Halo 4 giving me headaches (physically)

Ever since I’ve been playing Halo 4 since yesterday, I’ve been getting terrible headaches. And while playing a game too long will do that to you, It’s terribly worse with Halo. I’m popping Ibuprophen like M&Ms.

While I can’t be precisely sure, I believe it’s because all these bright lights and glare (especially in campaign). Can 343i release a patch or something so that all these bright lights and glares aren’t so bright?

I feel like I need sunglasses playing this game.

anyone?

Seemed fine to me, have you tried turning the brightness down?

It’s at factory settings (50/100 on both brightness and contrast), but I’ll try messing with it.

well if you have been continuously playing since yesterday, then I suggest you take a break from it

Perhaps you should read the ‘photosensitive’ warnings on the game box :slight_smile:

I haven’t had any issues myself. I have enjoyed the visuals so far. Try turning your brightness down if it’s bothering you. I’ve also noticed that if your eyes are sensitive to the brightness, try not playing in a completely dark room - turn on a dim lamp somewhere in the room. This reduces the bright effect from the screen.

Getting a couple of hours sleep won’t hurt, either!

Blame the art style it went kid style like Halo 3 instead of Halo Reach -Halo 1-like more gritty colors.

:frowning:

I’ve been getting headaches from Halo 4’s teeeeeeerible field of view. Seriously, it’s ridiculously tiny to the point where I’m getting physical pain. That should not be happening.

Also, why does the BR take up more than a fourth if my screen? It’s not even a power weapon and the weapon model is HUGE! It’s pretty disorientating, and I embarrassingly lost track of someone in a firefight yesterday because my enemy was behind the BR’s giant model.

As for the brightness, I noticed that Ravine’s stark white and really bright areas were giving me head aches as well when I made a map to test out the new weapons. Maybe I should make one of those maps on Impact instead since an asteroid and space aren’t so bright.

I have a problem with the lighting in this game too. I had the same issue with Halo CEA. The lighting and colors that 343 uses is drastically different than what bungie used and is WAY brighter. Also being someone who is somewhat red-green color blind this makes it even more noticeable for me since brightness of colors really effects the way I see them.

I cant say I’m getting headaches, but I do find myself squinting a lot more than I have with any Bungie Halo.

I would MUCH rather the colors be darker, the plants in a forest shouldn’t look like they are glowing.

If it’s not the Visuals maybe it could be Audio? How loud do you play the game sounds?

I’ve never received a headache from Visuals but from having sensitive hearing. Just throwing out another suggestion.

Your diet could explain the onset of headaches. If you’ve been consuming foods high in sodium or drinking beverages without introducing water throughout the day, dehydration could be causing your headaches. It could also be the product of a poor sleeping pattern or exhaustion.

I would recommend laying off the ibuprofen, drinking water, eating low-sodium foods, and taking a nap for an hour or two.

Seems fine to me.
I’d go see a doctor, you might have epilepsy.

My wife and I had some problems. bring the brightness down ONE notch, that fixed it for our eyes, much easier on our eyes that is.

> Ever since I’ve been playing Halo 4 since yesterday, I’ve been getting terrible headaches. And while playing a game too long will do that to you, It’s terribly worse with Halo. I’m popping Ibuprophen like M&Ms.
>
> While I can’t be precisely sure, I believe it’s because all these bright lights and glare (especially in campaign). Can 343i release a patch or something so that all these bright lights and glares aren’t so bright?
>
> I feel like I need sunglasses playing this game.

i dont get a headache but yea they do need to tone down the lava and bright lights for it

Lower the brightness in settings.

I get a headache when I play a low-graphics game for a long time (like CE or Halo 2), but not with newer games. I played Halo 4 for over 17 hours nonstop and felt fine.

Yep, that’s a significant issue.

> Blame the art style it went kid style like Halo 3 instead of Halo Reach -Halo 1-like more gritty colors.
>
> :frowning:

CE didn’t have gritty pal. It was just awesomely dark.

> I’ve been getting headaches from Halo 4’s teeeeeeerible field of view. Seriously, it’s ridiculously tiny to the point where I’m getting physical pain. That should not be happening.
>
> Also, why does the BR take up more than a fourth if my screen? It’s not even a power weapon and the weapon model is HUGE! It’s pretty disorientating, and I embarrassingly lost track of someone in a firefight yesterday because my enemy was behind the BR’s giant model.

I was under the impression that a big FoV also made the weapon bigger.

Afaik, the FoV is the same as in Reach.

The lighting system in Campaign has way too much glare and bloom. I wish they toned that down just a bit.

I have a hard time seeing things sometimes, only game this has happened on.

> Ever since I’ve been playing Halo 4 since yesterday, I’ve been getting terrible headaches. And while playing a game too long will do that to you, It’s terribly worse with Halo. I’m popping Ibuprophen like M&Ms.
>
> While I can’t be precisely sure, I believe it’s because all these bright lights and glare (especially in campaign). Can 343i release a patch or something so that all these bright lights and glares aren’t so bright?
>
> I feel like I need sunglasses playing this game.

Perhaps try changing the contrast/game brightness?

If you feel the need to take Ibuprofen too regularly, try playing in a well-lit room, for shorter sessions at a time, and longer breaks.

If things don’t improve and the headaches remain, even after reducing game time etc. a visit to your GP wouldn’t go amiss - but don’t just keep taking painkillers indefinitely!

I think its because the graphics are better and more complex in halo 4. However, the drawback to this is that the game as more lag. Lag in a game will give you a headache and make you feel like throwing up. The only thing you can do is lower your lag as much as possible. (1)Use a computer gaming monitor (ie Acer). (2) Use a VGA xbox cable. (3) Use a wired controller.