Halo 4 is to Halo as Mario Kart is to Racers.

I gotta say it. Halo 4 is the Halo franchise’s Mario Kart.

Mario Kart is a Racing game like many others before it. What separates it from racing games such as Forza, PGR, Need for Speed, or even classics like Cruisn’ USA/The World, Excite Bike, or Super Hang On, is one word:

RANDOM

Mario Kart was the popularizing game in a sub-genre of racing games where you could ‘attack’ other players with powerups you gained from boxes. This span-off into games like Diddy Kong Racing, and Crash Team Racing. The major reason it is hard to take it seriously as a copetitive racing game is - RANDOM.

When you are playing Mario Kart, the boxes that contain weapons give you RANDOMLY one of 10-20 (depending on sequel) items. Some were insanely powerful, others not so much. But you had no way of predicting what powerup you would get. Heck you had no way of ensuring yours would be better than everyone else’s until they introduced ‘place-based selection’ in 64 (where being in “last place” got you amazing items, and being in “first” got you bananas and single green shells (sigh)).

As well as introducing the Blue Shell… An abomination that actually punished the players doing well.

(I can also make comparisons of character/kart selection helping boost the unfairness of the game, but I’ll just make note of it now).

Then we have Halo 4. This game is now following a sub-genre of shooters popularized by Call of Duty, where you have crazy customization leading to extremely unpredictable situations. But let’s get to the part where it’s as bad as Mario Kart:

It is RANDOM.

Ordinance Drops are in every way the exact same thing as those stupid random boxes in Mario Kart. They give you a completely random selection of weapons or powerups to use against the enemy. Some players will get amazing things like Rocket Launchers, Snipers or Halo 4’s Blue Shell, the Incineration Cannon, while other players will get crap choices like Needlers, Pulse Grenades, and Speed Boosts.

On top of that, though, we also have the Random Map Ordinance, which drops a SINGLE weapon on to a random location of the map every 2-3 minutes. And depending on that location it could be a random one of a selection of possible weapons (such as the Needler/Sticky Detonator/Scattershot spawns all over Haven).

This randomly rewards one team with a limited but random weapon. FOR FREE.

(And now I will make note of how Custom Loadouts are an exact equivalent of driver/kart selection in Mario Kart)

It’s just like Mario Kart. One of the most casually played video games of all time (64 being up there with Minecraft). How can this be considered a good idea for what was once considered the most competitive console shooter of the decade?

The crowd attracted to Halo want to play intense skill based games, not random casual fun. And once more casual players WONT CARE if the game actually is designed competitively! They won’t have noticed the difference AT ALL.

If you just made personal ordinance static instead of random, if you just made the map weapon spawns set in waves of certain weapons at certain times throughout the match, if you just limited the selection of weapons more strictly in Custom Loadouts, and didn’t bother with this silly Armour Ability/Perks system. This game would please BOTH CROWDS instead of completely alienating the group that wants a great competitive experience.

Seriously, think about this 343i. Think about the state of the game. Think about the people you let down. You can’t let down casual players because they will play pretty much anything.

I enjoy Mario Kart and Halo 4. Is that a problem?

Mario Kart is amazing, does that make Halo 4 amazing as well?

Mario Kart was a fun game to play when I was a little kid (much younger than the M-17 rating of Halo 4).

But it was NEVER a good competitive game, or anything you could take remotely seriously. As an adult you only play it when you’re playing with your girlfriend, or drunk at a party.

> Mario Kart was a fun game to play when I was a little kid (much younger than the M-17 rating of Halo 4).
>
> But it was NEVER a good competitive game, or anything you could take remotely seriously. As an adult you only play it when you’re playing with your girlfriend, or drunk at a party.

I’m an adult and I still enjoy playing Mario Kart all the time with my family, friends or alone. I fail to see how saying that you enjoyed it as a kid proves your point any more. So your tastes changed as you grew up, but many older people still love the game. Just as we love Halo 4.

And so what if it isn’t a competitive game? Is not being competitive something bad now? Does everything need to be a huge competition so people can show off that they are amazing at something that doesn’t matter and is designed for enjoyment? Is everything nowadays supposed to be about being the best, or can we just care about having fun?

> I gotta say it. Halo 4 is the Halo franchise’s Mario Kart.

The irony of this statement is firmly rooted in the fact that Halo 4 has since removed the “Race” gametype.

> Mario Kart was a fun game to play when I was a little kid (much younger than the M-17 rating of Halo 4).
>
> But it was NEVER a good competitive game, or anything you could take remotely seriously. <mark>As an adult you only play it when you’re playing with your girlfriend, or drunk at a party.</mark>

I beg to differ, I’m 26 and still play Mario Kart. It never gets old and is so fun. I play Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS at least 3 times a week.

I love playing both games… They’re both great games… I loved playing them when i was younger and i still love playing them.

On-topic- Halo 4 can survive as a casual game, but it has to offer something to both sides. While I have no problem with Ordinance (if it was fixed), it doesn’t exactly promote anything other then- “HErp derp, you guys go ahead, I’m waiting. Hey! you guys are gonna wait too? Lets all wait for what we want while or team is ripped apart.”

Ya know, some of us LIKE random.

I have Mario Kart 64 remakes on my file share… Along with a Mario Kart style game type… It was meant to be.

Mario Kart is actually fun though.

So you’re saying that Halo 4 is a timeless classic, a fantastic multiplayer game that you want to enjoy with all of your friends, a game that proudly represents Microsoft as a company and does a -Yoink!- good job of it and on top of that is fun as hell?

Your words, not mine.

Mario Kart may be a bit random from the random item boxes, but it doesn’t have loadouts. Loadouts are just a mess in Halo 4.

I enjoy both Mario Kart and Halo 4, Mario Kart is now the only game I actually come back to play on my Nintendo Wii - now that I have lost my Metroid and Super Smash Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy :frowning:

> Ya know, some of us LIKE random.

Why not have both?

But random cannot be the foundation of core game mechanics

> Ya know, some of us LIKE random.

Random has no place in a Halo game.

>
> But it was NEVER a good competitive game, or anything you could take remotely seriously. As an adult you only play it when you’re playing with your girlfriend, or drunk at a party.

I don’t think Mario Kart was ever meant to be taken seriously. Especially since it was a kid friendly casual game. Mario Kart is awesome. The mystery of not knowing what you would get was exciting. You just got to hope for the best.

So I hope you weren’t playing Mario Kart seriously back then. The difference between halo 4 and mk, is that halo 4 wad stressed to be played for competitive play. That’s all the lead multiplayer designer would talk about and Ellis in their videos following to launch. Halo 4 isn’t for competitive play though. So one game was meant to be played casually and was; the other for competitive and isn’t a competitive game.

Have to say man if you were trying to say Halo 4 is bad,probably picked the wrong game.I know of no one who actually dislikes Mario Kart.

Urm Mario Kart was a quite comptetive actually, even with all the random stuff, on the DS people developed techniques such as dodging blue/ red shells, snaking etc.

WRONG EXAMPLE BRO!!!

> > Mario Kart was a fun game to play when I was a little kid (much younger than the M-17 rating of Halo 4).
> >
> > But it was NEVER a good competitive game, or anything you could take remotely seriously. <mark>As an adult you only play it when you’re playing with your girlfriend, or drunk at a party.</mark>
>
> I beg to differ, I’m 26 and still play Mario Kart. It never gets old and is so fun. I play Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS at least 3 times a week.

Agreed. I’m still picking up all the classic Nintendo games on my 3ds and I’m 21. Just finished Paper Mario. And I love Mario Kart 7.