Halo 4: Mechanics, "Options are cool"

Mechanics, along with the weapons in the sandbox, define gameplay. Duel-wielding, Bloom, Kill Streaks, ADS, Armor Abilities, Perks, Bullet Drop, Hitmarkers, Hit “pings”, and Crouching/Proning are all mechanics. They say how the game will be played. Not all mechanics work, and not all mechanics are good. DMR bloom, for example, is a broken mechanic (until the TU), and is, what I believe to be, a bad mechanic for Halo’s type of gameplay.

Halo 4 should be a game of options, so while not all of the mechanics I listed should become part of default play, there is nothing wrong with including many of them into gametype options. Let’s address some of the mechanics we have seen so far in Halo:

Hitscan: Bullets from hitscan weapons will immediately hit the target that is within the X-Y-Z coordinate path of the weapons’ direction of aim.

> This is the mechanic that could quite possibly fix Halo PC, due to lag and necessity of leading shots. Some are against hitscan since its possible to long range shoot, but other mechanics can quite easily remedy this and it is my opinion that Hitscan should remain.

Aim Assist: Sweeping your reticule at a target causes the reticule to slow down so that it is easier to aim over Online play on console.

> This mechanic is in many games, and cannot be considered bad for the skill gap when it is tuned to certain degrees. In my experience, it is an okay mechanic and is not detrimental to gameplay.

Bullet Magnetism: When aimed at a target, bullets fired from a weapon will tend to move toward a target close to the X-Y-Z coordinate path of the weapon’s direction of aim.

> This mechanic is in direct contest with the Bloom mechanic, and shouldn’t be paired with bloom if bloom is to return. It decreases the skill gap in that you don’t really need t oaim, but a small degree of it (smaller than what is on the DMR, currently) could be implemented to overcome host advantages on Online play.

Bloom: As a weapon is fired, the reticule widens with each shot, but resets back to the base reticule after time.

> Bloom is a contoversial mechanic, as evidenced by many of the posts on Halo forums. It is not a necessary mechanic, and can decrease the skill gap if implemented wrong or coupled with a certain degree of bullet magnetism. It should be alterable, but not default to the game.

Loadouts and Armor Abilities: This gives the player an option to choose his/her own ability to spawn with at each spawn of his/her character.

> These, in turn, promoted an unequal footing if AA’s aren’t properly balanced. AA’s themselves, however, can be ideal pick ups on the map. Both loadouts and AA’s shouldn’t be default.

Damage Loss: A bullet fired loses damage either immediately or over a period of time.

> This mechanic has only ever been in Halo pC, and it prevented the Pistol from shooting past a certain point. This should be inpuuted into the game onto the utilitarian weapons to prevent cross mapping off teh spawn at large distances. Should be default, but optional.

These are only a few of the important mechanics, and the rest I need only summarize:

Sword Block: Player can block a Sword lunge by bashing. Non-default (optional)
Hit “ping”: Every shot place onto any player, regardless of team, results in a audible hit marker. Optional.
Duel-Wielding: Player can hold two weapons while negating bash and grenades during that time. Undecided.

If there are any mechanics that any of you think should be added, removed, or made optional, please post of such below.

No prone no Killstreaks and definatly no ADS. And no bullet drop either but i like how the H3 sniper was real time

> No prone no Killstreaks and definatly no ADS. And no bullet drop either but i like how the H3 sniper was real time

Bullet Drop is only good in huge games, like Battlefield. It shouldn’t even be considered for Halo. As for streaks and ADS, I’m only willing to incorporate more scopes (like on the ODST SMG) but neither should be in Halo as it is.

and no bullet loss, no bloom on All purpose weapons like the BR, as AA’s i could see sprint and evade staying, and maybe a toned down version of jetpack(but i want absoulutly no AA’s in the campaign)

And for bullet magnetism i think that all depends on what weapon you are using, like if you using a hitscan weaopn like the DMR then i dont think it should have too much, Pretty much the way it is in reach it should stay like that in my opinion

But if you using the Real time Battle Rifle from H3 then maybe a bit more or less, but to be honest something like that i would have to test myself to be sure

> and no bullet loss, no bloom on All purpose weapons like the BR, as AA’s i could see sprint and evade staying, and maybe a toned down version of jetpack(but i want absoulutly no AA’s in the campaign)

“Damage” loss should only be on utilitarian weapons like the DMR, BR, and Pistol simply to prevent cross mapping. The distance at which the bullets are inneffective would be rather far, and should have little to no effect on any games outside maps of BTB.

i added some more up there

> And for bullet magnetism i think that all depends on what weapon you are using, like if you using a hitscan weaopn like the DMR then i dont think it should have too much, Pretty much the way it is in reach it should stay like that in my opinion
>
> But if you using the Real time Battle Rifle from H3 then maybe a bit more or less, but to be honest something like that i would have to test myself to be sure

Magnetism isn’t necessary. Its okay to have it in a slight amount (lesser than that on the current DMR), but too much defeats the point of aiming.