Halo 4 Forge!

So as we know forge is such an amazing tool that hundred of amazing and creative maps and game-types, considering the tools we have. I think forge is pretty basic at the moment and has a lot more that can be done. Moving on my ideas may be advanced but hear me out

Idea #1
Basic/Advanced Forge Modes

Just like in Reach how it has a “Basic editing” Game-type I think there should be two separate modes. One were its basic more like Halo 3’s forge but updated with maybe rotation snap and edit coordinates and whatever else they decide is considered “basic”. On the other hand the advanced mode should be more well advanced like having the game-type labels, spawn sequence, symmetry and whatever else they decide to add. I think this will let those who aren’t that good at forge still can build just as awesome maps as someone who knows a lot more.

Idea #2
Gravity Zones

Well this one is really simple just an object like a spawn zone or hill that you can edit the shape of it. and you can control the gravity(higher/lower) simple but it works well for maps space ones zero-G rooms etc

Idea #3
Removal of budget

I am sure this idea will be very skeptical at first but i say take it out and add a warnings like lets say when it starts getting at a dangerous number of objects in one area or just on the map a notification will pop up and say that there is a chance that you map may lag or glitch or crash etc. to replace the budget.

Idea #4
Invisable Walls!!

No real explination needed here

Idea #5
Power-up zone

Like a custom power up but when you enter the area of effect you have the traits and when you leave it you are back to the game-types default traits.

Give me some critsism and feel free to post your ideas here too

i honestly think…halo 4 should have the best forge ever…especially if they add moving objects…like if ur making the titanic…an actual sinking titanic…or maybe a scarab…a lowering scarab so someone can board…u know like messing with th forge menu…extreme forging…tell me what YOU think…and please add me

> i honestly think…halo 4 should have the best forge ever…especially if they add moving objects…like if ur making the titanic…an actual sinking titanic…or maybe a scarab…a lowering scarab so someone can board…u know like messing with th forge menu…extreme forging…tell me what YOU think…and please add me

i love the idea of adding very heavy vehicals like a scarab, i loved the idea of the elephant in H3
and yeah i think they should go all out on forge. Personally i think forge and multiplayer should just be on a seprate disc while firefight and capmainge can be on athoer

Forge should just have advanced forge. Yes it’s hard for newcomers of forge to get used to the new settings, but advanced options just make everything a lot easier. Gravity Zones, awesome idea. Removal of budget seems pretty dangerous but it should be possible for all objects share a budget. For example, if I want to spend my entire budget on walls I can do so, instead of only being able to use fifty; If this would create some kind of lag to the map, then put a warning when/if this happens. Invisible walls, again genius. Power up zones are a good idea, but there should also be an option to able to keep the power-up when you leave, again, optional. Reason for this is because sometimes there is only one custom power up at a certain spot, and then all the other spartans are left out of the juicy goodness of the custom power-ups.

Some other ideas I have are:

1. Civilian vehicles: Being a Machinima writer/director, it’s really hard to get certain shots to work with just mongooses, and warthogs with broken turrets. Maybe other decorative items such as computers, like the ones on High Ground from Halo 3.

2. Weather and Time Effects: These would be so awesome to have for Custom Games and such. Also it should be possible to be able to set the range on where on the map this effect works. (Ex: Rain on the blue side of blood gulch, and I want snow on the red side.)
    <strong>3. More Custom Options:</strong>
    <strong>a. Allow things to disappear after a certain amount of time.</strong>
    b. Add more custom game options to forge. (Ex: In Halo reach you can make the warthog a bomb. In Halo 4 make it possible for the Warthog to be a plant point.)
    c. Make Custom game options turn on with in-game buttons. (See 4th idea for details.)
    <strong>4. Buttons, Doors, Switches, etc: Although this seems pretty tricky to be able to wire one thing to another I thought of a simpler idea from looking at teleporters. Allow buttons to connect to doors or traffic blocks, by going to the custom options of the button, putting it on Alpha and then set the door to Alpha. Custom buttons should be added to trigger items to spawn, secondary custom game options to take effect, items to disappear and more. I will be posting a thread about this and will post a link on this later.</strong>
    <strong>5. Breakable items: This will also be posted on another thread because of all the ideas I have but I’ll give a brief description. All items by default will be indestructible by default, unless otherwise stated like pallets. However, all items would have an option to be destructible by the settings.</strong>
    That’s all I have for now.

> Forge should just have advanced forge. Yes it’s hard for newcomers of forge to get used to the new settings, but advanced options just make everything a lot easier. Gravity Zones, awesome idea. Removal of budget seems pretty dangerous but it should be possible for all objects share a budget. For example, if I want to spend my entire budget on walls I can do so, instead of only being able to use fifty; If this would create some kind of lag to the map, then put a warning when/if this happens. Invisible walls, again genius. Power up zones are a good idea, but there should also be an option to able to keep the power-up when you leave, again, optional. Reason for this is because sometimes there is only one custom power up at a certain spot, and then all the other spartans are left out of the juicy goodness of the custom power-ups.
>
> Some other ideas I have are:
>
> 1. Civilian vehicles: Being a Machinima writer/director, it’s really hard to get certain shots to work with just mongooses, and warthogs with broken turrets. Maybe other decorative items such as computers, like the ones on High Ground from Halo 3.
>
> 2. Weather and Time Effects: These would be so awesome to have for Custom Games and such. Also it should be possible to be able to set the range on where on the map this effect works. (Ex: Rain on the blue side of blood gulch, and I want snow on the red side.)
> <strong>3. More Custom Options:</strong>
> <strong>a. Allow things to disappear after a certain amount of time.</strong>
> b. Add more custom game options to forge. (Ex: In Halo reach you can make the warthog a bomb. In Halo 4 make it possible for the Warthog to be a plant point.)
> c. Make Custom game options turn on with in-game buttons. (See 4th idea for details.)
> <strong>4. Buttons, Doors, Switches, etc: Although this seems pretty tricky to be able to wire one thing to another I thought of a simpler idea from looking at teleporters. Allow buttons to connect to doors or traffic blocks, by going to the custom options of the button, putting it on Alpha and then set the door to Alpha. Custom buttons should be added to trigger items to spawn, secondary custom game options to take effect, items to disappear and more. I will be posting a thread about this and will post a link on this later.</strong>
> <strong>5. Breakable items: This will also be posted on another thread because of all the ideas I have but I’ll give a brief description. All items by default will be indestructible by default, unless otherwise stated like pallets. However, all items would have an option to be destructible by the settings.</strong>
> That’s all I have for now.

I highly agree with all of your ideas :smiley:

One thing I’ve been hoping for since Halo 3, was to have the ability to change the direction of gravity. This idea originally came to me when I was forging on Halo 3, creating a “twisted hallway”. I wanted the hallway to quite litterally twist, while still having the character run on the original floor. That way, at one point in the hallway, you’d actually be upside down!

This could actually go along with the gravity intensity idea you guys have (which I like alot!).

Weather was the other big thing I wanted implemented (Going along with that, I also wanted to see night and day). Let’s say we’re on forge world, and I wanted to make a map (invasion, for example) that would go throughout the “whole day”. I could have characters start on a clear night on one side of the main cave, and come out on an extremely stormy day on the other, to create the feeling that you’ve been in the cave for an extensive period of time.

(I apologize for double posting, if that’s a problem on this forum)

A few other things I wanted to see in forge:

1: Pre-Destroyed vehicles - Have the ability to place these (along with suggestion 2) in an area give a sort of eerie feel to an area.

2: corpses/blood - (going along with suggestion 1) Let’s say you’re trying to create a sort of post-battle-look to an area, wouldn’t it be good to have somebody to have lying around? (And by blood, I mean being able to place it on walls/ground.

3: Traps: Not too much explaining needed here. Though one thing I wanted to see, was almost a sort of motion sensitive “trap” that when you walk past a certain point (let’s say in a cramped hallway), a body could fall from the ceiling to the floor/ be hung from a rope, hanging from the ceiling, in order to make the players jump.

Everything everone has said is great.

A couple things I’ve thought up or seen somewhere else:
1)Wildlife (Moa, Guta, etc.). I know that scripting AI onto a map not coded with AI in mind is impossible, but the fundementals must be the same (thought I’m no code tech). Floor is floor, wall is wall (Maybe make these changeable in the object in question’s menu–ie, make hill marker capture point or spawn). Just place the wildlife somewhere on your map and then choose an area where it will wander, through the “object shape” etc. settings. This could make for some interesting custom games (catch the Moa?) if you could then set the wildlife to any particular title (hill maybe?).

1. Speaking of customs, the settings in Reach suck. Just give us back Halo 3 custom settings with whatever improvements you want and I’ll be happy, but half the game modes that made H3 great are impossible in Reach.

2. Back on topic with Forge now, I want old items. Most notably trip mines. Anyone remember “Sacrifice” on “Lava Pit?” Yeah, it’s impossible to completely recreate without tripmines. I tried a thingamabopper with a tunnel (made out of tunnels) with a portable shield at the top. Perched on top of the shield was a landmine. You had to shoot the shield with your pistol (which was really hard because for some reason the mine keeps blowing up when you only hit the shield) which takes a long time, allowing you to be knocked off. Even if you do succesfully activate it, it’s not the same game because you can’t place the mine wherever you want.
    Now that you’ve suffered through my extensive example, hopefully you understand what I want–all options that have ever been available to always be available. That doesn’t mean that you have to have it in MM, or Campaign. But leave it in the game for the simple sake of customs and Forge.

3. How about a Forge Fight? Each team gets a budget and 1 (you heard me, only 1–or more if you change the settings) player who is allowed to use the monitor mode. Maybe he would be invincible. Maybe not. You decide with the custom settings. But the idea is that the monitor player has to give his teamates cover, vehicles, weapons, etc. etc. etc (even health packs :D)

4. It’s been asked for over and over again–Firefight forge. While I want it just as bad as everyone else, I realize that it is practically impossible. So, the next best thing–generator defense in normal custom games (meaning it is forgeable.)

That’s about it, I’d just like to emphasize civilian vehicles and really big ones (pelicans, phantoms, scarabs, elephants…)

I don’t really suppose it would go here, but I had an idea for a map that could have ben used in a map pack in Reach. I wanted it to be extremely high in the sky (not quite space, but around where the supercarrier would hover, I suppose), there would be a huge covenant ship and a huge human ship. Both of these ships would be flying parallel to eachother, firing away with the main guns. The players, would then have to either get into an arial vehicle, or get into one of the ship’s guns, to kill the other players. I also suggested creating a multi-person covenant arial vehicle (not quite phantom, more like a falcon), and a single-person human ship. Once outside, the players would then have to endure the shots being fired from the main ships and the players’ ships. The wind would be out of whack outside, making flying, dodging, and shooting, a bit of a challenge. At the end (let’s say it’s slayer, and one team got the most kills), the losing team’s main ship would blow up, and fall to the ground, (in a small cinematic).

Going along with the elusive firefight forge, couldn’t it just be you building the map, placing enemy spawn points, then setting it up like you normally would in the game options? Or is there something I’m blatently missing? (I also really wanted to be able to have a New Alexandria firefight map, flying through the air, going from building to building)

My thread is up :slight_smile:

While removal of budget is a dangerous idea that probably wouldn’t work, why can’t the editor be more like the one in far cry 2 where there is no limit to the number of a specific item and the only limit is the extremely large “budget”.

Also, the way that game engines work (yeah, I’m a nerd) is that the first static mesh (item) that you place is the one that loads into the level, and then the rest are just copies of the original. I have yet to see a map editor that takes this into account, and this would mean that you can place a very large number of items. The only limit would be rendering.