Halo 4 Idea- Edge Hanging and Unique Weapon Abilities

So 343i has possibly one of the hardest jobs on the planet right now, they need to progress the Halo series foward without upsetting the unique formula that it has. Bungie just went to far with their adjustments in Reach, removing bleed-through melees, adding sword block, adding armor abilities, and adding bloom. All these additions almost completely ruined the game, decreasing the population immensley. Three years after Halo 3’s release, 300k people still played daily, while Reach, struggles to maintain 100k on a good day only one year after release.

The lesson learned here, is don’t over-do it! I have taken it upon myself to construct a few ideas that could progress the game foward, without -Yoink!- off the majority of the community. So let’s get it started.

Edge Hanging/Vaulting

Edge hanging is basically when a character jumps to a ledge but can’t quite jump enough to land feet first, so instead they grab onto the ledge with their hands to lift themselves up.

PROS: -Speeds up gameplay
-Reduces camping
-Interesting for Forge maps
-Good for Machinima

CONS: -Could result in some AFC spots or out of maps

SOLUTION TO CONS: -343i could make certain ledges that might lead to unsuggested playing areas “unhangable”.

Unique Weapon Abilities

Unique weapon abilities, is not exaclty customizable weapon traits (although I think that that’s a good idea too!), but more the action said gun can perform. For example, the Shotgun can use its iron sights if the Unique Weapon Ability (UWA) is activated, making it more accurate at close range. Or the Sniper Rifle could have a sort of night vision that highlights enemies with a dull green haze. These examples are of course completely fan-created and probably not the best in “balance” terms. A better example would probably be… the pistol can change from being fast shooting, accurate, and weak, to slow shooting, less accurate, but powerful (or perhaps have a grenade that blows open doors? eh?). I think this would be a good replacement to AA’s, and less unbalanced as well. UWA’s could be activated at the press of the LB.

PROS: -Further evolve Halo in a positive way
-Provide more insane and fun gameplay
-Satisfy the needs of veteran Halo players and CoD players alike

CONS: -Could be a bit unbalanced

SOLUTIONS TO CONS: With the new voting system introduced by Reach, only certain gametypes could feature UWA’s. So if they became disliked, you can always just vote not to play them.

Discuss, and please give feedback.

reserved for future ideas

That is a stupid idea. Maybe we should have three slots where you get special abilities like double damage or more shields

you jump over 3000 feet in the air. Why would you need to add stuff like vaulting into the mix? 343 Taking advice from their fans will bite them in the -Yoink- eventually. They will the realize that they should come up with the ideas not the fans.

Sounds like Crysis.

Halo 4 doesn’t need to appease CoD fans by being more CoD.

What it needs to be is more Halo. It’s lost it’s way after CE and H2 and hopefully it can reclaim that by keeping the gameplay fast-paced and simple.

No equipment, no AA’s, no “special abilities”

I’d like some more movement options to make me feel like a Spartan. We at least need vaulting, because it worked pretty well in the Battlefield 3 beta.

Your additions are almost as game changing as Bungie’s. For that reason I don’t agree with your ideas as I like Halo the way it is. I don’t count reach.

I agree with xReece. Halo has jumped into the bandwagon in that it NEEDS to have more “Dept” by adding random junk that doesn’t really make the game anymore fun. What happened to simple gameplay that actually had a huge skillgap?

I really don’t see why we need “vaulting” in Halo. If you want battlefield/cod mechanics go play CoD/BF. We play Halo because we to play Halo. We JUMP so damn high compared to those games that we don’t even need it.

> Your additions are almost as game changing as Bungie’s. For that reason I don’t agree with your ideas as I like Halo the way it is. I don’t count reach.
>
> I agree with xReece. Halo has jumped into the bandwagon in that it NEEDS to have more “Dept” by adding random junk that doesn’t really make the game anymore fun. What happened to simple gameplay that actually had a huge skillgap?
>
> I really don’t see why we need “vaulting” in Halo. If you want battlefield/cod mechanics go play CoD/BF. We play Halo because we to play Halo. We JUMP so damn high compared to those games that we don’t even need it.

oh, i see, the whole “it’s different, it sucks now” come back, thats cool.

I think ledge hanging and vaulting is WINNING! I totally agree with the pro’s you mentioned, and that alone makes it good enough for a game design addition. It wouldn’t change any core gameplay mechanics, and it wouldn’t complicate anything, it’d just expand your mobility through maps verticly. no harm in that.

anyone who disagrees needs to consider the pro’s of this again, cause it’s got a lot of pro’s and hardly valid cons.

as for the other ideas, equipment should be in between power ups and abilities, like a active camo you use up, a power shield that acts like body armor, jet pack to increase vertical mobility, thrusters to increase ground mobility, etc.

halo 3-type equipment should function as a special type of grenade. a type of “power weapon grenade”, it’d be about as common as equipment in halo 3, you’d find some on a map, they’d help you out tactically for a limited time, badda bing badda boom.

Cons:

It’s not Halo.

since the chief is getting a suit upgrade, I’d like the suit to play a bigger role than just having shields, like active abilities or passive trait enhancers that could be customized.

I still don’t even really see the point of why that would be necessary…