Halo 3: ODST Style WZFF?

They could introduce a Halo 3: ODST style game type, where you battle increasing numbers of enemies, but only 2 power weapons spawn each round - getting better and more powerful as each round progresses.

ODST WZFF:

• Round 1 - Covenant, Kill all to win: Spartan Laser + Rail Gun + Normal Warthog on the map - Round 2 - Prometheans, Kill all to win: Spartan Laser + Whiplash + Tundra Warthog on the map - Round 3 - Wraiths, Kill 5/5 to win: End Game + Whiplash + Rally Warthog on the map - Round 4 - **Covenant/**Prometheans, Kill all to win: End Game + Arclight + Needler Warthog on the map - Round 5 - Hunter Devastators with Covenant back up, Kill 15/15 to win: Selene’s Lance + Arclight + ONI Warthog on the mapThere are 2 warthogs on the map, one would spawn 50 seconds after it has been destroyed - game indicates this to player (’‘warthog on the field’). Each power weapon spawns every 1:45 in the same place - game also indicated this (’‘power weapons available’’)

Edit: Death limit of 10 per round, counts for all players. Gets a bonus 2 lives if less than 2 deaths in a round.
No time limit for rounds, but if rounds are completed under 3 minutes, and extra life is added to the death limit.

What do you think?

> 2533274876601129;1:
> They could introduce a Halo 3: ODST style game type, where you battle increasing numbers of enemies, but only 2 power weapons spawn each round - getting better and more powerful as each round progresses.
>
> ODST WZFF:
>
> - Round 1 - Covenant, Kill all to win: Spartan Laser + Rail Gun + Normal Warthog on the map
> - Round 2 - Prometheans, Kill all to win: Spartan Laser + Whiplash + Tundra Warthog on the map
> - Round 3 - Wraiths, Kill 5/5 to win: End Game + Whiplash + Rally Warthog on the map
> - Round 4 - **Covenant/**Prometheans, Kill all to win: End Game + Arclight + Needler Warthog on the map
> - Round 5 - Hunter Devastators with Covenant back up, Kill 15/15 to win: Selene’s Lance + Arclight + ONI Warthog on the map
> There are 2 warthogs on the map, one would spawn 50 seconds after it has been destroyed - game indicates this to player (’‘warthog on the field’). Each power weapon spawns every 1:45 in the same place - game also indicated this (’‘power weapons available’’)
>
> What do you think?

or how about this version. You have a set number of respawns and you get more by reaching certain point levels, not dying during a round or the like. Each round spawns random enemies of increasing strength finishing with a ‘boss’ that can be beaten through ingenuity and playing well. You can still summon in reqs to match your req level. The number of rounds this lasts is up to you. After 4 rounds you get a bonus round and after the bonus round you are taken to a screen where you can vote ‘press x to continue, press y to leave.’ if you drop out you are replaced and the next round starts. Rounds have no time limits.

Add in a death-limit in leu of timers and you’ve got a winner

> 2533274802185874;3:
> Add in a death-limit in leu of timers and you’ve got a winner

Done!

What I think is that your ideas should have been something that should have been implemented since WZFF was released.

The current WZFF feels like a half–Yoinked!- cop out, or even the testing phase of a new feature.

I would love to see WZFF expanded on with these ideas in mind.

I prefer the version currently in place. Sorry.

The only improvement I think worth exploring, knowing this is a mode exclusively built for matchmaking, is an individual life counter. I think the progressive respawn timer is a good compromise there.

> 2533274802185874;3:
> Add in a death-limit in leu of timers and you’ve got a winner

As long as the defend X objectives are removed. One of the more common strategies is just to throw bodies at it to contest the timer.

I’d be fine with this. I think the current version is alright but needs some work. You have some solid ideas, though.

> 2661949065475413;7:
> > 2533274802185874;3:
> > Add in a death-limit in leu of timers and you’ve got a winner
>
>
> As long as the defend X objectives are removed. One of the more common strategies is just to throw bodies at it to contest the timer.

True. The only way I can see defense objectives work is if the enemy spawns at a distance in order for defenders to thin the herd before the obj gets contested. The way it works now really doesn’t give you a chance to be creative. Plus sniper rifles would finally be worth a damn in FF.

The enemies should also get progressively tougher, not the way they are in WZFF currently.

Just give me firefight like how it was in ODST and were golden.

> 2533274805497312;6:
> I prefer the version currently in place. Sorry.
>
> The only improvement I think worth exploring, knowing this is a mode exclusively built for matchmaking, is an individual life counter. I think the progressive respawn timer is a good compromise there.

This would be a different version you could play, you could pick it from the WZFF menu.

> 2533274867157068;10:
> The enemies should also get progressively tougher, not the way they are in WZFF currently.

I agree. Some enemies are just bullet sponges, and appear in round 1. Like Elite Generals, or Knights. (and those annoying soldiers with the splinter turret)

> 2533274876601129;13:
> > 2533274867157068;10:
> > The enemies should also get progressively tougher, not the way they are in WZFF currently.
>
>
> I agree. Some enemies are just bullet sponges, and appear in round 1. Like Elite Generals, or Knights. (and those annoying soldiers with the splinter turret)

Assassinations are your best friends against Knights (only once both sides of armour are gone). It’s so satisfying to rip the sword of that one Legendary Knight and stab them in the face :slight_smile:

And yup, Firefight’s all about fighting Bullet Sponges with insane damage, and respawn timers (along with it’s twin, spawn mechanics). NOTHING beats wasting a rocket launcher on a single enemy who refused to die, or grabbing your SPNKr Ex and dying to face the 30 second respawn timer because a Soldier crossmapped you with a Splinter Turret.

> 2533274830513360;11:
> Just give me firefight like how it was in ODST and were golden.

I would love ODST Firefight… it was about survival, not all these objectives… which really take the piss at times, like Prometheans teleporting in on the objective and several dozen Knights are just killing you with Incineration Cannons.

> 2533274939018653;15:
> > 2533274830513360;11:
> > Just give me firefight like how it was in ODST and were golden.
>
>
> I would love ODST Firefight… it was about survival, not all these objectives… which really take the piss at times, like Prometheans teleporting in on the objective and several dozen Knights are just killing you with Incineration Cannons.

That is what annoys me the most, I think the defend the base objectives should always be with the Covenant.

Without the vehicle bosses, I could see this working on smaller maps, like Warzone Assault maps - this would be great on the new Temple map. (Anvil’s Legacy)

I’d prefer the true classic ODST; waves, rounds, sets with skulls to modify difficulty, and limited lives. Nothing else but you, a rocket launcher, and three other buddies.

OT: I do like your idea, the only criticism I would have is the death limit counting for all players. They tried that in Reach and it only left the good players with zero lives when the finally died (personal experience). It might be better to have 2-3 lives at the start for each individual player.

For Halo 6, I hope they do old school Firefight. WZFF should be renamed to Warzone Escalation or something.

> 2533274876601129;12:
> > 2533274805497312;6:
> > I prefer the version currently in place. Sorry.
> >
> > The only improvement I think worth exploring, knowing this is a mode exclusively built for matchmaking, is an individual life counter. I think the progressive respawn timer is a good compromise there.
>
>
> This would be a different version you could play, you could pick it from the WZFF menu.

Right, but there are other improvements to the current setup that I’d rather see (and that I presume would take less effort).