Halo 3 campaign is bad?

So I’ve been playing through all the campaigns again and I’ve noticed that the story in 3 completely loses me. I can follow all the other campaigns stories and know exactly what’s going on but in 3 I just feel like stuff is happening.

Anytime there’s a cutscene I don’t really know what they’re talking about and to this day I still don’t fully understand the ending. I mean ok, we get to the ark and activate the newly created halo ring so that it will kill all the flood on the ark? I thought the rings killed just their food source so how does that work? Are there only flood left on the ark? Why don’t they show how the Master Chief got to Earth’s surface instead of just showing him crash landed in the beginning of the game? How far away is the ark from the milky way galaxy?

Is it just me that doesn’t really know what’s going on? I pay attention and it just feels like the game isn’t making as much sense as the first two. I’d love for someone to enlighten me with answers.

Wrong forum section.

• we dont see chief get off the keyship, but all you need to know is that he got off after being unable to kill truth.
  • activating the new halo before it was ready self destructed the ring. the deadly halo pulse was not activated. So as far as we know, the little flood that was on the ring was destroyed, the flood on high charity were destroyed too, and the ark was heavily damaged to an extent that many sections of the station are inhabitable. but we do know ONI has advised that there is to be no interaction with any life left on the installation.

A lot of critics complained about how Halo 3’s story was difficult to follow when it was released, when I found it simple to understand as anything.

it has the best story but the worst story telling
basically (from my knowledge anyone correct me if im wrong)

-if the ark was gonna activate then all the flood would die anyway so the gravemind took all of the flood with him to stop the ark

-the ring was not finished so firing it would make it tear itself apart along with damaging the ark

-you do it anyway hence 343 goes all laser face

-ring firers and all of the flood and all sentient life on the ark dies along with everything being damaged

-chiefs half of the ship ends up in middle of nothing and drifts to requiem

the main thing i never got is why didnt 1 flood ship stay behind? i mean 1 flood spore is of such concern elites would glass a continent if not the whole planet to be sure they killed it

> 2533274801256048;5:
> it has the best story but the worst story telling
> basically (from my knowledge anyone correct me if im wrong)
>
> -if the ark was gonna activate then all the flood would die anyway so the gravemind took all of the flood with him to stop the ark
>
> -the ring was not finished so firing it would make it tear itself apart along with damaging the ark
>
> -you do it anyway hence 343 goes all laser face
>
> -ring firers and all of the flood and all sentient life on the ark dies along with everything being damaged
>
> -chiefs half of the ship ends up in middle of nothing and drifts to requiem
>
> the main thing i never got is why didnt 1 flood ship stay behind? i mean 1 flood spore is of such concern elites would glass a continent if not the whole planet to be sure they killed it

So if the ark is outside of the Galaxy, how the hell did chief and Cortana manage to drift over to Requiem in just 4 years??

> 2533274833600810;6:
> > 2533274801256048;5:
> > it has the best story but the worst story telling
> > basically (from my knowledge anyone correct me if im wrong)
> >
> > -if the ark was gonna activate then all the flood would die anyway so the gravemind took all of the flood with him to stop the ark
> >
> > -the ring was not finished so firing it would make it tear itself apart along with damaging the ark
> >
> > -you do it anyway hence 343 goes all laser face
> >
> > -ring firers and all of the flood and all sentient life on the ark dies along with everything being damaged
> >
> > -chiefs half of the ship ends up in middle of nothing and drifts to requiem
> >
> > the main thing i never got is why didnt 1 flood ship stay behind? i mean 1 flood spore is of such concern elites would glass a continent if not the whole planet to be sure they killed it
>
>
> So if the ark is outside of the Galaxy, how the hell did chief and Cortana manage to drift over to Requiem in just 4 years??

They were thrown through slipspace to a random location in the galaxy when the portal closed around them. Apparently, it was Mendicant Bias’ fault that they ended up near Requiem, but I can’t remember the source for that.

> 2533274803267398;3:
> - we dont see chief get off the keyship, but all you need to know is that he got off after being unable to kill truth.
> - activating the new halo before it was ready self destructed the ring. the deadly halo pulse was not activated. So as far as we know, the little flood that was on the ring was destroyed, the flood on high charity were destroyed too, and the ark was heavily damaged to an extent that many sections of the station are inhabitable. but we do know ONI has advised that there is to be no interaction with any life left on the installation.

Wrong, the Halo fired, but since it was close to the Ark, and the Ark was out of range (being that the Ark was outside the galaxy) the pulse didn’t trigger the other Halo’s, and just sterilized the Ark while also damaging it.

Halo 3 had the weakest story of all the games. It is also ridden with huge plot holes but that is as far as I am willing to go discussing the issues the game has (I do not want to incite any negative actions). Halo 3 is my least favorite Halo game by far.

Halo 3’s story didn’t make much sense to me either, left too much unexplained for no reason imo.
But as far as the campaign goes I rate it above reach for sure.

Why the Master Chief left the Keyship and crash-landed on Earth is not very important to the overall story, and the distance between the Ark and the Milky Way is irrelevant as well. As for the firing of the incomplete Halo, I thought it was fairly clear that the firing was to be a local pulse that sterilized both the ring and the Ark. I was also under the impression that due to the ring’s incomplete state and 343’s comment that the activation would cause it to destroy itself, that perhaps the firing would not be as powerful as usual.

Also, the Master Chief’s half of the Forward Unto Dawn did not simply drift away from the Ark, it still entered the portal, but its collapse caused him to be safely transported to another area of space rather than returning to Earth. The legendary ending also suggests it exited slipspace fairly close to Requiem, which explains how the Dawn could drift there in a relatively short amount of time.

I admit Halo 3 could have offered a bit more explanations in its cutscenes, but it sounds like you were not paying attention. Most stuff has been answered already. The ark is 2^18 lightyears from galactic centre. 343GS found that in the ark’s cartographer.