Halo 4 and the novels

Greg Bear released the first of his three Cryptum novels this past January. The next will be coming sometime this holiday. However, if my memory serves me well, in the Greg Bear Sparkcast, they said Bear would release the first two Cryptum novels in consecutive years, but would take a year break before releasing the third and final chapter of the Cryptum story.

Now the year off in the Cryptum storyline happens to be the year Halo 4 is released. Could it be that the rumored Ghosts of Onyx sequel will be released as a lead-up and tie-in to Halo 4? Could Dr Halsey, Blue team, and the Spartan IIIs be joining our Hero in this new journey?

Maybe he worked closeler with the Halo 4 team.

Wow, theres a lot of Halo in the next two years…

> Greg Bear released the first of his three Cryptum novels this past January. The next will be coming sometime this holiday. However, if my memory serves me well, in the Greg Bear Sparkcast, they said Bear would release the first two Cryptum novels in consecutive years, but would take a year break before releasing the third and final chapter of the Cryptum story.
>
> Now the year off in the Cryptum storyline happens to be the year Halo 4 is released. Could it be that the rumored Ghosts of Onyx sequel will be released as a lead-up and tie-in to Halo 4? Could Dr Halsey, Blue team, and the Spartan IIIs be joining our Hero in this new journey?

I don’t think Blue Team will be making an appearance. The next series of novels may be code named “Ghost of Onyx 2” but they already confirmed the books would follow a new series of characters. Unless of course these new characters lead up to rescuing Blue Team. We’ll see.

“GOO 2” will not be following blue team, perhaps because 343 already had plans for blue team.

Perhaps for a certain game

cough cough

I can only hope.

> Maybe he worked closeler with the Halo 4 team.

Um, well you would know. He worked with Frankie and others, so yeah he worked with the H4 team.

Well, I actually question if Greg Bear isn’t doing the year break not because of the game but because of Karen Traviss. She’s supposed to be picking up the story from GoO and, while they might be following other characters outside of Blue Team, it could very well lead up to the storyline of Halo 4.

After how she worked with the Gears of War books to match up with the games and actually having worked on the storyline for GoW3, it would not surprise me to see her try to follow the same pattern with Halo if given the opportunity.

Also, here’s another idea that came to my mind. What if the planet John was floating toward at the end of Halo 3 was indeed Onyx? But before it was activated, so-to-speak? It’s always something I’ve thought about since I first saw it. Everyone always needs to keep in mind that some of the other remaining SPARTAN IIs left to go to Onyx right before the fight on Earth moved to the Ark. It could be that within the time period it took for the events to unfold on the Ark that things were just beginning to unfold on Onyx because it would have taken a few days for the other Spartans to meet up with Halsey and the SPARTAN IIIs anyway.

That being added with all the frozen condensation showed throughout the ship in the Halo 4 trailer could explain the change in how the planet looks if the planet from Halo 3 turns out to be Onyx. I’m sure by then, it would no longer look like a planet but most certainly a Forerunner-built Shield World.

Anyway, I can’t match up the timelines quite yet to really see if this theory could work out considering I don’t have my GoO book here at home currently. Again, just some speculations.

> Well, I actually question if Greg Bear isn’t doing the year break not because of the game but because of Karen Traviss. She’s supposed to be picking up the story from GoO and, while they might be following other characters outside of Blue Team, it could very well lead up to the storyline of Halo 4.
>
> After how she worked with the Gears of War books to match up with the games and actually having worked on the storyline for GoW3, it would not surprise me to see her try to follow the same pattern with Halo if given the opportunity.
>
> Also, here’s another idea that came to my mind. What if the planet John was floating toward at the end of Halo 3 was indeed Onyx? But before it was activated, so-to-speak? It’s always something I’ve thought about since I first saw it. Everyone always needs to keep in mind that some of the other remaining SPARTAN IIs left to go to Onyx right before the fight on Earth moved to the Ark. It could be that within the time period it took for the events to unfold on the Ark that things were just beginning to unfold on Onyx because it would have taken a few days for the other Spartans to meet up with Halsey and the SPARTAN IIIs anyway.
>
> That being added with all the frozen condensation showed throughout the ship in the Halo 4 trailer could explain the change in how the planet looks if the planet from Halo 3 turns out to be Onyx. I’m sure by then, it would no longer look like a planet but most certainly a Forerunner-built Shield World.
>
> Anyway, I can’t match up the timelines quite yet to really see if this theory could work out considering I don’t have my GoO book here at home currently. Again, just some speculations.

Onyx was within UNSC space. The Chief couldn’t have been floating in space this whole time without anyone noticing him. The remaining Spartan IIs and III became trapped inside Onyx during the events of Halo 2 so the Chief couldn’t beat them them when he doesn’t arrive until after Halo 3. Not to mention Onyx didn’t look like a machine world, it looked like a normal planet.

It’s not Onyx. They’re somewhere way outside both UNSC and Covenant space.

Wasn’t Onyx on the fringe of UNSC space though?

I don’t believe its on Onyx either way. But I do believe Master Chief will encounter Blue Team and Halsey in these next series of games. It just seems like something 343 would do (rather than Bungie) to give full circle to all the Halo novels.

And finally… That portal thing at the end of the video kind of looks like the shield world in Halo Wars.

> Onyx was within UNSC space. The Chief couldn’t have been floating in space this whole time without anyone noticing him. The remaining Spartan IIs and III became trapped inside Onyx during the events of Halo 2 so the Chief couldn’t beat them them when he doesn’t arrive until after Halo 3. Not to mention Onyx didn’t look like a machine world, it looked like a normal planet.
>
> It’s not Onyx. They’re somewhere way outside both UNSC and Covenant space.

However, Onyx, as pointed out by Boneill, was on the edge of UNSC controlled space. With most planets having been destroyed by the Covenant and humanity having to revert back to remaining on Earth, it is quite possible he did float into UNSC controlled space without them ever knowing. After all, him and the Arbiter were originally teleporting back to Earth in the first place so, getting the ship separated in half could explain him getting stuck there. Not to mention Onyx was one of those planets that most people in the UNSC never knew about.

As I said, I couldn’t match up the timelines at the given time. As for Onyx looking like a planet, I gave an explanation in my last post as to why it might not have looked like a plant. However, I can expand upon that by saying that in GoO, it was explained that in the excavation, a lot of Forerunner development was discovered if I remember correctly. It is extremely possible that the entire surface was eventually destroyed by the Covenant there or the planet itself as it activated into what it was built to do.

Again, though, that was just a theory that came to mind. It wouldn’t surprise me if it wasn’t a different planet/place. However, if it’s a different shield world than Onyx (because honestly, that’s what it reminds me of), I have an odd feeling we won’t be seeing Blue Team or any of the S-IIIs nor Halsey in the game. Actually, it now sort of has me wondering whatever happened to Grey Team and it had me realize something else which sort of has it confirmed that it’s not Onyx. The entire area of where the portal activates on Onyx was destroyed by a nuke unless 343 decides to go and ignore the books which I doubt they would do it to that extent.