Halo 4 Hype & Advertising

343i really needs to advertise Halo 4 out the -Yoink-. That means every major event. I saw maybe one Reach trailer before it’s release on TV. I couldn’t change the channel without seeing a Black Ops advertisement. Black Ops sold twice as many copies as Reach on opening day, that’s 6 million copies. Microsoft really needs to back this if they want it to overtake Call of Duty again.

Halo 3 was about those most hyped up game I’ve ever seen. It was the best selling and most played on Xbox Live until MW2 hit stores and only outsold it by 200,000 copies.

Just trying to stress the importance of getting this game out there.

For me it’s not really the AMOUNT of advertising that has set Halo apart, it’s been the QUALITY. The BELIEVE campaign is still talked about. And not just in gaming circles, but in general entertainment as well. “We Are ODST” and “Deliver Hope” are also outstanding. What I wouldn’t mind seeing though, is a return to the Halo 2/3-style ARGs leading up to the release. With the story going in a new direction, it might be a perfect fit as well.

Grim

> For me it’s not really the AMOUNT of advertising that has set Halo apart, it’s been the QUALITY. The BELIEVE campaign is still talked about. And not just in gaming circles, but in general entertainment as well. “We Are ODST” and “Deliver Hope” are also outstanding. What I wouldn’t mind seeing though, is a return to the Halo 2/3-style ARGs leading up to the release. With the story going in a new direction, it might be a perfect fit as well.
>
> Grim

That sounds perfect. I never participated in them, as I bought Halo 3 with little knowledge besides “this game is everywhere right now”. ARGs seem great because it’s a way for fans to really get hyped for the game by interacting. Plus I’d imagine it’s nowhere near as expensive as a marketing campaign, but still gets part of the job done.