Halo 4 Must Evolve w/ the Times

Guys, look. As hard as it is to believe, things get old, and one of those things is classic Halo. Halo 3’s gameplay is just outright outdated. Face reality, people: gameplay like that has been used for nearly 15-20 years. Does anyone remember older fps games like 007 or Time Splitters? Yeah, those old games had what you guys define as Halo “core gameplay and mechanics” (except these didn’t have sophisticated vehicles like Banshees at the time, though). Halo needs to change…

Halo needs to catch up with modern day FPS standards which involves in extensive customization and features in the game (especially in MM). I’ve seen a lot of people commenting in this forum how they went back to Halo 2 and 3, and felt something was missing - something that Reach had and offered. So, why do I say yes to most of these new announced mechanics and features? It’s a new game and a new developer… So, guess what? <mark>I’m expecting to have NEW and FUN experiences.</mark> That in mind, Halo 2 or 3 felt like something was lacking because Reach, on the other hand, opened opportunities to a variety of new, different scenarios in the game and, therefore, new experiences thanks to additions like AA’s. Halo CE/2/3 can’t do that with it’s bare and simple gameplay. So that’s why I keep bumping into these posts that say that
features like customizable loadouts, random power weapon spawns (which are quite predictable, btw), and AA’s give the gameplay more depth.

…And people still have the nerve to claim that these new additions don’t have any reasonable argument to back them up.

And before you guys say “Oh, they shouldn’t add new features… just look at Reach…” I’ll tell you this:

Reach had new features and game mechanics like AA’s implemented in a mediocre manner - things were unbalanced. The TU is proof of how much better it could’ve been done. Now, Armor Lock, for example, isn’t even that much of a big deal at all. It’s definitely more balanced today. If 343i did that with Reach, what’s stopping them from making Halo 4 - a game absolutely their own - balanced? As far as I’m concerned, they’re doing stuff like punishing people who are using Sprint when shot at by slowing them down instead. Not to mention that they can update and tweak anything that’s off early on with TU’s.

Besides, classic playlists have been confirmed so 343i is catering to everyone. But no… you guys NEED to complain about that as well, nonetheless. People are actually still moaning, whimpering, and crying. Those who crave for a classic experience are getting what they want. Don’t be selfish. And I still bet some of these people will not yet be satisfied with the classic playlists when they’re released because it’s not EXACTLY like H2/3. So guess what… if you literally want the exact same thing, YOU CAN GO BACK TO THAT GAME AND PLAY IT. No need to turn H4 into H3. I wouldn’t pay $60 bucks on a game I already own. I already have Halo 3. What about you?

And finally, before jumping into conclusions… just because I actually like/suspend judgement on these new additions to the franchise doesn’t mean I’m some casual noob. I’ve been a long time fan of the game, and I’m very well above average as a player.

Edited by Moderator - Please refrain from making nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

go play cod pls k thnkz

Translation: My attention span is limited. I’m bored of what’s been done already, give me something new and fresh to satisfy my desire for entertainment which I can then throw away when the next big thing comes! Forget about making timeless classics like chess or growing the video game industry into new areas like esports. Just give me my cheap entertainment fix!

Don’t worry, OP. Majority of consumers are just like you, and it’s what the industry does best: produce cheap, crappy sources of entertainment that have no depth and are designed to be thrown away when the next sequel comes out.

I tend to agree mostly, while I still enjoy going back and playing older halo’s especially CE and 3 I tend to feel like much more could of been done with those games. I absolutely hated the equipment in halo 3 and refuse to use any of it in multiplayer even when I play the game today, because its just so cheesy in some aspects and a pure cheat in others when it comes down to it. I also feel like so many moments could of been better with a little sprint added in, while some may say oh well they could just increase the base movement speed but none of these posters have said by how much. Gameplay would be atrocious with sprinting movement speed… and at that pace eventually your eyes would become cinders.

Lots of this 343 bashing is senseless, and I feel like they have alot of the right ideas in mind when it comes down to what they expect Halo 4 to play like and become. I’m excited to see what the new gameplay is like, I’m only caustious about jetpack being in the game still as I felt no matter how balanced they tried to make it it still added to the more broken parts of Reach. But I honestly hope things turn out well, and I’m glad to see another positive post thank you.

These arguments absolutely fall to pieces when you look at games like CoD, Starcraft, Total War, etc…

Games don’t need to change and people generally don’t get bored of things they like. I play Chess and Ultimate Frisbee. Those games are not going to change much if at all and I will enjoy them for the rest of my life. Same with a LOT of people.

Halo does not need to “get with the times” and frankly I believe it is all this change that has put Halo in the position it is in now.

People will, and always will, complain. It’s part of the community. We all can agree on that 343 should make a good game, so before jumping to any conclusions, how about give them a chance?

I feel they will make the game very enjoyable and memorable as well as unique, just as much as the previous games have been. If anything I would of enjoyed seeing the game come with just sprint as a permanent ability, and the others just as pick ups or such simply because I’ve seen how much players can abuse the more dominant armor abilitys due to Reach. But in some ways I can see what 343 means when theyve said they didnt feel like they should go backwards with what bungie has done over the years even when it comes to armor abilitys. I can only be confident that 343 will do a stellar job and bring the series ahead of the curve once again with Halo 4.

I just think being negative toward them or the game itself isnt helping the series any at all, and sometimes I respect how people feel toward the additions. We all in general want Halo to reach its peak with gameplay and excitement once again.

> These arguments absolutely fall to pieces when you look at games like CoD, Starcraft, Total War, etc…
>
> Games don’t need to change and people generally don’t get bored of things they like. I play Chess and Ultimate Frisbee. Those games are not going to change much if at all and I will enjoy them for the rest of my life. Same with a LOT of people.
>
> Halo does not need to “get with the times” and frankly I believe it is all this change that has put Halo in the position it is in now.

And look where the Guitar Hero franchise is today. They didnt change or innovate anything at all wi each passing title. That’s why they were stopped from making anymore sequels. And good point on CoD. Honestly, I saw this coming. Truth is, however, CoD is lucky the fps market is what is dominating the videogame market nowadays. And CoD is right at the top of it.

Don’t get me wrong either… I wouldnt mind playing sme classic Halo from time to time, and I certainly will try out thiss classic experience that has been cnfirmed for H4.

> > These arguments absolutely fall to pieces when you look at games like CoD, Starcraft, Total War, etc…
> >
> > Games don’t need to change and people generally don’t get bored of things they like. I play Chess and Ultimate Frisbee. Those games are not going to change much if at all and I will enjoy them for the rest of my life. Same with a LOT of people.
> >
> > Halo does not need to “get with the times” and frankly I believe it is all this change that has put Halo in the position it is in now.
>
> And look where the Guitar Hero franchise is today. They didnt change or innovate anything at all wi each passing title. That’s why they were stopped from making anymore sequels. And good point on CoD. Honestly, I saw this coming. Truth is, however, CoD is lucky the fps market is what is dominating the videogame market nowadays. And CoD is right at the top of it.
>
> Don’t get me wrong either… I wouldnt mind playing sme classic Halo from time to time, and I certainly will try out thiss classic experience that has been cnfirmed for H4.

How far can you take Guitar Hero. That is a bad example because the gameplay is so limited to one thing. I mean Rock Band did about as much with the Guitar Hero style of gameplay that is possible.

Bottom line is there really was no room for innovation and even then they made like 5+ games in 5 years with pretty much the same gameplay and people ate it up.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> Guys, look. As hard as it is to believe, things get old, and one of those things is classic Halo. Halo 3’s gameplay is just outright outdated. Face reality, people: gameplay like that has been used for nearly 15-20 years. Does anyone remember older fps games like 007 or Time Splitters? Yeah, those old games had what you guys define as Halo “core gameplay and mechanics” (except these didn’t have sophisticated vehicles like Banshees at the time, though). Halo needs to change…
>
> Halo needs to catch up with modern day FPS standards which involves in extensive customization and features in the game (especially in MM). I’ve seen a lot of people commenting in this forum how they went back to Halo 2 and 3, and felt something was missing - something that Reach had and offered. So, why do I say yes to most of these new announced mechanics and features? It’s a new game and a new developer… So, guess what? <mark>I’m expecting to have NEW and FUN experiences.</mark> That in mind, Halo 2 or 3 felt like something was lacking because Reach, on the other hand, opened opportunities to a variety of new, different scenarios in the game and, therefore, new experiences thanks to additions like AA’s. Halo CE/2/3 can’t do that with it’s bare and simple gameplay. So that’s why I keep bumping into these posts that say that
> .
> .
> .
> features like customizable loadouts, random power weapon spawns (which are quite predictable, btw), and AA’s give the gameplay more depth.
>
> …And people still have the nerve to claim that these new additions don’t have any reasonable argument to back them up.
>
> And before you guys say “Oh, they shouldn’t add new features… just look at Reach…” I’ll tell you this:
>
> Reach had new features and game mechanics like AA’s implemented in a mediocre manner - things were unbalanced. The TU is proof of how much better it could’ve been done. Now, Armor Lock, for example, isn’t even that much of a big deal at all. It’s definitely more balanced today. If 343i did that with Reach, what’s stopping them from making Halo 4 - a game absolutely their own - balanced? As far as I’m concerned, they’re doing stuff like punishing people who are using Sprint when shot at by slowing them down instead. Not to mention that they can update and tweak anything that’s off early on with TU’s.
>
> Besides, classic playlists have been confirmed so 343i is catering to everyone. But no… you guys NEED to complain about that as well, nonetheless. People are actually still moaning, whimpering, and crying. Those who crave for a classic experience are getting what they want. Don’t be selfish. And I still bet some of these people will not yet be satisfied with the classic playlists when they’re released because it’s not EXACTLY like H2/3. So guess what… if you literally want the exact same thing, YOU CAN GO BACK TO THAT GAME AND PLAY IT. No need to turn H4 into H3. I wouldn’t pay $60 bucks on a game I already own. I already have Halo 3. What about you?
>
> And finally, before jumping into conclusions… just because I actually like/suspend judgement on these new additions to the franchise doesn’t mean I’m some casual noob. I’ve been a long time fan of the game, and I’m very well above average as a player.

Shut the -Yoink- up and go play COD you whiny little -Yoink-.

> > > These arguments absolutely fall to pieces when you look at games like CoD, Starcraft, Total War, etc…
> > >
> > > Games don’t need to change and people generally don’t get bored of things they like. I play Chess and Ultimate Frisbee. Those games are not going to change much if at all and I will enjoy them for the rest of my life. Same with a LOT of people.
> > >
> > > Halo does not need to “get with the times” and frankly I believe it is all this change that has put Halo in the position it is in now.
> >
> > And look where the Guitar Hero franchise is today. They didnt change or innovate anything at all wi each passing title. That’s why they were stopped from making anymore sequels. And good point on CoD. Honestly, I saw this coming. Truth is, however, CoD is lucky the fps market is what is dominating the videogame market nowadays. And CoD is right at the top of it.
> >
> > Don’t get me wrong either… I wouldnt mind playing sme classic Halo from time to time, and I certainly will try out thiss classic experience that has been cnfirmed for H4.
>
> How far can you take Guitar Hero. That is a bad example because the gameplay is so limited to one thing. I mean Rock Band did about as much with the Guitar Hero style of gameplay that is possible.
>
> Bottom line is there really was no room for innovation and even then they made like 5+ games in 5 years with pretty much the same gameplay and people ate it up.

Then again, how do you explain why sports like soccer and basketball dont change and videogames do? Honestly, sports do change… Nw they’re more technical and physically demanding than ever before. Videogames are essentially technologics which is in a constant and inevitable road of changing and updating. I mean, really, nowadays you can do anything with technology. So it’s not as locked and limited. I am asked to update sometng in my cellphone, xbox, or even computer at least once every week.

“Modern day FPS standards”, no such thing exists. Your standards are just like fashion, something that people like because it’s popular, something that will eventually go away. Take sprint for example, it’s a redundant gameplay mechanic in many games such as Halo, but the developers want to add it for the sake of popularity even though it serves no real purpose for gameplay.

Following trends is a dead end. Many games that ahve tried to follow the CoD formula have failed. Doing what everyone else is doing will only make you blend into the crowd and make you less popular. If you really want to make a memorable game, if you really want to have an impact, you don’t follow the trends. You make something different from what everyone else is doing. If it works, it works. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. But in the case of a game like Halo, difference from other games can only make it more popular because it’s not like the fans would quit.

But yes, there are no FPS standards. Homogenization of the genre to bunch of class based military shooters will only make it boring for the players. The genre needs variety and Halo, being a popular shooter with arena roots is the perfect game to end this mass homogenization. But still, it seems like 343i rather go with trends that will eventually fade away than create a unique game.

Halo has always been evolving… unfortunately its been evolving more toward catering to players that are worse at the game. Since Halo CE every halo game has slowed movement speed from its predecessor, bigger hit box, better aim assist, aim acceleration etc. In Reach I think it just went too far. In Reach the entire element of skill was practically eliminated. Strafing was too slow, and the hit box was the side of a barn. (not literally)

I guess I see it more as a step forward to ask players to get better and challenge themselves instead of handing them perks, and in these new features all I’m seeing is more steps toward it Armor Abilities can’t be balanced. PERIOD. They can’t I’m sorry end of story. Neither will perks. Everyone should start with an even playing field and have to rely on their strafe and aiming skills to win the battle, Not "Hey, I’m a super high level and have amazing perks because I play the game alot -_-

Changing with the times means Halo will become like every other FPS where you run out like a chicken without a head, die and come right back and do it again. That isn’t Halo, Halo gave value to each and every kill on the map by punishing you for making stupid decisions. These other games and their more “modern” features only deter from the actual shooting part of the game.

And don’t you dare say something is missing in Halo 2. Halo 2 is the reason you have online console gaming in the first place. That game is a masterpiece and if it where to be re-released with new graphics it would reign supreme on the XBL charts for another 3 years. CoD is garbage because they make a new one every year with the same exact gameplay. In CoD they even reward you for sucking. Who wants to play a game where you can earn something for being terrible at it?

I want 343 to make the best game possible, but making the gameplay rock/paper/scissors only deters from the “shooting” in a First Person “Shooter”

I’ll see you all of you on Infinity. :slight_smile: FTW!

OP sees things sort of like the dubstep phenomenon that is sweeping popular music. Some artists will choose to incorporate that style of music in their recordings to go with the flow yet there are musicians who will remain making music that is more true to their previous releases. If Halo 4 goes with all these new customizations and loadouts and tomfoolery they will just lose credibility as original game developers.

And for the record, I like dubstep, just making a point.