Halo 4 is great! (From a long time fan)

So I am a long time halo player, I have all the halo achievements, have been playing since halo 2, though halo 3 was the one I played most. I thought Reach had a lot of problems, armour lock etc. It just didn’t feel like the next step for halo. Halo 4 does. A lot of people say this game has become too casual, this game isn’t for the fans. Now while I may not be the greatest halo player, I may even sometimes suck but I am a long time fan AND THIS GAME APPEALS TO ME!..

…And I have to say halo 4 is great fun. I think the people who complain have forgotten how to have fun. The game as it stands at the minute is extremely fun, particularly Big Team Skirmish, and the addition of this playlist was one of 343’s best decisions. Why?

Because this game excels at objective. Maybe some of you who complain play a lot of slayer, and so find with all of the abilities, ordinance etcetera the game has become too crazy. But in objective, in big team, all of these features really come into their own.

I know a lot of you complain about loadouts but really the gameplay difference is practically nothing in a straight fight and its hardly CoD levels of stat and weapon customization, its just a little touch of personalisation.

Jip hardly makes any difference. Now when the idea was told to us before the game was released, I was sceptical, it just didn’t feel like halo. I was wrong. It removes that horrible experience where you are stuck in a game being killed repeatedly as your team has quit. Most times you join in the first minute or so. This has streamlined matchmaking, sure maybe one in 100 times you join a game and immediately lose. But who cares, chill out, you can try and win the next one.

Ordinance is also often complained about. Well, I don’t see the problem. If anything it offers the scope to add unlimited power weapons to new halo games as there isn’t the issue of how many there can be on the map. More cool weapons in the game is always a good thing.

Now I know some people are going to complain about what I’ve said, but here is a summary:

SUMMARY: Halo 4 is the next step for the franchise, unlike the misstep that was Reach. And above all it is fun. Kick back, get a buddy on the couch playing splitscreen and just how much fun you are having may surprise you. Because that is what I’ll be doing. And above all I’ll be having fun. Why? Because it just feels like halo to this long time fan.

I agree with you I think halo 4 is great too. There is something for everyone in halo 4. Be you a casual or a competitive player, an infinity lover or a traditionalist, halo 4 suits your needs. All the new features you mention are great too. Makes the game more fun

> I agree with you I think halo 4 is great too. There is something for everyone in halo 4. Be you a casual or a competitive player, an infinity lover or a traditionalist, halo 4 suits your needs. All the new features you mention are great too. Makes the game more fun

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Halo has always offered loads of choice. With the brilliant customization options of the series, there is a game type for everyone, Swat, griffball, action sack, zombies, pro, and crazy big team carnage!

I see that you enjoy Halo 4 and I respect that, but I prefer a not so random game. I love AA’s not all of them mind you especially camo and jetpack. The problem I have with what you are saying is that the more power weapons the better? Thats a BIG NO. Halo was fun to me and a many other players because of the skill gap. It let you know that you were good or bad depending on how you play. Halo 4 has not closed the skill gap but it just made it a WHOLE lot smaller than it once was. Now everyone and their grandmas are runnig around with power weapons and it eventually turns into a Fiesta Variant. As for objective the only problem there are the AA’s I mentioned before CAMO and JETPACK these tow are to OP in my opinion and dont even get me started with the camo glitch lol.

I AM GLAD you are enjoying the game but me and many more players dont enjoy it as much. Its a fun game but the frustration consumes the fun sometimes for me :confused:

I see it as Reach was a turn in the wrong direction. H4 just kept on walking.

While I am glad that you enjoy Halo 4 and love it for what it is, I, as a long-time Halo fan who has played since the release of Halo 1, cannot find myself agreeing with you. While the game is fun, it’s far from being as good as past Halo games, and there are many many problems with it. I don’t find myself yearning to play Halo 4 like I did with the original trilogy and Reach. I’ve spent whole days playing Halo 3 and Reach online, but I can’t even stand to play an hour of Halo 4 before needing to do something else. It’s not as captivating, as exciting as Bungie’s games. Just the other day, I went back and played some Reach and found myself having a blast, so it’s not as though I have franchise fatigue.

The game just isn’t the Halo I know and love. It changed too much from past games, adding in features that took away from what made Halo special to me. The slower pace that requires the player to outsmart and outmaneuver their enemy, the need to know the maps and weapon spawns to get the upper hand over your enemy, the strong vehicles that required teamwork to use and take out… These are but small examples of things that Halo 4 got rid of that made Halo such a memorable franchise. Nowadays, it’s taking features from other games that just don’t work in an arena game.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like some additions to the game. Being able to choose which primary weapon to start with is a lot of fun, and I love having my Carbine and Storm Rifle loadout. However, they went way too far with this idea by letting us pick which grenade type to start with, and allowing the player to have a Plasma Pistol or Boltshot when they respawn. And what about armour abilities and armour mods? After all, Halo has always been a game about equality, and while giving players this customization is a good idea in theory, it detracts from what makes Halo, well, Halo. In future Halo games, I’d be simply happy to be able to pick from one precision weapon and one automatic weapon to start out with. That way, players still get some choice, but they’re all relatively equal.

As for personal ordnance, it removes the idea of controlling the map’s weapons to gain the advantage, which has always been a big part of Halo. In the past, you knew which weapons were on the map, and knowing who had what impacted your decision making. Your team has the Spartan Laser on Valhalla? Good, you can be a bit more aggressive. The enemies have the Sword on Midship? Be a bit more defensive. Now, in Halo 4, anybody can get any weapon after getting a few assists. This creates chaos, all while throwing out the idea of control that many players loved about Halo. You never know if the guy around the corner is going to have his trusty AR or an Incineration Cannon. There’s no way to plan around the weapons anymore.

I could keep going on about what I dislike with Halo 4, but I think you get the idea. In short, I’m glad to see that you love Halo 4, and while I do enjoy it to an extent as well, it’s nowhere near as great as past Halo games to myself and many other players. 343i made the mistake of throwing aside the original fanbase in order to cater to new players, which ended up creating a game that caters to almost nobody. Here’s to hoping that they learned from their mistakes and will make Halo 5 a game to remember!

Its not as bad as what BUNGIE probably woulda done, But it wasn’t anything to remember either, multiplayer wise…

I thought the campaign for the game was Great, Arguably halos best with CE and ODST…

It was a nice break from the traditional linear story and gameplay halo 2-reach had… Though the story coulda been better…

Multiplayer on the other hand, Tried to hard to appeal to the casual audience… giving us loadouts, Personal ordinance, and A lack in weapon balance…

Changing the ENIRE GENRE (Arena based to classed Based) of a game doesn’t really help it…

Its like making Team Fortress 2 just like battlefield (which they were actually going to do in the original version)…

Would it sell more and attract casual players? yes

But is that really worth pushing away the fans who have stayed with you since the beginning?

As a player since 2, Halo 4 and CE PC are the only multiplayers which I enjoy, it had a great Campaign and SpOps was fun

I agree, in my opinion Halo 3 and Reach were a bust but Halo 4 gets back to the game being fun again.

> So I am a long time halo player, I have all the halo achievements, have been playing since halo 2, though halo 3 was the one I played most. I thought Reach had a lot of problems, armour lock etc. It just didn’t feel like the next step for halo. Halo 4 does. A lot of people say this game has become too casual, this game isn’t for the fans. Now while I may not be the greatest halo player, I may even sometimes suck but I am a long time fan AND THIS GAME APPEALS TO ME!..
>
> …And I have to say halo 4 is great fun. I think the people who complain have forgotten how to have fun. The game as it stands at the minute is extremely fun, particularly Big Team Skirmish, and the addition of this playlist was one of 343’s best decisions. Why?
>
> Because this game excels at objective. Maybe some of you who complain play a lot of slayer, and so find with all of the abilities, ordinance etcetera the game has become too crazy. But in objective, in big team, all of these features really come into their own.
>
> I know a lot of you complain about loadouts but really the gameplay difference is practically nothing in a straight fight and its hardly CoD levels of stat and weapon customization, its just a little touch of personalisation.
>
> Jip hardly makes any difference. Now when the idea was told to us before the game was released, I was sceptical, it just didn’t feel like halo. I was wrong. It removes that horrible experience where you are stuck in a game being killed repeatedly as your team has quit. Most times you join in the first minute or so. This has streamlined matchmaking, sure maybe one in 100 times you join a game and immediately lose. But who cares, chill out, you can try and win the next one.
>
> Ordinance is also often complained about. Well, I don’t see the problem. If anything it offers the scope to add unlimited power weapons to new halo games as there isn’t the issue of how many there can be on the map. More cool weapons in the game is always a good thing.
>
> Now I know some people are going to complain about what I’ve said, but here is a summary:
>
> SUMMARY: Halo 4 is the next step for the franchise, unlike the misstep that was Reach. And above all it is fun. Kick back, get a buddy on the couch playing splitscreen and just how much fun you are having may surprise you. Because that is what I’ll be doing. And above all I’ll be having fun. Why? Because it just feels like halo to this long time fan.

Finally, someone who agrees with me!! :smiley: You’re right, I used to hate jip, but now it seems most games I join are only one or two minutes in. And besides if you join one game and stay, then the next one wont be join in progress cause you’ll stay with the players from the last game. As for ordinance, I either play legendary slayer (which will be getting a brs variant soon) or wait until I get slayer pro in btis (which comes up often). Or easier yet I just play halo 3, or the reach anniversary playlist. As for competitive play, they should just play throwdown, it has a good mix of slayer and objective. BT skirmish is fun too I just wish it gets more maps and gametypes like extraction soon, which it might after the championship. :slight_smile:

Oh I know how to have fun, I just don’t think Halo 4 is that fun.

I think you would have a better response from a different site, but I agree other than campaigns story mishaps

> Oh I know how to have fun, I just don’t think Halo 4 is that fun.

Exactly this.

Just because some of us don’t completely enjoy Halo 4 (or don’t enjoy it at all, whatever the case may be), it doesn’t mean that we don’t know how to have fun. It simply means that we have a different opinion of what’s considered to be fun or not.

> SUMMARY: Halo 4 is the next step for the franchise, unlike the misstep that was Reach. And above all it is fun. Kick back, get a buddy on the couch playing splitscreen and just how much fun you are having may surprise you. Because that is what I’ll be doing. And above all I’ll be having fun. Why? Because it just feels like halo to this long time fan.

I’m also a long time fan and I disagree with everything you said. No disrespect.

I’m glad you like H4. I’m glad you can ignore blatant rip offs of another franchise. I’m glad you dont feel robbed by the exclusion of numerous custom options. I’m glad it still feels like Halo to you with the butchering of long time Halo features and replaced with popular gaming trends.

But understand why it doesnt feel like Halo to other long time fans. You see 343 didnt improve ranks, customs, co op, forge. The best Halo had to offer was reduced in favor of trends like Custom loadouts, streaks, perks, progressive unlocks etc.

About 50% of Halo 4 is based on Reach. The other 50% is based on what every other shooter is doing. Sad thing is neither was done right.

For example, H4’s custom options pale in comparison to Reach and in some cases H3. The market trends I mentioned are also poorly done in H4. I hate to bring up COD but every feature 343 “borrowed” was done better in every COD. I’m interested to know why you think Reach is a misstep and not H4.

I dont have fun with H4 but it says Halo on the box(testament of a die hard fan lol). It seems to be built around helping the player too much. Getting shot? Sprint away. Couldnt get a power weapon in other Halos? We’ll drop dat at your feet. You dont feel special? We’ll make sure points pop up for every thing you do.
Once again no disrespect, but dont act like people arent trying to have fun just to hate on 343. I still play H4 and tried to give feedback but it seems to get more backlash than counter suggestions.

Another example is RE games. Once actual survival horror, now a zombie punching, shoot fest. Did RE5(never played 6)improve on the horror aspect of previous RE games? 343 should learn one thing from H4: stick to the roots, you’ll grow stronger.

> Oh I know how to have fun, I just don’t think Halo 4 is that fun.

Your kidding right? I mean come on. Your a lvl 130 you’ve got lvl 50s… Your a spartan onyx on the forums… Yet you don’t think halo 4 is fun? That like Mike Tyson not finding boxing fun.

> > Oh I know how to have fun, I just don’t think Halo 4 is that fun.
>
> Your kidding right? I mean come on. Your a lvl 130 you’ve got lvl 50s… Your a spartan onyx on the forums… Yet you don’t think halo 4 is fun? That like Mike Tyson not finding boxing fun.

You act as if all of those take any effort. I hit SR-130 months back and with all of the challenges and Dew XP, it took no time at all. The 50 wasn’t even that hard either, the occasional BTB game with some friends bumped it up in no time. And yet, I’ve barely played Halo 4 all that much recently.

And just so you know, you can get to a Spartan-Onyx rank without liking Halo 4, it’s just post count and I manage to post a lot.

Oh, I should clarify when I said ordinance allows us to have lots of power weapons, I meant variety of power weapons, I didn’t mean that I wanted everyone to have a rocket launcher most of the time!

> While I am glad that you enjoy Halo 4 and love it for what it is, I, as a long-time Halo fan who has played since the release of Halo 1, cannot find myself agreeing with you. While the game is fun, it’s far from being as good as past Halo games, and there are many many problems with it. I don’t find myself yearning to play Halo 4 like I did with the original trilogy and Reach. I’ve spent whole days playing Halo 3 and Reach online, but I can’t even stand to play an hour of Halo 4 before needing to do something else. It’s not as captivating, as exciting as Bungie’s games. Just the other day, I went back and played some Reach and found myself having a blast, so it’s not as though I have franchise fatigue.
>
> The game just isn’t the Halo I know and love. It changed too much from past games, adding in features that took away from what made Halo special to me. The slower pace that requires the player to outsmart and outmaneuver their enemy, the need to know the maps and weapon spawns to get the upper hand over your enemy, the strong vehicles that required teamwork to use and take out… These are but small examples of things that Halo 4 got rid of that made Halo such a memorable franchise. Nowadays, it’s taking features from other games that just don’t work in an arena game.
>
> Don’t get me wrong, I do like some additions to the game. Being able to choose which primary weapon to start with is a lot of fun, and I love having my Carbine and Storm Rifle loadout. However, they went way too far with this idea by letting us pick which grenade type to start with, and allowing the player to have a Plasma Pistol or Boltshot when they respawn. And what about armour abilities and armour mods? After all, Halo has always been a game about equality, and while giving players this customization is a good idea in theory, it detracts from what makes Halo, well, Halo. In future Halo games, I’d be simply happy to be able to pick from one precision weapon and one automatic weapon to start out with. That way, players still get some choice, but they’re all relatively equal.
>
> As for personal ordnance, it removes the idea of controlling the map’s weapons to gain the advantage, which has always been a big part of Halo. In the past, you knew which weapons were on the map, and knowing who had what impacted your decision making. Your team has the Spartan Laser on Valhalla? Good, you can be a bit more aggressive. The enemies have the Sword on Midship? Be a bit more defensive. Now, in Halo 4, anybody can get any weapon after getting a few assists. This creates chaos, all while throwing out the idea of control that many players loved about Halo. You never know if the guy around the corner is going to have his trusty AR or an Incineration Cannon. There’s no way to plan around the weapons anymore.
>
> I could keep going on about what I dislike with Halo 4, but I think you get the idea. In short, I’m glad to see that you love Halo 4, and while I do enjoy it to an extent as well, it’s nowhere near as great as past Halo games to myself and many other players. 343i made the mistake of throwing aside the original fanbase in order to cater to new players, which ended up creating a game that caters to almost nobody. Here’s to hoping that they learned from their mistakes and will make Halo 5 a game to remember!

Hmm, yeah I see your point about ordinance reducing map control. I remember this really annoyed me first playing halo 4. I suppose playing objective mostly had made me forget about this. I think halo 4 really excels in certain gametypes with its changes, but there are the tradeoffs that some really suffer.

> > SUMMARY: Halo 4 is the next step for the franchise, unlike the misstep that was Reach. And above all it is fun. Kick back, get a buddy on the couch playing splitscreen and just how much fun you are having may surprise you. Because that is what I’ll be doing. And above all I’ll be having fun. Why? Because it just feels like halo to this long time fan.
>
> I’m also a long time fan and I disagree with everything you said. No disrespect.
>
> I’m glad you like H4. I’m glad you can ignore blatant rip offs of another franchise. I’m glad you dont feel robbed by the exclusion of numerous custom options. I’m glad it still feels like Halo to you with the butchering of long time Halo features and replaced with popular gaming trends.
>
> But understand why it doesnt feel like Halo to other long time fans. You see 343 didnt improve ranks, customs, co op, forge. The best Halo had to offer was reduced in favor of trends like Custom loadouts, streaks, perks, progressive unlocks etc.
>
> About 50% of Halo 4 is based on Reach. The other 50% is based on what every other shooter is doing. Sad thing is neither was done right.
>
> For example, H4’s custom options pale in comparison to Reach and in some cases H3. The market trends I mentioned are also poorly done in H4. I hate to bring up COD but every feature 343 “borrowed” was done better in every COD. I’m interested to know why you think Reach is a misstep and not H4.
>
> I dont have fun with H4 but it says Halo on the box(testament of a die hard fan lol). It seems to be built around helping the player too much. Getting shot? Sprint away. Couldnt get a power weapon in other Halos? We’ll drop dat at your feet. You dont feel special? We’ll make sure points pop up for every thing you do.
> Once again no disrespect, but dont act like people arent trying to have fun just to hate on 343. I still play H4 and tried to give feedback but it seems to get more backlash than counter suggestions.
>
>
> Another example is RE games. Once actual survival horror, now a zombie punching, shoot fest. Did RE5(never played 6)improve on the horror aspect of previous RE games? 343 should learn one thing from H4: stick to the roots, you’ll grow stronger.

I agree with you on custom game options. But I think this was more a time thing than overall game direction. There are areas where the game needs more polish, more custom game options, lack of an armour tracker, etc. But I put these down to this being 343’s first outing at a main halo title. I think and hope that this complaint will be addressed in future halo titles.

> Oh, I should clarify when I said ordinance allows us to have lots of power weapons, I meant variety of power weapons, <mark>I didn’t mean that I wanted everyone to have a rocket launcher most of the time!</mark>

And yet they do…