Halo 4, a sequel to Halo 3

Just as a reminder guys, the sequel to Halo Reach was Halo CE.

Using common logic, we can deduce what should and shouldn’t be in Halo 4 based on the fact that it is the sequel to Halo 3, not Halo Reach. Now, according to the canon of the Halo universe many things were destroyed on the planet Reach, such as the DMR, Armour Abilities, Spartan 3’s, and every single skirmisher.

Now the first thing to deal with is the health system, which is under much debate. With Halo Reach’s Spartan 3’s and Master Chief’s Mark V armor we needed to use health packs to regenerate our health, but in Halo 2 Master Chief received the Mark VI armor allowing him to regenerate his health. Going into Halo 4 why would Master Chief change his health system if he is using the same armor he received Halo 2? Based on what we know, the health and shield system in Halo 4 should be the same as Halo 2 and 3.

The next big topic is bloom. Based on the fact that Halo 3 did not have bloom, we can surmise that Halo 4 will not as well.

The final big topic is Armour Abilities. All Armour Abilities were completely obliterated by the glassing and destruction of the planet Reach. There is a high probability that they will not be in Halo 4.

Thank you for your time.

Disclaimer: This is not what I want to be in Halo 4, simply what I can assume will be by using my brain.

This thread is a bastion of wisdom in the black chasm of stupidity that is plaguing these forums. You stated everything completely as anyone could with a sliver of logic, something that many people do not acquire these days. I say thank you, kind sir.

The DMR wasn’t destroyed on Reach…it’s just an Army weapon which we hadn’t encountered before, so it could be in Halo 4 if the Army is in it.

> Just as a reminder guys, the sequel to Halo Reach was Halo CE.
>
> Using common logic, we can deduce what should and shouldn’t be in Halo 4 based on the fact that it is the sequel to Halo 3, not Halo Reach. Now, according to the canon of the Halo universe many things were destroyed on the planet Reach, such as the DMR, Armour Abilities, Spartan 3’s, and every single skirmisher.
>
> Now the first thing to deal with is the health system, which is under much debate. With Halo Reach’s Spartan 3’s and Master Chief’s Mark V armor we needed to use health packs to regenerate our health, but in Halo 2 Master Chief received the Mark VI armor allowing him to regenerate his health. Going into Halo 4 why would Master Chief change his health system if he is using the same armor he received Halo 2? Based on what we know, the health and shield system in Halo 4 should be the same as Halo 2 and 3.
>
> The next big topic is bloom. Based on the fact that Halo 3 did not have bloom, we can surmise that Halo 4 will not as well.
>
> The final big topic is Armour Abilities. All Armour Abilities were completely obliterated by the glassing and destruction of the planet Reach. There is a high probability that they will not be in Halo 4.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Disclaimer: This is not what I want to be in Halo 4, simply what I can assume will be by using my brain.

1. Bloom is a visualization of bullet spread, something that has been in Halo since day 1. Removing bloom will not remove spread. I would guess, then, that bloom will probably return.

2. This excuse that all armor abilities were lost because Reach got glassed makes no sense, and should not be considered part of canon. Based on the trailer, AAs will return in some form or another.

Like I said…we had never fought along side the Army

Spread may return, I just hope that I don’t have to see it.

Yes bloom was in Halo 1. However, It was not in any other Halo after that except Reach. Spread is not bloom. Bloom occurs by firing your gun which decreases your accuracy (making your reticle bigger or making it “bloom”). Spread is the random positioning of the bullets in a burst. Your spread cannot get better or worse because it is a constant; however, your bloom can. Think about it. It’s not that hard to understand. I really don’t get why people say that bloom has been in every Halo when it clearly hasn’t. (Also read that second highest rated comment on that video)

> Yes bloom was in Halo 1. However, It was not in any other Halo after that except Reach. Spread is not bloom. Bloom occurs by firing your gun which decreases your accuracy (making your reticle bigger or making it “bloom”). Spread is the random positioning of the bullets in a burst. Your spread cannot get better or worse because it is a constant; however, your bloom can. Think about it. It’s not that hard to understand. I really don’t get why people say that bloom has been in every Halo when it clearly hasn’t. (Also read that second highest rated comment on that video)

Check the video I posted. The guy hold down the trigger, then spams the shots, then paces. See how, based on the style of shooting, the spread changes. There’s another video on youtube that demonstrated this with the AR.

Also, bullet spread was in Halo 2 and 3. BR spread was a serious issue with Halo 3
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=16334506&postRepeater1-p=1 <–here

Bloom is simply a visualization of bullet spread. Removing bloom will not remove spread. They are two linked, but different, systems.

Never said bullet spread wasn’t in Halo 2 or 3. I said Bloom wasn’t.

No AAs/Bloom in Halo 4 will make me and the rest of the millions of Halo fans very very happy :slight_smile:

> No AAs/Bloom in Halo 4 will make me and the rest of the millions of Halo fans very very happy :slight_smile:

Indeed.

> Never said bullet spread wasn’t in Halo 2 or 3. I said Bloom wasn’t.

But all bloom is is a visual representation of bullet spread.

Bloom is not the same as Bullet Spread. Bloom increases Bullet Spread.

> Bloom is not the same as Bullet Spread. Bloom increases Bullet Spread.

Bloom does not affect bullet spread at all. Bullet spread affects bloom. Bloom is a visual function of the HUD. Bullet spread is a game mechanic.

First, to clear some things up:

1. “Now, according to the canon of the Halo universe many things were destroyed on the planet Reach, such as the DMR, Armour Abilities, Spartan 3’s, and every single skirmisher.” This quote is false, on all counts. I’ll start with the DMR. Contrary to what I’m presuming you believe, the DMR was not an experimental piece of equipment exclusive to the planet Reach. Rather, the DMR has been in service for quite some time (though this amount of time is not disclosed). The reason we don’t see it in any other installments of this franchise is because Halo Reach is the only game that sees the player working with Army personnel, rather than Marines. The DMR was replaced by the BR as standard issue rifle in 2548 in all branches of military except the UNSC Army. Again, Reach sees us working with primarily Army personnel, hence the appearance of the DMR. Point being, the DMR is actually older than the BR. It’s not new and experimental and exclusive to Reach. As for armor abilities, these were never canon in the first place. I’m not saying that they break canon. Rather, they simply literally don’t exist as technology in-universe. They serve only a gameplay function, not a function in canon. Think about it. Every Spartan can sprint without the use of a module to do so. In you’re familiar with the fine details of the universe, every Spartan can also lock their armor whenever they please. Master Chief did so to survive re-entry in Halo 3. My point is that armor abilities were merely a gameplay function to mix up the game. They were not all obliterated with Reach, because they’re not a real technology and each Spartan can do most of the abilities with or without a module. They could very well feature in Halo 4.

Next, Spartan-IIIs. These guys were by no means killed off with Reach. I can tell just by this claim that you’re really not familiar with the finer details of the canon, so I’ll run through some of this. Spartan-IIIs were trained on Onyx to be mass-produced suicide supersoldiers, etc. There were three companies of Spartan-IIIs at the end of the Halo trilogy. Alpha Company was killed in their victory in Operation: PROMETHEUS. Beta Company was killed during their victorious operation on the Covenant-held planet Pegasi Delta. The casualties, of course, exclude members of the companies specifically chosen for other things (such as Noble). Now, there was a final company: Gamma Company. As of Halo 3, their location is unknown. Not unknown as in MIA, but it’s literally a loose story end. Ghosts of Onyx sees the entire company graduate and leave Onyx, but little is known about where they were placed, etc. In conclusion, Spartan-IIIs indeed live after the events on Reach. In fact, the last graduating class graduated just after Halo 2.

Finally, Skirmishers. You have no credibility in claiming that they’re completely obliterated. For one thing, they’d definitely have a home world, right? All Covenant species do. I honestly doubt that the Covenant took every single Skirmisher off of their home world just to put them on Reach. It’s just not likely, and it hasn’t been confirmed. A more likely story is that a good portion of the warrior classes of Skirmishers were killed, meaning the overall species simply went back into relative obscurity for a few years (as they never appeared before the events on Reach either, implying that they’re a relatively small portion of the Covenant force).

1. “Based on what we know, the health and shield system in Halo 4 should be the same as Halo 2 and 3.” This is, again, false. Frank O’Connor has confirmed that the Master Chief is receiving some canonical armor upgrades in Halo 4, meaning there’s no conclusive evidence that would allow you to lean one way or the other with health, as we definitely won’t be having the identical MJOLNIR Mk. VI.

2. “The next big topic is bloom. Based on the fact that Halo 3 did not have bloom, we can surmise that Halo 4 will not as well.” That is absurd logic. Bloom is purely a gameplay invention, and seeing as Halo Reach is a more recent installment than Halo 3, despite being chronologically a few months prior, it is the best measuring stick for whether or not bloom will be featured in Halo 4. An even better measuring stick, however, will be seen in 343’s title update come August. If they do anything about bloom, we can use that as a measuring stick.

3. “The final big topic is Armour Abilities. All Armour Abilities were completely obliterated by the glassing and destruction of the planet Reach. There is a high probability that they will not be in Halo 4.” I already proved this one false, but I just wanted to reiterate that armor abilities are not in-universe devices that are pieces of the story. Each armor ability feature a maneuver most Spartans can already achieve without armor abilities. They are mentioned in no media. Bungie never said that they exist in-universe as actual, canon devices. They are simply devices to enhance gameplay, and could very well make a return.

And finally, please remember that anything goes for Halo 4. It doesn’t have to follow the rules. We’re not working in the realm of established canon anymore, as we’re looking at facing a new enemy force in a new time period with a new cast of characters, probably a number of years after Halo 3 (giving humanity time to rebuild, as Halsey said they did on July 7, 2589). This would basically mean that, even if the DMR, armor abilities, and Spartan-IIIs were all obliterated with Reach, humanity would definitely have time to engineer something similar, and we’re actually likely to see a whole new set of equipment. Forty years is a long time.

All im saying is that Halo 4 should be a direct sequel to Halo 3 and not Reach. If Reach has DMR and Armour Abilities that is good and fine, but why should Halo 4 if its not a direct sequel.

> All im saying is that Halo 4 should be a direct sequel to Halo 3 and not Reach. If Reach has DMR and Armour Abilities that is good and fine, but why should Halo 4 if its not a direct sequel.

Halo 2 had new weapons that weren’t in Halo 1. Halo 3 had equipment that wasn’t featured in previous titles. The trailer has already shown us that there are going to be AA-like things in Halo 4, but to what extent is unknown.

> > All im saying is that Halo 4 should be a direct sequel to Halo 3 and not Reach. If Reach has DMR and Armour Abilities that is good and fine, but why should Halo 4 if its not a direct sequel.
>
> Halo 2 had new weapons that weren’t in Halo 1. Halo 3 had equipment that wasn’t featured in previous titles. The trailer has already shown us that there are going to be AA-like things in Halo 4, but to what extent is unknown.

Yea and I can’t wait to see what new stuff 343 comes up with, I just hope they don’t copy from Reach too much. From the trailer it looked to me like they might be hinting at anti gravity gameplay more than an armour ability, but its all guessing at this point.

> All im saying is that Halo 4 should be a direct sequel to Halo 3 and not Reach. If Reach has DMR and Armour Abilities that is good and fine, but why should Halo 4 if its not a direct sequel.

Before Bungie decided to create a game on Reach, they were going to make Halo 4. In other words, gameplay progression won’t skip a game just because it’s a prequel. The innovations have to keep moving or it feels like a step back. Reach’s engine is a directly updated version of Halo 3’s, so why not use that instead?