Halo 4, making casuals and pros happy

What about a ranking system from 1 to 50 as in H2 or H3, regardless of what version of trueskill is used.
If you climbed to 50 you gain access to the Arena, receiving an entry batch that is shown next to your gamertag IN ANY playlist. The Arena is monthly reset and has the regular percental devisions with the best players of the best being Onyx. So, even Iron means something and you see now what 50 you are and pros always have their competition, fake 50’s get owned, and remember that The Arena is population dependent! The prior ranking system is not. The only flaw is, that when 50’s advance to arena they would still be needed to keep the ranking population down, if they leave the ranked playlist the system fails because everyone will rank up then sooner or later.

For the playlists (social and ranked, arena) give out EXP, 1 per victory, AND credits. EXP gaining prevents people from quitting due to the better stats on their service record which will be accessed ingame as it was in Halo 3 (instead of challenges and armory completion you see the highest skill, the current arena division, played games in ranked, arena, social playlists and the global exp amount together with the credits rank). Credits still unlock armory permutation options and stack up to different ranks as in Reach.

So, pros match in arena only with appropriate people, everyone has a rank referring to their true skill and regardless of winning you still get credits, so a loss is not that painful … but still, additional EXP polish your stats!

Scrap 1-50 as a whole, boosting in Halo 3 was a joke, all Team Doubles is now is boosting for 50’s to sell to those who want to buy one and send it down to a 45 because they can’t get a 50 themselves.

I read the whole thing and I have to say, this won’t make ‘casuals & pro’s happy’, it will make YOU happy.

Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players, if they want to play social, play everything but Arena, if they want ranked, play nothing but Arena.

> Scrap 1-50 as a whole, boosting in Halo 3 was a joke, all Team Doubles is now is boosting for 50’s to sell to those who want to buy one and send it down to a 45 because they can’t get a 50 themselves.
>
> I read the whole thing and I have to say, this won’t make ‘casuals & pro’s happy’, it will make YOU happy.
>
> Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players, if they want to play social, play everything but Arena, if they want ranked, play nothing but Arena.

The only problem with Arena is, that you don’t just find people of your division but even as Onyx you get people from the bronze division.

Second thing is the resets, so that players don’t get placed in a devision regularly or don’t bother to complete their daily sets of four games. But in ranked games everyone could play once in a while and the skill is set up to that placement, no resets, no certain amount of games played necessary.

All in all it would not matter, but I have played gold players who make huge mistakes and don’t deserve this placement and I just assume that a ranked ‘qualification’ would go into the direction of better skill quality in arena.

Of course it is subjective, but I believe I can determine who has skill and who doesn’t just by seeing people play, and by skill I mean the more efficient placement within 1 to 50. The measurement is by far better. Also, nowadays in Arena are 2000 people while in H3 Team Slayer 10000 have been online regularly while I was online.

But let’s wait what Halo 4 really gets. I guess a combination of two games wouldn’t be the answer in order to sell the game.

And by the way, play NOTHING but arena with just one playlist is a great answer. And nowadays Reach’s skill search is questionable, the highest skill in Halo 3 provided most of the time fair distribution.

> Scrap 1-50 as a whole, boosting in Halo 3 was a joke, all Team Doubles is now is boosting for 50’s to sell to those who want to buy one and send it down to a 45 because they can’t get a 50 themselves.
>
> I read the whole thing and I have to say, this won’t make ‘casuals & pro’s happy’, it will make YOU happy.
>
> Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players, if they want to play social, play everything but Arena, if they want ranked, play nothing but Arena.

It worked way better then what we have now…I go into the MLG playlist because I would prefer not to play JUST slayer in arena…and what do I get matched up with?? a bunch of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off frustrated they cant find an assault rifle…this is not fun…there are rotten eggs regardless of a feature in the game and on the whole I got matched up against people in my skill range farrr more often in H2 and H3 then Reach.

And please dont speak for the entire player base because obviously you haven’t done much looking to see that it is really the minority that actually like Reach’s ranking system.

OT Your idea seems like its on the right track but i dont know as to say the answer is making arena locked until 50…I mean lets be honest, Halo will most likely never have the following it used to and the numbers of people at that level would be a small playlist.

> Scrap 1-50 as a whole, boosting in Halo 3 was a joke, all Team Doubles is now is boosting for 50’s to sell to those who want to buy one and send it down to a 45 because they can’t get a 50 themselves.
>
> I read the whole thing and I have to say, this won’t make ‘casuals & pro’s happy’, it will make YOU happy.
>
> Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players, if they want to play social, play everything but Arena, if they want ranked, play nothing but Arena.

Reach’s ranking system right now works? I played 5 games in a row last night that ended in steaks.

> Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players.

LOL

To the OP: What if players get a 50 and just don’t like Arena and decide not to play it? You can’t force a player to play something they don’t enjoy.

Just do what they did with Halo 3.

There was a Social Playlist and a Ranked Playlist.

It should have stayed that way and had something like the Halo 3 ranking system or a hybrid of the Halo 2 and 3 ranking system. Credits can be kept, but they should only go to the purchase of armor and not rank. And some armor pieces should have to require a certain rank to obtain like Major is where you get a final piece of un-lockable rank armor (which shouldn’t be too hard).

And before you say anything about boosters: the ban-hammer has gotten a lot stronger and you’re seeing more and more people getting banned for offenses they’ve committed.

> What if players get a 50 and just don’t like Arena and decide not to play it? You can’t force a player to play something they don’t enjoy.

It was just an idea. It would be a way to determine, what 50 one has, how good one as a 50 really is, compared to other 50’s. One could combine the entry to all ranked playlists into one Arena, put snipers, swat, grifball, mlg, and what not together (combined in the arena, each ranked playlist stands for its own). Since it would be population based a hundred players would be enough. In Reach six players could play in the arena and it would still give out one onyx player.

As far as I see it, one needs a system that everyone can enjoy because of the skill measurement. That must be fair and intuitive, as the arena may be. It needs to prevent from deranking, boosting and the creation of new accounts, as the arena may provide. But it also should be instantly showing your progress, which would attract more people, I guess. Reachs Arena makes you wait one day and also needs a certain amount of games played.

This system has a flaw though. 50’s could get several accounts and cheat the placement in arena.

> Reach’s Ranking System right now, works great for casuals & competitive players

ORBITAL DROP FACENUKETACULAR

OT: I think to satisfy everyone they should make the core gameplay competitive. Why? Because you can make a competitive game casual, but you can’t make a casual game competitive. Look at H3. It was competitive at its core but had a ton of casual custom gametypes and social games that could keep you entertained for hours. Reach on the other hand was a huge flop for competitive fans.

The difference between Reach’s play-lists and Halo3’s in regards to how TS works is skewed in perception with ranked Halo3 not allowing guests at all. In Reach, almost every play-list allows for at least 1 guest. For Snipers, SWAT and TS, this would never happen, and so there would always be a team to fight against that had a bit of player TS values, rather than guest TS values.
Because there is no number beside a name to show that 1 player is a x-# who has a guest, it’s almost automatically assumed that those players are causal. Because really now, who plays Halo online split-screen and isn’t a casual?

This has led to this whole, we’ll say fiasco. Illusion makes people happy, not truth/reality.

> The difference between Reach’s play-lists and Halo3’s in regards to how TS works is skewed in perception with ranked Halo3 not allowing guests at all. In Reach, almost every play-list allows for at least 1 guest. For Snipers, SWAT and TS, this would never happen, and so there would always be a team to fight against that had a bit of player TS values, rather than guest TS values.
> Because there is no number beside a name to show that 1 player is a x-# who has a guest, it’s almost automatically assumed that those players are causal. Because really now, who plays Halo online split-screen and isn’t a casual?
>
> This has led to this whole, we’ll say fiasco. Illusion makes people happy, not truth/reality.

It’s not just the guest thing. Full parties match a team of randoms, the trueskill is basically nonexistant and teams can hear each other. Plus there’s no incentive to win.

Reach + Competitive = Bad joke

> or play against people of similar skill level? i dont know if you have noticed or not but Reach does a very poor job of this.

That is Reaches fault - not the lack of a ‘trueskill’ system. It’s there, it’s just broken. I know, it’s nice to be matched up against and with players of similar skills. You don’t have to tell me!
But a 1-50 that you can see isn’t going to change that, even if it were added in today, it would just tell people to quit out :wink:

No there is NO good thing about 1-50 except ego stroking.
If you want to see your true skill go here: http://halocharts.com/reach.php
All the info you could want - except you don’t get to SHOW OFF

> > or play against people of similar skill level? i dont know if you have noticed or not but Reach does a very poor job of this.
>
> That is Reaches fault - not the lack of a ‘trueskill’ system. It’s there, it’s just broken. I know, it’s nice to be matched up against and with players of similar skills. You don’t have to tell me!
> But a 1-50 that you can see isn’t going to change that, even if it were added in today, it would just tell people to quit out :wink:
>
> No there is NO good thing about 1-50 except ego stroking.
> If you want to see your true skill go here: http://halocharts.com/reach.php
> All the info you could want - except you don’t get to SHOW OFF

And while we’re at it let’s make all our spartans look the same and have no xp system! Oh and achievments are out and service records are gone. YAY!!!1 :smiley:

Seriously though 1-50 contributed to you leveling up. So it actually does serve a purpose. And stats are just a cool feature for some people to look at, 1-50 included. Yes it’s showing off but at the end of the day so are file shares and all the stuff I just listed. It’s not something I’m going to brag about but it just adds a new level of gameplay.

How about re implement the 1-50 system but make it actually difficult to get to 50. The reason everyone boosted/2nd accounts in halo 3 was because of how a complete fool could get a 50 in the game. I should have never been a 50 in halo 3 but I got it by December the year the game came out despite only being mediocre.

> is it so wrong to want to win and do what is needed to make that happen? i think not.

Just as long as you don’t turn around and claim there is no incentive to win, then of course not.
Anyone else put their mic on “team only?”

How would this make casuals happy? This seems to be only for the competitive.

To make casuals happy all you need to do is slap Halo on the box and they won’t care what is in the game.

> How would this make casuals happy? This seems to be only for the competitive.
>
> To make casuals happy all you need to do is slap Halo on the box and they won’t care what is in the game.

Do you think it’s fun for casual “Level 1s” to be spawn killed by “50s” all game, all day, everyday? No.

Do you think its fun for “50s” to mow through “1s” all day? No.

Your last line is funny and true.

Make a game competitive and casuals will, have and do enjoy it too. They honestly won’t know the difference.

Make a game casual and competitive players can not, and do not enjoy it at all.

Reach’s “ranking” system or “trueskill” system (outside of Arena) is NOT fine the way it is now.

> Make a game competitive and casuals will, have and do enjoy it too. They honestly won’t know the difference.
>
> Make a game casual and competitive players can not, and do not enjoy it at all.

Ok, so how did Shadow Run fail in MLG and both MW2 and BO gain very strong MLG followings then?

Shadow Run didn’t sell well at all while MLG couldn’t help to sell it as the “pure,” campaign-less competitive FPS it was suppose to be.

MW2 and BO are by no means “team-based competitive” shooters by design, yet somehow, both were/are in MLG.
MW2 was dropped because of coding issues, but because both MW2 and BO are popular, not skillful, they are/were featured in MLG using MLG’s rule-set while Activision is bugging MLG to loosen its rules to become more approachable in the competitive scene… breaths

My incentive to win is because i like winning lol. Honestly i dont care if the 1-50 is shown or not i just want to be matched against people of my skill level…i would prefer it was shown since then you cant get a judge of what you’re going up against but its not a huge deal. I just despise how it works right now

Rather than unlocking a new Arena playlist, they should just make it that once you get to 50, you receive a % ranking telling you how you stand against all other 50’s. That way you still play the same playlist.

People should also lose rank over time…but only if you are above 40. So if you buy a 50 you’ll lose it if you don’t play and if you are a 30 you don’t need to worry about needing to play to keep your rank.