Halo 4 Armor: Does it Effect Gameplay?

I think I read somewhere that armor customization will effect gameplay. It might have been in an interview, or maybe or video. I can’t find it now, does anyone know where I can find this? Thanks.

It was in the bulletin after “First Look”. They answered a bunch of questions.

Here’s the link for anyone who takes a look at this thread:
http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2012/03/08/The-Halo-Bulletin-30712.aspx

Cheers

Grenadier helmet : Perk - Extra slot for grenade types (Harmless)

What does everyone think this means?

“The entire multiplayer experience from soup to nuts is completely immersed in the fiction, as is the campaign,” O’Connor said. “Every single element of multiplayer, from the simplest game of Team Slayer all the way up to the more interesting experiences that we’ll talk about later this year are going to be fully immersed. <mark>Everything that you do when you’re in multiplayer will have an impact on your Spartan’s career</mark>.”

Here’s the link to the article:

Its in the 4th paragraph.

> Grenadier helmet : Perk - Extra slot for grenade types (Harmless)

I hate the idea of perks,
However if i look at that unbaised, it would work alot better with halo 3 grenades than halo reach mininukes…haha.

In the first article there is nothing that says armor will effect gameplay. However it does say:

“but as we have hinted, there will also be elements of your ability and performance as a Spartan IV that you will have some control over, that will actually impact your gameplay experience”

I hope not, maybe if the difference was barely noticable

“You will have a wide degree of control over your appearance, of course, but as we have hinted, there will also be elements of your ability and performance as a Spartan IV that you will have some control over, that will actually impact your <mark>gameplay experience</mark>…”

i think thats been overlooked and is a common misconception. i dont think it actually impacts gameplay, but how you EXPERIENCE it. i dont know if that makes too much sence, but i look at the 2 in very different ways

> > Grenadier helmet : Perk - Extra slot for grenade types (Harmless)
>
> I hate the idea of perks,
> However if i look at that unbaised, it would work alot better with halo 3 grenades than halo reach mininukes…haha.

Oh God, Reach is a nade fest, hopefully they tune frags a bit down, like H3. I try not to look at their so called “perks” in the mindset that is Call of booty (though it’s sometimes hard not to, I believe it won’t be major gameplay effecting). Hopefully 343i doesn’t go all out and add health increase and other crap like lunge melee increase.

> Grenadier helmet : Perk - Extra slot for grenade types (Harmless)

to me that sounds good

maybe like recon/scout helmet has better scope? or extra sprint

> “You will have a wide degree of control over your appearance, of course, but as we have hinted, there will also be elements of your ability and performance as a Spartan IV that you will have some control over, that will actually impact your <mark>gameplay experience</mark>…”
>
> i think thats been overlooked and is a common misconception. i dont think it actually impacts gameplay, but how you EXPERIENCE it. i dont know if that makes too much sence, but i look at the 2 in very different ways

if you notice he never said in that quote that it was the ARMOR that you can change to affect gameplay. i think that it will be kindof like a stat changer. i. e. deplete 10% speed so you can make jump height 10% higher.
or deplete 50% melee damage so you can make weapon damage 25% higher and player speed 25% higher.

make sense?

> > “You will have a wide degree of control over your appearance, of course, but as we have hinted, there will also be elements of your ability and performance as a Spartan IV that you will have some control over, that will actually impact your <mark>gameplay experience</mark>…”
> >
> > i think thats been overlooked and is a common misconception. i dont think it actually impacts gameplay, but how you EXPERIENCE it. i dont know if that makes too much sence, but i look at the 2 in very different ways
>
> if you notice he never said in that quote that it was the ARMOR that you can change to affect gameplay. i think that it will be kindof like a stat changer. i. e. deplete 10% speed so you can make jump height 10% higher.
> or deplete 50% melee damage so you can make weapon damage 25% higher and player speed 25% higher.
>
> make sense?

Sorry, but your idea is worse. At least with the armor deciding the changes, I can tell from a glance what I’m going up against. The way you described it, every person is a wild card. If we’re able to change our stats / gameplay in MP, in /anyway/, then it has to be visible to other players.

<mark>“Everything that you do when you’re in multiplayer will have an impact on your Spartan’s career.”</mark>

I kind of think this means that the game will analyze your play style using stats, and possibly give you things that would complement your style of play.

It is still too early to know for sure, but the so called ‘perks’ are said to not resemble anything we’ve seen before.

> > Grenadier helmet : Perk - Extra slot for grenade types (Harmless)
>
> to me that sounds good
>
> maybe like recon/scout helmet has better scope? or extra sprint

What if Scout ran over cloak power-up and it lasted longer than others would, or they had 4 extra sniper bullets whenever they had a sniper…

On your idea, I think a better scope would not be liked by people. Somehow, it will be significantly related to gameplay, and could render certain people with an obvious disadvantage. Idk.

This is very difficult to dicifer. 343 said they will keep the core elements of Halo. To me this means it will be a balanced MM game.

I don’t know how they will implement customizable armour, loadouts or whatever it is and still keep that balance.

They also said the ranking system would be updated but they didn’t say how. I had an idea that there would be tiers of perks (for lack of a better name), and that you would be matched up against ppl who had unlocked the same tier as you. There is a possiblity that a skill based system could work with this as well. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Unfortunately I don’t think we will hear much more about this for some time. The next update is supposed to focus on a campaign mission.

> > > “You will have a wide degree of control over your appearance, of course, but as we have hinted, there will also be elements of your ability and performance as a Spartan IV that you will have some control over, that will actually impact your <mark>gameplay experience</mark>…”
> > >
> > > i think thats been overlooked and is a common misconception. i dont think it actually impacts gameplay, but how you EXPERIENCE it. i dont know if that makes too much sence, but i look at the 2 in very different ways
> >
> > if you notice he never said in that quote that it was the ARMOR that you can change to affect gameplay. i think that it will be kindof like a stat changer. i. e. deplete 10% speed so you can make jump height 10% higher.
> > or deplete 50% melee damage so you can make weapon damage 25% higher and player speed 25% higher.
> >
> > make sense?
>
> Sorry, but your idea is worse. At least with the armor deciding the changes, I can tell from a glance what I’m going up against. The way you described it, every person is a wild card. If we’re able to change our stats / gameplay in MP, in /anyway/, then it has to be visible to other players.

yah but the point of armor is to make you spartan’s looks appeal to you. if they make it change your stats, well then you might be forced to wear a certain helmet that is really good but looks ugly.

HOWEVER, in my opinion, i think there should not be any affecting gameplay

I dislike the idea that I would no longer be able to customise my Spartan to what I want based solely on appearance… It’s just I like CQB which doesn’t really fit my gameplay style, I wouldn’t like to be a in a position that choosing what I like won’t bring any relevant advantage.

Only time will tell what playlist and what ranks - how perks and armor customizing will effect game or not
Cant wait and see what 343i has in store for us…

y r you people so afraid of change i think it would be an excellent and if you don’t like it go back and play halo 3