Halo 4 isn't a sandbox game anymore...

It honestly isn’t when you look at the weapons it will contain.

Sandbox weapons is when you have one single weapon that preforms it’s duty and you have no other option that is better or worse. Well It looks like Halo 4 has multiple rifles that each are unique in their own way, better and worse.

BR
DMR
Carbine
Assault Carbine
Needle Rifle(Speculated)
(Unknown number of more weapons from Covenant, Forerunner, and unknown enemy)

The battle sandbox has changed. I mean Halo: Reach did have a number of assault weapons such as the AR, Plasma Repeater, Rifle, Needler, and Spiker, but this just supports the fact that Halo is drifting away from being a sandbox game, right? Why is that? Don’t get me wrong, i’m glad they are adding variety and this is probably due to give variety now that we have custom loadouts but was it necessary?

Edited by Moderator - Please refrain from making nonconstructive posts.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

no

You forgot the AR.

I predict this will get full support from the Halo Fan Boyz

What? This whole thread keeps contradicting itself.

> You forgot the AR.

An AR does not fall under the ranged rifle category.

> It honestly isn’t when you look at the weapons it will contain.
>
> Sandbox weapons is when you have one single weapon that preforms it’s duty and you have no other option that is better or worse. Well It looks like Halo 4 has multiple rifles that each are unique in their own way, better and worse.
>
> BR
> DMR
> Carbine
> Assault Carbine
> Needle Rifle(Speculated)
> (Unknown number of more weapons from Covenant, Forerunner, and unknown enemy)
>
> The battle sandbox has changed. I mean Halo: Reach did have a number of assault weapons such as the AR, Plasma Repeater, Rifle, Needler, and Spiker, but this just supports the fact that Halo is drifting away from being a sandbox game, right? Why is that? Don’t get me wrong, i’m glad they are adding variety and this is probably due to give variety now that we have custom loadouts but was it necessary?

So when we had 2 skill weapons and 40 identical useless assault rifles, that was fine. But suddenly we get multiple options for skill weapons and you guys begin to rage?

Join session in-progress is a great change but more weapons isn’t?

Halo 3
magnum, smg, spiker, plasma rifle

^ all useless dual weapons that should never be picked up

(important to note that the magnum and smg are very different and the rest are unique race weapons)

> > It honestly isn’t when you look at the weapons it will contain.
> >
> > Sandbox weapons is when you have one single weapon that preforms it’s duty and you have no other option that is better or worse. Well It looks like Halo 4 has multiple rifles that each are unique in their own way, better and worse.
> >
> > BR
> > DMR
> > Carbine
> > Assault Carbine
> > Needle Rifle(Speculated)
> > (Unknown number of more weapons from Covenant, Forerunner, and unknown enemy)
> >
> > The battle sandbox has changed. I mean Halo: Reach did have a number of assault weapons such as the AR, Plasma Repeater, Rifle, Needler, and Spiker, but this just supports the fact that Halo is drifting away from being a sandbox game, right? Why is that? Don’t get me wrong, i’m glad they are adding variety and this is probably due to give variety now that we have custom loadouts but was it necessary?
>
> So when we had 2 skill weapons and 40 identical useless assault rifles, that was fine. But suddenly we get multiple options for skill weapons and you guys begin to rage?
>
> Join session in-progress is a great change but more weapons isn’t?
>
> Halo 3
> magnum, smg, spiker, plasma rifle
>
> ^ all useless dual weapons that should never be picked up
>
> (important to note that the magnum and smg are very different and the rest are unique race weapons)

Join session in progress is a terrible addition. I want to start the games I join, not simply finish em.

I don’t care how many weapons there are, as long as their all fairly different.

Well the BR , dmr, carbine, assault carbine are all in one category of starting primary weapons. All these weapons are more of less going to be the same in effectiveness, unless something goes wrong and one of them is clearly the better choice then the others (COD).

The Assault Carbine will likely play a similar role to the SMG. The DMR is a cross between a BR and Sniper Rifle. The BR is… Well, the BR. I don’t see weapons doing the exact same thing, aside from the Covenant counterparts that we’ve always had.

I really don’t think you understand what sandbox gameplay is. The point is to have many different guns that provide many different functions, and the only three weapons that we know enough about to judge are the DMR, the BR, and the AR. I would say that all of those provide pretty different functions.

there are more weapons than these in the Halo universe. Are you saying they shouldn’t include them because some of them have the same function??
I don’t understand.
We can place the weapons we want on maps, and we can turn off custom loadouts and force weapons.

Its still a sandbox game. This is why I love 343. Everything they are doing is like optional stuff. We can turn it on or off because they respect Halo and where it all started.

Since when was a Sniper equal to a BR? Or a Shotgun to a Mauler?

…lolwut?

Do you even know what “SANDBOX” even means?

> Sandbox weapons is when you have one single weapon that preforms it’s duty and you have no other option that is better or worse.

In videogames, a sandbox is a collection of viable options for the user.
The Mario/Utility weapon doesn’t make a sandbox game, the Mario/Utility weapon is part of any sandbox.

> Well It looks like Halo 4 has multiple rifles that each are unique in their own way, better and worse.

And 1 of those will be the Mario/Utility amongst a class that itself is already a Mario/Utility/Jack of all Trades option.
One of those weapons will be a Luigi. Pretty darn close to the Mario but something sets it apart just enough to make it “unique.”
I surely believe one of those will be a Yoshi. Quick to shoot but not as powerful as the Bros.
I doubt a Princess will be there with the Yoshi but there could be. It’d be better of to have a Toad or Donkey Kong to compliment the spectrum. That would be a slow and slightly weaker/less ranged weapon with great precision and another that is heavier hitting per hit and has range, but at the same time is slower in RoF than the other rifles.

And that’s just the centre of the sandbox!

> …lolwut?
>
> Do you even know what “SANDBOX” even means?

They will now say, not that sandbox, this sandbox.

But when I google it, the definition says a environment that is open so the player can do whatever they want to do. Not what “you” want me to do.

Halo is changing and right now I can’t tell if it’s for better or worse.

> It honestly isn’t when you look at the weapons it will contain.
>
> Sandbox weapons is when you have one single weapon that preforms it’s duty and you have no other option that is better or worse. Well It looks like Halo 4 has multiple rifles that each are unique in their own way, better and worse.
>
> BR
> DMR
> Carbine
> Assault Carbine
> Needle Rifle(Speculated)
> (Unknown number of more weapons from Covenant, Forerunner, and unknown enemy)
>
> The battle sandbox has changed. I mean Halo: Reach did have a number of assault weapons such as the AR, Plasma Repeater, Rifle, Needler, and Spiker, but this just supports the fact that Halo is drifting away from being a sandbox game, right? Why is that? Don’t get me wrong, i’m glad they are adding variety and this is probably due to give variety now that we have custom loadouts but was it necessary?

I can understand the dread, but if you look at it calmly you will see its really not a big deal, and in actuality adds alot of diversity to the halo formula without changing any fundamentals.

Each weapon will have different ranges it excels at just like H3 BRvCarbine and Reach Magnum v DMR v NR

Magnum atleast at 85% bloom was wayyyyy better than the dmr, especially with bleed and also at 85% bloomthe NR is much better than the DMR at extreme ranges 1v1.

They all are range scoped weapons but they are stratified in their areas of optimal effectiveness. They are all utility but their area of dominance shifts weapon to weapon. Essentially its just giing you the option of what degree of midrange do you want to accelerate at. So really the weapon choice in loadout really isnt bad from the classical halo perspective. There is no mystery since if you see someone (useing reach examples) has an NR you know if you have a DMR that closiing the range will give you an edge and that you shouldnt engage at extreme range unless you get the jump on them.

Really the only fear about loadouts I can see are the dumb AAs which fundamentally change how the game plays on EVERY SINGLE LEVEL all without any need to fight for said abilities

So hate AAs, having diff options of precision weapons is like being upset about someone getting a carbine in guardian in H3 off spawn and your side getting a BR. The wepaons we are getting even if they were on the map wouldnt be rare at all either way since they are not power weapons.

> Halo is changing and right now I can’t tell if it’s for better or worse.

Thus far from a halo trilogy gameplay fans perspective, the only thing to fear are AAs and sprint. Since they touch every aspect of the game.

I mean no one cared or said anything in reach when NR magnum + 2 sticky nades and DMR, magnum + 2 frags were an option.

I personally think they should have taken it one step further and made the Autos secondary optional as well and use it as a means to bring back alot of clone weapons so we could choose between

H3 spiker
smg
brute PR
ODST SMG
plasma repeater
AR

and make a CE PR a map pickup, but none of the above ever show up on maps, but rather only have useful more powerful weapons be on map like how it was in CE (minus the needler in ce)