Halo 4 maps - Too Detailed?

Are halo 4 maps too detailed?

Just imagine… Halo 5 or Halo 6. ALL of these Halo 4 maps would be impossible to remake in forge. Yet all of the greatest maps of all time in Halo 1,2 and 3 are the easiest to remake in Forge.

Simplicity = More Fun. This fact is also true Gameplay wise. The ordinances and all that crap arent as fun as old school simple halo gameplay.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not make nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

This is the dumbest thread ever.

ok ladies and gentlemen, we have officially complained about every single aspect of this game.

>

this and also a dumb thread

shakes head and sighs

I wouldn’t say so.

The important aspect of a map is the playable geometry, not the visuals of it.

None of the Halo 4 maps are “too detailed” when it comes to the playable geometry part. They’re rich on visual detailes but as far as those go, there’s nothing they do that are part of the actual moving around and shooting.

I’d say that all current maps are forgable in Halo 4’s forge. Perhaps not the larger ones due to budget limits.

Too detailed? No.

before we flame the guy, I think that we should hear him out. Personally I think that some games and maps have not expanded enough over time.

take for example BF3, the maps are huge, less focus on detail, but that can be worked on over time, I personally think that BF4 will be amazing.

If you look at perdition, there’s little areas which are pretty redundant such as that vortexy bit near the edge (can’t find picture), which instead, the size of the maps could be map bigger. (I’m glad to say that castle was bigger)

Why? For better vehicle use. Remember boneyard on reach? or Sandtrap on halo 3? they had wide open spaces for vehicles to roam and fly. Now there is no place for vehicles, exile big team battle is the only map and playlist with the scorpion in it (to my current knowledge).

It’s all about balance, and although I do like halo 4’s graphics, which is what it will be remembered for, functionality for vehicles has been -YOINKED!- on.

> before we flame the guy, I think that we should hear him out. Personally I think that some games and maps have not expanded enough over time.
>
> take for example BF3, the maps are huge, less focus on detail, but that can be worked on over time, I personally think that BF4 will be amazing.
>
> If you look at perdition, there’s little areas which are pretty redundant such as that vortexy bit near the edge (can’t find picture), which instead, the size of the maps could be map bigger. (I’m glad to say that castle was bigger)
>
> Why? For better vehicle use. Remember boneyard on reach? or Sandtrap on halo 3? they had wide open spaces for vehicles to roam and fly. Now there is no place for vehicles, exile big team battle is the only map and playlist with the scorpion in it (to my current knowledge).
>
> It’s all about balance, and although I do like halo 4’s graphics, which is what it will be remembered for, functionality for vehicles has been -YOINKED!- on.

I think that the wide open spaces for vehicles kind of were “removed” to give vehicles a chance to survive. Weapon despawn time is almost instant due to there being so many powerweapons in use, and there are long range weapons such as the DMR being able to trash vehicles.

Either way, that backfired as vehicles are now forced to move in smaller spaces which makes vehicle combat more tedious as well as having the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenade as loadout stuff, totally destroys any vehicle role as it’s easier to take down a vehicle in CQC than long range, with weapons not designed to do so.

Valhalla was fun to use the Wraith in due to the mortar arc, got many kills simply unloading plasma strike after plasma strike to the other side. Even betrayed a friend twice in the same match, while he was in a banshee, both times.

Either way, the more open maps are better at vehicle combat but the whole positive thing is instantly pulled back as when players hear an engine roar on the other side of the hill, they whip out their green flashlights and blue snowballs. If I manage to survive one EMP, I’m bound to run into another player who’s allready charged his PP.

To be able to have vehicle combat, maps need more open spaces, but the power weapon economy needs to be brought back down to a proper value. Plasma Pistols and grenades wouldn’t be so dangerous if there were more open spaces to run around int with vehicles.

This topic has been done time and time again. This is arguably the best one.

That said, I just hope they are able to increase the draw/rendering distance (low rendering sticks out like a sore thumb in this game, texture pop-in could use a reduction) and the Field of View (which was probably left unchanged from Reach due to how increasing it forces more rendering. But a bigger FoV can contribute to movement perception and make the overall experience better).

Imo the next xbox will fix these problems

I won’t say that they are too detailed, but I will say that Certain Affinity spends just a little(read: a lot) bit too much time focusing on aesthetics over how the game would actually play.

> > before we flame the guy, I think that we should hear him out. Personally I think that some games and maps have not expanded enough over time.
> >
> > take for example BF3, the maps are huge, less focus on detail, but that can be worked on over time, I personally think that BF4 will be amazing.
> >
> > If you look at perdition, there’s little areas which are pretty redundant such as that vortexy bit near the edge (can’t find picture), which instead, the size of the maps could be map bigger. (I’m glad to say that castle was bigger)
> >
> > Why? For better vehicle use. Remember boneyard on reach? or Sandtrap on halo 3? they had wide open spaces for vehicles to roam and fly. Now there is no place for vehicles, exile big team battle is the only map and playlist with the scorpion in it (to my current knowledge).
> >
> > It’s all about balance, and although I do like halo 4’s graphics, which is what it will be remembered for, functionality for vehicles has been -YOINKED!- on.
>
> <mark>I think that the wide open spaces for vehicles kind of were “removed” to give vehicles a chance to survive.</mark> Weapon despawn time is almost instant due to there being so many powerweapons in use, and there are long range weapons such as the DMR being able to trash vehicles.
>
> Either way, that backfired as vehicles are now forced to move in smaller spaces which makes vehicle combat more tedious as well as having the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenade as loadout stuff, totally destroys any vehicle role as it’s easier to take down a vehicle in CQC than long range, with weapons not designed to do so.
>
> Valhalla was fun to use the Wraith in due to the mortar arc, got many kills simply unloading plasma strike after plasma strike to the other side. Even betrayed a friend twice in the same match, while he was in a banshee, both times.
>
> Either way, the more open maps are better at vehicle combat but the whole positive thing is instantly pulled back as when players hear an engine roar on the other side of the hill, they whip out their green flashlights and blue snowballs. If I manage to survive one EMP, I’m bound to run into another player who’s allready charged his PP.
>
> To be able to have vehicle combat, maps need more open spaces, but the power weapon economy needs to be brought back down to a proper value. Plasma Pistols and grenades wouldn’t be so dangerous if there were more open spaces to run around int with vehicles.

What?

> I won’t say that they are too detailed, but I will say that Certain Affinity spends just a little(read: a lot) bit too much time focusing on aesthetics over how the game would actually play.

Agreed. However, I still feel like the game lags so much because the maps are over detailed.

Too detailed? Really!? I have officially now seen it all. The more detailed the better!

> Too detailed? Really!? I have officially now seen it all. The more detailed the better!

For 7-year-old hardware, the level of aesthetic detail in Halo 4 causes the game to drop in performance and framerate. The 360 simply can’t handle it.

> > Too detailed? Really!? I have officially now seen it all. The more detailed the better!
>
> For 7-year-old hardware, the level of aesthetic detail in Halo 4 causes the game to drop in performance and framerate. The 360 simply can’t handle it.

Never thought about that…

>

I am sure some one else will find somethin else :slight_smile:

> >
>
> I am sure some one else will find somethin else :slight_smile:

Next aspect is the bullets and guns have the serial numbers individually stamped on them. :wink:
I don’t think the maps are too detailed. They are a little over the top(The pelican still slightly smoking in ragnarok), but it is fine overall.

They’re not too detailed. They’re too convoluted. Trust me, I’m a designer.

> They’re not too detailed. They’re too convoluted. Trust me, I’m a designer.

This would be my complaint. Add in all the visual details you want (so long as my Xbox doesn’t crash) and make them as pretty as you want . . . but some of them are (in my opinion) nonsensical. They remind me of Doom maps, where the only purpose of the layout was to provide spots for the AI characters to be. The new Forge 4v4 maps (especially Black Site) have a strong Doom-ish feel.