HALO 4: Aquatic vehicles?

I’ve always felt that HALO games (especially Reach) would have much larger scale and more fun battles if some type of aquatic vehicle was involved. I think this would be awesome actually! And with games like Battlefield 3 doing it, why not? I know HALO is a sci-fi space shooter sort of game, but there are already tanks and jeeps, and there’s plenty of water in Forge World. This would increase the strategic side of things, and introduce new things in Forge. Just think of the possibilities and how fun it would be! Tell me what you think:)

Aquatic only? No, I don’t think that’d be too helpful.
As in Battlefield 3, though, I might recommend some of the vehicles be amphibious, but water-only craft just won’t have enough access to the map. Speaking of water, it’d be nice if water had a different way of killing the players from simply making them explode when they fall in.

Personally, I think Halo 4 needs a wider variety of aircraft, as well as dropships available for multiplayer use.
What I really want(but will surely never happen) is the ability to pilot such large craft as UNSC frigates or Covenant cruisers(campaign/sandbox only, of course).

I think Forge definitely could use aquatic vehicles. Matchmaking, though, doesn’t need them. Water isn’t a big part of multiplayer maps.

Yup, I agree. Especially since they are doing fundamental changes to the game, (AA’s) and what not. They could have skipped all this and just added something like water vehicles. This would be enough for me to want to buy the new halo title.

What if ghosts could float over water like they used to do with grunts in previous games? Or if the vehicles could transform in a amphibious manner.

What would they really add?

Just a change of scenery. And too many strings come attached to that.

No cover on water, can’t freely get in a out of the vehicle, other players can invalidate your vehicle by taking their ball and going home.

Like Bravo 539 said, water-only vehicles have too limited range - few maps have water in them, and fewer still have large bodies of water. For water-only vehicles to be effective, maps would need to have huge bodies of water with more than one water vehicle on it. And also, this begs the question of dying upon hitting water - water vehicles would force a new “swimming” mechanic to be effective (what if the water vehicle got stranded in the middle of the lake?) and although I want that in Halo, I think 343 isn’t ready for that yet.

No, Amphibious vehicles would be a much better choice… although that still leaves the problem of getting to a vehicle if it has been abandoned in the middle of a lake. I guess they’ll just have to have very fast respawn times.

The new “Oceanic” armor, though, raises interesting questions. Does this suggest that water-based combat will be added in the future?

> …The new “Oceanic” armor, though, raises interesting questions. Does this suggest that water-based combat will be added in the future?

WHile I’d love to say “yes,” I think the Oceanic helmet is more akin to a Halo 4 version of an EVA helmet.

Personally, I’d LOVE to see aquatic combat. Being able to “swim” underwater and shoot at people. By swimming, you’re kind of going prone too. If someone is straight across from you, by swimming you make yourself a much smaller target (I’m talking underwater especially).

As far as what vehicles?

A Water Mongoose, Waterhog, Water Tank.

Call them what you want.

I think a “Water Moccasin” would be a cool name the the mongoose version. Waterhog seems to fit ok. As for the tank? Hmm, suggestions?

Also, it would be cool to have larger frigate in the water acting as bases.

Oh, and what about underwater craft? if not a submarine, then those small handheld propulsion jets?

Past games haven’t really had enough water to make use of them except forge world, But Halo 4 could be different and have a few maps with water in it, Like a bunch of Navy bases in a ocean that players would need to use water/flying vehicles or teleporters to go between with the ocean acting like Sandtrap/Sandbox (Can’t remember which one or if it’s both) where you get killed for going too far out of the desert (Or in this case ocean).

Imagine an island hopping map, where you would be forced to use boats to cross from island to island. Could make an epic territories map. In fact, wasn’t Bunging toying with the idea of putting in a boat when developing Reach?

As for swimming, I don’t something weighing a ton actually swimming, but instead just running on the seabed. The master chief can survive in space, so there is no reason to drown. Underwater combat could be very interesting.

> Like Bravo 539 said, water-only vehicles have too limited range - few maps have water in them, and fewer still have large bodies of water. For water-only vehicles to be effective, maps would need to have huge bodies of water with more than one water vehicle on it. And also, this begs the question of dying upon hitting water - water vehicles would force a new “swimming” mechanic to be effective (what if the water vehicle got stranded in the middle of the lake?) and although I want that in Halo, I think 343 isn’t ready for that yet.

-Yoink-, water vehicles were within our reach for Halo 3’s Longshore. The Dinghey’s there had to be sabotaged because even as physics objects they were having too much of a wonderful effect on gameplay.

“Oh no, we can’t have epic sea battles in CTF. We have to stick to the same old patterns and gameplay that every other -Yoinking!- map in every other -Yoinking!- game has featured!”

But even then I found myself playing around with little boats in forge more than actually playing the map in matchmaking because the concept for a Timesplitters-esque screwball multiplayer mechanic was sound. Even with terrible implementation (in the sense that Bungie tried to sink it in more ways than one) there was just so much there for you to have fun with. If we actually incorporated them into a single, objective based, multiplayer map we could have a magnificent focus around which better gameplay could develop than any other Halo game has seen simply because that focus is fundamentally hilarious.

And no, you would not have to develop a swimming mechanic. That pretty much removes the point of setting earth’s ultimate soldiers in bath floaties. Without the threat of instant death the comedy just isn’t there.

Gunboats or amphibious warthogs would be good.

> I’ve always felt that HALO games (especially Reach) would have much larger scale and more fun battles if some type of aquatic vehicle was involved. I think this would be awesome actually! And with games like Battlefield 3 doing it, why not? I know HALO is a sci-fi space shooter sort of game, but there are already tanks and jeeps, and there’s plenty of water in Forge World. This would increase the strategic side of things, and introduce new things in Forge. Just think of the possibilities and how fun it would be! Tell me what you think:)

\This idea is great and would work well in my idea for a “UNSC NAVAL COMBAT” Playlist. This playlist would feature Space Naval battles as its mainstay, but there could and should also be water based Naval Exercises.

Heres how I envision it.

Each team will get there own Aircraft Carrier . This will be your teams base and where you re-spawn at upon dying.
IT would be interesting to make this ship sinkable after taking the appropriate amount of waterline damage. This carrier would not be player controllable in MM and would have a set path determined by the computer.

However each team could get smaller naval vessels like battleships and gunboats that would be player controllable. Boarding and Fighter class aircraft would also play a major roll in the battle as they would be players main means of boarding the enemy’s aircraft carrier.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090907052806/halofanon/images/a/ac/Ship_Comparison.jpgSize Comparison 1

A little boat with the warthog chain gun would be sweet. Especially on a map with a river through it.

But it’s kinda impractical, because on any map with water, it would have to be shallow so you can run through it, meaning a Hog could pass through it. Deep water is always for boundaries, so wouldn’t be practical for having a vehicle there. It works in Battlefield because they can swim. Your Spartan sinks, so even with Naval battles it wouldn’t really work.

And personally I’d like to see Ariel-focused maps before Naval-focused. It is a cool idea though.

Sure, but It would have to be done just right. I dont know how to do it right though

Rubber Dingy from Halo 3 :smiley:

I think we’ll see this in Halo 5.

I was just playing a MM game yesterday and I was thinking how awesome it would be if I could just cut across that short, yet annoying span of water between my base and the enemy’s.

Think of the possibilities it would open up! In Halo’s current form, there wouldn’t be many maps where they would be useful, but adding them would allow new maps to eventually be built.

For example, you have a crescent-shaped map, with bases on either end and most of the action (vehicular and infantry fighting) going on the middle, where there are buildings, power weapons, etc. Between the two arms of the map is water. Each base has one or two transport boat thingies, lightly armored (maybe a machine gun on top or something) and fast. The passengers can maybe fire their equipped weapons? Anyway, the boats duel it out in the water, and maybe a sniper is firing from the shore. They could add some sort of big gun you could use to fire into the water at the boats.

I haven’t played much BF3, but BF1942 I do know, and I loved the conquest maps like Midway and Wake Island. Think along those lines if you don’t understand what I’m saying.

Oh, and they could be named the Water Buffalo! lol VEGGIE TALES :smiley:

Uh…

The Navy in the future has ships.

In space.

I think it would be nice to have a Forge maps where there is a large islands which smaller islands surrounding it with enough space for ships to get past. Or two very large islands that can have bases on them.

UNSC Pirahna

Mainly used as a clean up on the seas of Earth after some Covenant stragglers decided to ditch New Mombasa. It makes great use of it’s Warthog turret on the back with you, and your passengers on the sides.

Crew:
Driver 1
Gunner 1
Passengers 2