Halo 4: An analogy

Before trolling me, hear me out.
In a youth baseball league, you have the local league, which is great for people who just want to have fun playing the game and have a generally fun and memorable experience. You also have the traveling teams, which are for the more competitive players who enjoy working together as a team to win, and to keep improving as individuals. Now, imagine that the local teams and traveling teams were all dissolved, and a mixed league appears. Now, you have the people that are looking for competition paired with people who want to play the game for fun. As you could imagine, this would not go so well. Competitive players get angry because the casual players arent good enough to win, while the casual players get angry because the competitive players only want to have fun, and seemingly not have an enjoyable time.

For the sake of the analogy, pretend wooden bats are used in this league. Now, before the two leagues were combined into one, everybody used plain, regular wooden bats. Now, the rules have been changed to allow the use of corked bats, which easily hit the ball much farther than a regular wooden bat, and puts teams at a disadvantage. While there are people desperately trying to hold on to the legitimate way of playing the game of baseball with wooden bats, the players using corked bats, no matter if they are more skilled or significantly less skilled than the best players, are unfairly beating and winning against teams that stick with the regular wooden bat. Then, theres the umpire. Youve heard some pretty good things about this particular umpire. He seems like a fair, experienced adjudicator in the game of baseball. However, when the game starts, you start to slowly realize that he may not all that he has been made out to be. His strike zone is too large, and he consistently calls safe runners out. He shrugs off the taunting of bad calls from the audience watching, and continues the game to the bitter end. Corked bats or uncorked bats, the seemingly better players are beaten by the worse players, the baseball diamond is a tattered mess, and the fans are booing the umpire.

What happened? I believe we can ask ourselves the same questions about Halo 4. 343 did an amazing job reacting to the fan base upon their release of Combat Evolved Anniversary, and it received a large amount of praise from basically everybody. People that had doubts in 343 were assuaged (for the moment), and were generally optimistic about the release of Halo 4. The loadouts system seemed like a great new and fresh idea to the franchise, and ordinance looked like it would be a genuinely legitimate and balanced new way of delivering power weapons and power-ups to change up gameplay. 343 claimed to want to bring both the casual and competitive edge to this new breed, this new chapter of the Halo franchise, and from what they revealed in interviews, it seemed like it was going to actually happen!

Then, the game came out. I couldnt believe how fun this game was in the first 3 or so days of launch. It seemed perfect; balance was spot on, loadouts seemed to work, and hell, even ordinance seemed like a worthy addition! Now, a week later, we see the true reality of what has happened to Halo 4. The casual players have the corked bats (DMR, camo/PV, explosive/resupply perk, stickies) while the competitive players are still trying to hold on dearly to their good ol’ wooden bats (BR, mobility/shielding, frags). We are now seeing a complete lack of support from the umpire, 343, who is generally making all the wrong calls. Slayer pro is a POOR excuse for a competitive playlist, and the imbalance that ordinance and loadouts bring to this game is just plain ridiculous. Maps are bland and sparse, only 5 maps being able to be voted upon in Slayer, and the game type variety is just atrocious. We now see more complaining, -Yoinking!-, and fanboying for this game than any other game that has ever been released in this franchise. We now are seeing what 343 is actually made of. They have not delivered what they promised. They have destroyed custom games. They have wrecked the core balances of the Halo multiplayer formula. They have DOWNGRADED forge.

The fans are booing. They are booing because this is not the game that we were promised. All you need to do is open your eyes, because this game is not what it seems. The only feasible tactic for doing well in this game is picking up that corked bat, and just swinging away, because without it, you will never win. Weapons have become obsolete. Strategy is now a thing of the past. This game is dominated by a flood of casual players drawn in by the gimmicks marketed by the company solely to draw in more new players from a rival franchise. There needs to be a separation of casual and ranked. There need to be set loadouts depending on gametypes and maps. Instant respawning has obliterated the comfortable pace this game had, and now its nothing but a “who can get the most kills the fastest” fest. This is not the kind of game we were promise, and 343 is not the kind of company they have claimed themselves to be. The halo franchise was supposed to be “reborn,” and instead it has been given an -Yoink!-. Please, 343, give us the game we deserve. Thank you.

This wall hurts my eyes when I attempt to read it. Throw some paragraphs in there and maybe I’ll look at it.

> This wall hurts my eyes when I attempt to read it. Throw some paragraphs in there and maybe I’ll look at it.

Haha, agreed. I’m in college and its nothing for me to read 100+ text book pages in a couple days but this was just intimidating lol

> > This wall hurts my eyes when I attempt to read it. Throw some paragraphs in there and maybe I’ll look at it.
>
> Haha, agreed. I’m in college and its nothing for me to read 100+ text book pages in a couple days but this was just intimidating lol

Is that better lol?

> while the casual players get angry because the competitive players only want to have fun, and seemingly not have an enjoyable time.

I think you meant to put “the competitive players only want to WIN”, right?

Anyway, I am sorry I didn’t read the entire thing, but i think it’s safe to say the analogy you made fits the situation perfectly, and I agree!

Dam i just learned a lot about baseball

OT I agree but I’m forgiving of 343 considering this was their first Halo game. Considering that fact i thought they did rather nicely

> Dam i just learned a lot about baseball
>
> OT I agree but I’m forgiving of 343 considering this was their first Halo game. Considering that fact i thought they did rather nicely

This is the gaming industry. Not the little league. When you’re apart of an industry, you don’t get kudos for “trying”. You get kudos for succeeding. For making a game that can keep people glued for hours. For making a game with replay value. Halo 4 COULD be that game, but it’s not even close as-is.

The worst part is that we must now rely upon Title Updates from 343i to develop this incomplete game with the Campaign being the only complete (being uneditable) experience (as awkward a linear-romance-action-adventure could get between a cyborg and an AI (that suddenly wants to be more human) could get) in which you have to be an Xbox Live Gold Member if you want access to both Title Updates and post-game Drama-Mc Action-Hog - Spartan OPs.

You know the sad part? This forum, the casual forum is less satisfied with Halo 4 than the The Halo Council or MLG. That is a role switch.

I guess what I am really trying to say is ADAPT

trollface.jpg

Good read

Very good topic.
Good work.
I agreed to 100%.

Fav :slight_smile:

PS: I think you should edit the Subject Title because its weird :smiley:

Very good analogy and I agree 100%.

push