Halo 3 Re-Release: Let's do this right!

Halo 3’s re-release on October 16th for free over Xbox Live marketplace is a big deal. There is tons of excitement, I have old friends who’ve missed playing Halo for years just because they couldn’t stand Reach, and 4. And they are excited to finally have a reason to get back into it. And I’d like to see 343i do everything right to give us the Halo experience we’ve wanted for years.

I’d like to start by saying that Halo: CE Anniversary and Anniversary in Reach’s multiplayer really did a good job at delivering a classic-styled Halo experience to players who missed the days when it was just your guns, your grenades, and your powerups. Those friends I mentioned who played Anniversary mode actually enjoyed it. It really proved that all most of us OG Xbox Halo fans want is that unique Halo experience that simply doesn’t exist on the market today. Halo was the last successful Arena game on the market. And that formula would still be successful today. I’m not saying we shouldn’t advance the franchise. Halo 2 and 3 both saw key advancements that were widely accepted (some of which were only frowned upon because of limited online capability due to unavoidable lag at the time, like Halo 3’s experimentation with losing hitscan, or Halo 2’s aim assist/hitscan being very high to compensate for online play) but still stuck to that key Arena formula of symmetrical spawns, map control, and the proposition of skill and strategy > hand-holding features and chaotic/random gameplay elements.

And that is why I want to see Halo 3 going free as a way for us, the community and the old-school Halo fans to prove that we want our game back. Which we can prove with online population counts. Not that I’m saying the new formula should be abandoned completely. I will explain what I mean like this in a separate post if anyone asks, as I’m not suggesting we merge the two or use playlist separation, that doesn’t work. But the point of this paragraph is that I am calling on you, the community, to prove with constant consistent population of Halo 3 that classic gameplay deserves attention. Actually play Halo 3, and not just here and there, but take it back as your primary game, stick to it until at least the release of Halo Xbox One, overpopulate Halo 4 and Reach, when Major Nelson releases live activity charts put Halo 3 ON THE MAP. Attract 343i’s attention to the fact that this IS what we want. And possibly even more importantly: SPREAD THE WORD that Halo 3 is back, and that it means business. And that WE have the power to give Halo a brighter, more Arena/Classic future.

In terms of the release itself, I want 343i to give us a clean slate to work with. They have announced that they will be pruning Halo 3’s playlists to deliver a streamlined experience. So on October 16th I think there are several steps 343i can deliver which I will list here:

Step 1: Make all of Halo 3’s DLC free to download, and required for ALL playlists.

Halo 3 is no a 6 year old game. The chances that even players who have never played it before will jump in and buy all the DLC is pretty slim at best, and with nearly all of Halo 3’s playlists requiring DLC as it is, it could prove to be a real turn-off for them to load up the game and be stuck with the limited selection of unranked Slayer, and Rumble Pit. Halo 3’s DLC was some of the best in the franchise, releasing several maps that are NECESSARY for optimizing the experience of the game. Blackout, Avalanche, Heretic, Sandbox, and Citadel are all examples of amazing maps that are NOT included in either the vanilla game, or the free Heroic/Cold Storage DLC packs. These are necessary for players to experience Halo 3 at it’s best. And are old enough now that making them a part of the free Halo 3 experience delivered on October 16th is a must.

Step 2: Playlist optimization.

We need to walk in expecting low numbers off the bat. Players aren’t going to just flock to Halo 3 in a single day, as much as I wish they would I’m willing to admit that those not still grounded into the Halo franchise may take a while to catch on to the hear-say of the community and actually give it a try, and may even neglect to jump on the bandwagon until they have seen the population results. For that reason, Halo 3 needs it’s playlist count reduced enough that searching for games will not be a chore. Here’s the list of playlists I want to see in the game on the 16th:

Ranked -
Lone Wolves (Always BR starts, default Slayer, veto for Objective)
Team Slayer (Always BR starts)
Team Doubles (Always BR starts, default Slayer, veto for Objective)
Team Hardcore (Default SWAT, veto for Snipers)
MLG (Default MLG Slayer, veto for MLG Objective)

Social -
Rumble Pit (Default Slayer ARs/BRs, veto for Objective BRs/Infection)
Team Skirmish (Default Slayer/VIP ARs/BRs, veto for Objective BRs)
Big Team Battle (Always BR starts, default Slayer/VIP, veto for Objective)
Multi-Team (Default Slayer ARs/BRs, veto for Objective BRs/Rocket Race)
Action Sack (Default Grifball, veto for everything else)

10 playlists to cover all the available basics. Providing us with as wide a variety of Halo gametypes with short search times and a good healthy variety of gameplay no matter what playlist you play. I’d also GREATLY appreciate if 343i considered buffing movement speed to either 110% or 120%. Halo 3 is a pretty slow paced game and movement speed has a lot to do with it. Having this setting in place across all playlists would instantly benefit the game, as seen in Halo 4 Turbo.

Step 3: Reset Ranked Playlists

Now to clarify, your highest rank WILL STAY on your profile if this is done. However, I think that resetting the ranked playlist’s ranks will give everyone that “fresh start” they want with this game. It will create a new, healthy competitive spirit that anyone, new or old to the franchise can get into. And it will give the vets with a 50 in everything something to strive for once again, and the unfortunate rank-locked souls from Halo 3’s past will finally get their second chance at glory, now maybe as more experienced and competitively capable players. Ranks in Halo 3 were a major factor in it’s continuity. Give us back that rush of emotion we got when we first played the game and made that hard, strong push to be the best player we could be.

Step 4: Continued support of the game’s matchmaking

Now, by this I don’t mean they should be releasing new maps, messing with maps already in the game, tweaking weapons or anything to that effect. But I strongly believe they can update the game’s netcode to provide a more lag-free experience if they took some time to try. And if the game is popular enough perhaps a weapon tuning update could be beneficial. We all know we want to see spread tightened on Halo 3’s BR and Carbine for consistency’s sake. Maybe 343i should consider doing that? And as populations rise, the playlists listed above could be disected and separated. With a higher population, SWAT and Snipers could receive unique playlists. Social Slayer could return as it’s own thing, and some great community custom gametypes and maps from the Halo 3 era might see a MM debut.

So in essence, there is a lot that could be done by both 343i and the Halo community to deliver a fantastic Halo 3 re-release, and even shape the future of the franchise so we’re not all complaining and quitting 2 months after a new Halo comes out! Lets do this guys!

Don’t get me wrong I love Halo 3 however I won’t be venturing back into Halo 3 very much. I’ll probably replay the campaign maybe have a few games of TS and then return to Halo 4.

343 know what we want (Its partly why this forum exists). They are not oblivious to the problems with Halo 4 and have already said they know where they have gone wrong and will be vastly improving the next installment.

Halo 4 is dying as it is which is a shame considering it is now quite a solid game (that I am enjoying more than any other game I have played). Moving to Halo 3 isn’t helping. The game needs all the support it can get with new games coming out soon. That said I am not going to stop anybody from playing Halo 3, just trying to say don’t play it for the sake of classic settings returning (because I can see Halo 5 being somewhere between 3 and Reach) but because you enjoy it.

I have to disagree. I feel that 343i has very little idea of what we want. They knew while they developed Halo 4 that we did NOT appreciate Reach and yet they followed and advanced the Reach formula instead of reverting to a more Arena style of game.

I’ll admit as well that 343i has done a lot with what little they had to work with in Halo 4 to make a better game out of it. But the community uses words, instead of action to say what they want. They don’t play Anniversary Classic, and Legendary Slayer failed as a playlist (though I’m hoping a lot of players vote Legendary in TS and Doubs, I’ve seen action from it on the occasion I play thankfully). But Halo 3 is our real chance to prove it to them. They aren’t going to believe our words if we just SAY what we want, but don’t PLAY what we want when they give it to us.

343i should make all DLC free, and use all playlists and not get rid of some like they do in halo 4, I still play halo 3 a lot. Hell I’m on right now just playin a little campaign I miss the good ol days on halo 3

i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.

> i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.

Part of it is the new audience who never even played Halo 3 will be happy to try it. But also the audience that quit Halo 4 (which is approximately 70% of players), will likely also love the chance to show 343i that future Halo’s NEED to follow the original formula.

It’s not just about getting to play Halo 3 again, it’s about using population to show that an Arena style Halo is what fans of the franchise WANT to see.

> > i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.
>
> Part of it is the new audience who never even played Halo 3 will be happy to try it. But also the audience that quit Halo 4 (which is approximately 70% of players), will likely also love the chance to show 343i that future Halo’s NEED to follow the original formula.
>
> It’s not just about getting to play Halo 3 again, it’s about using population to show that an Arena style Halo is what fans of the franchise WANT to see.

PREACH IT UP

> > i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.
>
> Part of it is the new audience who never even played Halo 3 will be happy to try it. But also the audience that quit Halo 4 (which is approximately 70% of players), will likely also love the chance to show 343i that future Halo’s NEED to follow the original formula.
>
> It’s not just about getting to play Halo 3 again, it’s about using population to show that an Arena style Halo is what fans of the franchise WANT to see.

believe me i would love to be wrong in my opinion on this.

however you have to remember that even for new people who havent played before, its still a 6 year old game with 6 year old mechanics. in todays call of duty style gameplay i dont think it will draw in too many new folks.

that leaves just the people who already played and moved on. sure a few will probably play for nostalgias sake if they had resold it to gamestop or whatever but i dont think were gonna see a big change to the numbers.

> > > i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.
> >
> > Part of it is the new audience who never even played Halo 3 will be happy to try it. But also the audience that quit Halo 4 (which is approximately 70% of players), will likely also love the chance to show 343i that future Halo’s NEED to follow the original formula.
> >
> > It’s not just about getting to play Halo 3 again, it’s about using population to show that an Arena style Halo is what fans of the franchise WANT to see.
>
> believe me i would love to be wrong in my opinion on this.
>
> however you have to remember that even for new people who havent played before, its still a 6 year old game with 6 year old mechanics. in todays call of duty style gameplay i dont think it will draw in too many new folks.
>
> that leaves just the people who already played and moved on. sure a few will probably play for nostalgias sake if they had resold it to gamestop or whatever but i dont think were gonna see a big change to the numbers.

We won’t find out till October 16

> > > i love halo 3 and wish i had more folks to play with but logically i dont think halo 3 will draw very many people in at this point. anyone who wanted to play it already has. i dont foresee a big change at all sadly.
> >
> > Part of it is the new audience who never even played Halo 3 will be happy to try it. But also the audience that quit Halo 4 (which is approximately 70% of players), will likely also love the chance to show 343i that future Halo’s NEED to follow the original formula.
> >
> > It’s not just about getting to play Halo 3 again, it’s about using population to show that an Arena style Halo is what fans of the franchise WANT to see.
>
> believe me i would love to be wrong in my opinion on this.
>
> however you have to remember that even for new people who havent played before, its still a 6 year old game with 6 year old mechanics. in todays call of duty style gameplay i dont think it will draw in too many new folks.
>
> that leaves just the people who already played and moved on. sure a few will probably play for nostalgias sake if they had resold it to gamestop or whatever but i dont think were gonna see a big change to the numbers.

We won’t find out till October 16

I’m considering selling Halo 4 and playing Halo 3 much more to show I mean business.
I’m just one man, but I’ll try to prove to 343i that this new stuff is bad.
Well, most of it.

Can’t wait to play as an Elite again!
:smiley:

Yeah same here. Playing as an Elite was a big part of my Halo 2 and 3 experience which was sadly heavily limited in Reach. Though, I personally feel if they kept the stat/size changes only in invasion, and then used direct model/hitbox size scaling with same-stats for everything else it would have worked just fine as an “all the time” feature, and probably would have even worked better than the “bending” of a full size Elite model that was used in Halo 3, as the Elite would be standing straight up, with the head clearly visible from behind, but would simply be smaller than those found in Campaign, FF, and Invasion. I also couldn’t understand why our preferred species was exempt from Firefight, it’s just a multiplayer mode story didn’t need to be taken into account.

And I was very disappointed to learn that 343i ignored a chunk of the community completely by not including them in Halo 4, something that instantly caused nearly all the Elite clans that were still around to stay on Reach or 3, further decreasing Halo 4’s population.

I’m looking forward to having them back again in Halo 3.

If there’s one thing 343 did right, that’s fixing Reach and it’s playlist. Hopefully they can do the same for Halo 3. Also, to Microsoft, it wouldn’t be a very good business to make all DLC for a platinum game free even though no one would buy it because it’s a free game.

You see, Microsoft doesn’t care about our wants. If they can make a quick buck on something, they will. Even if it’s aged DLC. So even if we want free DLC, it’s not gonna happen.

> Yeah same here. Playing as an Elite was a big part of my Halo 2 and 3 experience which was sadly heavily limited in Reach. Though, I personally feel if they kept the stat/size changes only in invasion, and then used direct model/hitbox size scaling with same-stats for everything else it would have worked just fine as an “all the time” feature, and probably would have even worked better than the “bending” of a full size Elite model that was used in Halo 3, as the Elite would be standing straight up, with the head clearly visible from behind, but would simply be smaller than those found in Campaign, FF, and Invasion. I also couldn’t understand why our preferred species was exempt from Firefight, it’s just a multiplayer mode story didn’t need to be taken into account.
>
> And I was very disappointed to learn that 343i ignored a chunk of the community completely by not including them in Halo 4, something that instantly caused nearly all the Elite clans that were still around to stay on Reach or 3, further decreasing Halo 4’s population.
>
> I’m looking forward to having them back again in Halo 3.

343i won’t listen to their community. They just add pointless -Yoink- we don’t want. Especially get rid of stuff. I’m surprised I didn’t get banned for giving tips about halo 4 to 343i. Already got banned for a week for saying “I liked halo 3 ranking system better”.

> If there’s one thing 343 did right, that’s fixing Reach and it’s playlist. Hopefully they can do the same for Halo 3. Also, to Microsoft, it wouldn’t be a very good business to make all DLC for a platinum game free even though no one would buy it because it’s a free game.
>
> You see, Microsoft doesn’t care about our wants. If they can make a quick buck on something, they will. Even if it’s aged DLC. So even if we want free DLC, it’s not gonna happen.

If the game is as old as H3 then they’re should be free maps. I get picture packs and stuff can be money. But all Microsoft wants is MONEY. The new comers won’t have a good experience if all they can play is like social slayer.

It pathetic that halo 4 can hold barely 20,000 when it wasn’t out for a year yet. Halo 3 held 3,000,000+ for 3 years. Once you hit 130 in halo 4, all you could do is play more war games. Custom games sucked, forge sucked. They are all ready making a new halo that will probably be multiplayer only

I’m on Halo 3 right now with ONLY 1890 players online. I’m waiting to make friends with a group of people who like halo a lot and would play Halo 3 and REACH with me

I’ll be checking out Halo 3 after the 16th. I have a physical copy so no need for the download, but a decent population would make it worth playing again. I missed out on Halo 3 MP first time round and so I have plenty of achievements I still need to get (darn Two For One…)

About the DLC: if it follows the trend for other Games With Gold, expect to see the DLC discounted to 50% or possibly lower, but it’s unlikely to be free. Alternatively, pick up ODST and use the MP disk!

> > If there’s one thing 343 did right, that’s fixing Reach and it’s playlist. Hopefully they can do the same for Halo 3. Also, to Microsoft, it wouldn’t be a very good business to make all DLC for a platinum game free even though no one would buy it because it’s a free game.
> >
> > You see, Microsoft doesn’t care about our wants. If they can make a quick buck on something, they will. Even if it’s aged DLC. So even if we want free DLC, it’s not gonna happen.
>
> If the game is as old as H3 then they’re should be free maps. I get picture packs and stuff can be money. But all Microsoft wants is MONEY. The new comers won’t have a good experience if all they can play is like social slayer.

You think Microsoft would care for a player experience? They only would if they aren’t going to make sales, like the Xbox One. As Batou said, we can expect %50 all Halo 3 DLC but not free. Microsoft is a business, not a game developer. And like every other business, it’s all about profit.

How about you post a Halo 3 players appeal on the recruiting forums and get some more waypointers in the action. Lets show Halo’s true numbers and colours, if only I didn’t have school :frowning: