Halo 4 NEEDS a Beta!

My reasons why…

• New game modes

• New weapons

• New style of game play because its been confirmed that there will be custom load outs.
    (I myself really don’t like this idea. For the pure fact that everyone had a equal chance from the stand go. If there is no beta, then how can we test these weapons and load outs. If 343 are making HUGE changes to multiplayer, then they have to least get everything balanced out perfectly!)

• This is 343i’s first huge online game…how do we know if the servers are going to hold?

Just small things like this clearly add up. THERE WILL NEED TO BE A BETA!

{{I am in a rush, so I will come back to this thread later and update it for more reasons to why it needs an online beta.

Complain all you want but there will not be one. Deal with it.

No OP

There’s no complete need for Beta. Beta can gain valuable information but it slows down the process of development as well.

These game developers are some of the best in the world, the lead multiplayer developer did the Halo 2 multiplayer, and the lead sound developer is did Metal Gear Solid. I have complete faith in the developers to get it right.

They have internal beta testers that play the game inside and out to balance and tweak the game. Reach had a beta and that too was complete garbage, there’s no need for Beta.

Only people who think so are self-entitled gamers that are getting to used to the idea of Open Betas being used as a Demo to see if the game is any good.

> No OP

Yes OP, You will look back on this thread if you find that the multiplayer sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I have huge faith in them, but growing up playing Halo CE - Reach…I Know it will feel VERY different.

There is a beta, there isnt an “open beta”. Honestly what we provided in the beta was little more then stress testing their network. Tiny changes could be made but thats about it by the time we get to see it.

I look at it as Halo CE and Halo 2 didnt have open beta and they were the best of the series. Halo 3 and Reach had betas and they were awful.

> > No OP
>
> Yes OP, You will look back on this thread if you find that the multiplayer sucks.
>
> Dont get me wrong, I have huge faith in them, but growing up playing Halo CE - Reach…I Know it will feel VERY different.

mm mmmn No…No OP…

You can’t possibly say that Halo 4 needs a beta.

First of all OP, the reason you list fall into the catagory of “focus testing.” Not only is that covered already (listen to the last podcast for details) but I don’t think that testing it among us (Halo fans) would yield any positive results. In being Halo fans we’ve come to love a very particular type of gameplay but for 343 evolving that style into something that can sustain another trilogy is a problem they have to face, one which we probably aren’t prepared to accept until the full “argument” for those changes can be appreciated in the final game.

Secondly, the point of a Beta isn’t to focus test. It’s to run the game in a reasonable approximation of a normal online environment to see how well it holds up in technical terms. Bug fixing, network testing, and all that is why some companies spend so much time and effort in orchestrating a massive test of their game. If, however, those companies feel that such bug fixing and network testing is unnecessary (perhaps because the game isn’t a lurching monstrocity held together by duct tape and bailing wire) then there’s no point in putting that much into what would then pretty much be an online demo (which a game as high-profile as Halo doesn’t need either.)

I think of it this way, Reach had a beta and look how it turned out. The MM was great but everything else was not so great. What ever complaints we have about the Halo 4 MM 343 can fix but when comes to the campain they can’t. I would rather them not do a beta and produce an amazing game than do a beta and have another Reach.

> There’s no complete need for Beta.
> They have internal beta testers that play the game inside and out to balance and tweak the game.
>
> Only people who think so are self-entitled gamers that are getting to used to the idea of Open Betas being used as a Demo to see if the game is any good.

> I think of it this way, Reach had a beta and look how it turned out. The MM was great but everything else was not so great. What ever complaints we have about the Halo 4 MM 343 can fix but when comes to the campain they can’t. I would rather them not do a beta and produce an amazing game than do a beta and have another Reach.

Well there is going to be a beta no matter what. It will just be privately done with a smaller number of people.

No, I think a beta would be a mistake… Keep the testing internal and surprise the consumers at release.

Betas tend to make a game feel less fresh.

Also kids who are bad during the beta may avoid buying the game at release, for they know they are going to lose a lot.

> > I think of it this way, Reach had a beta and look how it turned out. The MM was great but everything else was not so great. What ever complaints we have about the Halo 4 MM 343 can fix but when comes to the campain they can’t. I would rather them not do a beta and produce an amazing game than do a beta and have another Reach.
>
> Well there is going to be a beta no matter what. It will just be privately done with a smaller number of people.

True but it will only be the employees though. I think the only people that they would bring in is the guys at Rooster Teeth. They will definitely get their hands on Halo 4 before us.

We need a beta!

First all those employed by 343 off the forum. second 343 need a stress test it network with a open beta. in the past the network has crashed due to the heavy load. i don’t care if it held together with a steel beams or duck tape they need to do a large stress test and last i cheek the two ways you do that hire a ton of video test like me or a open beta. if I don’t see the Test resoles from the in house im not going to play it for three days when it realised.

I’m good. I want the gameplay to be actually new when I get the game.

There is a Beta, it’s just 100% completly private to 343i

> My reasons why…
>
> - New game modes
>
> - New weapons
>
> - New style of game play because its been confirmed that there will be custom load outs.
> (I myself really don’t like this idea. For the pure fact that everyone had a equal chance from the stand go. If there is no beta, then how can we test these weapons and load outs. If 343 are making HUGE changes to multiplayer, then they have to least get everything balanced out perfectly!)
>
> - This is 343i’s first huge online game…how do we know if the servers are going to hold?
>
> Just small things like this clearly add up. THERE WILL NEED TO BE A BETA!
>
> {{I am in a rush, so I will come back to this thread later and update it for more reasons to why it needs an online beta.

Also in games with Beta’s players end up finding a lot of the bugs, glitches, and un-balancing elements in the game. Imagine Reach without a beta how would it have played on release (scary thought huh). So I agree, Even if a beta will “interupt the creative process” of Halo 4’s development a Beta will ensure bug fixes, balancing issues and leave us with wanting more.

I don’t think it’s arrogant to say that a few hundred thousand people can find exponentially more bugs than a few hundred.

So yeah.

Ok so Reach had a beta it was terrible, the bloom, nades, armor lock, DMR had 12 bullets ok? so you guys would have rather had the beta be the final version of this garbage. Betas are made for a reason “feedback”, we’d be playing the beta pretty much if they didn’t have a beta. Case closed. There needs to be a beta, I don’t want the whole server crashing and take 2 hours to find a game. People will find glitches and other things to manipulate the game. Let’s see would you rather have 100-150 people test the game or 1,000,000 people hmmm…