Halo 4 Medals...

Anyone else watching the videos, or anything else for that matter, seeing these really awkward “8-bit” style medals, after kills? For a game that’s going forward, those medals sure seem to be going backwards… Anyone else hoping they are simply place-holders?

Have you seen the medals in the latest “UNSC weapons” video or are you referring to the old ones?
I think the new ones look really good actually, colourful but yet comprehensive. Then again, my first console was during the 8-bit era so I might just be “nostalgic” :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, yes I know what you mean about nostalgia. My first console was an Atari lol, I’m not really sure if it’s simply the quality of the images I’m seeing that’s making me think they look a little silly for the game, but I personally don’t think they should be as bright either, I really enjoyed the beat-up look from previous games, I was really hoping to see them return honestly.

> Ah, yes I know what you mean about nostalgia. My first console was an Atari lol, I’m not really sure if it’s simply the quality of the images I’m seeing that’s making me think they look a little silly for the game, but I personally don’t think they should be as bright either, I really enjoyed the beat-up look from previous games, I was really hoping to see them return honestly.

Well now that you mention it, the beat up ones did actually look good, Reach ones at least ^^
Then again, 343i wants to change and while the game is dark, the medals are bright, lol. Maybe they have beat up/realistic versions the next time around when people don’t remember the Reach ones any more and they’re called “new and cool” :wink:
Devs, always thinking 2 steps ahead and one behind…

lmao! I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. I think another way, if I had any say whatsoever, that I would have gone was with maybe a Metro UI look. Seems exceedingly popular these days, and wouldn’t be that hard to produce white, single layer icons to simplify the look.

> lmao! I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. I think another way, if I had any say whatsoever, that I would have gone was with maybe a Metro UI look. Seems exceedingly popular these days, and wouldn’t be that hard to produce white, single layer icons to simplify the look.

Haha, now that is just a great idea!
Wait until Ms hears about this. A new, touchscreen friendly design for medals in Halo. Big, chunky blocks with wide borders around each medal, that you can tap/drag to see what it means. Sure, this is utterly pointless on a TV, but so would most say the Metro is on a stationary Pc too, and that didn’t stop MS :wink:
For even greater glory, in Halo 4 you’ll get a quickshare button that will update your status on facebook/send a tweet “just got an sweet [insert medal] in Halo 4, I’m teh best” ^^
The scary part is that I wouldn’t be surprised if they did :stuck_out_tongue:

We must not forget Smart Glass… The metro style medals would really look great on any of the smart glass components. IMO of course.

I think the new medals will be hard to adjust to and im not sure i will like them very much. guess im too used to the old ones. although i can see why they would overhaul the medals since halo is “under new management”

I actually like the new medals. They look nice.

[deleted]

In most of the gameplay videos we saw BEFORE the UNSC weapon sounds video that was released yesterday, I thought the medals looked absolutely terrible! I am quite pleased with the facelift they were given!

Then again, the medals in the Reach beta looked pretty terrible as well, and I think the medals that are currently in it are gorgeous! So, I guess you could call the current ones that we have seen, “placeholders”.

[deleted]

I hated the medals in the first few video’s I saw, but the ones in the UNSC trailer look really nice. They kind of look metalic.

OK, I may have jumped the gun a little. I watched the latest weapons vids, and was more interested in what guns were on screen, and mostly just focusing on them, seems I may have missed the better looking medals, they are now showing. I must admit they look better. Less neon, and in your face. This new look for the medals may even help with screen clutter. :smiley:

> Anyone else watching the videos, or anything else for that matter, seeing these really awkward “8-bit” style medals, after kills? For a game that’s going forward, those medals sure seem to be going backwards… Anyone else hoping they are simply place-holders?

The older videos used placeholder medals, which appeared more “blue and white”. The ones in the UNSC Weapons Trailer looked more final. They look cooler. Honestly, I feel they improved the looks of them from 2/3/Reach. Earlier titles the medals looked somewhat cartoony or childish. Now, they look badass and sharp.

Also, there were a couple medals I noticed in the videos that grabbed my attention:

They added the “Destroyed Vehicle” medal that was still present in Halo 2’s files and even in Halo 3’s and Reach’s, even though they were never used ingame. Now it seems it’s finally getting use in Halo 4.

On one of the Shotgun kills (first one I think) it looks like there was a redesigned Extermination medal. I could be wrong, but the background structure and skull color matched that of 3 and Reach’s.

The Sniper Rifle has a no-scope medal called Snapshot. Nice.

I also noticed another one on the Sticky Detonator clip where he sticks a hog with it. There appears to be a medal with a black skull with a lightning bolt on it’s forehead.

Honestly, I can understand a medal for Railgun kills, but Rocket kills seem redundant.

I think that the Snapshot medal is cool :smiley:

I think they’re too small. You can barely see them and they’re not very rewarding when it’s that small. :confused:

Watching the new trailers, I really enjoy the effect the medals have. The seem to transition from a blue, and white basic icon, to a colored, more detailed icon, just before they disappear. I do have to agree, it would be nicer to see them a little bigger IMO.

The updated medals in the weaponry vid looked really good. Hope they keep this look now. I remember the Halo reach beta. The medals looked so cool with the aged and damaged effect. Now they’re just plain shiny medals.

> I actually like the new medals. They look nice.

Agreed

Much better then the E3 ones