Halo 4 - Beta Planned?

I read an article on IGN that stated that Microsoft had denied that a public beta was planned for Halo 4.

They had this to say on the matter:

“We plan to test both gameplay and code features rigorously and at a meaningful scale throughout the course of 2012 to ensure a great experience at launch, but we have no plans for a public multiplayer beta for Halo 4.”

We, the “Public” are the ones who have to buy the game, shouldn’t we be allowed some insight into the game pre-launch to determine and “ensure” that the game will be great a experience?

Please provide your opinion on the matter.

With enough internal testing, public Betas aren’t necessary. It’s a false expectation that multiplayer Betas are the industry standard for multiplayer titles, when in reality they aren’t nor ever was. Halo CE and Halo 2 had internal Betas, and those titles were just as successful as Halo 3 and Reach (which wasn’t as critical acclaimed as past titles), despite the latter having multiplayer Betas.

At this point in development, a multiplayer Beta for Halo 4 would be more of hassle than beneficial. Not to mention this community provides enough feedback to give 343i an idea of what we want and expect in Halo 4’s multiplayer.

I’m sure with more information being released we will have insight. They’re running they’re own private betas to ensure the quality. We don’t need a beta, as most people don’t even report bugs or glitches but instead just use it as their personal demo for the game.

The thing with public Betas is that the vast majority of people aren’t actually testing. When games release Betas, people often treat them as demos. Perhaps the odd glitch will be discovered, but usually it’s never something game-changing. Gamers aren’t actually testing, they’re just playing. There’s enough in-house testers testing general gameplay that most game-breaking glitches will be found and obliterated.

Another issue is that it actually takes time to create a build that the developer wants to put out to the public. Developers don’t just take the latest build in development and throw it out to the public, people actually have to stop to create a special build with all of the features that the developer wants to show to the public. I wouldn’t be surprised the developers will also have to do some play-testing on the Public Beta build itself just to make sure that the Beta isn’t too buggy. This whole process takes a lot of time and energy that could be spent polishing the game.

After the the Betas for Halo 3 and Reach, 343 should have a good idea of how many people will be playing the game on launch; hopefully, they won’t run into major problems like Blizzard did with Diablo III. Aside from that, there’s no real reason to have a Public Beta.

i wish there was a beta. but sadly the don’t have the time

> Halo CE and Halo 2 had internal Betas, and those titles were just as successful as Halo 3 and Reach (which wasn’t as critical acclaimed as past titles), despite the latter having multiplayer Betas.

Funny thing is that the H3 and Reach betas were a lot better than what we have now.

Trip mine, plasma launcher, plasma repeater. Fun and powerful, with minor issues. Post-beta, nerfed with little to none applications.

Also, who can forget about driving without a turret (or driving a destroyed tank), wielding the plasma cannon while in the hog, Banshees perma EMP’d. Interesting how there wasn’t any complaints about these game breaking things…

The public testing isn’t really going to happen. But there’s a reason they said “public”. They’ve already invited some MLG’s to play the game once, and they’ll probably do it again. That will probably get them enough insight from the community.

> The public testing isn’t really going to happen. But there’s a reason they said “public”. They’ve already invited some MLG’s to play the game once, and they’ll probably do it again. That will probably get them enough insight from the community.

They didn’t just invite ‘MLGs’, they are inviting a variety of different people, and down the line, they will be allowing people to hop down to Seattle to play the game and provide feedback and stuff.

> The public testing isn’t really going to happen. But there’s a reason they said “public”. They’ve already invited some MLG’s to play the game once, and they’ll probably do it again. That will probably get them enough insight from the community.

What? More MLG went to play it and not just Killa KC?

Well, what did they say about the game?

There’s not going to be a public Halo 4 BETA ever…

There will be a RELEASE.

> There’s not going to be a public Halo 4 BETA ever…
>
> There will be a RELEASE.

I can tell you didn’t read the OP…

> > The public testing isn’t really going to happen. But there’s a reason they said “public”. They’ve already invited some MLG’s to play the game once, and they’ll probably do it again. That will probably get them enough insight from the community.
>
> They didn’t just invite ‘MLGs’, they are inviting a variety of different people, and down the line, they will be allowing people to hop down to Seattle to play the game and provide feedback and stuff.

Hahahah, your signature made me laugh.

N e way, what’s going on in Seattle?

A demo would be nice.

Pretty much what Enfinit said. (=

I would very much like a Beta or at least a demo but if it doesn’t happen then I can wait.

I know why there isn’t a beta. They don’t want people to think the game is rubbish after playing a demo, so they make them buy the full game, so if they don’t like it then, 343 still get the money.

In short, they want more money.

Can you imagine the amount of Yoinking threads there would be about the good and bad points, Omgzz Just save it for a more polished final version and then they can spend all their precious time making it better instead of err… “beta”

> With enough internal testing, public Betas aren’t necessary. It’s a false expectation that multiplayer Betas are the industry standard for multiplayer titles, when in reality they aren’t nor ever was. Halo CE and Halo 2 had internal Betas, and those titles were just as successful as Halo 3 and Reach (which wasn’t as critical acclaimed as past titles), despite the latter having multiplayer Betas.
>
> At this point in development, a multiplayer Beta for Halo 4 would be more of hassle than beneficial. Not to mention this community provides enough feedback to give 343i an idea of what we want and expect in Halo 4’s multiplayer.

I understand what your saying, however, shouldn’t the public at least be given a feel for the game? In which dedicated players would be able to provide “first-hand” feedback to 343 so they can hammer out minor problems to do with gameplay, etc…

Instead of 343 trying to fix these problems post release?

a beta would be nice but i do not think there will be one

> Can you imagine the amount of Yoinking threads there would be about the good and bad points, Omgzz Just save it for a more polished final version and then they can spend all their precious time making it better instead of err… “beta”

Wouldn’t it be better for everyone if they made it as good as possible before release?