HALO 4 BOSS FIGHTS

One thing I would like to see come back to halo is boss fights like in “HALO 2” it would be cool to fight colossal sized opponents other then the boring hunter, I mean they showed off a mecha in the first look vidoc we could hop in a mecha a few times in the campaign or in the new spartan ops mode and have a colossal boss fight.

I don’t mind once there’s not too many in the game…

Wtf is a Mecha? You mean the Cyclops?

Boss fights? Maybe if they are like Halo 2. Like fighting the Heretic leader, or Regret. I wouldn’t mind.

> Wtf is a Mecha? You mean the Cyclops?

No not the cyclops the new mecha they showed on the map “WarHouse” in the first look vidoc that thing a little big to be a cyclops don’t you think.

Guess it would be cool. Although I want it to be varied. I hate boss fights where you have to do something several times before they die.

> Guess it would be cool. Although I want it to be varied. I hate boss fights where you have to do something several times before they die.

Then you would really hate Arkham City…as long as there arn’t almost impossible to kill people.

> > Wtf is a Mecha? You mean the Cyclops?
>
> No not the cyclops the new mecha they showed on the map “WarHouse” in the first look vidoc that thing a little big to be a cyclops don’t you think.

It’s the Cyclops Mk.II.

No thanks.

I’m actually super down.

As long as they require a bit of thinking and skill. The Tartarus fight is a bad example of a good boos fight.

No. Fighting a covenant leader, or a leader of this unknown threat then sure, but not set up like a boss fight.

Metroid Prime did FPS boss fights right. Controls to superior to Halo’s IMO much more fun to use.

If we can see that again, i would be amazed. Though some would rather not have boss fights as in past Halo games they were lacking/felt forced.

Tartarus was a pain without glitches and tricks.

Boss fights are great! I loved them in Halo 2. I thought that not having to fight Gravemind at the end of the Halo 3 level The Covenant was a huge missed opportunity.

> > Wtf is a Mecha? You mean the Cyclops?
>
> No not the cyclops the new mecha they showed on the map “WarHouse” in the first look vidoc that thing a little big to be a cyclops don’t you think.

they confirmed its a Cyclops II

The best boss fights in Halo are lots of standard Elite-esque enemies:

-T&R boarding battle (Zealots!)
-pyramid ground battle of Two Betrayals (1 Zealot leader)
-last few ground battles of Two Betrayals (so many Elites!! 4 Zealots <3<3)
-Cairo Station hangars
-Cairo Station bomb room
-Gravemind Mausoleum battle

What I would give to have battles like those in H4.

Reach had numbers but the severity of combat forced players to either run past them or glitch. I don’t play Halo to beat a level. I play Halo to repeatedly play out battles.

begin rant

Of course, H3 did the most disservice.

I was expecting Truth to be guarded by honor guard Brutes with new, usable weapons or even War Chieftains but instead we get a bunch of Brutes, several pairs of fuel rod Grunts, hammer Chieftain and his bodyguards, Jump Pack Brutes, and a standard troop. What a disappointment! Those 2 Scarab battles really hyped up the confrontation with Truth’s forces… I blew up 2 huge monster vehicles just to be treated to a warm up session?! WTF. It’s bad enough that the Flood are helping out but Arby is also made invincible (he gets knocked off the bridge frequently) and easy to set upon the Covies.

And even fighting the battle with Arbiter clones isn’t that satisfying since there’s barely any customization. The best one can do is get more Flood combat forms made for the escaping part.

Of course, the escaping part excluded any interaction with Gravemind other than a cutscene… cutscenes stealing the glory of a battle or potential immersive experience. I hated first person cutscenes in ODST and Reach and I’d hate H3 even more if they were in it. Instead, we get treated to Gravemind and Cortana moments, which do not help immersion at all!

And the end of the level was the worst part. A huge exploration potential… wasted. Landing down the chute then seeing Cortana which invites you to follow her and we get a glimpse at Installation 04 II and we have time to swallow it in. Instead, it’s a CUTSCENE and we’re deprived of a breathtaking moment. Man what a disappointment The Covenant was!

Lots of the battles in H3 are just too small or easy to exploit. That battle at the end of The Ark can easily be beaten with the help of 2 glitches (1 that kills the Chieftain before he can even leave the room and 1 that allows you to get down to the battle area without dying), a Chopper, a rocket launcher marine, an invincible Arbiter (using the Chopper to block his path, a fuel rod gun to destroy the Phantom, and a plasma pistol overcharge to bring down the Banshee at the right time so he lands where you were after the cutscene), 3 auto-turrets, several cloaking + firebombs, and an invincibility + hammer.

It’s quite amusing to wipe out the enemies like this (I didn’t even have to step outside to see the Jump Pack Brutes die) and though it would be phenomenal to put most of these to good use in a single segment run, where’s the challenge?

Then there was the last level. I’m not going to elaborate on it but the Guilty Spark battle… it’s just sad. Excessive scripting, would have been Reach’s precursor if Reach had a boss battle…

end rant

H2 boss battles may not have been done too well (damage sponges) but I enjoyed finding unique exploits and doing them on the hardest difficulty (pwning the Heretic boss on Legendary with all skulls on by hiding under a ramp and using stickies) and new ways of fighting them (blocking Regret’s supporting troops with scenery items so I can have a safe area to return to without worrying about being chased by sword Elites).

The Tartarus battle is especially customizable: Spectres, a Wraith, Banshees, Ghosts, an army of Elites, an army of Johnsons, Rtas Vadum, Keyes, 4 Hunters, 2 marines.

Such a huge party and I didn’t feel like I missed anything during the cutscene. I got to enjoy most of the action. I got to kill Tartarus!! No deprivation by cutscenes!

TLDR (but I recommend reading because it’s insightful):

Boss battles:

-should be immersive. It’s possible for a battle to be unrealistic yet still immersive. The real problems that break immersion are stuff like draw distance, first person transition to third person, passive enemies, etc.

-should not limit the player to a particular means of killing (i.e. boarding Regret): The 343 Guilty Spark battle originally made it so that you could damage Spark with the rocket launcher and fuel rod gun. Guess what? The TU killed that.

-should not kill off AI: one major disappointment with the Tartarus battle has to be how the death barrier is set so high. Elites crouch when they land, they die. It’s just sad. Hunters are the only ones exempt from this and guess what? They go right up the grav lift. What a horrible way to dispose of AI that land below. This is the predecessor of the Sierra 117 rocket Pelican in some ways.

-should not be absurd: teleporting in areas that are not set at high places (I can understand why Tartarus must be teleported) should be explainable.

-should provide allied support because the mini-battles (Elites vs. Brutes) make it so that you can’t just kill the boss asap. You like to sit there and watch and even help out before engaging the boss himself

-Yoink- boss battles. Give me large scale battles with lots of enemies and allies mixed with many types of vehicles any day over some lame -Yoink- super sized enemy. Picture the opening cutscene in Tip of the Spear, but we’d actually be participating in it as opposed to just seeing it in the background. That’s what I’d want.

A good old bullet sponge that you’ll have to waste a ton of ammo to kill?
Or the new “RPG” type of enemy, with glowy spots that you’ll have to shoot before he can be killed?
Maybe even “old school” boss where you have to fight the boss in different stages of “evolution” where he gets new and more massive attacks the closer he is to death?
Hack, I agree with you OP. I would love an old, big and bad enemy that takes time and effort to kill, like a super hunter on steroids!
The Earth Defence Force series always had great boss battles, and it always felt good when you managed to defeat one. I rather have one strong boss, then 1 000 grunts ^^

> > > Wtf is a Mecha? You mean the Cyclops?
> >
> > No not the cyclops the new mecha they showed on the map “WarHouse” in the first look vidoc that thing a little big to be a cyclops don’t you think.
>
> they confirmed its a Cyclops II

Cool didn’t know.

> -Yoink!- boss battles. Give me large scale battles with lots of enemies and allies mixed with many types of vehicles any day over some lame -Yoink!- super sized enemy. Picture the opening cutscene in Tip of the Spear, but we’d actually be participating in it as opposed to just seeing it in the background. That’s what I’d want.

Don’t think the Xbox 360 could render that many AI at once.

One of things that stood out for me about Halo CE was the lack of a boss fight. I found that very refreshing. The race to blow the ship’s core and escape was epic. Boss fights in Halo seem out of place. Epic escapes or epic battles that’s more Halo for me. But hey I still want to drive that mecha also, so if a boss fight is how that happens so be it.