Halo 4 Forge Wish List

Campaign and Multiplayer in Halo games are great, but Forge and the massive amounts of customization for private games is what keeps Halo games going for significantly longer and allows gamers to create their own version of Halo. Plus i love it when they put out community made maps into matchmaking, its like a free map pack :slight_smile:

Post more things you want in Forge 3.0 and i will add them to the list

THINGS WE WONT GET: these are unrealistic or impossible
Terrain editor
unlimited global item count
scarabs
firefight forge
campaign forge
space battles
pelicans/phantoms
undo or ctrl+Z type mechanism (don’t be hating, ill explain why)
more lights (there is a very good reason why u only get 2 lights)

FEATURES WE WANT: w. in reason
forge world with gigantic perfectly flat field
multiple themed forge world(s) i.e. ice, sand, grass, etc.
different item skins (enough all grey maps)
grouping items so they can all be moved at once
mirror single items (or item sets if possible)
a coordinate system that actually lines up with all items and doesn’t bug out
no individual item count, only global item limit
better option for mass flooring
gravity specific zones
skybox empty map (maybe different backdrops too)
editable map file sorting, making folders for map types instead of scrolling through
all the maps under “Forge World”
item scaling: make pre-made items like buildings be able to scale big/small
ability to launch custom testing game from mid forge session

ITEMS WE WANT:
Trees/stumps/foliage
Cylinders of various size and shapes, hollow and solid
ladders
civilian vehicles (forklift/truck races!)
more preset aesthetic items that appear in campaign (steel drums, cable spools, etc)
forge-able dead bodies
breakable glass
destroyed vehicles

WHY UNDO IS IMPOSSIBLE:
computers and programs like Autocad (engineering simulation program) are input based systems, u give command, computer reacts to command based based on what the code reads. Undo button deletes the last input and restores to the previous code segment. Halo forge is run IN REAL TIME. this means that there is no interval saving for the system to revert back to. Sorry guys, its an impossible feature as long as forge is done in real time.

Items
Forge-able corpses. They function as immovables – they only ragdoll in Forge, to save on memory. Low level-of-detail is acceptable. Civilians and other non-Spartan-non-Covenant models are preferable.

Blood. Technically, we wouldn’t place bloodstains; rather, we’d place blood particle emitters. In-game, these invisible objects would spawn, spray, and vanish. In Forge, we’d be able to see the direction they’re pointing in, choose between linear or conic spray, and have some way to “fire” them to make them spray. Essentially, it wouldn’t be anything new, game-engine-wise.

Null vehicle. A vehicle with six to eight “invisible” seats, which can have a huge variety of parts (seats, turrets, or even inactive parts to form the visible body of the vehicle) assigned to them. (See “Vehicle mixing-and-matching” in Features, below.)

Features
Despawn time. Just what it sounds like: an object will vanish <despawn time> seconds after it spawns.

Vehicle mixing-and-matching. Halo’s vehicle system actually supports attaching any model to a vehicle “seat”. Certain illegitimate alterations have replaced vehicle seats in Halo 3 and Halo: Reach at run-time, creating things like Mongooses with Shade turrets mounted to the back; Falcons with the gunners and cockpit all being Scorpion turrets (it could still fly!); Warthogs with Wraith mortar launchers; Warthogs with immobile Brutes glued to them (the game thought the Brutes were turrets); and more. It’s clear that with comparatively few modifications, vehicles could be made to mix-and-match seats legitimately. The “null vehicle” (see Items, above) would allow us to best take advantage of this.

A new “Dynamic” physics setting. “Normal” physics replicates Halo 3’s physics perfectly, to the point of making immovables mobile only in Forge. “Dynamic” would make all objects, even immovables, mobile in and outside of Forge. (In other words, a “Dynamic” Wall Coliseum would behave like a “Normal” Heavy Crate.)

Axis-angle editing. If Halo 4 continues to use axis-angle to store object positions (rather than a normal XYZ Euler rotation system), then this should be reflected in-game. Objects should be snapped to their axis-angle approximations at run-time, so that we always know exactly what an object will look like when we actually save the map.

id like a weapon editor, you can take a gun model, change its rate of fire, what it fires, clip size, spread, and damage.

ie: a fully automatic dual weid-able tank cannon with a 100 round clip in the form of a magnum.

great for secret weapons on forged maps :smiley:

I think it would be neat if they incorporated rope or wire in forge with working physics. Suspending objects or a bridge piece from it would be cool. The possibilities to be had with obstacle course maps would be endless.

I like the idea of a rope feature, as maybe something you could hold onto, like the boarding action it would say ‘Hold X to grab rope’ and you’d grab it, there fore showing a 3rd person or 1st person view with you swinging on the rope, then you could jump off after creating momentum, or climb up the rope while on it.

I apologize in advance for the long post.

Here is what I personally want changed in Forge for Halo 4 (some of these things have already been said, and I am just explaining in greater detail; figure someone is more likely to listen if a solid case can be made):

1. Fix the rotation so that rotations are stable (ie, no more unwanted rotation shifts), and so that objects are easier to rotate without going askew (annoying how 90 degrees on the pitch seems to cause the engine to essentially confuse yaw and roll). Should also fix rotation snaps so that they don’t do weird, unexpected things (no reason for something already snapped to 90 degrees to suddenly rotate another 90 degrees when it’s grabbed). For that matter, I personally think that rotation snaps should only take effect if/when you actually try to rotate the object, and not just because you grabbed it, and it would be nice if you could somehow have only certain rotation values snap & not others (so that you could take something with a rotation of say 90, 27, 12 & rotate the pitch by another 90 without affecting the other two).

2)Fix the file save system, so that you never, ever have a map get saved over another random file. I recently had a friend lose a map to this. Thankfully he had an older, unfinished version, but he still lost quite a few hours of hard work. Also, I’ve noticed that you pretty much have to select a map from the file menu each time you want to open it for editing, even if it was the last map you edited, because often it will load up an older version of that map from the cache, prior to the last save. Would be nice if that wasn’t a concern either.

1. An undo (accessible through the start menu, maybe?), hopefully with some sort of back history (although even an undo without a back history would be a major improvement).

2. More precision for nudging, using perhaps a “precision snap” system where you can choose how many decimal points you want for coordinate accuracy, as well as a toggle for slow hand-nudging (it’s awkward to hold the left stick down while nudging; would rather click it to toggle). There should also be more compatibility between free-hand and coordinate, so that a free-hand nudge isn’t completely destroyed by going into the coordinate menu. This is all the more important for free-hand height nudging, since the bumpers aren’t pressure sensitive like the thumb sticks (even with holding down the left stick, the bumpers are still too inaccurate.).

5)The ability to temporarily lock specific objects from editing. For instance, this would make it easier to forge inside a structure without worrying about accidentally moving or deleting the floor instead of the weapon. Locked objects should still allow read-only access to the coordinate menu, so that you can check the coordinates (like if you wanted to copy or mirror the rotation and/or position) without worrying about accidentally moving it, it or snapping the rotation, or undoing a hand-nudge. The ability to lock down specific position and/or rotation values apart from the others would also be nice, so that for instance you could do free-hand nudging that would be guaranteed to only affect what you want it to (eg, so that you could free-hand nudge up or down without worrying about errors creeping into your carefully placed width and depth).

6)Group select, so that a group of objects can be moved/manipulated all together (remaining in the exact same positions/rotations relative to each other)

7)Copy and paste (should only allow if the source & destination map were both created by the player, to discourage using it for map stealing)

1. More variation in Forge objects, both in size/shape & texture. Would be nice to have more possible textures to choose from, other than all gray

2. More standardization in size/shape, mainly in how “flat” is defined from object to object. I personally find it annoying how a 2x2 flat is so much thicker than a 5x5 flat; IMO, this makes them incompatible for many applications.

10)Lower framerate issues by giving forgers more control over getting rid of z-fighting, as well as control over lights & glass (IMO, glass should only be there if it’s the point of the object, like a window or glass cover or something). Perhaps lights could be toggled for each object, so that they would still be there if wanted. Hopefully, we will be able to get more objects on the screen without having lag. And I really hope they get rid of the disco glitch; I personally find it a lot more obnoxious than just plan lag. Basically, they need to give forgers more tools for optimizing performance on their maps

11)Some sort of find & highlight feature. Some objects can be a major pain to find once placed, either due to being obscured by another object, or due to being very small. This is especially a problem with things like killzones (you have to be right on top of them before they’re visible). It’s also a major problem when you need to empty out a map that doesn’t come pre-emptied, where you have to track down every little weapon scattered around (a problem with any map other than Forgeworld, although for such instances, it would be nice to have a simple “clear out map” function). Combined with this, it should be possible to somehow grab an object that is embedded inside another object (where normally you would have to either move or delete something to get at it). On a similar note, it would also be nice if you could somehow view more than one boundary shape at a time. This would make it a LOT easier to coordinate various safe/kill boundaries.

12)Less open space required for the monitor to manipulate an object (or at least some way for the game to lower the space requirements based on what is actually available nearby). This would make forging in tight spaces easier, so that you don’t have to worry so much about getting bumped around, or worse, having the screen shake violently when you get stuck in a tight spot. Similar to that, I personally hope we get more control over where we can be looking/focusing on while rotating an object. Sometimes, while rotating something large like say, a coliseum wall, I would like to be able to focus on one particular edge, so that I can match that edge the edge of some other object. The way it’s currently setup, I’m forced to view the wall as a whole, and it’s hard to see what how close the edge is getting to where I want it. This sometimes forces me to stop rotating, fly over to the edge to see if it looks right, rotate a little more, check again, etc.

1. Some way to view the total number of objects on your map, as well as how many of a specific item you have on the map. Currently, you can keep track of how many objects from a certain category you have on the map, but sometimes it would be helpful to know how many of a specific object you’ve used.

I had one more idea that wouldn’t fit into my previous post:

1. A truly empty canvas. Something with a skybox and nothing else. No terrain or buildings of any kind (not even a “floor”, other than an invisible one). This would be for more or less self-contained buildings and/or spacecraft, where no terrain is wanted or needed. Even better would be if you could select from several skybox choices. For example, there could be a space skybox, for people who want to build spaceships (would be far better than using purple fx on Forgeworld, since it would actually look like space rather than nighttime, and the actual map would still be well-lit). The invisible boundaries should be made visible in some way in Forge mode (or else the forger would be running around blind), but not in a custome game. The “floor” should be invisible, but walkable. Forgers could then simply add kill zones for “bottomless pits” and such.

pelicans/phantoms are not impossible, they have codding in reach for driving them, so…

and …

i just want a big map, and a lot of vehicles

> Campaign and Multiplayer in Halo games are great, but Forge and the massive amounts of customization for private games is what keeps Halo games going for significantly longer and allows gamers to create their own version of Halo. Plus i love it when they put out community made maps into matchmaking, its like a free map pack :slight_smile:
>
> Post more things you want in Forge 3.0!
>
> THINGS WE WONT GET: these are unrealistic or impossible
> Terrain editor
> unlimited global item count
> scarabs
> firefight forge
> campaign forge
> space battles
> pelicans/phantoms
>
> FEATURES WE WANT: w. in reason
> forge world with gigantic perfectly flat field
> multiple themed forge world(s) i.e. ice, sand, grass, etc.
> different item skins (enough all grey maps)
> grouping items so they can all be moved at once
> mirror single items (or item sets if possible)
> a coordinate system that actually lines up with all items and doesn’t bug out
> no individual item count, only global item limit
> better option for mass flooring
>
> ITEMS WE WANT: ill add to this as ppl post more things
> Trees/stumps/foliage
> Cylinders of various size and shapes, hollow and solid
> ladders
> civilian vehicles (forklift/truck races!)
> more preset aesthetic items that appear in campaign (steel drums, cable spools, etc)

Hey now, don’t say “Features we won’t get,” keep your aims high!

I’ve really wanted to fight the Gueta, like maybe a way to implement the Gueta or even Moa into Forge World or a place like it. How fun would it be to play a game with a few Moas around the map and you go hunting for them.

I bet the “skybox only” canvas would really help in map rendering, allowing forgers to truly push it to the limit since no terrain would need to be rendered.

Gravity box: Set the gravity in a G-Box to for example make a 0-G room in a normal G area.

A way to put water where we want would be nice, make a water fall, flood the map after completing an objective. Make a swamp area.
We should also be able to go in water without dying, we are Spartans, we can take a couple feet of water.

A way to put objects on a track: Take a bridge and put it on a track to go to different platforms so people can step on the bridge and wait for it to go to the other platform, this was just an example, using the same idea you could imagine the amazing potential of such a tool.

We need some mechs in Halo.

We should be able to put at least double the amount of stuff we could before. I think quadruple would be nice thought.

Destructable glass widows.
Civy vehicles.
Furnature.
Destroyed vehicles.

I’d like to see bots utiilzed in some way, even if we don’t get a forgeable firefight. Perhaps there could be special “bot spawns” you could place, and then you could set what enemies would spawn from them, how often (perhaps one time, perhaps continously, based on whatever setting is chosen). These bots would just be common campaign enemies, like grunts, jackals, elites, etc (though you should be able to choose which, of course). What would be really neat is that if you combined this with Invasion, you could essentially forge mini campaign levels. You could have the spartans on red team, but instead of providing blue team spawns you would place bot spawns at various points, each based on the current phase. Then the spartans have to accomplish their goals in each phase while fighting through hordes of enemies, which would give it a very campaign-ish feel.

Another idea I had would be to provide special zones where you could apply a different set of rules to that zone. This would enable forgers to have, for example, special areas where the gravity is reduced. This can be done currently, but only on King of the Hill, where you can specify different game settings for the hill zone(s). With my idea, it would be a special zone that could apply to any or all gametypes. It could be as simple as using a hill marker, and then applying a Special_Zone tag. Then, in the custom game settings, you could specify a different set of rules for the zone, similar to how custom powerups work (perhaps the special zone would be disabled in the settings by default, and you would have to enable it before making the changes).

With the special zone idea, it could even be taken one step further and have the option of several independent special zones (limited to some number, whatever it may be; perhaps you could have three or four of them). Which zone the hill marker is for would be determined by the tag, like Special_Zone1, Special_Zone2, etc. Then you would just have to enable the appropriate zone(s) in the custom settings, and change the values. Although there would be a limit on the number of independant zones, I suppose you could have any number of say, Special_Zone2’s for example, all sharing the same settings.

Edit: Ninjaed by NarrowXleaderx, though my idea for special zones would enable more to be changed than just gravity.

I often thought of something like this as well…I admit to not reading your entire post out of slight laziness but got the gist.
I think it’d be awesome especially with the “team specific” settings we saw in Reach. So like, we could have bots on our team, and they don’t need to count as players either, simply creatures that operate to assist you and if you damage someone and they finish it off you get the kill that way no one’s -Yoinking!- about AI stealing their kills or robbing the team of kills. This could also be used to create a sort of offensive firefight mode where your the attacker and have to fight through rows of bots to…perhaps plant a bomb.
I feel like it isn’t impossible, and adding bots could satisfy hard to achieve goals in the forms of forge campaign and forge firefight.
I love the idea of bots. And bot settings as well. Like…maybe I can just load up other “player bots” and simulate matchmaking all by myself. AI that can steal flags, plant bombs, capture territories…ect. Also this would make testing some more basic game types and forge maps. You know help catch your flaws and what not. Hell, AI difficulty could be set in forge,(perhaps AI…types? like aggressive, defensive, objective…or stationary or…some simple variants I’m sure already exist within developers hands) along with species, weapons, class, if they’ll function as a player or will function as “guardians” or as support for a team. It’d be quite phenomenal really. It would most definitely be interesting to see. I would love it.
Its my main wish for forge honestly
OH GOD! Customizable AI types! Perhaps just picking from 3 or 4 categories…like a check list of AI traits, like make a spawn of vehicle heavy, offensive, LEGENDARY elites or something? That would be AMAZING.

How about Invasion “zones” once we’ve made our way past one zone of the map, the whole thing gets bumped forward, items like weapons, vehicles, abilities, respawn points and such, are deleted and a new batch of placed items are moved to the next combat zone. This make frame-rate issues and “numbers”(running out of items you want on the map as the game progresses like…there would be weapons stashed all over an area that just isn’t being used and are taking up the “number” of items placed in forge, so like each area could be forged separately showing a skeleton of the zones you already made so that you know where everything is in relation to one another. The transition to each “zone” could simply be done in the pause menu and would operate just as simply as “restart round” only when the round resets, there is a skeleton of the area you created for reference as you progress. Obviously, this would be optional. I often see maps where the attacker’s spawn never moves forward instead is compensated for being far away with the placement of fast spawning vehicles.
Also the whole…time items spawn after round begins thingy… settings should be tweaked so that we can be more precise. If I want an item to spawn in, 5 minutes into a game that takes all 10 minutes I’ve allotted then I should be able to(in reach we had like times like 1-10 seconds, 30 seconds, One minute, two minutes. I want a clock set i up like 2:33 (two minutes 33 seconds) this could work for a theatrical ending as well. For instance in Black Ops(whatever guys I like halo more just an example haha) a nuke drops at the end of a match on Nuke Town. Perhaps in my roll out cam if the games time runs out before the round is won (obviously an A/D type game) 25 fusion coils appear above my teams spawn and falls to the ground causing a huge explosion (so include a round over camera like theres the cameras you place to show off the map, show a end of match cam too idr if this is already a feature haha…)

How about interactive objects? Like door switches or light bridges, that’d be cool if at all possible.

Doors would be cool, but a light bridge sounds like it would add extreme lag. My guess would be that the light/particle effects necessary would make it far worse than any glass or light-related lag we have now.

I think the file storing system should be tweaked as well. For one thing, I think users should be able to add their own sub-folders or sub-categories under each map. I would love to be able to create a special map within the Forgeworld category for all aesthetic maps, one for race maps, one for mini games, etc, so that I don’t have to scroll through every single map to get to the one I want.

If you download a lot of Forge maps, scrolling through a long list can be really annoying, even when you use the triggers for paging up/down. Even better would be if you had the ability to create additional folders within folders you’ve already created, so for example that I could have a Star Wars sub-folder within my Aesthetic folder.

Another file system idea I had would be a better way to handle offline file sharing. Right now, it’s possible to copy a map variant to a flash drive to take to a friend’s system, but you have to leave Reach and browse the hard drive to get at it. The problem is that you have to figure out what is what, because you have no way of telling a map variant file from any other file (like say a theater clip, or a gametype, or a cached copy, or whatever), especially when several files have the same name.

It would be much nicer to be able to copy the files from the hard drive to the flash drive (or vice versa) within Reach’s file system. You would press X to go to file options, and if there is a a storage drive available other than the one currently in use, you would have the additional option to “Copy file to another drive” or something like that. That would probably bring up an xbox system pop-up, asking which drive to copy to (similar to the pop-up at the start of a game when you have multiple storage drives plugged in, only this would only for copying)

Options

• Kinect voice controls to navigate the Forge menus easier/faster
  • Undo/Redo option
  • Grouping option
  • Copy-Paste option
  • 3-4 Preset textures for building blocks (doesn’t have to be fancy stuff, but just an option to go for: Forerunner style, New Alexandria white-teal, Old Mombasa brown, Forerunner Delta-Halo ruins style for instance)
  • 3-4 Preset textures for floor blocks (like: grass, metal, dirt, stone)
  • Snap-on function (instantly snap/lock new objects on to the pieces you want to connect it with so that you can align them better)

Objects

• Usable objects like the gates on Zanzibar and High Ground
  • Tunnels
  • Non-usable vehicles like Pelicans, Phantoms, Vultures and Scarabs (or whatever similar, too big to use, vehicles will be in the campaign) that can act like bases/spawning locations/objectives
  • Destroyed vehicles
  • More lights
  • Ammo crates/cabinets
  • Lifts/tracks (like on H2’s Elongation)

> id like a weapon editor, you can take a gun model, change its rate of fire, what it fires, clip size, spread, and damage.
>
> <mark>ie: a fully automatic dual weid-able tank cannon with a 100 round clip in the form of a magnum.</mark>
>
> great for secret weapons on forged maps :smiley:

+1000000000000000000000000 internet points.