Halo 4 Has a Different Vibe

Maybe it’s because Bungie didnt make it I dont know, this is in no way made to slag of Halo 4 but it just feels so different when I play it . Past Halo’s always had this feeling I got when playing them that always came back whenever I re-played or played the latest Halo the first time . Switching between Halo’s before felt the same but with Halo 4 its like playing a totally different game from another series. . I went back and played Halo 2 and Odsts campaign and they felt very familiar when playing . I was accustomed to the feeling of it . Does anyone else get a different vibe when they play Halo 4 , something they didnt get compared to the others. I am beginning to think it was 343i’s touch on Halo with things like art style , I dont know.

I’m with you man. I enjoy halo 4 but the feel you describe is different for me too.

@emma d311

I agree, it feels different. I remember discussing this shortly after the release. I am not criticizing it, I like many of the changes, but you are correct that the feel has altered.

To me, it is almost aquatic, much like Avatar was (the movie). The Elites and Jackals look a bit more short and squat, less lean. The colors are deeper, and the environments a little more vibrant. I can imagine in many of the landscapes that the leaves are dewy and moist, more like a rain forest than the sandy beaches I associate with Halo CE. It definitely has an oceanic feel to it.

The assassinations look just amazing comparatively, and I am a fan of the removal of English speaking covenant. The guns have a more real feel too.

I think it fits, since 343 was looking for a new start, rather than a 4th iteration.

What if Bungie made Halo 4 the EXACT same way 343i made it?

Nothing different, just the same way it was done by 343i (Which was good btw).

I felt exactly the same way as you did OP. Right when I started playing campaign I immediately noticed how different Halo 4 felt compared to Halo: CE - Reach. It definitely gave me a different vibe. It’s probably because a lot of things have changed, such as the artwork, soundtrack, gameplay (slightly), character/weapon designs, and different sound effects.

I think these changes are for the better though. As much as I FREAKING LOVED the original Halo trilogy, it really was time to change.

It has that vibe akin to another well-known shooter on the market…

Feels like Halo to me. I still remember playing the first single player campaign and the first multiplayer game. Felt like I was back in the saddle.

> It has that vibe akin to another well-known shooter on the market…

What battlefield because it has player altering things on a minor scale and using your logic that makes it like COD

Reach had a different vibe.
Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST had the same vibe, but they had a different vibe when compared to CE.
At least for me. :slight_smile:

I think the campaign felt different because it was much more cinematic and serious compared to the old, fun, upbeat vibe past Halos used to have. Also I think it’s the soundtrack, too. There aren’t many monk vocals, no tribal sounding percussion, or really anything unique for that matter. It kind of felt like the soundtrack to a generic action movie. (Neil, in Halo 5, keep your style of music, but take notes on the Halo music of old, like covenant dance. I believe that would create a VERY unique soundtrack.)

although this does have some what of a different vibe than the bungie halos, I personally love the game… I wonder what’s in store for the future for halo on the new “Xbox One”.

Halo 4 has a unique feel to it, one that is different from past halos for many reasons and oh so similar in others. The campaign was so breath taking and at time jaw dropping. It brought back some great feelings about the universe of this game, and how beautiful and deep it is.

I also really like the blend of diversity that Halo 4 has that 343i created. To me, this game FEELS ALIVE and HOPEFUL. So much more promise for the future,and opportunity to succeed. For a first game, 343i did a pretty good job!

Of course it has a different vibe.

The developer(s), art style, music, staff, plotline and gameplay is totally different. 343 TRIED to make Halo 4 different, too. As they wanted it to be the start of the Reclaimer Trilogy and try something new.

You’re not playing on a Halo ring, you’re playing on Forerunner shield world Requiem.

Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST had a fairly different “feel” to it, too.

> Of course it has a different vibe.
>
> The developer(s), art style, music, staff, plotline and gameplay is totally different. 343 TRIED to make Halo 4 different, too. As they wanted it to be the start of the Reclaimer Trilogy and try something new.
>
> You’re not playing on a Halo ring, you’re playing on Forerunner shield world Requiem.
>
> Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST had a fairly different “feel” to it, too.

Ehhh… on ODST I disagree. It still felt fairly Halo, due to it running on the H3 engine.

> > Of course it has a different vibe.
> >
> > The developer(s), art style, music, staff, plotline and gameplay is totally different. 343 TRIED to make Halo 4 different, too. As they wanted it to be the start of the Reclaimer Trilogy and try something new.
> >
> > You’re not playing on a Halo ring, you’re playing on Forerunner shield world Requiem.
> >
> > Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST had a fairly different “feel” to it, too.
>
> Ehhh… on ODST I disagree. It still felt fairly Halo, due to it running on the H3 engine.

Yep! Although developed by the same studio and a score composed by the same people, the atmosphere, gameplay, characters, and story were all totally different.

It was different in a very good way, that I liked. The whole tone of the game was so strong, that’s why I probably liked it so much.

Halo 4 feels like REACH to me.

And in my opinion has not followed the Halo Canon.

Halo 4 multi-player, should had been a re-vamped Halo 3.

I still enjoy Halo REACH and Halo 4, but compared to Halo 2/3 these two games are far behind.

> > It has that vibe akin to another well-known shooter on the market…
>
> What battlefield because it has player altering things on a minor scale and using your logic that makes it like COD

If Halo 4 was like Battlefield and not COD, they game would be even more awesome.

But it is more like COD :(, and nothing like Battlefield.

It does feel different, but I don’t mind. They hit the sweet spot between gritty and neat. Reach was too bland in colours, which often annoyed me. It all just felt so drab. But it was gritty, which I enjoyed. Halo 4 incorporated the colours I missed from the earlier Halo games, and integrated a vibrant, sometimes very dark world. But as someone posted above, if Neil (that was his name, right? Neil Davidge?) takes some aspects of the original soundtracks, I think the soundtrack would be even better. I loved the music for the forerunners, but was sort of confused by the Star Wars-esque soundtrack when you come flying after The Didact’s ship out of slipspace. It just didn’t quite fit the Halo universe to me. But beyond that, it was great. Definitely a different vibe, but it’s good.

> If Halo 4 was like Battlefield and not COD, they game would be even more awesome.
>
> But it is more like COD :(, and nothing like Battlefield.

People referring to Battlefield is really annoying me. You guys do realise how dumbed down Battlefield 3 is in comparison to Bad Company and Battlefield 2?

DICE/EA knew that they would have to make Battlefield easier for more casual players so that they could compete with CoD. That was the whole reason why EA were so aggressive when promoting BF3, they knew they had to get people to change ships, and the only way they could keep people on the ship would be by making the game easier.

> > If Halo 4 was like Battlefield and not COD, they game would be even more awesome.
> >
> > But it is more like COD :(, and nothing like Battlefield.
>
> People referring to Battlefield is really annoying me. You guys do realise how dumbed down Battlefield 3 is in comparison to Bad Company and Battlefield 2?
>
> DICE/EA knew that they would have to make Battlefield easier for more casual players so that they could compete with CoD. That was the whole reason why EA were so aggressive when promoting BF3, they knew they had to get people to change ships, and the only way they could keep people on the ship would be by making the game easier.

And it worked, it seems BF4 will see even larger numbers. However, I did not like the way EA/DICE lied to the BF2 crowd by stating what things would be in the game, which ultimately never showed up. So many articles online where they promised things that were featured in Battlefield 2, in order to get the Battlefield 2 crowd into BF3, which ultimately was a hybrid between COD’s run’n’gun and Battlefield’s large maps. It was fun to begin with, but the dumbing down of classes and poor balancing between them ruined the entire thing. Now it’s Assault to win.