Halo 4 & 5 campaign

Why did people like Halo 4’s campaign? Leave your answers below…
In my opinion I really disliked the campaign. It had a cheesy love story between an AI and a “Machine.” Weak supporting characters. (Lasky, Palmer, etc.)As opposed to Keyes, Johnson, Lord hood… A predictable ending that was lackluster (kinda creepy too). Cheesy, unecessary, and overused dialogue/stunts that have already been used way too much in the Halo series (Don’t make a girl a promise… Falling from space). Not to mention breaking canon… Chiefs armor, the Frigate, jackals, elites, were all changed so 343i could leave “mark.” Which ruined the immersion of Halo 4.
But the thing that killed Halo 4 for me the most was an Emotional Chief! Like wtf?
This man was a God in the eyes of many, even if you’ve never played Halo… you knew who the Chief was, you knew of his Godly status. Now he’s an emotional ptsd infested wreck? What the hell is that… You are a Spartan, bred for war, humanity’s last stand against the genocidal alien pact known as the covenant. You aren’t some pansy worried about your AI buddy coming down with rampancy! Chief, Equipment is expendable.
P.s. I know some if not most of the community only cares about multiplayer and wouldn’t give a damn about the campaign. But to us who fell in love with Halo because of its story back in CE we believe that in order for Halo to return to its prime. It must have a Hype man… but we can’t have him an emotional wreck. We need him kicking -Yoink- and taking names.

1. It was not a love story. It was a story of a solider whose friend is pretty much dying while inside his head.
  2. It was the story we like. Had a good narrative
  3. The main trilogy didn’t exactly have the strongest support characters.
  4. It expanded the universe in the games.

Also cortana is becoming rampant which is essentially her thinking to death.
I still don’t understand where people get the idea that the relationship between Cortana and chief was of romance. It was of friendship.
Plus it tied up Cortana’s story arc by having her on the eve of dying to sacrifice herself for her friend and caretaker and guardian. If you thought that her wanting to touch was creepy then you really don’t understand what cortana is. She is someone who acts and would like to be a human or organic but she’s a AI. Her being able to touch is probably something most AIs dream of.
But of course that doesn’t matter now thanksto Halo 5.

> 2533274816487930;2:
> 1. It was not a love story. It was a story of a solider whose friend is pretty much dying while inside his head.
> 2. It was the story we like. Had a good narrative
> 3. The main trilogy didn’t exactly have the strongest support characters.
> 4. It expanded the universe in the games.

1. It felt like a love story. But what I don’t is why would chief befriend an AI? He himself said equipment is expendable.
  2. Maybe so, but I think it was poorly executed. Didn’t feel like Halo to me. The only part that felt like was when they actually showed a Halo ring.
  3. Do you prefer palmer/Lasky over Captain Keyes/Johnson?
  4. That it did do. But Im afraid it revealed too much…

> 2533274816487930;3:
> Also cortana is becoming rampant which is essentially her thinking to death.
> I still don’t understand where people get the idea that the relationship between Cortana and chief was of romance. It was of friendship.
> Plus it tied up Cortana’s story arc by having her on the eve of dying to sacrifice herself for her friend and caretaker and guardian. If you thought that her wanting to touch was creepy then you really don’t understand what cortana is. She is someone who acts and would like to be a human or organic but she’s a AI. Her being able to touch is probably something most AIs dream of.
> But of course that doesn’t matter now thanksto Halo 5.

John once said equipment was expendable… AI is equipment. Halo CE to 3 obviously they were friends. Halo 4 went a little too far for my tastes. Felt like they couldve toned his emotional side down. After all in the books it says most Spartans keep to themselves unless besides another Spartan. All the small cortanas on the light bridge ganging up on the Didact didn’t creep you out? They could’ve gone a different route if you ask me…

We all know the cheesy love story in Halo is the soap opera inappropriately being played out during the annihilation of Earth (ODST).

Halo 4 mirrored CE a lot in terms of exploring a mysterious Forerunner installation and encountering a strange new enemy (Flood/Prometheans), which was fun, though not original. Although “originality” is not the first thing a lot of the “purist” fans (for lack of a better term, I apologize) ask for. CE is my favorite Halo, so I certainly appreciated the parallels.

I’m also a big fan of the extended universe and Chief from the books finally made an appearance in Halo 4. He spoke, gave opinions, showed emotion, was a person … he was John from the novels. Remember in Halo 3, he spent a good maybe half of the campaign with the Arbiter and managed to utter one word to him throughout the entire game: “worse”. I know he’s a man of few words, but come on.

I will say Johnson, Lord Hood, Spark, Rtas, and Keyes (both Captain and Commander) are great characters and hard to top, and Halo 4 lacked in quality supporting characters save for two: first is the honorable mention of Del Rio for being very well acted, but the best NPC in Halo 4 IMO is Commander/Captain Lasky. He was great. Wonderfully written and performed. But since Halo 4 borrowed so heavily from CE, and since CE also lacked in many supporting characters (remember, Sgt. Johnson didn’t even have a name in CE), CE basically only had Captain Keyes and Foehammer (and you never even see her, which isn’t necessary for a good character if you do it properly, but still). While Halo 4 had some questionable characters, it at least had them. But putting them aside, you have to compare Lasky to Keyes, both of whom are great characters.

So the reason I personally like Halo 4 is that, to me, it feels like a version of CE that doesn’t just acknowledge the lore or hint at it, but that it is the lore. It actually feels like it. When you read the old books and play the Bungie games, there’s such a disconnect between the two. When you read them and play the 343 games (yes, even Halo 5 … especially Halo 5 in terms of Meridian and Sanghelios) it’s like watching the perfect adaptation of a screenplay based on a novel. It kind of makes me wish 343 developed “Reach” and not Bungie because a game that actually centered around the events of the Fall of Reach instead of ignoring it would have been amazing!

> 2533274816487930;2:
> 1. It was not a love story. It was a story of a solider whose friend is pretty much dying while inside his head.
> 2. It was the story we like. Had a good narrative
> 3. The main trilogy didn’t exactly have the strongest support characters.
> 4. It expanded the universe in the games.

This. OP I personally think you’re just biased towards halo 4. You’re mad because chief has emotions like every other human being. It’s called character development, something the other games lacked.

Because it has the greatest villain in all the Halo saga; The Didact

> 2533274863640603;1:
> In my opinion I really disliked the campaign. It had a cheesy love story between an AI and a “Machine.”[1] Weak supporting characters. [2] (Lasky, Palmer, etc.)As opposed to Keyes, Johnson, Lord hood… A predictable ending that was lackluster (kinda creepy too). Cheesy, unecessary, and overused dialogue/stunts that have already been used way too much in the Halo series [3] (Don’t make a girl a promise… Falling from space). Not to mention breaking canon… Chiefs armor, the Frigate, jackals, elites, were all changed so 343i could leave “mark.” Which ruined the immersion of Halo 4. [4]
> But the thing that killed Halo 4 for me the most was an Emotional Chief! [5] Like wtf?
> This man was a God in the eyes of many, even if you’ve never played Halo… you knew who the Chief was, you knew of his Godly status. Now he’s an emotional ptsd infested wreck? What the hell is that… You are a Spartan, bred for war, humanity’s last stand against the genocidal alien pact known as the covenant. You aren’t some pansy worried about your AI buddy coming down with rampancy! Chief, Equipment is expendable.
> P.s. I know some if not most of the community only cares about multiplayer and wouldn’t give a damn about the campaign. But to us who fell in love with Halo because of its story back in CE we believe that in order for Halo to return to its prime. It must have a Hype man… but we can’t have him an emotional wreck. We need him kicking -Yoink- and taking names. [6]

I’ll be honest. I didn’t like Halo 4 or 5s campaigns when I first played through them. I’ve been playing since Halo:CE was released in 2001. I know where you’re opinion comes from, but I disagree now that I’ve read more and more of the lore and backstory of the halo halo franchise.

1. This was frustrating for me too, but chief isn’t a machine; he still has a personality and character. He has shown several times to be closely connected with his squad and those working with him. He has spent years with Cortana. Through the Covenant war and through the years floating in space before Halo 4, they’ve been together. Chief doesn’t like seeing any of the good guys die…or go crazy.

2. Weak supporting characters? If you’re going to base everything on just the games, they all had weak supporting characters. If anything, Halo 5 had the most fleshed out supporting characters through dialogue in the game.

3. Without the action/memorable quotes, Halo would be bland. The stunts often show how lucky chief is and how big the consequences are. In Halo 4, we even see Chief fail to stop the Didact from getting the composer. This was really the first time we’ve realistically seen the Chief fail and not pull off some cheesy ridiculous stunt. As far as the dialogue- I don’t agree with you. I find the dialogue to be full of meaning with what is happening in the story.

4. I agree that the armor change from 3-4 was not fleshed out, but there isn’t much that doesn’t make sense beyond that. The species that were in the Covenant have sub-species and it makes sense to see them. If anything it makes the Halo universe more immersive.

5. This goes back to issue 1. Chief doesn’t view Cortana as equipment. He views her as a teammate.

6. I don’t see Chief as an emotional wreck. I see him as a character that, after several games of backstory, actually shows he isn’t perfect or a machine. And, be careful with your wish of a “Hype man.” That may be the plan behind injecting Spartan Locke into the spotlight. And, to me, he can’t fill the Chief’s boots.

5s campaign made me really appreciate 4s campaign.

My issues with 4s campaign were

• The entire conflict could have been avoided if Del Rio listened to Master chief - Palmers constant bratty attitude - How incompetent they made the Didact - Laskys only purpose in the main campaign was to give chief a pelican - Spartan IVs were so lack luster - Cringe worthy dialogue - Quick time events - Lack of space to drive vehicles - Barley any open areasBut apart from these issues Halo 4 had a really solid campaign.