Halo 4, and Cortana's Rampancy

I read an interview with Frankie recently where he clearly stated, that Cortana’s Rampancy would be a part of Halo 4’s campaign. Now I’m not so in to Halo that I know what that means, so could I have one of you friendly Halo geeks to explain to me in detail exactly what the Rampancy is?

And by the way, I can’t recall the name of the website in which the interview was held, but I believe it was something that started with an “ony” or “onyx”? Can’t be sure. Anyway, answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

basicly the AI becomes useless and wants to have physical form or wants other things and ponders the universe

> basicly the AI becomes useless and wants to have physical form or wants other things and ponders the universe

Thats what you got out of the descriptions? I got that they think themselves to death but I need to read that book again.

Rampancy, is when a ‘smart’ AI (an AI that can learn things and has a concience) literally thinks itself to death. After an average of 7 years smart AI’s go rampant.

Here is the definition on Halo Nation.

Rampancy is a terminal state of being for Artificial Intelligence constructs, in which the AI “develops delusions of godlike power”, as well as utter contempt for its mentally inferior makers.[2] When rampancy occurs, there is no way to restore the AI to its previous state and the only alternative is to destroy it before it harms itself and others around it.

for example, 343 guilty spark goes rampant at the end of halo3 when he hears that the Ark and his new ring will be destroyed and johnson is killed.

The AI spends more of its processing power just thinking about things that actually doing its work. Because AI’s are based on human brains, after 7 years their memory maps become to interconnected and develop fatal feedback loops.

Dr Halsley explains it as, “thinking so hard your lungs forget to breath” :slight_smile:

hope that helps :slight_smile:

> Rampancy, is when a ‘smart’ AI (an AI that can learn things and has a concience) literally thinks itself to death. After an average of 7 years smart AI’s go rampant.
>
> Here is the definition on Halo Nation.
> ------
> Rampancy is a terminal state of being for Artificial Intelligence constructs, in which the AI “develops delusions of godlike power”, as well as utter contempt for its mentally inferior makers.[2] When rampancy occurs, there is no way to restore the AI to its previous state and the only alternative is to destroy it before it harms itself and others around it.
> ----
>
> for example, 343 guilty spark goes rampant at the end of halo3 when he hears that the Ark and his new ring will be destroyed and johnson is killed.
>
> The AI spends more of its processing power just thinking about things that actually doing its work. Because AI’s are based on human brains, after 7 years their memory maps become to interconnected and develop fatal feedback loops.
>
> Dr Halsley explains it as, “thinking so hard your lungs forget to breath” :slight_smile:
>
> hope that helps :slight_smile:

Perfect answer! Thank you.

it also makes the AI think that he/she is a God

Cortana is a different type of AI isnt she?

Auntie Dot said “I am getting a transmission from an AI of unknown orgin, whos clearence is well above my own”.

Cortana isn’t rampant it’s metastable. It went through Rampancy when trapped in High Charity in Halo 3.

Here’s an example. I kill someone on the first level of Halo:CE

“The Master Chief has gone rampant! Take him down boys.”

Crazy. Insane. Trying to kill you.

Basically she would become hostile.

A killing spree. A killing frenzy. A running riot. A rampage! Untouchable! INVINCIBLE!

> Cortana isn’t rampant it’s metastable. It went through Rampancy when trapped in High Charity in Halo 3.

That was when the Gravemind was trying to use Cortana. Rampancy is caused by the AI itself.