Halo 4 Multiplayer: First Impressions (LONG)

To start off the thread, no I did not buy Halo 4 for my self, but I did have a few hours of free time to sit with some friends and try out the multiplayer. I don’t see myself playing the story, or Spartan Ops anyway. This is how I felt about the game, and since I have nothing better to do, I decided to write it out.

I was at one of my friends’ house and another one of my friends brought Halo 4, so we had to install it. This took close to an hour and once the bar hit midway we still had enough time to go over a block to a store, grab and ton of chips, count the money to pay for them, come back and make ice tea. By the time we came back, it was almost done, but we still had some waiting time to do. -1 off of Halo 4’s total score.

When we finally started the game, we took a look around the customization. Everyone stuck with recruit because it was the best looking armor. I took a look at the emblems and was dissapointed. I messed around with the load outs and found myself with a bad feeling in my gut as I look at the perks and weapons. Oh, and as we played matches, no matter how many times we looked at the new customization options as we all ranked up, everyone still kept their stuff the same way.

Now, we loaded up our first match of FFA and we played on a small vent and wire infested building. I used the assault rifle since the map was pretty small with tight corridors. So, this is the only thing I liked so far about the game, and it was the default control scheme. I tried to use recon and found myself going back to default and it was really easy to pick up and play (except for crouch being on B, and grenade switching on the d-pad). But the actual movement in the game was really slow feeling and I was constantly crushing my analog stick to sprint. If I suddenly wanted to back up from iminent danger, my spartan literally took his sweet time slowing down his forward speed, and gradually building his backward speed, basically keeping me in one spot for a while while I was holding my stick back so hard I’m surprised my controller didn’t snap (No lag either, the game was running smoothly).

So through out the game I noticed a couple things. The guns constantly switched between an over powered state and a useless state. Some people might call that “balance” and “variety” but it feels like a cop out to me. To be honest I don’t know why since it’s extremely logical, but the assault rifle might as well be trashed to bring back the SMG if it’s only gonna work right if someone is no farther than 5 feet from me. To me, it’s like the guns are balanced but not balanced at the same time. I’ll still give it credit for having atleast some kind of balance though. Another thing I noticed is that Regicide is basically “-Yoink- around and kill each other until the king’s bounty is over 30, unless you’re the king, in which case you better hope someone gets more points than you/you win before the whole lobby is all up in your -Yoink!-”.

Now to keep this short, I played through a bunch of other gametypes, so I’ll only talk about two in particular. Team Slayer Pro and CTF. I’ll get CTF out of the way since I don’t have anything particularly good to say about it. First of all, the “teamwork” that was supposed to be encouraged by the gametype, has it more chaotic and less team oriented than before. It’s still very much centered around kills, and with how fast it is, it’s more chaotic than ever before. Oh, and remember how everyone argued about how whether CTF was gonna be really bad or not because of the new settings? I was in the camp that said it was gonna be bad, and from what I played, everything I suspected would go bad went exactly as suspected;
-The flag is a death trap
-It’s all offensive play, since you’re more worried about the fact that the other team isn’t alive rather than taking your flag. I thought about flag defense only 1 time at most during the whole game (and still won with basically 0 strategy involved)
-I walked over the flag by mistake and died, and no the flagnum did not even come close to saving me

Let’s talk about Team Slayer Pro, my favorite gametype. The reason I love this gametype so much is because;
-no load outs
-no perks
-no ordnance (I hated it even when I got ordnance)

It felt like I was playing Halo and not “Call of Halo : Modern Crysis Ops”. It was simple and it was fun. The killtimes were SUPER short (which I didn’t like) but it was fine. It was what saved the experience for me a bit, but where TSP was the safety net for Halo 4, a lot of everything else ended up being the tears that caused Halo 4 to fall right through into a level where I’d reluctantly recommend it. I can’t see myself playing this on my free time by myself, only rarely with friends in a custom FFA game.

TL;DR: Overall, Halo 4 isn’t the best game in the series by any stretch of the imagination. It isn’t AMAZING, but it’s good enough to atleast be accepted as a continuation. Halo, for me, isn’t about pro playing and strategy and having a 7.0 KD, but it’s muc more about fun, and I had a bit of fun playing it. I like the game, but it isn’t a $60 experience to me (unless the sotry mode can redeem it somehow), but it’s some to experience nevertheless.
The multiplayer gets a 6 out of 10 from me.

Multi player looks like it was made by some college kid who spent his entire life playing CoD and decided to “innovate” the halo series.

I stopped when you said, you don’t play it for the story. The story is one of the best things about Halo…

Does your xbox 360 happen to be a toaster because it took my friends original xbox about 5 minutes to download the game, along with my Elite.

And the flagnum is a beast, you cannot deny.

> I stopped when you said, you don’t play it for the story. The story is one of the best things about Halo…

I had started watching a let’s play of it already, so I already knew I would be to lazy to play through the first mission since I watched it already. And I didn’t say I don’t play for story, I said I wouldn’t be playing Halo 4 for the story, for the reason I described.

> Does your xbox 360 happen to be a toaster because it took my friends original xbox about 5 minutes to download the game, along with my Elite.
>
> And the flagnum is a beast, you cannot deny.

Well, it wasn’t my xbox, but it was only slow to download, not to play. Also, I didn’t like the flagnum when I used it, it’s a poor excuse for not being able to drop the flag to defend yourself properly.

> To start off the thread, no I did not buy Halo 4 for my self, but I did have a few hours of free time to sit with some friends and try out the multiplayer. I don’t see myself playing the story, or Spartan Ops anyway. This is how I felt about the game, and since I have nothing better to do, I decided to write it out.
>
> I was at one of my friends’ house and another one of my friends brought Halo 4, so we had to install it. This took close to an hour and once the bar hit midway we still had enough time to go over a block to a store, grab and ton of chips, count the money to pay for them, come back and make ice tea. By the time we came back, it was almost done, but we still had some waiting time to do. -1 off of Halo 4’s total score.

I stopped reading right here. I have an original Xbox 360 (The 12g one) and it only took me about 4 minutes to install the multiplayer. So I am going to have to call BS on your “It took close to an hour.” The multiplayer is great once you get used to it. You can’t just jump right into a game and be amazing at it. So yeah it takes a while to get used to but after that the game is wonderful IMO.

> > To start off the thread, no I did not buy Halo 4 for my self, but I did have a few hours of free time to sit with some friends and try out the multiplayer. I don’t see myself playing the story, or Spartan Ops anyway. This is how I felt about the game, and since I have nothing better to do, I decided to write it out.
> >
> > I was at one of my friends’ house and another one of my friends brought Halo 4, so we had to install it. This took close to an hour and once the bar hit midway we still had enough time to go over a block to a store, grab and ton of chips, count the money to pay for them, come back and make ice tea. By the time we came back, it was almost done, but we still had some waiting time to do. -1 off of Halo 4’s total score.
>
> I stopped reading right here. I have an original Xbox 360 (The 12g one) and it only took me about 4 minutes to install the multiplayer. So I am going to have to call BS on your “It took close to an hour.” The multiplayer is great once you get used to it. You can’t just jump right into a game and be amazing at it. So yeah it takes a while to get used to but after that the game is wonderful IMO.

We started the install at around 1:50 and it finished at 2:40, plus it wasn’t my xbox, plus we had to download it on a USB because there wasn’t enough space on the xbox itself. Also, I’m not even going to address your opinion if you won’t take the time to read mine, who do you think you are?