Halo 4 customization option for individual weapon stats?

CAUTION: Long read ahead.

Halo Reach had many customization options, sometimes it seems like there is too much or too little depending on what you need to get done. While on vacation at Orlando this week I thought of a crazy customization option that could be included. The following option would most likely be hard to implement which is why I bring this up a year and a half before release, here it goes:

Individual weapons statistics: It would go something like this Game Settings Weapons/Damage Weapon statistics.

The options that I can currently think of are: Damage, Rate of Fire, Mag size, recoil modifier (NOT BLOOM), Reticle shape, splash effect radius, Grenade detonation timers, tracer options, zoom effect (could be included on any gun make a ODST SMG with a 2x zoom or give the BR that 10x you’ve always wanted), and headshot capability (can also be included on any gun, you could make the AR a headshot weapon and etc).

Now all of these options aren’t necessary (like tracers for example), however these options could make a huge difference for the game, if implemented correctly they could even make balancing the games sandbox as easy as tying your shoes. You might think that this isn’t really a idea that is needed, but hear me out. Here are a few ways you can think about it:

Halo 4 comes out, but you’re a little disappointed, the game’s balance isn’t how you had hoped. Well set up a custom game and modify each certain weapon yourself, modify the AR, Magnum, Sniper, and etc. to how you believe the game should be. If a lot of people want the sandbox’s balance to change, it’s as easy as 343i changing the settings of each individual weapon for multiplayer in a game type, and making a small update to automatically set the GT to multiplayer, and it wasn’t difficult at all.

Let’s say you get bored of Halo 4 MM, you want to relive the days of Halo CE, with these options you could! Go to the game settings, make the pistol a 3sk, give the AR a SMG reticle and change its mag count to 60, increase grenade detonation time, and etc. Change the options around enough and you could have Halo CE in Halo 4! Imagine the possibilities! 343 could even implement these ideas into a GT and have the ultimate classic playlist!

I’d imagine that the options would look like this:
Magnum
Damage: [---------0—] [DPS] (damage per second displayed here)
RoF: [----0----------] [2 shots per second] (Bullets shot per second displayed here.
Mag count: 12 […] (you get the point)
etc.

As I said in the beginning, individual weapon statistics would be hard to implement. However they could make cleaning, fixing, and updating the game much easier. It also opens up multitudes of options for custom games, this is why I suggest this option a year and a half before the game comes out. This way there is time to implement it and make it perfect.

Other options that would be nice to include:
1)Ability to lower weapon in MM by pressing the D-pad down (Same as Halo 2’s). Weapon instantly raised when you: fire, melee or zoom. This would make many other things easier, would NOT affect gameplay.
2) Ability for Spartans to SWIM if they go under water (could make interesting Forge maps, and add new depth to the game).

Mainly guys I want feedback on the first option I listed, the ability to change individual weapons statistics. Is this a good idea? Can it possibly become implemented? If there are any other options for the guns that I didn’t mention than tell me those and I might update the post.

Thanks
SuRroundeD By 1

As much as I would absolutely love that; it would probably never happen. Good idea, though.

> As much as I would absolutely love that; it would probably never happen. Good idea, though.

Thats why I brought it up now, see how people react and maybe put this on the official Halo discussion thread.

i have posted another thread on my question but it would be nice if someone could answer me - why do you think 343 wont add weapon modifiers ?

> i have posted another thread on my question but it would be nice if someone could answer me - why do you think 343 wont add weapon modifiers ?

I am not saying that they wont, but it would be difficult to do. Were talking about changing how individual guns work, not just a simple damage modifier. I could change the entire sandbox with this system if I wanted, but it would do more good than harm.

> I am not saying that they wont, but it would be difficult to do. Were talking about changing how individual guns work, not just a simple damage modifier. I could change the entire sandbox with this system if I wanted, but it would do more good than harm.

I didnt say that u were saying that they wont - I just want to know if there might be some ‘reason’ as to why they wont. or ‘why’ wouldnt game producers let the user have sandbox control for their custom games …? Thanks for replying to my earlier post.

> I am not saying that they wont, but it would be difficult to do. Were talking about changing how individual guns work, not just a simple damage modifier. I could change the entire sandbox with this system if I wanted, but it would do more good than harm.

I didnt say that u were saying that they wont - I just want to know if there might be some ‘reason’ as to why they wont. or ‘why’ wouldnt game producers let the user have sandbox control for their custom games …? Thanks for replying to my earlier post.

This is a must have feature for Halo 4.

Reach would have been 10x better if it would have got this feature.

> > I am not saying that they wont, but it would be difficult to do. Were talking about changing how individual guns work, not just a simple damage modifier. I could change the entire sandbox with this system if I wanted, but it would do more good than harm.
>
> I didnt say that u were saying that they wont - I just want to know if there might be some ‘reason’ as to why they wont. or ‘why’ wouldnt game producers let the user have sandbox control for their custom games …? Thanks for replying to my earlier post.

Okay, okay. I understand where your coming from now, I misread your first post. Forgive me though as I wrote that at around 4 AM and I had been up for around 22 hours.

I for one would be outraged, if 343i could promote this feature in game, it would make balancing EVERYTHING just so much simpler. The only reason I believe that 343 might not include this feature is because it is most likely difficult to include, being able to change how a weapon works whenever, or even to let the players have control is very difficult.

They might not be able to include the feature to answer your question. It might just be out of their power, but I have hope for 343, they also made Halo’s CE and 2 with Bungie, so I have full confidence that they will make a good game.

> This is a must have feature for Halo 4.
>
> Reach would have been 10x better if it would have got this feature.

100% agreed

This is it, no one else has anything to say about this?

I’m not really a fan of weapon modification. It would be a useful feature for custom games, but having the ability to modify weapon-functions for MM would ruin it.

Well done at explaining it though. I’ve seen threads like this a few times and they’re usually just “HAY WE SHUD B ABEL TOO CHOSE HOW STRONG A OUR GUNS IS!!1!11”

> I’m not really a fan of weapon modification. It would be a useful feature for custom games, but having the ability to modify weapon-functions for MM would ruin it.
>
> Well done at explaining it though. I’ve seen threads like this a few times and they’re usually just “HAY WE SHUD B ABEL TOO CHOSE HOW STRONG A OUR GUNS IS!!1!11”

The thing is though we can’t control how the weapons work for matchmaking, only in our customs. 343i will be the ones at the helm when it comes to weapon stats in MM, but with these options they can much more easily fix the games sandbox without a huge update to fix the weapon.

For example in Reach’s classic playlist people feel that the NR or the magnum have the right kill times, they feel right. However the AR kills a little too quickly in that GT (some people will argue). The easy fix would be for 343 to take the AR’s Damage stat and take it down a lvl, then update the GT used for the classic playlist. They didn’t need to change how the AR works at its core or how the AR works in the entire game, just on that GT, so its quick, simple, easy and it disturbed nothing but the Classic Playlist.

Oh and thanks, I take pride in how much detail I can get into when its 3 AM :wink:

> This is a must have feature for Halo 4.
>
> Reach would have been 10x better if it would have got this feature.

> > This is a must have feature for Halo 4.
> >
> > Reach would have been 10x better if it would have got this feature.

Agreed again.

theres another thread for this, but ABSOLUTELY.

damage / weapon stats modifiers should absolutely be in halo 4, without question. this is one of the most important things 343 could do to ENSURE that halo 4 is a WILD SUCCESS, second to MAYBE hitscan.

priority list:
-make the game hitscan
-damage / weapon modifiers
-awesome forge
-good core game mechanics

and POOF! the game is amazing, regardless of anything else.

> theres another thread for this, but ABSOLUTELY.
>
> damage / weapon stats modifiers should absolutely be in halo 4, without question. this is one of the most important things 343 could do to ENSURE that halo 4 is a WILD SUCCESS, second to MAYBE hitscan.
>
> priority list:
> -make the game hitscan
> -damage / weapon modifiers
> -awesome forge
> -good core game mechanics
>
> and POOF! the game is amazing, regardless of anything else.

Kinda sad that I was beat to the point on this topic but I’m glad you agree. This feature would give Halo the push it needs to get the population it had back in Halo 2. Make MM act the way that the true fans want it to play and make it so anyone can play the way they want to in customs.

How about adding weapon skins like in Gears of War 3? Make unique ones for the guns you start off with for each weapon start scenario (DMR/BR and pistol, then AR and pistol). Still, keep the weapons on map the same. This may not be original, but adds to the large amount of customization Halo already has.

> How about adding weapon skins like in Gears of War 3? Make unique ones for the guns you start off with for each weapon start scenario (DMR/BR and pistol, then AR and pistol). Still, keep the weapons on map the same. This may not be original, but adds to the large amount of customization Halo already has.

This could be an option given to us. It doesn’t effect gameplay, and it gives us something to spend cR on assuming cR is still in H4. However customizable skins is not on the top of my list.

Crossing fingers though.

I love this. This must be implemented in H4. The work required to make this possible would be worth it in the end. The only problem I can see right now is User-Friendliness.