Halo 4 - Cortana's Rampancy?

In Halo Legends, it was (greatly) implied that Cortana is rampant, as it was briefly implied in Halo CE and Halo 3.

Could Cortana be rampant in Halo 4?

I think it’s rather unlikely - I mean, she looked okay in the trailer (and had a different hair style . . . hmm), but what say you?

Cortana only started going rampant in Halo 3, She may be on the verge of a complete breakdown at the start of Halo 4 depending on the time frame but I believe that (assuming 343i pay homage to set canon) we will witness her death in Halo 4.

> Cortana only started going rampant in Halo 3, She may be on the verge of a complete breakdown at the start of Halo 4 depending on the time frame but I believe that (assuming 343i pay homage to set canon) we will witness her death in Halo 4.

I have this terrible, nagging suspicion that you’re right . . . But who will be the Chief’s travel buddy for Halo 5 and 6? Besides, if does die, I. Will. Cry.

I believe cortana is a unique AI and that she has a lot longer life than other human AIs. She might show some ramapancy but I think it’s a cooping mechanism to stave off full rampancy. The forerunner AIs are capable of long lives with some visible rampancy, I think this applies to cortana since she downloaded so much forerunner data.

> In Halo Legends, it was (greatly) implied that Cortana is rampant, as it was briefly implied in Halo CE and Halo 3.
>
> Could Cortana be rampant in Halo 4?
>
> I think it’s rather unlikely - I mean, she looked okay in the trailer (and had a different hair style . . . hmm), but what say you?

can u tell me how her rampacy was implied in CE and 3…i dont want to be mean, but i think i missed those parts in the game, so please tell me?

> > In Halo Legends, it was (greatly) implied that Cortana is rampant, as it was briefly implied in Halo CE and Halo 3.
> >
> > Could Cortana be rampant in Halo 4?
> >
> > I think it’s rather unlikely - I mean, she looked okay in the trailer (and had a different hair style . . . hmm), but what say you?
>
> can u tell me how her rampacy was implied in CE and 3…i dont want to be mean, but i think i missed those parts in the game, so please tell me?

Haha yeah me to… And why would they hint at her rampancy in H1 and H3 but not H2? The only thing that really hinted at rampancy in Halo 3 was the fact that she was in the clutches of the gravemind. He was violating her so to say. After cheif got her back she seemed to be ok. Besides the fact that she was a bit panicky that the ark was gonna asplode before they got off of it.

I don’t get it. How did they hint that she was headed toward Rampancy, she seemed normal through the whole trilogy except when the Gravemind had her. And wasn’t Cortana a special AI. She wasn’t an odinary smart AI.

Isnt she just a scan of halsey’s brain meaning that she can live as long as a human? (80 years) Also, since she is a scan, im guessing when she acts like she is going rampant it is her just acting like a human, I mean humans left alone with a physio for a while might go a little crazy. Also there are things like stress.

> Isnt she just a scan of hasely’s brain meaning that she can live as long as a human? (80 years) Also, since she is a scan, im guessing when she acts like she is going rampant it is her just acting like a human, I mean humans left alone with a physio for a while might go a little crazy. Also there are things like stress.

Yep i agree, rampancy is when a AI gathers so much info that they start to question there place in the real world and can become lost in there own mind also some start to think of themselves as god like beings and must be shutdown/killed. Cortana was made from a clone of doctor Halsey’s brain, and i belive this will not only extend her life but, it will change her and make her become more human and less machine. How? you ask, i think she will have info overload like most other AI’s only instead of making her crazy, it will just slow her down to human speed.

I think the chances are pretty good that Cortana either already is suffering rampancy, or extremely close to becoming rampant. Just a few facts:

• Estimated lifespan of a smart AI like Cortana is seven years.

• Cortana has been put into service on November 7th, 2549, and she became stranded in space along with the Master Chief in November 2552. So, at that point she’s only three years old. However, Frank O’Conner stated that they’ve been stranded in space “a considerable time”, which - at least for me - means at least a couple of years. So, let’s go with that and say that Cortana’s five years old by now.

• Rampancy can already occur at an earlier phase during an AI’s life. Among the things that accelerate rampancy are being isolated, having too much time to think without any tasks to complete, and being damaged. All that applies to Cortana. She was isolated and basically imprisoned by the Gravemind, and I think it’s safe to assume that this damaged her in one way or another (just remember her state when MC finally found her in H3), she’s again isolated while being stranded and has nothing to do but think, and she definitely was “damaged” (at least it somewhat diminished her performance) by absorbing enormous amounts of information while being inside installation 04’s systems during H:CE.

So if I had to bet on whether or not Cortana’s becoming rampant during the new trilogy (doesn’t necessarily have to be in H4), I’d place my money on a clear “yes”.

I could see Cortana having to be “put down” and Mendicant Bias basically being his new buddy to repent for his sins.
Or if the symbol in Cortana’s eye means anything in Origins maybe MB will “absorb” Cortana so that she doesn’t have to die, thus merging the two together.

> I don’t get it. How did they hint that she was headed toward Rampancy, she seemed normal through the whole trilogy except when the Gravemind had her. And wasn’t Cortana a special AI. She wasn’t an odinary smart AI.

No; she spent all that time in Installation 04’s mainframe in Halo 1, just gathering data. It made her VISIBLY slower, and keeping all the information stored was dangerous for her. Then in First Strike, she split herself into pieces, which can be very detrimental to an AI. Then obviously Gravemind caught her in Halo 2, making her seem like she was going rampant for all of Halo 3, culminating in the level named after her. Then, don’t tell you didn’t notice how after Chief retrieved her she didn’t seem 100% fine. She wasn’t as cheerful, she was a bit more panicky, she talked less, and she genuinely wanted to get off High Charity, and then Installation 04B, rather than being focused on the mission at hand.

She most certainly seemed to be going through a rut throughout the trilogy to me, and I’m curious to see the continuity of that in Halo 4. I just hope she gets through it. Cortana is a very essential character to me.

> > Cortana only started going rampant in Halo 3, She may be on the verge of a complete breakdown at the start of Halo 4 depending on the time frame but I believe that (assuming 343i pay homage to set canon) we will witness her death in Halo 4.
>
> I have this terrible, nagging suspicion that you’re right . . . But who will be the Chief’s travel buddy for Halo 5 and 6? Besides, if does die, I. Will. Cry.

The Arbiter could be Chief’s travel buddy.

I think that Cortana’s always been crazy, but she somehow keeps her craziness in check, I have a feeling that she will find a way to overcome rampancy.

> I think that Cortana’s always been crazy, but she somehow keeps her craziness in check, I have a feeling that she will find a way to overcome rampancy.

I hope that, too. After all, the final stage of rampancy is called the “stable state” at which an AI basically overcame its rampancy. The Ai still is rampant by definition and more or less different than before its rampancy, but as “stable state” suggests, the AI can now perform bascially as well as before its rampancy.

Besides, I’d hate to lose Cortana. She’s an essential character for Halo.

> > I think that Cortana’s always been crazy, but she somehow keeps her craziness in check, I have a feeling that she will find a way to overcome rampancy.
>
> I hope that, too. After all, the final stage of rampancy is called the “stable state” at which an AI basically overcame its rampancy. The Ai still is rampant by definition and more or less different than before its rampancy, but as “stable state” suggests, the AI can now perform bascially as well as before its rampancy.
>
> Besides, I’d hate to lose Cortana. She’s an essential character for Halo.

You know, I think it’s Chief that actually keeps her stable, remember how bat–Yoink- crazy she went in Halo 3 when she was captured by Gravemind, but the second that Chief came in and talked to her face to face it was like she instantly snapped out of it. As long as they stick together I think they’ll both be fine.

Now that you mention it, Master Chief really seems to have a calming and “stabilizing” effect on Cortana.

For those who were (rightly) questioning Cortana’s rampancy in Halo CE, it was when the Chief put her in the control panel of the control room. (She was flashing green and stuff.) It wasn’t very well pointed out in the game, but if you’ve read Halo: The Flood and Halo: First Strike, I believe Cortana herself fears she may go rampant and takes multiple steps to ‘cure’ it.

Also, I don’t want to sound mean, but whoever suggested that Mendicant Bias would somehow assist the Chief, and/or the Arbiter would be his traveling buddy . . . You clearly don’t know who Mendicant Bias is. I would suggest finding the Terminals on Halo 3. The Arbiter’s gone, by the way. Back home.

Se does have over 100,000 years of forerunner data to process so that probably slowed a good amount. I think what would do it is when she decides to ask John out for a date. John would be like “um know your just my friend and your not real”, then she’ll lose it. Then through out the new trilogy she’ll be stalking you lol. It would end with her finding a way with forerunner tec to make a realistic android body for her then John would be like “bump it, works for me”. Hot coffee, The End.

Krillin did it.

I think we’ll see the storyline flirt with her possible rampancy but in the end she’ll be ok.