Halo 3 mechanics to be considered

Recently, I decided to get some Halo 3 games running, both for nostalgia and for finding a fun, classic Halo playlist to play in. (I found both, just sayin’)

Immediately I noticed some ‘improvements’ over Halo Reach. I’m not going to talk about armor abilities or bloom, even though the lack of these certainly made the game twice as fun. I’m going to talk about the little things that caught my attention that usually go unnoticed on these forums.

Most noticeable was the lack of motion blur. Motion blur has always bothered me in Reach. Even though i’ve grown used to it, I still have to frown and really focus to clearly see what’s going on on my screen. Reach’s game mechanics, such as sprint, make this problem even worse, because with people sprinting all over the place, it’s even harder for you to analyze what’s on your screen if you have to look around, blurry, all the time. It gives me a headache sometimes. Playing Halo 3 was so silky smooth, I did not have to fight the screen with my eyes. The simple movement, without sprint, made it easy to follow people and thus easier to know my surroundings. The time i usually spent trying to figure out where everyone is, i could now spend thinking about strategy and my own placement on the map.

Furthermore, aiming was noticeably different. A thread has already been made about this: Aim accelleration smoothing (link). In Halo 3, it feels harder to land shots than in Reach, even though the targets (spartan IIs) are bigger, probably because I am used to Reach’s aim accelleration smoothing. Aim accelleration smoothing helps newer players, but hinders pro player aim. I was ‘noob’ in Halo 3, because i had to get used to the more responsive aiming, and i got outplayed. A second factor is obviously that there is a lot less auto-aim in halo 3 than in Reach. Lastly, strafing is much more effective in Halo 3 because of the relatively fast movement accelleration and speed compared to Reach.
These three features together form a competitive, fair and fun core gameplay asset that is part of what is ‘Halo’. It was able to achieve a better result without the need of adding other aim nerfing mechanics, such as bloom or recoil. (There was spread, which wasn’t perfect, but it’s still a large step up from Reach. Halo 2’s BR was the best of all, though that caused it to dominate the sandbox even more than in H3).

Another thing i instantly noticed when playing on Standoff is how the warthogs weren’t dominating the entire match, going on an ever-lasting spree, yet were able to get a lot of kills before they went down. The factors at play were:

• Standoff, being a small map, ensures that the warthog has a lot of targets to be caught out in the open -> lots of kills to be had for the warthog
  • Spartans IIs have large hitboxes: they were relatively easy to gun down from the warthogs. The warthogs themselves were easy to tip over/destroy with well-placed nades (which, ironically, isn’t the case with Reach’s nukes)
  • The map was well designed, forcing the warthog to slow down, and ensuring that enough power weapons were available to take down the warthog. Spartan laser AND rockets? nowhere to be found in Reach.

Also; the melee system worked beautifully. No sprint double beatdowns so no need for shield popping mechanics. Just the good old bleedthrough beatdown: whoever times it best is first, unless they melee at the exact same time, in that case the system looks at remaining health. Only if there is no difference in remaining health is the beatdown traded. What a system! Fair and simple. Unfortunately, this will not be an option for Halo 4, as sprint will not make this work out.

<mark>TL;DR</mark>
I made this thread for three reasons:
First, to remind the veterans of how little things can have a noticeable impact on your way of experiencing a game, and how Halo 3 got these right
Second: To ask for the community’s opinion on these mechanics, especially motion blur and aim smoothing, and what they think should be done for Halo 4
Third: to ask 343i to take my opinion into consideration and maybe try to pay attention to those if that is still possible, OR confirm or deny their appearance in the current Halo 4 build.

Halo 3 was a masterpiece. The way equipment added to the overall experience instead of custom loadouts found in Reach.

Throwing down a power drainer to wreak havoc on shields. Super jumps with the grav lift. BUBBLE SHIELD!! those were the dayz

> Halo 3 was a masterpiece. The way equipment added to the overall experience instead of custom loadouts found in Reach.
>
> Throwing down a power drainer to wreak havoc on shields. Super jumps with the grav lift. BUBBLE SHIELD!! those were the dayz

Really?

If Halo 3 is such a masterpiece, then why are there not more people still playing it? And don’t tell me it’s because Reach is the newest game because GTA IV for example still has a significant amount of people playing it; more than Halo 3. (yes I know they are different games, but that’s not the point) If the game is good then people play it, period.

The reason why Reach has more population (and I know you’re going to rage about this) is because the MAJORITY like it better.

Good thread. I can’t say the motion blur bothers me, but the rest I agree with.

I didn’t realise there was Aim Smoothing in Reach but it definitely feels sluggish, and if I turn the sensitivity up it tends to get twitchy when I’m using small movements. Combined with bloom, I don’t find the DMR satisfying at all to use so I always pick up a NR despite the fact it is slightly inferior, purely because it is more satisfying to use. I rarely die with a NR in my hands thinking that I should have finished off a kill quicker.

In regards to auto-aim, it really irritates me. It’s annoying to line up a sniper shot in Reach, only for another enemy to walk in front, the reticle to follow them slightly and I end up missing entirely. And like you said, it also adds an element of skill when there is less auto-aim. I believe some is required to help prevent lag being constantly ruining games, but I would like less.

Looking at a small clip of Halo 4 multiplayer, I think that movement acceleration has increased. I can’t tell about absolute movement speed, but it has probably increased.

The fact that players can’t sprint full speed while being shot could stop double pummel, but they really need bleedthrough or a 3-hit-kill melee if it doesn’t.

Hahahaha I remember a time when people complained about Halo 3’s projectile/ spread system and super whined about equipment. And yeah if Halo 3 was so much better more people would still be playing.

I could not disagree more about motion blur. Its there specifically to smooth out the visuals. Thats the single point of its existence.

Going back to H3 sometimes looks like a slideshow to me now.

> Hahahaha I remember a time when people complained about Halo 3’s projectile/ spread system and super whined about equipment. And yeah if Halo 3 was so much better more people would still be playing.

Halo 3’s BR has some downsides as well. Bullets travel slowly: while this is an effective and skillful nerf for the BR, it is somewhat annoying and impossible to play with lag.

Spread has never really bothered me personally, because that was negligible compared to having to deal with bullet travel time. You’d still always hit all 3 shots in a burst up to medium range.

It’s funny how Halo 3 was worse in competitive terms than Halo 2, but still twice as good as Reach. This thread is to point out that 343i should look to the older Halo games for the ‘under the hood’ mechanics, such as aim smoothing and motion blurring. They should take the best out of each game, and leave out the flaws.

I would be perfectly happy with a 4-shot, hit-scan BR that always shoots where you point, without aim smoothing or motion blur like in Halo CE and 2. Looks like we are getting hit-scan and recoil so that’s alright. I’m kinda disappointed about it being a 5-shot. And now I’m wondering if aim smoothing and motion blur are in or not.

PS: there’s 7000 players online at a time in Halo 3, and that’s quite a lot more than I expected at first. I’m sure almost every Halo player has played Reach; so i’m assuming the current Halo 3 population returned to Halo 3 from Reach. It’s a contraintuitive choice to make; newer is better, right? Reach has classic playlists, so why return? I’ve only taken this step like yesterday, after one year of raging on Reach, and i feel kind of disappointed for not doing so earlier. Because Reach classic feels nothing like the previous games.

> I could not disagree more about motion blur. Its there specifically to smooth out the visuals. Thats the single point of its existence.
>
> Going back to H3 sometimes looks like a slideshow to me now.

60fps and less fancy graphics would have solved that easily.

However, with it being fixed on 30 fps, I’m afraid we have no choice but to choose the lesser evil of the two.

I’d rather watch a “slideshow” (something I’ve never really noticed because I don’t play 60 fps games) than get a headache due to having a blurry screen.

> Furthermore, aiming was noticeably different. A thread has already been made about this: Aim accelleration smoothing (link). In Halo 3, it feels harder to land shots than in Reach, even though the targets (spartan IIs) are bigger, probably because I am used to Reach’s aim accelleration smoothing. Aim accelleration smoothing helps newer players, but hinders pro player aim. I was ‘noob’ in Halo 3, because i had to get used to the more responsive aiming, and i got outplayed. A second factor is obviously that there is a lot less auto-aim in halo 3 than in Reach. Lastly, strafing is much more effective in Halo 3 because of the relatively fast movement accelleration and speed compared to Reach.

Halo 3’s aim smoothing was FAR greater than Reach’s, to the point where it felt like my aim sensitivity was much lower than where I set it. Although I do agree that a toggle option would be great, Halo 3’s aim smoothing was much more of a problem than Reach’s (which I barely even noticed while playing on a high sensitivity).

> > Halo 3 was a masterpiece. The way equipment added to the overall experience instead of custom loadouts found in Reach.
> >
> > Throwing down a power drainer to wreak havoc on shields. Super jumps with the grav lift. BUBBLE SHIELD!! those were the dayz
>
> Really?
>
> If Halo 3 is such a masterpiece, then why are there not more people still playing it? And don’t tell me it’s because Reach is the newest game because GTA IV for example still has a significant amount of people playing it; more than Halo 3. (yes I know they are different games, but that’s not the point) If the game is good then people play it, period.
>
> The reason why Reach has more population (and I know you’re going to rage about this) is because the MAJORITY like it better.

Every time I sign in to Halo 3 there are 20,000 players online. In Reach on average there are about 40-60 thousand. Halo 3 has been out for nearly 5 years, Reach has been out for 2.