Halo 4 like Shadowrun? please!!!!

Watching that video podcast on Social Skirmish when the one dude was comparing the abilites to have counters like in Shadowrun … when I heard that, and there is a chance that may happen in Halo 4. Something special happened in my pants.

Shadowrun for me was and still is one of the greatest FPS on Xbox Live. It was a game, within a game. Skill did get you somewhere, BUT the smart player won out most of the time. There was nothing, and when I say nothing, I do mean NOTHING that gave me such satisfaction as beating out a skilled player just by out thinking them.

Plus it made each game different. There was ALWAYS that X Factor, that element you could NOT predict, you HAD to adapt on the fly. Games were never boring in Shadowrun. It lead to exciting games on every map. Each game was differnt, never ever boring.

Halo as it is now (any of them), it is like ok, go here and do this, oh ok that happened so this will happen next, blah, blah. After about an hour or two, I’m done, bored. With Shadowrun nothing felt scripted. The organic flow of the game was 2nd to none.

If Halo 4 is a spiritual successor to Shadowrun, I will explode from happiness, or maybe fail my program in college next year. I will be playing Halo 4 24/7.

Anyone elses thoughts? This should be a great discussion I feel.

Please thank this post right here to show how much you disagree with the OP.

Reach + bloom + AA’s was already your spiritual successor to Shadowrun.

:]

Go play Shadowrun. I’m tired of people trying to warp Halo into some other game -_-

Did you play Shadowrun?

Shadowrun was a great game, and Reach was very similar. I will admit, Halo 4 is actually sounding a lot more like Shadowrun that Reach was. Especially with buying abilities and weapons. That’s straight how Shadowrun works.

Now, Halo has always been about equality and a competition of skill and predictability, not so much about REALLY thinking on your feet like Shadowrun. You’ve gotta be smart to master that game, not just skilled with reflexes.

This actually hurts more than saying that make Halo 4 like CoD…

You know why?

It has already happened.

Sage Merill worked with Shadowrun and he was given full desicion freedom with Reach and look how of a horrible game he made.

Shadowrun is an example of abilities done right. However, I don’t know if it can be added to Halo without furthering the damage done by AAs. They are different games, and it will be tough to release a competitively balanced system as described in the OP.

Wow. Such an insightful and mature response. “Go play Shadowrun”

Really?

This is supposed to be a discussion here. Talk of this being a possible direction Halo may be leaning toward now. Least provide something of value to the discussion.

Example:

I do see how you are tired of people trying to warp Halo into something else. Ok. I understand that. But lets look at some evidence of what I am seeing with Halo right now. People complained about Reach. This is true. Lot of people. Bloom was crap and this needs changed and that needs changed.

So 343i responds with a Title Update.

Title Update a success? Anytime I look at the population in regular Reach and Title Update Reach, I see the TU Reach population very very very low. The regular Reach population is larger by 3x or 4x at minimum. Money and sales follows where the people are. More people = more copies sold.

Lets all be honest, gaming has changed. Online has changed. Halo will need to change and evolve too or be dead. If Halo 4 will be going the Shadowrun route, the game will be at least fun and never boring if everything is balanced out. Shadowrun was and still is the most fun AND balanced FPS on Live that I know of. Game nothing short of amazing.

People here responding with negative, I dare say did not play Shadowrun.

If AA are to be a factor in Halo 4, then look at a game that did it right. Follow that lead.

Shadowrun still holds up today when I play it. What is wrong with playing a game that is dynamic and changes each game. You never get bored, it is always fresh and exciting.

If Halo 4 keeps AA (which it is) then I’m perfectly fine with the style and mindset of Shadowrun. Pure win in my book.

> Please thank this post right here to show how much you disagree with the OP.
>
> Reach + bloom + AA’s was already your spiritual successor to Shadowrun.
>
>
> :]

i dont agree with thank-fishing…but in this case, i think you caught a marlin. that deserves thanks.

> Now, Halo has always been about equality and a competition of skill and predictability, not so much about REALLY thinking on your feet like Shadowrun. You’ve gotta be smart to master that game, not just skilled with reflexes.

And for me – once again, this is me – predictability makes a game dull and quite boring after playing it by 2nd month. Its like a daily routine, wake up, get out of bed, brush teeth, get dressed, etc.

Routine. Dull. Boring.

Variety. I would buy DLC for Shadowrun if they released DLC today. Bet the farm I am not only one that would buy the DLC either.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

LINK REMOVED

I think that “old” forum posts shows people complaing and unhappy, yet Halo 3 has a lot of variety and people still play that game religiously and still have loads of fun.

Once again I will stress the point of people that are bashing the post here did not play Shadowrun.

I’m sorry folks. But if Halo came out today, meaning Halo and Halo 2, I truly believe with all my heart people would be like meh, and majority pass on it. COD as much as I truly detest that game online, it changed gaming much as the “Halo” games changed gaming back then. Key note: back then

Time to evolve or Halo will only be a single player game.

> I think that “old” forum posts shows people complaing and unhappy, yet Halo 3 has a lot of variety and people still play that game religiously and still have loads of fun.
>
> Once again I will stress the point of people that are bashing the post here did not play Shadowrun.
>
> I’m sorry folks. But if Halo came out today, meaning Halo and Halo 2, I truly believe with all my heart people would be like meh, and majority pass on it. COD as much as I truly detest that game online, it changed gaming much as the “Halo” games changed gaming back then. Key note: back then
>
> Time to evolve or Halo will only be a single player game.

actually i played shadowrun…competitively.

it was fun for a while, and a great game…but it isnt halo. it is a completely different kind of game. do you want tanks running around halo? we already had the equivalent of the regen tree in halo 3 and reach and it sucked/was annoying…

there are many games that halo could take some cues from to enhance the competitiveness and replayability, but shadowrun is not one of them.

Do I want tanks running around in Halo?

Ummmm.

Yes. Why yes, I do. I enjoy Big Team Battle. And that has tanks.

Not sure I’m following what you are trying to say here? Or did I miss what you are say all together.

> Do I want tanks running around in Halo?
>
> Ummmm.
>
> Yes. Why yes, I do. I enjoy Big Team Battle. And that has tanks.
>
> Not sure I’m following what you are trying to say here? Or did I miss what you are say all together.

i meant human tanks. not the actual vehicles.

there were if i remember 4 different classes of player in shadowrun…elves could regen health. tanks had massive health. orcs…idr what they did and i cant remember the other one.

i have no problem with vehicles.

this is where halo differentiates though…in halo, everyone is the same. has equal footing/stats. in shadowrun, it is both a battle of statistical advantage for a team along with the first person shooter elements.

it was a great game, but there were glaring issues with it from a competitive side. i would like to not see halo go in that direction, as it detracts from not only what made all the previous titles (minus reach) so great, but it will alienate entire communities of gamers.

Ok, I can see what you are saying there. But all the Halo games, and I mean all of them, just did not feel as balanced as Shadowrun did. And if going with AA then I think you have to be balanced. If not, then its going to feel sooooo cheap.

People want Halo to be competitive. I get that. Balanced = fun. Power weapons and AA without the proper counters is just an overpowered game that is a mess.

Thats like people that call deer hunting a sport. Ummm, no. You are hunting. Sport is equal sides with equal stuff. The deer do not have guns. Or in Texas where they passed a law that it’s ok to hunt with a silencer. Really? What more of an edge do you need.

I just want a balanced game that is fun and can play for hours on end.

> Ok, I can see what you are saying there. But all the Halo games, and I mean all of them, just did not feel as balanced as Shadowrun did. And if going with AA then I think you have to be balanced. If not, then its going to feel sooooo cheap.
>
> People want Halo to be competitive. I get that. Balanced = fun. Power weapons and AA without the proper counters is just an overpowered game that is a mess.
>
> Thats like people that call deer hunting a sport. Ummm, no. You are hunting. Sport is equal sides with equal stuff. The deer do not have guns. Or in Texas where they passed a law that it’s ok to hunt with a silencer. Really? What more of an edge do you need.
>
> I just want a balanced game that is fun and can play for hours on end.

oh, you didnt know that deer carry around uzies now to balance out the gameplay? =P

but yeah i agree with most of what you are saying, except that shadowrun was balanced. it thrived on inherent imbalance, and in doing so created a different kind of strategy.

how does an elf that has lower health take out a tank? pure tactics…lol

Elf taking out a tank? Come on that was weak. lol Have to do better then that. Booooo on you. lol

But what did you not think was balanced in Shadowrun?

Everything had a counter, I thought. My fav was the sniping. No quick scope there for most part, being shot pulled you out of scope and have to be scoped to shoot. Smoke was ok unless hit with gust. Smoke counter Enhanced Vision. Gliding when hit with gust caused the glider to retract. Character class/roles countered each other. There is more I can share here but you played you know what I mean. What bothered you about Shadowrun. Lay it on me brother. lol

> Please thank this post right here to show how much you disagree with the OP.
>
> Reach + bloom + AA’s was already your spiritual successor to Shadowrun.
>
>
> :]

Yeah, a horrible successor that did literally everything wrong.

Reach had the potential to be good. It just failed because the designers at Bungie suddenly lost all of that industry experience and know-how…Seemingly by magic.