Halo 4 Forge Review:

Summery:

Halo 4’s forge was even at first, disappointing. The first think that was disappointing to me was the fact that we have the same exact forge objects as in Reach, but with a few shiny new toys. Only now, they have asymmetrical, aesthetic patterns which makes it very difficult to find the center of some objects (or the corner) to line things up neatly. While I understand the new “magnet” feature is supposed help you line things up better, it is in reality a hindrance more than a helpful tool in a lot of cases because of the numerous imperfections in the objects structure. Normally, these “issues” would be easily bypassed because of the “fine-tuning” feature that was widely used and depended upon in Reach by precision forgers, but for some reason didn’t seem important enough to the designers to be put into Halo 4’s forge.

Palette:

Halo 4’s forge palette is very disappointing because it doesn’t really offer anything new, save a few shiny new toys. Reach’s forge palette consisted of a wide variety of interesting, aesthetic, objects that were hard to find a home for on a simple map design. Often times you will see a map built with not a single object completely visible, the reason for this is that most of the objects are just to complicated. The object “brace, large” for instance, the only part of that object that I ever see used effectively is the long “bridge” part of the object. The part that curves like a J is hardly ever used!

What I’m trying to say is, I think the forge palette needs a complete overhaul. It would be SO much easier and strait forward if we had simple objects to use. Cubes, spheres, triangles, etc. Just look at Minecraft for instance. Everything in Minecraft is built out of blocks, very simple, yet see what people built? And I’m not saying forge should consist of nothing but blocks… and I’m not saying that all aesthetic objects are bad, I just think that the majority of the forge palette should consist of simple objects so people can design their maps the way they want them, and not have to design their maps around complicated objects.

Features:

In Reach’s forge, every feature was needed and used constantly. It could have used additions, not replacements. The “fine tuning” feature in Reach was the best addition to forge yet! You could use the coordinates to get and object about where you wanted it to be, but all to often it wouldn’t line up right, so fine-tuning the object was the perfect solution. Without the fine-tuning feature, Halo 4’s forge is just as difficult as Halo 3’s forge.

I don’t know if it is at all possible to add the “fine-tuning” feature in a future update, but if can be done, I know it would be very welcomed by many forgers.

Here and here are good examples of what kind of things I have built with the fine-tuning tool.

Extras:

One thing I think Halo 4 could benefit from, is a new forgeworld… but not like Reach’s forgeworld. What forgers are looking for isn’t huge amounts of random terrain to build a small map on. What we would like to see is a very simple, blank canvas on which to forge. Like sandbox, only more simple and with a bigger budget than Forgeworld.

Some things I would like to see in a forge palette for such a map would be, large rocks, so people could put some natural terrain if they wanted to (Ascension anyone?). Walls that dwarf coliseum walls, so we don’t have to use up half the budget on a map just to make a floor.

Threads That Support The Cause:

The State of Custom Games and Forge by: RanDum Phantom
Forge, Custom Game and Other Stuff Missing… by: sixten swe
Custom Games are Unacceptable, 343 by: Time Glitch (although I disagree with his lack of respect, he does support the cause).

Thanks for reading.

~Eshcka

Reserved.

Good, you beat me to it. Halo 4’s forge is a down grade to Reach’s. No fine-tuning also can’t zoom in while you forge. The zooming helped; I don’t know why they removed all that.

100% agree OP. Halo 4’s forge feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Don’t even get me started on how they butchered customs.

> 100% agree OP. Halo 4’s forge feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Don’t even get me started on how they butchered customs.

I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t include the “Race” gametype, everybody enjoyed some form of racing from time to time. :frowning: I was really looking forward to playing Rocket Race with the new Mongoose… it’s so much faster! :smiley:

I’m hoping that if enough people aren’t content with the current forge and custom games options that we can make ourselves heard and maybe 343 will add some more stuff in a future title update. I’m hoping that if we keep this thread alive, and enough people feel this way, I think we can make a difference. :slight_smile:

They need a Garry’s mod like Flatworld to build on, but with different enviorments
Ex.
Space
Grass
City
Snow
Etc…

Keep it simple… we need only the basics that aren’t currently in the game.

Maybe they can add some new forge maps in a future map pack. :slight_smile: But first, we need the tools with which to build.

> 100% agree OP. Halo 4’s forge feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Don’t even get me started on how they butchered customs.

I am confident customs can and will be fixed to at least an acceptable degree. Not so sure about forge though :confused:

You do know there are coordinates right? When you hold an object and press B there is an option for coordinates.

343 doesn’t seem to be nearly as thorough as bungie in terms of customization.

I was excited when I first saw them demo forge world. Too bad it didn’t turn out well. I was really disappointed going through the objects finding hardly anything new to use. Also with the maps, too small, not easy to build with. Give me large, open space.

I was about to say the same thing. I started forging a map and while it is a little more difficult than reach at times, since the new button layout, it will get easier. As for maps I agree they need a sandbox remake because it was nearly perfect. Bring a map like that bak and I’ll be satisfied for the remainder of Halo 4.

P.S. They need that overworld feature they hade with sandbox with some of the maps. It would be cool to have some “zeus” gametypes and other attack from above type things.

i see these threads pop up nearly every hour and feel the need to reply to all of them…i started making a map on impact and dont even have the drive to finish it without precision editing. This has got to be my biggest disappointment in the game

> You do know there are coordinates right? When you hold an object and press B there is an option for coordinates.

Oh yes, coordinates are helpful, but not for everything. Example: if you want to use a “brace large” as a ramp, and you rotate it 30 degrees, the end of the “brace large” will not line up properly because it’s at an angle.

Coordinates and magnets are helpful in some situations and do make building basic structures faster, but if you need to make something different, it’s extremely difficult and time consuming. The “fine-tuning” tool could be applied to any situation to get any object exactly where you need it.

Here and here are good examples of what kind of “different” things I have built with the fine-tuning tool.

I don’t really mind the new forge (go ahead flame away) but it would have been nice to have larger maps (maybe still the same maps, just with a LOT more area to place objects.

I have found magnets very useful, but they would be even better if you could choose where the connection points were on the item. I find that as soon as i try to make something more “exotic” shall we say, magnets don’t really help and it ends up getting messy.

Otherwise i dont really mind, but then again im not really a hard core forger like some.

> I don’t really mind the new forge (go ahead flame away) but it would have been nice to have larger maps (maybe still the same maps, just with a LOT more area to place objects.
>
> I have found magnets very useful, but they would be even better if you could choose where the connection points were on the item. I find that as soon as i try to make something more “exotic” shall we say, magnets don’t really help and it ends up getting messy.
>
> Otherwise i dont really mind, but then again im not really a hard core forger like some.

Exactly! Magnets are useful to a degree. But their usefulness can only be applied to a very limited and basic number of situations.

While magnets are a nice addition, it is by no means an equal replacement.

Has any one had a problem with shadow or light rendering, I cant even use more than half the budget with out the light not generating its sucks. I cant even make a BTB map and dont let me get started with the hovering on certain forge objects.

> 343 doesn’t seem to be nearly as thorough as bungie in terms of customization.

Not yet. If enough people want at least as much customization as Reach had, I think we can make ourselves heard. Custom games and forge have become a huge part of Halo. Halo 4 is 343’s first game, like they have said in the past, they are still learning, and I think we can help by bringing things to their attention!

WE need a U.N.S.C Flying vehicle like the pelican or something so that the humans can use something themed to the space map (impact)as well as making it so the covies aren’t completely overpowered in airbattles

Keep in mind that the new forge is not 343’s baby. Certain Affinity did the new forge. You can blame them.