Halo 4 art direction complaint: The Marines..

Honestly, over all I’m very pleased with Halo 4 as a game.
Graphics are good, environments okay, weapons, enemies, even vehicles.

But…

One thing made go “WTF?” as the game started… the absurd changes to the human Marines uniforms.

To sum up: For me, they no longer look like they’re in a Halo game.

It looks like somebody went through the trash bins outside the studios where they create the Call of Duty and Gears of War games, instead of using the well documented history of the Halo franchise.

I understand 343 wanted to do their “own take” on Halo.

I understand they wanted to “freshen things up” a bit.

But the art design for the Halo Marines and ODST was thrown completely out the window.

The officer’s uniforms LOOK like a logical progression from the early Halo games.
I can accept them easily.

With the advances in graphics power we’ve seen amazing advances in detail from Halo CE to Halo Reach.

But somewhere along the line, somebody got too involved with trying to be “new” and forgot… what Halo looked like.

Look back 4 years at the real US military. Have the uniforms changed so much that you don’t know what branch of service the troops are in? The kevlar Helmets look basically the same. The uniform cut and body armor is basically the same. Slightly refined perhaps, with a different camouflage pattern maybe, but still recognizable as being the same military.

Reach gave us a greatly detailed Marine and ODST uniform.

I was playing with a friend last night (he just got Halo 4 after payday) and he asked me during our game, “Are those guys ODST?”

If a long term Halo player of 10 years jumps into Halo 4 AND THEY CAN’T TELL WHO THE ODST ARE… something is broken. The ODST are a mainstay of the Halo franchise. They even received their own stand alone game (which, incidentally, I loved). One of the ODST characters in the franchise has a bio that read “If he was any better he’d be a Spartan,” which suggests something special.

And yet, they’ve been marginalized as a support element in Halo 4 so that we can’t even identify them on the battlefield. Sad.

If you look at the “new” armor (I can’t bring myself to call it “Marine armor”) you see some details that are completely new.

One of my main points of contention is this: Molle webbing.

Seriously? Molle?

Okay, let me put it this way: It’s 500+ years in the future.

Mankind has mastered space travel.

We’ve created artificial intelligence that can do everything for us except take the dog for a walk.

We’ve colonized the stars and discovered technology left behind 10,000 years ago by aliens.

We have high tech magnetic systems that remove the need for us to use holsters and slings on our weapons…

…and we’ve returned to using MOLLE WEBBING on our armor?

Seriously?

I would hope 343 would take my criticism about this aspect of the art direction to heart. As a whole, I quite like the game, the story, the Spartan Ops and armor abilities expand on what I enjoyed about Halo Reach.

I just wish that the art department wasn’t rushing so fast to create their own “new” look that they forgot that which came before.

We want “our” Marines back. Even if the design is slightly updated.
The Marine helmets and armor are as distinctive as the Spartans.

We want “our” ODST back. Even if the design is slightly updated.
The ODST helmets and armor are EASILY as distinctive as the Spartans.

Please send the Modern Warfare Marines back where they came from in the 21st century. The 26th Century needs it’s heroes back.

if you pay attention, there are multiple marine uniforms in the game. the green armor looks pretty much the same as it always did, but the marines in desert camo look like they’re wearing kevlar and a captain falcon helmet. I’m not a fan of those, but the green armor looks bad–Yoink-.

I was disappointed they didn’t wear PT reflective belts. Tisk, Tisk.

I thought the marines in Halo 4 and Reach looked horrible.

> if you pay attention, there are multiple marine uniforms in the game. the green armor looks pretty much the same as it always did, but the marines in desert camo look like they’re wearing kevlar and a captain falcon helmet. I’m not a fan of those, but the green armor looks bad–Yoink!-.

> I thought the marines in Halo 4 and Reach looked horrible.

I hated the green ones the most because of the dumb ghost masks they wear, I think the marines should look like the ones from Reach, Halo 3 and the halo wars cutscenes. anyone who hated the Reach marines just doesn’t like Reach if you don’t like Reach poke fun of and critique the things that make sense, some people these days.

Anyone have a link to a picture of them? Googling ‘Halo 4 marine’ brings up Spartan IVs -.-

The Reach marines weren’t actually marines, but local troopers. It’s like the United States’ National Guard, basically. So it wasn’t the real military, because the UNSC didn’t show up until later.

There were ODST’s in Halo 4? I never saw any… but maybe that’s the point you’re making.

I honestly did not see any ODST in the game :C but the marines in those funky white helmets really throw me off, but i mist admit that the marines with the full face mask look badass

You do realize that for most of the game you are fighting alongside Army, Airforce, Navy, and Marine forces right?

Maybe those aren’t the same marines from Halo 3 because they’re from a different branch of the military.

> The Reach marines weren’t actually marines, but local troopers. It’s like the United States’ National Guard, basically. So it wasn’t the real military, because the UNSC didn’t show up until later.
>
> There were ODST’s in Halo 4? I never saw any… but maybe that’s the point you’re making.

The marines on the pelican with keys were, same with the marines on
Long Night of Solace from the UNSC Savannah.

I like them haha. Sure its a tad Ghost Recon-y, but the armor, helmets and shoulders… They’ve been saying for years that because of the cost of Mjolnir armor they’ve taken pieces of it and standardized it for troops, so it makes sense they get more gear. As for the MOLLE webbing, our feeble human minds need something familiar to latch onto in the age of plasma guns. Just making them more soldiery

I did think I heard some officer over the radio talking about ODST’s deploying to help you, and not being able to find them. Guess they were there, just looked a whole lot like Marines. I agree, there does need to be more difference between ranks/branches.

Whoa! I had no idea this game even had ODSTs until this post!

I’m a huge fan of Halo… Lore, Books, Legends, Etc… But I was looking for ODST Helmets… Are they the guys with the Skull faces?

also be quite nice to have the female marines back - something i liked about the old games was that there was no real difference between male and female ai, they were just there

forget the marines the grunts look like a tortoise with teeth!

Those white helmet marines look dumb as hell. The rest are cool. Plz dont include those generic white helmet dudes in halo 5.

Agreed. They look ridiculous and I usually kill them on sight.

> also be quite nice to have the female marines back - something i liked about the old games was that there was no real difference between male and female ai, they were just there

holly crap your right I haven’t seen a single female marine in Halo 4, bring back michelle rodriguez.

> The Reach marines weren’t actually marines, but local troopers. It’s like the United States’ National Guard, basically. So it wasn’t the real military, because the UNSC didn’t show up until later.
>
> There were ODST’s in Halo 4? I never saw any… but maybe that’s the point you’re making.

What this guy said. The guys you fought with in most of Reach (minus the ODSTs) were the Army/National Guard of the UNSC. But I also didn’t see any ODSTs in Halo 4, which is a shame because I love ODSTs. The Spartan IVs you fight with kind of have similar helmets though.

The Marines in Reach looked awful, at least in Halo 4 they look better than that. Also, where did you see ODSTs? I didn’t see them at all during the campaign.