Halo 3: Did Truth know the truth?

I know in Halo 2, the whole Covenant empire inlcuding the Prophets of Truth, Mercy, and Regret worshiped the forerunners and their Halo rings. But, is it possible that Truth knew the Halo array’s true purpose; to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy rather than igniting a “Great Journey” leading to salvation? In Halo 2, Truth and Mercy detained and interrogated the “Holy Oracle” 343 Guilty Spark, which led them to Delta Halo. Spark most likely told them Halos’ true purpose of creation. Now two things are reinforcing this possibility; why Truth wanted so desperately to activate the “Sacred Rings” upon the Ark (which is outside of the galaxy) instead of finding another ring, and the short speech Truth gave to Sgt. Johnson after killing Commander Miranda Keyes. “Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion, steeled themselves for what needed to be done.”

> I know in Halo 2, the whole Covenant empire inlcuding the Prophets of Truth, Mercy, and Regret worshiped the forerunners and their Halo rings. But, is it possible that Truth knew the Halo array’s true purpose; to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy rather than igniting a “Great Journey” leading to salvation? In Halo 2, Truth and Mercy detained and interrogated the “Holy Oracle” 343 Guilty Spark, which led them to Delta Halo. Spark most likely told them Halos’ true purpose of creation. Now two things are reinforcing this possibility; why Truth wanted so desperately to activate the “Sacred Rings” upon the Ark (which is outside of the galaxy) instead of finding another ring, and the short speech Truth gave to Sgt. Johnson after killing Commander Miranda Keyes. “Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion, steeled themselves for what needed to be done.”

He did know. Every Prophet knew. Contact Harvest explains how the Prophets that would become Truth, Mercy, and Regret talked to a fragment of Medicant Bias within the Forerunner Dreadnought. MB revealed the Truth to them.

Or, you can read about it on Halopedia.

Truth did not know the Truth, Mercy was not merciful, Regret regretted attacking Earth etc etc.

Seriously, they did know, which is why the war began in the first place.

No, Truth knew the truth.

he never TOLD the truth.

he was lying, he always knew but he lied.

“All I want is the truth, the truth, and nothin’ but the cold hard TRUTH!”

We really need an Off Topic forum…

Truth: “I opened the portal to this hallowed place, this shelter from Halo’s fire, in the hopes that more of our Covenant would join us. Alas, save for a rabble of Heretics and their Demon allies, we are all that remains on this new world. So we must temper joy and sorrow in our hearts, for those who were left behind.”

Sounds like he knew to me. Why would he mention Halo’s fire if he didn’t know what it would kill everything?

You can’t handle the truth!!!

He knew. All the hierarchs knew. They found out when the medicant bias fragment woke up and said 'This is not reclaimation, this is reclaimer" regarding the human race, and nearly launched the keyship through the roof of high charity. They discovered that the religious foundations of the covenant were a lie, they chose not to accept that, and thus waged war against humans. The entire war was a coverup for the truth.

It got to a point where he started to believe his own BS about lighting the halos being the path to salvation, though in a strange way, and was quite clearly starting to lose it during the events of halo 3. But he always knew the secret, such as when he said to johnson “Its true i need your help, but that secret dies with the rest.”

I still cant work out why he went to such lengths to do it though knowing the murderous function of the rings, especially the attempted firing of delta halo whilst he was very much still inside the galaxy seeing as he would have died too. Either he was a total psychopath/headcase, or he really believed that the forerunner lit the rings before and died en masse, but that they also really did sublime into godhood from it too, and so would he and all else who ‘walked the path’, believing that heretics and the unworthy would just end up dead. Also the flood was out and about again too so they had to be fired again regardless.

Yeah I don’t understand that. If Truth knew the truth before the Halo trilogy even began, then why did he give Tartarus the activation index or “Sacred Icon” to Delta Halo and willingly allowed him to activate the ring knowing it’s full purpose while he is still in the galaxy?

P.S: Is Halo CEA and Halo 4 all people want to talk about in this forum? Lets talk about something else for once, thats another reason why I posted this thread.

> Yeah I don’t understand that. If Truth knew the truth before the Halo trilogy even began, then why did he give Tartarus the activation index or “Sacred Icon” to Delta Halo and willingly allowed him to activate the ring knowing it’s full purpose while he is still in the galaxy?
>
> P.S: Is Halo CEA and Halo 4 all people want to talk about in this forum? Lets talk about something else for once, thats another reason why I posted this thread.

I think that was Tarturus acting on what HE believed was what Truth wants him to do. Brutes are not smart in the first place and would do anything to make themselves look good among the Covenant.

Truth kept everything about the Halo rings a secret. If they knew that if Humans were the true inheritors of the technology, the Covenant would’ve fallen apart. He planned and orchestrated the war on purpose just to keep him and his race above everyone else.

I think for most of time, Truth and the other prophets just wanted to continue leading the Covenant and so didn’t admit to the truth about humanity being the true reclaimers, so that they could continue to live in control of so many lives (I think it was just an obsession with power). However by the end of Halo 3 I believe that Truth was so far gone he just wanted to rid the universe of humanity and elites. By this this point he was just driven by hate, and wanted to prove that he was the superior race, despite needing Johnsons help in activating the array. It still does not make total sense but he was surely not mentally stable by the end. And BTW, the cutscene where Truth is killed was probably the best part of Halo 3 in my opinion. :smiley:

The prophet’s names in the halo series are all ironic e.g. Truth lied to the covenant etc etc. Just a nice little tidbit :smiley:

But yes Truth did know. Because of the mistranslation (As stated above), Truth realised that their entire religion was based on lies and knew that if he told the rest of the covenant, besides the prophets of course, then the other races would lose their faith and the covenant would be disbanded. He just wanted to stay in control and lied to the covenant to keep them under his control and wanted to rid the universe of humanity as they were the true reclaimers.