Halo 4 Multiplayer Suggestion

PROBLEM:
With the past Halo game releases, the multiplayer has always been a great part of the overall game. However, certain people play for different reasons, and this often can cause problems with the multiplayer. For example, in Halo 3, the ranking system worked incredibly well, except for rank-boosters and some level 50s not being that great. In Halo: Reach, this was perfected with the Arena, but it turned out ultimately to be a failure because it lacked incentive, and the regular multiplayer had no good ranking systems. Looking at these two games, I have come up with a good idea to establish a system that would work for all players alike.

SOLUTION:
First off, I would re-establish a ranking system similar to Arena and Halo 3. This Skill Rank would be separate from your overall Cr rank, if they continue that, and would be multiplayer only. The way it would work is you would start off with no skill number for 5 games, then you would receive a rank from 1-60 that would be more like a skill ratio, 1 being terrible and 60 being a pro. 30 would be breaking even. The rank would be based on win/loss, personal score, and objectives completed. You would lose rank if you repeatedly quit or betrayed other players. As you did better, you would improve, and as you did worse, you would decrease. Newer stats would be weighted more than older ones, so you wouldn’t end up stagnated at a rank. Also, since it is a ratio and not a progressive rank, newer players with good skill wouldn’t be stuck at lower levels, and you wouldn’t improve with time if your skills remained stagnant. It would be the best for fair and competitive gameplay.

PLAYLISTS:
In Halo, there are three main groups of players. One is the majority who want to play for fun, but have a good, evenly matched game. Another is the major-competitive group who wants hardcore gaming in a professional arena. The final one is the people who want to kick back, relax, and do whatever they feel like, and don’t care about stats or anything.Because of these diverse groups, and that people are often in different moods and may want to switch off, I have a system that will work. Multiplayer would have three categories (like social vs ranked), which would be Hardcore, Ranked, and Social.

-Hardcore is an MLG-style playlist where players compete for the top ranking each match; 1-player max, no partying up, play to win. Weapon spawns are modified to reduce power weapons and advantages. Required skill of 30 to participate; playlist is only for the extremely dedicated.
-Hardcore FFA: 6-player FFA.
-Hardcore Duel: 1v1 playlists
-Hardcore Team Slayer: 4v4 Team Slayer variants-Hardcore Team Objective: 4v4 symmetrical objective games.

-Ranked is like a mixture of Halo 3’s ranked and social; playlists are competitive and divided up by the skill ranking (1-60). This will be the main multiplayer mode. Max party/local players are number on teams.
-Lone Wolves: 8-player FFA, Slayer and Objective games.
-Multi-team: 4 teams of 2, Slayer and Objective games.
-Team Slayer: 4v4 Team Slayer variants
-Team Objective 4v4 Objective games.
-Team SWAT: 4v4 Team Slayer, BR and Magnum, no sensors & shields.
-Team Snipers: 4v4 Team Slayer, Sniper weapon starts.
-Invasion: 6v6 Elites/Assassins vs. Spartans in 3-tier objective gametypes.
-Big Team Battle: 8v8 Slayer and Objective games.

-Social is like a mosh pit of nothing but fun; takes no skill but who cares? This playlist is for the people who want to have fun and fun only; your stats don’t count. You can create personalized Loadouts with fair weapon choices.
-Mosh Pit: 16-player FFA, Slayer and Objective games.
-The Forges: 4v4 Slayer on community forge maps, playtesting
-Action Sack: 8 players, Random game types like Grifball, Rocket Race, etc.
-Battlefield: 8v8 Slayer and Objective games.
What do you think? Leave criticisms, additions, or comments below.

Reserved for future additions.

Sounds interesting but I dont like the idea of rank on how you do. This will cause Stat -Yoink!--ing and betray for weapons.

That’s a good point I forgot to mention. Repeatedly betraying teammates should also add an automatic rank penalty, discouraging this from happening in the Hardcore and Ranked. I don’t get how this would cause stat -Yoink!-, because the system will focus mostly on winning and then completing the objective, getting rid of the problem of k/d boosters in objective gametypes. If you could expand on what you mean, and suggest some of your own improvements, it would be great.

Ya alot of the people want a H2 and Reach sysem combined. cR for armor and the Halo 2 ranking system for high skill ranking up, and overall rank. I would like to see something like this exept the ranking system could be not so hard to rank up as in H2 and not so easy in H3.

Btw K/D makes your rank go up= stat -Yoink!-. Even if getting the obj would help your rank what do you think someone would rather do? Stat -Yoink!- in there cozy little corner or risk your life and your rank for something you can bring all the way back to your base just to get killed so the stat -Yoink!- cant get the cap.

> Ya alot of the people want a H2 and Reach sysem combined. cR for armor and the Halo 2 ranking system for high skill ranking up, and overall rank. I would like to see something like this exept the ranking system could be not so hard to rank up as in H2 and not so easy in H3.

The ranking system should be exactly as hard as Halo 2 because the impossibility to Reach 50 would mean that people wouldn’t have to make new accounts or derank to start all over again because they could never get to 50. I have always wanted a ranking system where the top ranks are near impossible because it gives everyone something to do while guaranteeing that everyone plays with players on their skill level.

> > Ya alot of the people want a H2 and Reach sysem combined. cR for armor and the Halo 2 ranking system for high skill ranking up, and overall rank. I would like to see something like this exept the ranking system could be not so hard to rank up as in H2 and not so easy in H3.
>
> The ranking system should be exactly as hard as Halo 2 because the impossibility to Reach 50 would mean that people wouldn’t have to make new accounts or derank to start all over again because they could never get to 50. I have always wanted a ranking system where the top ranks are near impossible because it gives everyone something to do while guaranteeing that everyone plays with players on their skill level.

Sorry for the delay, I couldn’t access the forum for the last couple of days.

With the 1-60 I presented, it will be better than the 1-50 ranks because everyone will be able to play at their current skill level. In halo 3 (maybe halo 2, i came after that era) average people who played a lot might end up being a higher rank than an above-average player who played once in a while. Sometimes even the average players would end up being 50’s because they spent so much time playing. With the 1-60 ratio idea, your skill would be judged after relatively few matches and you would be placed at your level of skill in the system. And yes, it would be incredibly hard to reach 60 unless you were a complete pro.

> K/D makes your rank go up= stat -Yoink!-. Even if getting the obj would help your rank what do you think someone would rather do? Stat -Yoink!- in there cozy little corner or risk your life and your rank for something you can bring all the way back to your base just to get killed so the stat -Yoink!- cant get the cap.

I guess you do have a point there. I have revised k/d out of the equation and replaced it with your score that round, so k/d would only matter in a slayer match. Thx for the suggestion.

> > K/D makes your rank go up= stat -Yoink!-. Even if getting the obj would help your rank what do you think someone would rather do? Stat -Yoink!- in there cozy little corner or risk your life and your rank for something you can bring all the way back to your base just to get killed so the stat -Yoink!- cant get the cap.
>
> I guess you do have a point there. I have revised k/d out of the equation and replaced it with your score that round, so k/d would only matter in a slayer match. Thx for the suggestion.

Nice idea. Funny how everyone notes that Halo 3 was nearly prefect in terms of balance of rank and social and that it got ruined in Reach. Your idea has potential

> > K/D makes your rank go up= stat -Yoink!-. Even if getting the obj would help your rank what do you think someone would rather do? Stat -Yoink!- in there cozy little corner or risk your life and your rank for something you can bring all the way back to your base just to get killed so the stat -Yoink!- cant get the cap.
>
> I guess you do have a point there. I have revised k/d out of the equation and replaced it with your score that round, so k/d would only matter in a slayer match. Thx for the suggestion.

Nice idea. Funny how everyone notes that Halo 3 was nearly prefect in terms of balance of rank and social and that it got ruined in Reach. Your idea has potential

> Nice idea. Funny how everyone notes that Halo 3 was nearly prefect in terms of balance of rank and social and that it got ruined in Reach. Your idea has potential

I agree that it was nearly perfect, because I noticed there were some things that didn’t work too well with the ranking system. Reach tried to use the Arena to fix those flaws, but the new system lacked all incentive and failed miserably. I tried to take the best aspects of each system and combine it into this new idea. Glad you like it.