Halo 4 Hardlight Shield/Thruster Pack concern

I want to voice my concerns about TWO ARMOUR ABILITIES

I don’t mind armour abilities. However, the thruster pack and the hardlight shield really concerns me.

Evade and armour lock made it a real pain to kill people in Reach. Thruster pack looks like a buffed version of evade, and the hardlight shield could possibly act like armour lock on half of your Spartan, except the Spartan can move. I don’t know why 343 and and Bungie wanted to put in a armour ability so bad that protects you from damage. Why? It just sucks for people with power weapons. I don’t want to have to deal with some Spartan running around me with a riot shield trolling me while two of his team-mates are shooting at me. I want to ice the fool as fast as I can. I don’t want to have to deal with crap like that honestly. Same with the thruster pack. Oh here let me shoot at you, oh wait you just flew past me/away from me at like 100km/h. What? Oh look there’s your team and there goes my opportunity to dispose of you clean and quickly.

Know what I’m saying? I don’t give two balls about hologram/forerunner vision/active camo. At least they don’t protect the enemy from damage. Once I see the Spartan and he’s in my sites the conflict is 100% the same. Thruster pack and the Future forerunner riot shield (lol) changes that traditional conflict.

Once I see the guy I want it to be a fair fight not chase him like a rocket around the freaking room. I’m seriously worried about those two abilities.

Thoughts about those two abilities?

I think you can melee the person through the shield, and the thrusters we have literally barely even seen a full second of.
Also, you might get banned for dodging the yoink filter.

How in the hell is the shield reminiscent of armor lock?

Armor Lock = kneeling down for five whole seconds with COMPLETE INVINCIBILITY, the ability to EMP blast and knock out shields, deflect grenades, blow up vehicles if they were hit by it, etc.

Shield = ability to move so it doesn’t slow down gameplay, completely vulnerable from the back and STILL has the ability to be naded at the feet.

This is a great replacement for the armor lock, stop -Yoinking!-.

The Hardlight Shield would seem to only protect the front, meaning a well placed grenade can cause damage. It also makes them run slower from what I gathered in the video.

To me it sounds like your too lazy to find a way around simple AA’s. Thruster pack moves you A LITTLE, Just adjust it to where you can move your screen faster. And the riot shield, is called the Hardlight Shield, and that covers only the front. Well placed fist or grenade on a slower opponent can easily take them out. So it is pretty easy, just makes gameplay more interesting.

Since when did the riot shield make a Spartan invulnerable like Armor Lock did in Reach?

From the brief look at it on released video, it only offers limited protection - that is to say after some damage it ceased to function and the person carrying it went down from a melee attack.

As for the Thruster Pack, it appears to be little more than a small boost when you jump.

The shield drains quickly (just look at the Spartan Ops gameplay! it drains in about 2 or 3 seconds) and the person using it can’t shoot, and is vulnerable to flanking (which is extremely easy now that strafe speed has been sped up). It seems pretty useless against anything besides long-range small-arms fire.

Am I the only one that remembers H3’s invincibility? sure the hardlight shield protects you… but only your front, and you cant carry a weapon (spartan ops trailer). Sure the armor lock as annoying as it is guards you for 5 seconds from EVERYTHING then EMP’s anyone stupid enough to stand next to you, but you cant move. But think about it, H3’s invincibility gave you like 15 second to run around taking damage from EVERYTHING while having the ability to shoot back! I personally have no problem with a hardlight shield, its basically a giant jackal shield.

> <mark>Am I the only one that remembers H3’s invincibility?</mark> sure the hardlight shield protects you… but only your front, and you cant carry a weapon (spartan ops trailer). Sure the armor lock as annoying as it is guards you for 5 seconds from EVERYTHING then EMP’s anyone stupid enough to stand next to you, but you cant move. But think about it, H3’s invincibility gave you like 15 second to run around taking damage from EVERYTHING while having the ability to shoot back! I personally have no problem with a hardlight shield, its basically a giant jackal shield.

Just to clarify, the invincibility was only present in campaign. Just trying to preempt people that will try to discount your argument because you brought up invincibility.
I agree with you.

> > <mark>Am I the only one that remembers H3’s invincibility?</mark> sure the hardlight shield protects you… but only your front, and you cant carry a weapon (spartan ops trailer). Sure the armor lock as annoying as it is guards you for 5 seconds from EVERYTHING then EMP’s anyone stupid enough to stand next to you, but you cant move. But think about it, H3’s invincibility gave you like 15 second to run around taking damage from EVERYTHING while having the ability to shoot back! I personally have no problem with a hardlight shield, its basically a giant jackal shield.
>
> Just to clarify, the invincibility was only present in campaign. Just trying to preempt people that will try to discount your argument because you brought up invincibility.
> I agree with you.

Thank you for agreeing with me, but i do distinctly remember using invincibility in multiplayer/custom games and seeing it be used, it was annoying as hell too. [dont remember the exact map so sorry that i cant reference you to it :(]

I don’t think there’s much to worry about cause I noticed that the armor abilities don’t recharge like in reach, instead they seem to recharge as you kill people. I saw this in the multiplayer gameplay video.

From what I’ve gathered, the Thruster Packs and Jet packs are separate abilities.

Anyway, the TP only seems to go a few feet before it runs out of fuel, and unlike Evade, the user is flipping around like crazy, so you can still shoot 'em.

> I don’t think there’s much to worry about cause I noticed that the armor abilities don’t recharge like in reach, instead they seem to recharge as you kill people. I saw this in the multiplayer gameplay video.

I’m pretty sure that’s the ordnance icon that fills up when you kill people. Looks like Halo 4 has kill streaks.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Universe/detail/halo-4-war-games-gameplay/3ffc2863-0ca0-4dfe-a11a-9e94d1eb4b15

See? Once the Spartan gets enough kills, they “request” an ordnance drop at a specified location. Looks like they can also call in a new armor ability or perk.

Well evade was the only aa I liked so i’m kinda happy to see the thruster pack sharing similarities to it and also the light shield seems to be pretty balanced from what we’ve seen since you can’t do any offensive attacks with it and it’s relatively easy to take out.

> > > <mark>Am I the only one that remembers H3’s invincibility?</mark> sure the hardlight shield protects you… but only your front, and you cant carry a weapon (spartan ops trailer). Sure the armor lock as annoying as it is guards you for 5 seconds from EVERYTHING then EMP’s anyone stupid enough to stand next to you, but you cant move. But think about it, H3’s invincibility gave you like 15 second to run around taking damage from EVERYTHING while having the ability to shoot back! I personally have no problem with a hardlight shield, its basically a giant jackal shield.
> >
> > Just to clarify, the invincibility was only present in campaign. Just trying to preempt people that will try to discount your argument because you brought up invincibility.
> > I agree with you.
>
> Thank you for agreeing with me, but i do distinctly remember using invincibility in multiplayer/custom games and seeing it be used, it was annoying as hell too. [dont remember the exact map so sorry that i cant reference you to it :(]

You’re thinking of the overshield, which doesn’t make a player invincible. Either that, or you’re thinking of a custom powerup that made players invincible, which can be done in custom games, but was never done in matchmaking.

This ability is a better version of armor lock in my opinion, but since this isn’t all the details of it, I’m going to remain openly skeptical at how this ability will truly function.

What if it is deploy-able like any of the Halo 3 equipment?
What if it is a damage modifier to shields? I.E. grenades may go around it, but it acts as an absorption weapon similar to Armor Lock absorbing all forms of damage?
Whats going to to stop people from forming a shield wall?

I firmly stand it looks balanced, but that’s just it, we don’t know its full capabilities yet.

> This ability is a better version of armor lock in my opinion, but since this isn’t all the details of it, I’m going to remain openly skeptical at how this ability will truly function.
>
> <mark>What if it is deploy-able like any of the Halo 3 equipment?</mark>
> <mark>What if it is a damage modifier to shields? I.E. grenades may go around it, but it acts as an absorption weapon similar to Armor Lock absorbing all forms of damage?</mark>
> <mark>Whats going to to stop people from forming a shield wall?</mark>
>
> I firmly stand it looks balanced, but that’s just it, we don’t know its full capabilities yet.

  1. Probably not, as it doesn’t last long, and can be walked with.

  2. I think the shield might be indestructible, but easily flanked

  3. The shield only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds, so I wouldn’t worry about this. Watch the Spartan Ops video, it shows the shield at work.

It is a fair fight: you can use it too.

> > > > <mark>Am I the only one that remembers H3’s invincibility?</mark> sure the hardlight shield protects you… but only your front, and you cant carry a weapon (spartan ops trailer). Sure the armor lock as annoying as it is guards you for 5 seconds from EVERYTHING then EMP’s anyone stupid enough to stand next to you, but you cant move. But think about it, H3’s invincibility gave you like 15 second to run around taking damage from EVERYTHING while having the ability to shoot back! I personally have no problem with a hardlight shield, its basically a giant jackal shield.
> > >
> > > Just to clarify, the invincibility was only present in campaign. Just trying to preempt people that will try to discount your argument because you brought up invincibility.
> > > I agree with you.
> >
> > Thank you for agreeing with me, but i do distinctly remember using invincibility in multiplayer/custom games and seeing it be used, it was annoying as hell too. [dont remember the exact map so sorry that i cant reference you to it :(]
>
> <mark>You’re thinking of the overshield</mark>, which doesn’t make a player invincible. Either that, or you’re thinking of a custom powerup that made players invincible, which can be done in custom games, but was never done in matchmaking.

you are correct, my bad. they look similar cosmetically in my defense!

Where is footage of the thruster pack?