Halo 4:Chief's Armor Change

MC’s new armor looks cool and in the real world would function better, BUT how did it change in Cryo sleep, in deep space, and no macanics around?

Nanobots

> Nanobots

apparently a combination of nanotech and artistic liberties

But the thing on my mind is…if the nanobots are able to alter his look and fix his previous damages…why is that massive scratch still on his right breastplate?

I see these topics and wonder who the hell cares.

Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.

> I see these topics and wonder who the hell cares.

It isn’t nanobots. Stop saying it is. If it was, then he wouldn’t have that gash.

It’s simply artistic liberties.

> Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.

I said the exact same thing in a older-but-identical thread.

except more use of the words ‘people who are too butthurt and need a reason for every little change’

> Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.

Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.

> > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
>
> Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.

Not mentioned in any of the previous games or books up until Glasslands and all of sudden chief has them?

There’s a word for that. It’s called ‘cop out’

> > > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
> >
> > Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.
>
> Not mentioned in any of the previous games or books up until Glasslands and all of sudden chief has them?

There was never a reason to use them in any other story but they were mentioned in Glasslands. If you want a possible example, how about the Chief reaching out and interfacing with computers using simple touch? In Halo 2 he would just reach out and touch something and Cortana would transfer to it through his glove.

Its just artistic differences, the same with every model in the game. Have you seen the Jackals yet?

343 is a new company, and thus have the rights to change the art as they see fit. Nanobots wouldn’t alter his armor than much, not even in 4 years. They simply repair the armor, not change everything from the neck down. It also wouldn’t explain the changes in all of the enemies and cortana.

> > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
>
> Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.

So it went completely unmentioned before, yet somehow appeared in the FUD’s cryo chambers after being in the middle of nowhere for 5 years?

Yeah, I’m going with my reasoning. It was never mentioned before because it didn’t need to exist, and it didn’t exist.

We may as well say the reason halos graphics got better over the last 10 years was because nanobots.

They say nanobots because it’s semi-believable. Yet their reasoning at that point is completely secondary to the real reason.

Nanobots really are the explanation, and they’re an okay one. But I hope that everyone here understands that 343 made the choice to change Chief and retroactively invented an explanation. The real reason is they wanted to make Chief look different and new.

If that bothers you, I invite you to acquire my philosophy about retcons. Namely, if something had no effect on anything, it can be retconned because nothing else changes. For instance, Chief’s MJOLNIR’s appearance is mutable because the appearance itself wouldn’t affect the plot. So whether or not they gave us a story explanation, I would’ve been fine with the change. But I’m also biased in favour of it because I like this a whole lot better than the Halo 2 and Halo 3 look.

> > > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
> >
> > Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.
>
> So it went completely unmentioned before, yet somehow appeared in the FUD’s cryo chambers after being in the middle of nowhere for 5 years?
>
> Yeah, I’m going with my reasoning. It was never mentioned before because it didn’t need to exist, and it didn’t exist.
>
> We may as well say the reason halos graphics got better over the last 10 years was because nanobots.

They could have made an appearance in Halo 2 during all the times the Master Chief reached out and touched a piece of machinery and Cortana transferred to it. He didn’t pull a chip out and insert it, he just reach out and touched it.

The Nanobots in Halo Glasslands were said to repair armor while in Cryo. We have seen the Chief in Cryo TWICE. Once when he wakes up in Evolved and at the end of 3.

> > > > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
> > >
> > > Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.
> >
> > Not mentioned in any of the previous games or books up until Glasslands and all of sudden chief has them?
>
> There was never a reason to use them in any other story but they were mentioned in Glasslands. If you want a possible example, how about the Chief reaching out and interfacing with computers using simple touch? In Halo 2 he would just reach out and touch something and Cortana would transfer to it through his glove.

That’s not necessarily true, for example, wireless streaming explains his ability to allow cortana to host through other PC’s and such with no connection. But there’s canon behind that. He recieved the Mk. VI in Halo 2, which has been upgraded to do so. In H4 he’s still wearing Mk. VI so why is he mentioned to have nanobots now? And there’s been no real use for them so far? That’s not accurate. Nanobots are described as swarms of microscopic robots capable of performing extradorinary things. In most lore they are either used for bioloical advancement or fixing machinery (this includes suits). So I must ask you again, if nanobots can change his appearance , then why is that gash still there?

Not to mention in all halo books up to glasslands, the Mk. VI and lesser models are said to run on purely microfusion and other chemical-based fuel for the coolant layers. In all the specs for the suits, nanobots have never been mentioned.

> > > > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
> > >
> > > Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.
> >
> > So it went completely unmentioned before, yet somehow appeared in the FUD’s cryo chambers after being in the middle of nowhere for 5 years?
> >
> > Yeah, I’m going with my reasoning. It was never mentioned before because it didn’t need to exist, and it didn’t exist.
> >
> > We may as well say the reason halos graphics got better over the last 10 years was because nanobots.
>
> They could have made an appearance in Halo 2 during all the times the Master Chief reached out and touched a piece of machinery and Cortana transferred to it. He didn’t pull a chip out and insert it, he just reach out and touched it.
>
> The Nanobots in Halo Glasslands were said to repair armor while in Cryo. We have seen the Chief in Cryo TWICE. Once when he wakes up in Evolved and at the end of 3.

It said they were in MK VII, not MK VI.

As said before, nanobots is a retroactive explanation. I doubt 343 would have cared if they didn’t have such a cop out of an explanation to explain the change; it really doesn’t matter to them in light of the real reason: because they wanted to.

> apparently a combination of nanotech and artistic liberties
>
> But the thing on my mind is…if the nanobots are able to alter his look and fix his previous damages…why is that massive scratch still on his right breastplate?

That gash has gotten worse and worse…

> > > > > Nanotech is just their cop out to appease people who can’t accept the real reason: artistic liberties.
> > > >
> > > > Or it’s a new technology added to the UNSC arsenal of futuristic hardware.
> > >
> > > So it went completely unmentioned before, yet somehow appeared in the FUD’s cryo chambers after being in the middle of nowhere for 5 years?
> > >
> > > Yeah, I’m going with my reasoning. It was never mentioned before because it didn’t need to exist, and it didn’t exist.
> > >
> > > We may as well say the reason halos graphics got better over the last 10 years was because nanobots.
> >
> > They could have made an appearance in Halo 2 during all the times the Master Chief reached out and touched a piece of machinery and Cortana transferred to it. He didn’t pull a chip out and insert it, he just reach out and touched it.
> >
> > The Nanobots in Halo Glasslands were said to repair armor while in Cryo. We have seen the Chief in Cryo TWICE. Once when he wakes up in Evolved and at the end of 3.
>
> <mark>It said they were in MK VII, not MK VI.</mark>
>
> As said before, nanobots is a retroactive explanation. I doubt 343 would have cared if there was they couldn’t have used it to explain the change; it really doesn’t matter to them in light of the real reason: because they wanted to.

Naomi was wearing Mark VII armor only 4 months after the Master Chief received his Mark VI. They would have been developed relatively close to each other so there is no huge technological breakthrough period between them.