Halo 3 ODST - PC online firefight has FPS drops.

Hi all,

I still have an open discussion with support over this but I thought I would share the issue I have and to see if anyone knows of a work around/fix.

Description
ODST online firefight seems to have performance issues for me. Most of the match is 60fps locked but then it dips as low as 40 sometimes. I noticed it occurs when either enemies were being spawned in or phantoms appearing but its not always the case. This game mode and game ran perfectly 60fps stable a few updates ago so im not sure if it needs more optimisation?

Repro Steps
My only repro steps is when the enemy spawn in/ phantoms appear. Different maps vary, some maps only dip as low as 56 were as others have gone as low as 40. It does recover a few minutes later but its very distracting and annoying, especially as all other Halo games inc Halo 2A work perfectly at 60fps.

The steps sent to me by 343i that I have followed and has not resolved my issue is;

• Set your framerate to a 60FPS Limit. This helps with desync issues in matchmaking & Co-Op. - Reset your router to ensure there are no wrong configurations. We can do that by power cycling it, and this often fixes some internal issues. All you have to do is turn off your router and modem for at least 60 seconds, then turn them back on. - Try out a Wired/Ethernet connection to your router if you haven’t already, that can help with connection problems. This will reduce any interference between your computer or device and your router that could be causing this to happen. - Check this guide for NAT Troubleshooting. - Head over to your Steam Library and Right-click on MCC and Verify the Integrity of the files, to ensure your game files are not corrupt. - -Disconnect any drawing tablets or unused controllers
    -Uninstall the game completely, then delete all files at C:\Users<UserName>\AppData\LocalLow\MCC. and reinstall once more. (last resort)
    -If you’re running background programs like Discord or Chrome, try loading up the game without them.
    -Reduce your graphics in Video settingsODST ran perfectly smooth from the insider release upto just before Halo 4 drop/update. The most recent update has improved performance slightly with most dips only occuring now between 52-60.

I’m so glad someone else has brought this up as I’ve been having the exact same issue, but not only in Halo 3: ODST firefight but across all games. Before, I could get above 120 fps (though I had it capped to 60 since that’s what my monitor is) and now I’m constantly going into the low 50s and sometimes even the 40s. But sometimes the stuttering is so bad it says I’m getting 45 fps or so but it feels like maybe 20. This all started with the Halo 4 update and I submitted a ticket then and I’ve done it again a couple days ago. This has to be addressed, it’s ridiculous my OG 2013 Xbox One can run this game better than my PC. And especially when a few months ago, it was running significantly better than now. I’m not sure what’s changed to make this issue come up but it desperately needs a fix.

Omisake I am sorry to hear about the bigger issue you have.

I too believe it was something done on the Halo 4 update because the insider build and previous builds had ODST run perfectly smooth.

With my ODST I have noticed the frame issue in the campagin as well now but this might of been because I finished ODST before H4 and as such the issue is only showing up since returning. Firefight is an odd one because the performance issue kicks in after set 1 wave 3. prior two waves 60fps is fine.

I’m going to try a whole reinstall and wipe of every file of MCC today and I will get back to you to see if this resolves it.
I have also not had my support ticket updated since informing them season 5’s update has not resolved it.

Not entirely sure what even causes this performance issue, the odd part is that every other halo runs perfectly butter smooth (although I do cap at 60) H2A does have frame drops but I’ve had that since its launch even with my higher than rec specs.

> 2533274840457239;3:
> Omisake I am sorry to hear about the bigger issue you have.
>
> I too believe it was something done on the Halo 4 update because the insider build and previous builds had ODST run perfectly smooth.
>
> With my ODST I have noticed the frame issue in the campagin as well now but this might of been because I finished ODST before H4 and as such the issue is only showing up since returning. Firefight is an odd one because the performance issue kicks in after set 1 wave 3. prior two waves 60fps is fine.
>
> I’m going to try a whole reinstall and wipe of every file of MCC today and I will get back to you to see if this resolves it.
> I have also not had my support ticket updated since informing them season 5’s update has not resolved it.
>
> Not entirely sure what even causes this performance issue, the odd part is that every other halo runs perfectly butter smooth (although I do cap at 60) H2A does have frame drops but I’ve had that since its launch even with my higher than rec specs.

Thanks man, I appreciate that, it’s definitely super frustrating.

That’s interesting that you also noticed it around the Halo 4 update, that definitely makes me think it was related to that. I was thinking about uninstalling the whole game and then installing it again but I haven’t done it yet. Dude yeah, see that’s the thing, I have absolutely no clue either and it’s weird because it never used to happen before and suddenly it is. I changed nothing on my end with either software or hardware so not really sure what’s going on…

Did anything get fixed for you?

> 2533274931571055;4:
> > 2533274840457239;3:
> > Omisake I am sorry to hear about the bigger issue you have.
> >
> > I too believe it was something done on the Halo 4 update because the insider build and previous builds had ODST run perfectly smooth.
> >
> > With my ODST I have noticed the frame issue in the campagin as well now but this might of been because I finished ODST before H4 and as such the issue is only showing up since returning. Firefight is an odd one because the performance issue kicks in after set 1 wave 3. prior two waves 60fps is fine.
> >
> > I’m going to try a whole reinstall and wipe of every file of MCC today and I will get back to you to see if this resolves it.
> > I have also not had my support ticket updated since informing them season 5’s update has not resolved it.
> >
> > Not entirely sure what even causes this performance issue, the odd part is that every other halo runs perfectly butter smooth (although I do cap at 60) H2A does have frame drops but I’ve had that since its launch even with my higher than rec specs.
>
> Thanks man, I appreciate that, it’s definitely super frustrating.
>
> That’s interesting that you also noticed it around the Halo 4 update, that definitely makes me think it was related to that. I was thinking about uninstalling the whole game and then installing it again but I haven’t done it yet. Dude yeah, see that’s the thing, I have absolutely no clue either and it’s weird because it never used to happen before and suddenly it is. I changed nothing on my end with either software or hardware so not really sure what’s going on…
>
> Did anything get fixed for you?

I’m sad to report that nothing has been resolved. Support have told me to wait and I am hoping this new season update brings performance fixes.

I did the insider build for ODST and it ran smooth like butter, than once 4 was released it has since had performance issues.
I’ve removed every file related to the game, updated all drivers, ensured thermals were okay, installed on a SSD, done everything support asked me to try. Nothing, for some odd reason ODST suffers, I have also noticed it in select missions also for ODST but nothing as serve. All other Halo games run smooth though so it’s obviously an issue 343 need to resolve.

I am having the same problem on my Xbox series x. Is there a fix for this on console?

> 2533274855222859;6:
> I am having the same problem on my Xbox series x. Is there a fix for this on console?

Sadly not. All I got was this after the ticket being open for about 7 months.

"Hello Nationkid05,

We appreciate your participation in the recent flight and the time you took to share this information. Your ticket was shared with the development team and the issue you reported is now being investigated.

We will now close this ticket, but the following resources for our publicly released titles are still available:

• Halo Support: Official patch notes, known issues for flights and retail releases, and a growing library of player self-help articles.
• Submit a ticket: Report in-game issues to Halo Support.
• Halo Support on Twitter: Real-time tweets for all releases, public flights, and updates as well as ongoing info on known issues and outages.

All the best."