Halo 4 Forces Casual Play

Ive been a competitive Halo player since I fell in love with it in 2006, Ive purchased every Halo since Halo 3, and have spent countless hours playing both on and offline.

The problem is, even though I enjoy Halo 4, I can’t enjoy playing it competitively for several hours like I used to with the other titles. Ive come to realize that I only casually play it when im really in the mood, or have friends online; just like I do with any CoD title.

Halo 4 has turned me into a casual player.

That’s not what a casual player is.

how did it do that?

> That’s not what a casual player is.

How would you define one, then ?

> how did it do that?

I just don’t enjoy it like I enjoyed previous titles. I never feel a strong urge to play unless invited.

Your definition of “casual” is not the same as others. You’re making a broad generalization there.

Given most people I know who use “casual” for gamers tend to use it for “person who has a life outside of videogaming but enjoys them as a hobby”? You’re better off.

Your better off. You shoudnt measure your e-peen with a game anyway.

> Youre* better off. You shoudnt measure your <mark>e-peen</mark> with a game anyway.

My what ?

Say what? I’m sorry but to me, even with this new halo… I play with a competitive mindset. Play to win. I can’t understand how a player could enjoy halo by casually playing, not caring if he earns a win or a loss. You go to Los Vegas to win… Not to lose. And when I do lose, I want to know I gave it my all… Load it up in theater and learn why my all wasn’t enough.

It’s not about being the best… It’s about giving my best. Learning what can be done and then doing it.

The more I win, the tougher opponents I face… That’s we’re the fun is at! The Challenge, the Complexity and the competition.

Playing casually means, in my opinion… Just not really caring. Killing time. No passion. No Challenge. Just flashing lights and mindless “fun.” If Halo 4 has done this to you… My heart sinks for you bud.

> Given most people I know who use “casual” for gamers tend to use it for “person who has a life outside of videogaming but enjoys them as a hobby”? You’re better off.

Ive had a life, but what I am to do between semesters ?
… Guess i’ll check out some 2013 titles…

> Say what? I’m sorry but to me, even with this new halo… I play with a competitive mindset. Play to win. I can’t understand how a player could enjoy halo by casually playing, not caring if he earns a win or a loss. You go to Los Vegas to win… Not to lose. And when I do lose, I want to know I gave it my all… Load it up in theater and learn why my all wasn’t enough.
>
> It’s not about being the best… It’s about giving my best. Learning what can be done and then doing it.
>
> The more I win, the tougher opponents I face… That’s we’re the fun is at! The Challenge, the Complexity and the competition.
>
> Playing casually means, in my opinion… Just not really caring. Killing time. No passion. No Challenge. Just flashing lights and mindless “fun.” If Halo 4 has done this to you… My heart sinks for you bud.

I have 1000+ more kills than deaths across all gametypes. The game is too easy, and that’s just no fun. I only enjoy it now when I am participating with a group of friends.

> > .
>
> I have 1000+ more kills than deaths across all gametypes. The game is too easy, and that’s just no fun. I only enjoy it now when I am participating with a group of friends.

Damn… This alone is a cry for a ranked playlist.

> > > .
> >
> > I have 1000+ more kills than deaths across all gametypes. The game is too easy, and that’s just no fun. I only enjoy it now when I am participating with a group of friends.
>
> Damn… This alone is a cry for a ranked playlist.

meh, Ive never enjoyed ranked playlist, people play too defensively, and games move way too slow.

> Say what? I’m sorry but to me, even with this new halo… I play with a competitive mindset. Play to win. I can’t understand how a player could enjoy halo by casually playing, not caring if he earns a win or a loss. You go to Los Vegas to win… Not to lose. And when I do lose, I want to know I gave it my all… Load it up in theater and learn why my all wasn’t enough.
>
> It’s not about being the best… It’s about giving my best. Learning what can be done and then doing it.
>
> The more I win, the tougher opponents I face… That’s we’re the fun is at! The Challenge, the Complexity and the competition.
>
> Playing casually means, in my opinion… Just not really caring. Killing time. No passion. No Challenge. Just flashing lights and mindless “fun.” If Halo 4 has done this to you… My heart sinks for you bud.

Let me help you understand playing for fun without necessarily needing to play to win.

For a lot of us, myself included, there are other things to concern yourself with than victory. There’s a sort of emotional kick, not quite an adrenaline rush, which a game can give you to give you a feel of excitement, danger and tension. I most often experience this when I’ve played a few rounds and I’m in a situation where things get hairy; explosions everywhere, being outmanned and/or outgunned, or any time when the flag/ball/crown winds up in your possession.

This is what I play Halo for. I try to win, obviously; a fun game is made all the more so by success, but doesn’t require it. I don’t play for my KDR, I don’t play for my EXP or my win/lose ratio or any of that. I play for nothing else but the emotional high of a high-action environment, and to see whether or not I can overcome whatever challenges come along.

An example of what ruins this? Spawn camping, bunny hopping, exploitations that are technically game-legal, but ruin the atmosphere. These things (example: finding a camping spot in Flood/Infection and pistoling the zombies) strike me as both silly and pointless: How can you get into the feel of being a cybernetically enhanced super soldier in 1,000 pound power armor if you’re being a rabbit or fighting like you’re scared of a proper mashup? How am I supposed to take you seriously when you play like this? It looks ridiculous and even if it’s my teammates or I’m winning against people using these tactics, it ruins the fun for me, because the game doesn’t give me the feel that these Spartans are a bunch of half-kangaroo cowards trained to run, hide and never actually get into a real fight.

Does that help at all?

> > Say what? I’m sorry but to me, even with this new halo… I play with a competitive mindset. Play to win. I can’t understand how a player could enjoy halo by casually playing, not caring if he earns a win or a loss. You go to Los Vegas to win… Not to lose. And when I do lose, I want to know I gave it my all… Load it up in theater and learn why my all wasn’t enough.
> >
> > It’s not about being the best… It’s about giving my best. Learning what can be done and then doing it.
> >
> > The more I win, the tougher opponents I face… That’s we’re the fun is at! The Challenge, the Complexity and the competition.
> >
> > Playing casually means, in my opinion… Just not really caring. Killing time. No passion. No Challenge. Just flashing lights and mindless “fun.” If Halo 4 has done this to you… My heart sinks for you bud.
>
> Let me help you understand playing for fun without necessarily needing to play to win.
>
> For a lot of us, myself included, there are other things to concern yourself with than victory. There’s a sort of emotional kick, not quite an adrenaline rush, which a game can give you to give you a feel of excitement, danger and tension. I most often experience this when I’ve played a few rounds and I’m in a situation where things get hairy; explosions everywhere, being outmanned and/or outgunned, or any time when the flag/ball/crown winds up in your possession.
>
> This is what I play Halo for. I try to win, obviously; a fun game is made all the more so by success, but doesn’t require it. I don’t play for my KDR, I don’t play for my EXP or my win/lose ratio or any of that. I play for nothing else but the emotional high of a high-action environment, and to see whether or not I can overcome whatever challenges come along.
>
> An example of what ruins this? Spawn camping, bunny hopping, exploitations that are technically game-legal, but ruin the atmosphere. These things (example: finding a camping spot in Flood/Infection and pistoling the zombies) strike me as both silly and pointless: How can you get into the feel of being a cybernetically enhanced super soldier in 1,000 pound power armor if you’re being a rabbit or fighting like you’re scared of a proper mashup? How am I supposed to take you seriously when you play like this? It looks ridiculous and even if it’s my teammates or I’m winning against people using these tactics, it ruins the fun for me, because the game doesn’t give me the feel that these Spartans are a bunch of half-kangaroo cowards trained to run, hide and never actually get into a real fight.
>
> Does that help at all?

Help with what? I feel are main points are the same.

Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t mean victory is the fun… It’s the playing for the victory, more importantly playing against others that are playing for the victory. When playing a good match, even a loss is “fun” when I know I gave it my all, load it up in theater and learn something new. Nice long post there though, I agree with pretty much all of that… Except there is one stat I try to mind… Win/loss

> Your definition of “casual” is not the same as others. You’re making a broad generalization there.

This. There are plenty of competatives still playing H4 competatively. Ghostayame just released MLG v1 settings. Get on GB and play. I guarantee you scrims on the MLG forums/GB/live events (if 343 continues with MLG) will provide you plenty of competition… promise =)

Get in there and have a blast. It’s actually quite easy if you don’t waste time on these forums soaking up all the unbased hate like lifewater.

Halo 4 is a great game, and is still competative, anyone who thinks otherwise obviously hasn’t spent a good amount of time LAN/GBing H4.

EDIT: This is all of course provided Halo 4 stays on the pro circuit. And hopefully GB stays up for halo even if it doesn’t.

> > Your definition of “casual” is not the same as others. You’re making a broad generalization there.
>
> This. There are plenty of competatives still playing H4 competatively. Ghostayame just released MLG v1 settings. Get on GB and play. I guarantee you scrims on the MLG forums/GB/live events (if 343 continues with MLG) will provide you plenty of competition… promise =)
>
> Get in there and have a <mark>blast</mark>. It’s actually quite easy if you don’t waste time on these forums <mark>soaking</mark> up all the unbased hate like lifewater.
>
> Halo 4 is a great game, and is still competative, anyone who thinks otherwise obviously hasn’t spent a good amount of time LAN/GBing H4.
>
> EDIT: This is all of course provided Halo 4 stays on the pro circuit. And hopefully GB stays up for halo even if it doesn’t.

I appreciate it, but I’d rather not go through the trouble of setting up matches and playing a <mark>watered</mark> down version of the game.

EDIT: I’m -Yoinking!- thirsty now !

> Ive been a competitive Halo player since I fell in love with it in 2006, Ive purchased every Halo since Halo 3, and have spent countless hours playing both on and offline.
>
> The problem is, even though I enjoy Halo 4, I can’t enjoy playing it competitively for several hours like I used to with the other titles. Ive come to realize that I only casually play it when im really in the mood, or have friends online; just like I do with any CoD title.
>
> Halo 4 has turned me into a casual player.

Well let’s look at this a bit more objectively. You’ve been playing Halo games since 2006. You’re no longer playing this one as actively as previous. Does this have to be the games fault? No. Besides food and abusable substances there’s hardly anything you could do for years and keep up the same intensity. Even with food and smack your taste changes over time and you’ll still do things different (in this case just less often) five or ten years out.

Welcome to being old. The stuff’s not as good as it used to be and it’s everyone else’s fault.

Honestly, since you mentioned you play COD in your OP talking about Competitive players, I am going to take a moment to laugh out loud, excuse me.