who don’t have the patience and skill to create maps of their own and only want to have fun with kill balls and stuff.
>
> I completely disagree. A full map editor on the game disc is the best thing that could happen. They should combine the Far Cry 2 style of map editor with Forge. Both have their advantages.

Tho I agree on both points, but if there was a Far Cry style of map editor on the Xbox, then you start getting tons of stupid maps, and remakes of Blood Gulch to the point that one could fill a large pool full of Blood Gulch remakes.
If you stick the map editor on the PC, and make it so it needs to be on a 64bit system, then only people who can use the map editor, will be limited to those who are more likely to be more skilled at map making.

Well, DLC sales would plummit to the ground.

…Map DLC that is.

But if they made the actual map modifier THE DLC, and you had to pay for the ability to play on modded maps and pay extra to actually make maps then it could work.

> > > I’d rather have a the map editor to be a program you could download to your PC from a disk. Because when it comes to full map editing programs, PC is just much more handy when it comes to using them. And I’d be completely happy with only pre-set textures in the editor. If we were given ability to use our own textures, I can only imagine it getting very ugly on some people’s part, if you understand what I mean. We have already seen how dirty minded our community is, let’s not give them real pictures to work with.
> > >
> > > but otherwise I agree, we really could get a real map editor. But I think there should still be regular Forge in the game for people who don’t have the patience and skill to create maps of their own and only want to have fun with kill balls and stuff.
> >
> > I completely disagree. A full map editor on the game disc is the best thing that could happen. They should combine the Far Cry 2 style of map editor with Forge. Both have their advantages.
>
> Tho I agree on both points, but if there was a Far Cry style of map editor on the Xbox, then you start getting tons of stupid maps, and remakes of Blood Gulch to the point that one could fill a large pool full of Blood Gulch remakes.
> If you stick the map editor on the PC, and make it so it needs to be on a 64bit system, then only people who can use the map editor, will be limited to those who are more likely to be more skilled at map making.

So? You cares if people make stupid maps and remakes of Blood Gulch? If that’s what they want to do, let them. It should be accessible to everyone, not just those who would make better maps.

> Well, DLC sales would plummit to the ground.
>
> …Map DLC that is.
>
> But if they made the actual map modifier THE DLC, and you had to pay for the ability to play on modded maps and pay extra to actually make maps then it could work.

Map DLC would still have its place. The developers will always have the tools to make better maps than the community, not to mention the DLC maps would actually have Matchmaking implementation. Making the map editor DLC would be a huge step backwards, splitting that idea in to paying to play on the maps and then having to pay extra to make maps would be a giant jump off a cliff.

> > Well, DLC sales would plummit to the ground.
> >
> > …Map DLC that is.
> >
> > But if they made the actual map modifier THE DLC, and you had to pay for the ability to play on modded maps and pay extra to actually make maps then it could work.
>
> Map DLC would still have its place. The developers will always have the tools to make better maps than the community, not to mention the DLC maps would actually have Matchmaking implementation. Making the map editor DLC would be a huge step backwards, splitting that idea in to paying to play on the maps and then having to pay extra to make maps would be a giant jump off a cliff.

Why is it the Noble/Defiant playlists are always populated with no more than 1000 players at any time of day?

Forge world.

So many variants of maps all for free, yes they maybe seas of grey, But they are so numerous and FREE.

Paying 800msp to be able to play on community created maps then if you want to make some of your own will cost you 1600 msp.
u are getting access to an unlimited amount of maps so as long as the community keep making them.

Maybe you could download extra tools like extra lighting effects for “micro transactions”.
You’re only paying the same amount that you would for three maps ( 800 msp ) but yo

> > > Well, DLC sales would plummit to the ground.
> > >
> > > …Map DLC that is.
> > >
> > > But if they made the actual map modifier THE DLC, and you had to pay for the ability to play on modded maps and pay extra to actually make maps then it could work.
> >
> > Map DLC would still have its place. The developers will always have the tools to make better maps than the community, not to mention the DLC maps would actually have Matchmaking implementation. Making the map editor DLC would be a huge step backwards, splitting that idea in to paying to play on the maps and then having to pay extra to make maps would be a giant jump off a cliff.
>
> Why is it the Noble/Defiant playlists are always populated with no more than 1000 players at any time of day?
>
> Forge world.
>
> So many variants of maps all for free, yes they maybe seas of grey, But they are so numerous and FREE.
>
> Paying 800msp to be able to play on community created maps then if you want to make some of your own will cost you 1600 msp.
> u are getting access to an unlimited amount of maps so as long as the community keep making them.
>
> Maybe you could download extra tools like extra lighting effects for “micro transactions”.
> You’re only paying the same amount that you would for three maps ( 800 msp ) but yo

The Noble/Defiant playlists have a low population due to poor implementation. People are constantly complaining about how they implemented DLC in playlists. These kinds of maps are always going to be more popular than community created ones for a number of reasons. If they made people pay for community created maps I can guarantee there would be a major uproar.

I’ve made a detailed list of tools I’d like Halo 4’s forge to have. check it out of you like to…

Link : http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst12548_Wishes-for-Halo-4-s-Forge---Community-Discussion.aspx

Maybe H5 or H6, the 360 could not take this and/or H4 is too far into production.

> Maybe H5 or H6, the 360 could not take this and/or H4 is too far into production.

A lot of this (such as terrain editor and modifiable skybox) can indeed happen on the 360, in fact, they already have.

This idea, Is amazing in its self. But it seems like you have been watching too many Halo:Custom Edition Videos. This idea does seem a little too far fetched for the Xbox 360 and would be better on a newer console whenever that comes out but for now Halo: Custom Edition Thrives because of its As the name states, Custom abilites. If you take a look at some of its more amazing maps you will deffinatly see people love that game. The tools are hard but if you work on it enough the maps turn out well. An example would be Sciophobia. Small slayer type map built in space, really well done interrior and great use of the map editior to make small tunnels and hall ways also the breakable glass area at the bottom of the map were you fall into space. The custom vehicles in Coldsnap/Extinction would be an awesome experience for players to have. Aespeically awnsering to the community of what we have been wanting for 10 years now in actual match making but darn bungie never listend to us and didnt give us pelicans in forge/custom games. Sure we got a taste w/o mods in Halo:Reach campaign but it was pathetic cause it was in the last 30 seconds of campaign, The pelican is also extremly underpowered in comparison to the phantom (in Halo 2 they were perfectly even Vehicles, both had all directional movement and Speed boost something that was lacking on the pelican aswell as actuall speed because it was a slow -Yoink- in reach.)

i think the best thing to do is instead of taking up more room on the disc that instead they should make a program on you PC so yuo can customize the map fully and then save to your flash drive and import it from FD to your Halo 4 folder on your xbox so that way you can make fun maps and even Forgeable FF.

o.0?

Some kids around here think it’s impossible to implement a map editor to halo 4 and stating that “the Xbox 360 can’t handle it.” while there’s many map editors for different games on the xbox 360 so don’t say its not possible.