Halo 4 Becoming a Sellout Game

One thing I really liked about Bungie was that they cared more about their fans then they cared about the money. If they wanted to get even more money then they did they would’ve made it a game more akin to Call of Duty. Instead they made the game a competitive FPS very similar to Quake. This is what their fans wanted, a competitive, even, balanced game. Appealing more to the Halo fanbase kept the game populated between releases. Sure there were a few dips whenever a big game like Battlefield, CoD, or other AAA multiplayer games, but it wasn’t as huge.

I feel 343i is trying to make this game similar to what today’s market wants. This is good if you want sales, but the problem is today’s market likes class-based shooters where the person with the higher rank has better weapons and a larger edge over lower ranks. This makes the game unbalanced, and not as competitive. You just lost the hardcore Halo fans who enjoy this. What happens with “Today’s Market” is they buy a game, get an edge, and then leave for the next game. I’ve watched this happen to CoD games, where many months into the game they say it’s boring/stupid. Catering to this type of player pushes away the competitive player who wants a balanced game, and then will ultimately screw the game once these players leave for the next game. The only people left will be the ones who play the game because Halo is in the name.

I’m not saying the new ideas are all bad, but to base the entire game off it is a bad move. How about split the game in two? With regular and infinity modes, that way those who want to play infinity (Me included, it looks fun) and those who want competitive balanced multiplayer can play regular.

You’re trying to tell me that 343i doesn’t care about their fans and are only doing it for the money? Nice try :slight_smile:

343 haven’t even released their first real game, stop judging before its even out

I think that was the idea, Infinity playlists and Classic playlists.

Ofcourse they’ll try to appeal to other people, then just Halo fans now.

Yet after watching HOURS of gameplay, interviews, posts and what else i no have been doing. I came to the conclussion that as much as they care for new people, they still care the most for the Halo fans.

I believe Halo 4 (if people don’t proceed to whine their ***es off) could potentially beat Halo 3. (Oh noez, get RAAM for saying that!)

> I think that was the idea, Infinity playlists and Classic playlists.

Ya sure bungie wasn’t a sell out even though they made halo reach, mhmm they sure weren’t a sell out with that kind of game.

> I think that was the idea, Infinity playlists and Classic playlists.

Singular, please.

> Ya sure bungie wasn’t a sell out even though they made halo reach, mhmm they sure weren’t a sell out with that kind of game.

From what I remember, people actually wanted what they saw in Reach, until the final game came out. So in that case, they were appealing to their fans.

> > I think that was the idea, Infinity playlists and Classic playlists.
>
> Singular, please.

Sorry, but as Infinity playlist and Classic playlist…it just didn’t sound right.

It was always going to be about money. This is a sub division of Microsoft we’re talking about here. They couldn’t care less about anything other than their profit margin.

> > Ya sure bungie wasn’t a sell out even though they made halo reach, mhmm they sure weren’t a sell out with that kind of game.
>
> From what I remember, people actually wanted what they saw in Reach, until the final game came out. So in that case, they were appealing to their fans.

And most people want what they see in Halo 4 too. Whether that will remain the same after launch has yet to be seen.

I love how the gamers here think a company should care mostly about their fans, and then money last. If they don’t make enough money, Halo could be shut down. Would you keep an IP around if it is not making money? Which is why they try and expand their fanbase. Is that so wrong?

> It was always going to be about money. This is a sub division of Microsoft we’re talking about here. They couldn’t care less about anything other than their profit margin.

Even though 343i has disappointed me in the past, I think what you are saying is false. To imply they only care about money when they’ve released a lot of new content for those of us in the Halo Universe community. The Forerunner Saga? Fans have been clamoring for Forerunner stories for years. Kilo Five trilogy? Though I didn’t like Glasslands, it’s helping to set the stage for Halo 4. You’ve also got Legends, Evolutions, and so much more.

Yeah this will still get them money, but as far as tie ins go, they certainly aren’t cheap tie ins I’ve seen with other games.

> It was always going to be about money. This is a sub division of Microsoft we’re talking about here. They couldn’t care less about anything other than their profit margin.

You truly believe that? 343i is a wonderful company, and they are very active with their fans. Sure, the final goal is the money, but they are just as concerned with the fun of the game and the happiness of the fans.

Yes and large majority of competitive players adapted to Reach and used Armor Lock and Evade to survive and spank people to the point where purists cried mommy loud enough to get the game changed. 343 cares about all of your gripes apparently.

> Sorry, but as Infinity playlist and Classic playlist…it just didn’t sound right.

I only underlined Classic playlists , Infinity was fine.

> > Ya sure bungie wasn’t a sell out even though they made halo reach, mhmm they sure weren’t a sell out with that kind of game.
>
> From what I remember, people actually wanted what they saw in Reach, until the final game came out. So in that case, they were appealing to their fans.

343 is doing the same. Believe it or not, they are appealing to both halo fans and new.

Also, they could’ve made you pay for Spartan Ops, plz don’t play the 343 don’t care card. You’re only saying this because it has similar cod features.

When Halo starts playing exactly like Call of Duty, then maybe I’ll agree with you. However, things like Mods, individual ordinance, and custom loadouts are not exclusive to COD, nor were such things even made popular by COD.

But the thing is that the other weapons you’ll unlock WON’T be more powerful than the ones you started with. The game WON’T become unbalanced. So that’s not even a problem.