Halo 4 Firefight Suggestions

This is just in case you don’t know what Custom Edition is: Along with the PC port to Halo: Combat Evolved there is this add-on game that Gearbox released called “Halo Custom Edition” back in 2004. It allowed for players to create completely custom content/maps for the game. What I’m going to be talking about is a specific map that someone made in Mid 2010.

Along with the great multiplayer and single player maps people have made for Halo Custom Edition, more recently map designers have found ways to create Firefight maps as well. While most of them aren’t quite as good as official firefight, there is one that has stuck out to me. http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=5336 <- Firefight-Portent is a Firefight map that is based on another one of Halo Custom Edition’s custom made maps, Portent. It features Halo 3 weapons and a genius system of gameplay that is unique to it from normal Firefight maps. As you kill enemies, you gain money. With that money you buy weapons, ammo, barricades, and even characters help fight along side you (One person being Sgt. Johnson). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBk5FygPkE&feature=related <- Here is gameplay of the mapThis map actually satisfies my Firefight needs more than the official Firefights from Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach do at times which is insane to me seeing as though it’s community created. What I’m wondering is if you’d like to see some of the systems from this map to be included in Halo 4’s Firefight mode (Assuming it has one). The systems I’m talking about is the money accumulation and buying systems.

Here’s my suggestion. Scrap firefight completely and put that extra effort back into the core gameplay. I think that we all can agree that we’d rather have a couple more decent maps in reach instead of the laggy experience that is firefight.

> Here’s my suggestion. Scrap firefight completely and put that extra effort back into the core gameplay. I think that we all can agree that we’d rather have a couple more decent maps in reach instead of the laggy experience that is firefight.

No, do NOT scrap one of the most popular modes in Halo. They just need to build the netcode better and it’ll be a lot more fun. Ditch the HALO engine and make it in something else, and we won’t have the lag problem we have today.

> > Here’s my suggestion. Scrap firefight completely and put that extra effort back into the core gameplay. I think that we all can agree that we’d rather have a couple more decent maps in reach instead of the laggy experience that is firefight.
>
> No, do NOT scrap one of the most popular modes in Halo. They just need to build the netcode better and it’ll be a lot more fun. Ditch the HALO engine and make it in something else, and we won’t have the lag problem we have today.

Agreed. Firefight might not be an incredibly original game type, but I really like it a lot. The only real problems are “house-made”, i.e. AFCing for credits, playing FF for easy credits instead of experiencing the thrill of surviving wave after waves of enemies (ODST did it right, though), and improved netcode so that you don’t have input lag of up to a full second on a crappy and far away host.

I definitely agree with saying that the only problems caused by Firefight are player made problems, but did anyone look at the video? If so, how would you feel about that being a part of Halo 4’s Firefight?

seems like a good idea

yea they should hav this

good idea! they can also take an idea from Gears of War 3 and have boss battles after a certain number of waves. So like Destroy a Scarab or something along those lines. That would change up firefight a bit. I love firefight but seeing what COD and GOW are doing make me want this in Halo 4 firefight.

Love the idea, although you rack up points pretty fast. I would say dramatically increase the amount of points needed to buy or make certain equipment only after a certain number of rounds or something along those lines. Also love the idea of boss battles.

Actually there is a Halo CE mod that has a similar system. It has a shop in the pause menu that includes Weapons and ammo all the way to a SGT. Johnson helping you by your side! Here’s the vid:
Halo Custom Edition Map: Firefight Portent ]( [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYcL_XQULgA)The shop can be seen at 0:40.

Edit: I swear the op was kabasky’s post in here when I posted this. It’s cool though, isn’t it? Hope to see it in Halo 4 in some form.

> > Here’s my suggestion. Scrap firefight completely and put that extra effort back into the core gameplay. I think that we all can agree that we’d rather have a couple more decent maps in reach instead of the laggy experience that is firefight.
>
> No, do NOT scrap one of the most popular modes in Halo. They just need to build the netcode better and it’ll be a lot more fun. Ditch the HALO engine and make it in something else, and we won’t have the lag problem we have today.

Do you know how much time it would take to write an entire seperate engine for firefight. I honestly think that your ideas are solid, and don’t get me wrong I actually do like firefight; however, I think that the time it would take to do this would be completely not worth it for something as small as firefight. Halo is meant for multiplayer, not survival.

On a side note, if 343 miraculously does pull this off, I would love to see a flood firefight. Now that would be interesting!

> Here’s my suggestion. Scrap firefight completely and put that extra effort back into the core gameplay. I think that we all can agree that we’d rather have a couple more decent maps in reach instead of the laggy experience that is firefight.

I was more or less clicking on this thread to say the same thing. Firefight is just a waste of resources. If they made the campaign fun we wouldn’t need it, and they could put more effort into multiplayer.

I have An Idea for firefight for when Halo 4 comes out…

Basically a new type of Firefight will be just like firefight, ODST style. Except you have a points and rewards system.

Basically if you kill someone you get points, and you get additional points fore medals… Ex. Grunt = +20 points, Elite = +75 points, Hunter = +75 points, Double kill = +15 points, Triple kill = +35 points, Overkill = +70 points… etc etc.

Firefight maps supporting this will have armories (kind of like weapon caches from odst, talking in appearances) Which opens up and allows you to buy guns or vehicles. Yes, guns or vehicles. Or Ammo, or equipment if they have it in H4 (but PLEASE NO ARMOR ABILITIES 343i!!) And this armory will only open for 30 seconds after you finish a round, and then it will close, and if someone is in the armory while it closes they will get pushed out.

Guns should cost something like this

900 points = assault rifle/ ammo
900 points = Battle rifle/ ammo
600 points = Pistol/ ammo
2000 points = rocket Launcher/ ammo for 400 points. (343i needs to increase the ammount of clips you can hold from 6 to 12 in my opinion to make heavy weapons that hold less ammo more enjoyable for firefight)
1800 points = Spartan Laser
300 points = Bubble Shield (single use, Not dropshield)
2000 points = JetPack (the ONLY armor ability they should put in H4, and ONLY for firefight)
4 plasma grenades = 200 points
Sniper/ammo = 2000 points

and vehicles something like…
Warthog = 3000 points
Mongoose = 1500 points
Ghost = 2000 points
Scorpion =15,000 points (might be OP tho, so it makes sense if it gets scratched)
falcon/whaterver new -Yoink- unsc air vehicle they have = 12,000 points
Chopper = 3,500 points

And lastly, after each set the enemies health increases by 10%, and you should really include leaderboards 343i so the people who make it far will get recognized. and very very lastly this should be a variant of firefight, and the original firefight will still be there.

Anyway what do you guys think?

discuss…

I would kinda like a hybrid of FF and Invasion. I like the idea of different areas to try and overtake. I like FF but sometimes it gets a little monotonous. The idea of the OP is good too. Gears is doing something very similar with Horde in Gears 3.

I love Firefight. I think it needs to be more like ODST’s Firefight. Large maps for vehicles are a must. Also give us the ability to forge Firefight maps.

Alright well we all know that many major games now are creating diffrent types of firefights. Zombies with Call of Duty, Horde Mode with Gears and so on. Now my purposal for Halo 4 firefight is why not have a little of all of it here is the run down.

To add a twist on classic firefight we have four maps that allow you to put on a mode that has a big boss at the end of each set. Thing of it being able to destroy a scarab at the end of a set or something fun like this. SO basically this is a classic firefight playlist with a boss at the end of each set to give it a new twist.

Then we have one map that is forgeable, this way we can make our own bases and chose where we want the enemies to land etc. This would compete and destroy Gears Horde 2.0 which allows you to make like a mini base. I think a full out forge mode to create your own firefight expirence would be awesome. You could make a giant building with a bunch of floors and there are generators in the middle of the building where you spawn. Well you should be able to put in zones that drops enemies off so you would put them on the roof and on the ground. Thoughts?

Finally we have one map and gametype which has to do with the flood. There is a map kinda like the second to last one on Halo 3 called the gravemind or something. Anyways you start with a pistol and the flood our come out of the walls, ground, celling etc. and you have to kill them. After every kill you gain credits and once you get so many credits you can open the next part of the map. Each part of the map has a cash in which has like a small UNSC or Covenant camp or crashed pelican that allows you to purchase 4 diffrent weapons. So one camp allows you to buy BR, Shoutguns, Snipers. Then you go to another section and it allows you to buy Needlers, Plasma pistols, etc. The better the gun the more it is, and no gun will be cheap so you can’t just go and buy the best gun real easily.
I know this is a lot like zombies, but I think Halo should try it I mean its the only thing I like in COD, and a lot of people find it fun. So why not try it one time to see if its a succes or bust I mean its only one map.

hey also a new cash in or however you want to say it you should be able to purchase a sentinial that attacks the flood, until it is destroyed.

Thoughts…

So I’m watching the new episode of Red Vs Blue and it hits me that this would be an awesome gametype/firefight gametype for Halo 4. Put 4 players on a map, the objective being to retrive, destroy or maybe save someone. If the enemy sees you and sounds the alarm you will face and endless spawn of enemies. I love firefight but the teamwork is rarely there, with objectives to complete this might force you to work together. And hopefully you will get the feeling of being cought in enemy territory with no escape.

Now that I think of it, this is kind of the gametype from Splinter Cell conviction.

Anyway, watch the episode over at RedvsBlue.com and tell me what you think. http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rvb

> So I’m watching the new episode of Red Vs Blue and it hits me that this would be an awesome gametype/firefight gametype for Halo 4. Put 4 players on a map, the objective being to retrive, destroy or maybe save someone. If the enemy sees you and sounds the alarm you will face and endless spawn of enemies. I love firefight but the teamwork is rarely there, with objectives to complete this might force you to work together. And hopefully you will get the feeling of being cought in enemy territory with no escape.
>
> Now that I think of it, this is kind of the gametype from Splinter Cell conviction.
>
> Anyway, watch the episode over at RedvsBlue.com and tell me what you think. http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rvb

Actually thats a really good idea, the only problem is making a map large enough for something like that, it would have to be the size of an invasion map and then to make sure you do get firefight when you reach the guy the enemies find out, also the guy only moves back so far after each round so it would take a whole wave to get him to the rally point.

I hope they take a few cues from Horde 2.0 in Gears 3.

It looks awesome.

And for the Splinter Cell thing, I’d say that’d be better as its own game mode from Firefight. Think Spec Ops from Modern Warfare.

> I hope they take a few cues from Horde 2.0 in Gears 3.
>
> It looks awesome.
>
> And for the Splinter Cell thing, I’d say that’d be better as its own game mode from Firefight. Think Spec Ops from Modern Warfare.

yeah, but I was never a big fan of Horde or gears to be honest