Halo 3 & 4 Base Speed - Comparison (Video)

Hey guys, so I made a thread earlier called Halo 4 Compared Halo 3 From A Nice Guy, anyway some people started talking about how the base speed of Halo 3 is faster then Halo 4, and the sprinting in Halo 4 is just an “illusion” apparently.
So I decided to make a video about it for proof of which is slower and faster.
I was surprised at what I found. Halo 3 and Halo 4 have the same base speed, and sprint makes it even faster.
Here’s the link for the video

What do you guys think about this? Do you’s still argue otherwise? Let me know down below, thanks for reading!

Oh wow. Nicely done. Sounds about right IMO.

Nice, and I’ve known that the base speed of the two are the same for a while, thanks for proving it. Still, I’d rather have base speed in the next Halo game slightly higher than it is in Halo 4, with a slightly slower sprinting speed than Halo 4 has. It would solve some of sprint’s detriments to map design, while keeping the depth it adds to movement mechanics.

A.) This doesn’t really prove anything; the maps aren’t the exact same in scale, I believe.
B.) Movement speed has been relatively the same throughout all the Halos. What makes the difference is movement acceleration, ie. how long it takes you to change direction and reach full speed again.

I don’t have any qualms with Halo 4’s movement traits, honestly. After playing the abomination we call Reach, I’m satisfied with just hitting par. Though, it would be nice to get back to the Halo 2 movement standards. Halo 2 had perfect movement.

343i said before the game even launched that, “just because we have sprint doesn’t mean base movement will be slow”, and that they were using Halo 3 as a basis for their movement speeds. I guess some people didn’t believe that though.

> A.) <mark>This doesn’t really prove anything; the maps aren’t the exact same in scale, I believe.</mark>
> B.) Movement speed has been relatively the same throughout all the Halos. What makes the difference is movement acceleration, ie. how long it takes you to change direction and reach full speed again.
>
> I don’t have any qualms with Halo 4’s movement traits, honestly. After playing the abomination we call Reach, I’m satisfied with just hitting par. Though, it would be nice to get back to the Halo 2 movement standards. Halo 2 had perfect movement.

Hence, you believe.

Go sprint!!

> > A.) <mark>This doesn’t really prove anything; the maps aren’t the exact same in scale, I believe.</mark>
>
> Hence, you believe.

I think he raises a valid concern.

A more reliable test could be constructed using Forge and coordinates. Though Halo 3 doesn’t allow you to coordinate-edit objects, you can use Hill Markers’ bounding volumes as yardsticks, and manually line up objects as well as you can. The units are the same as in Halo 4 – 1 world unit = 10 feet – so it shouldn’t be too difficult to create tracks of equal length in both games.

That said, I’m pretty sure you’re right about Halo 4’s movement being on par with Halo 3’s. Good on you for running tests and trying to get concrete data.

Gotta love all the testing. =)

thees a reason why sprint is an Armour ability so plz stop hating on it.

> Gotta love all the testing. =)

I try to do what I can lol

That doesn’t change the fact the strafe is still nerfed.

> That doesn’t change the fact the strafe is still nerfed.

Strafe? Really? That’s what your problem is here?
-_-

> > That doesn’t change the fact the strafe is still nerfed.
>
> Strafe? Really? That’s what your problem is here?
> -_-

Yeah, it is a problem. Strafing is vital for competitive play. -_-

Base player speed may be the same, but the maps (especially Ragnarok) were enlarged in order to accommodate Sprint. Thus, base player speed relative to map size is slower.

343 said during the build up halo 4s base speed matched Halo 3s. Halo 2 and halo CE are only 5% faster. Although their accelerations are 15% faster. Reach however only had a 90% base movement speed compared to halo 4.

The thing is strafing is a vital component of what makes Halo, Halo and Halo 4s wide aim assist angle and bullet magnetism nullify it to a point that it is barely viable. I mean my 4 shot BR percentage within short to medium range is probably in the 90s. Increasing base movement speed could help rectify this but sprint is in the way. 120 sprint is ridiculous.

Yea. I knew it all along. “ohhh halo 4 has slower base movement…” “ohhh halo 4 you can’t strafe as well…” blah blah. Simply untrue.

> Yea. I knew it all along. “ohhh halo 4 has slower base movement…” “ohhh halo 4 you can’t strafe as well…” blah blah. Simply untrue.

How so?

> Base player speed may be the same, but the maps (especially Ragnarok) were enlarged in order to accommodate Sprint. Thus, base player speed relative to map size is slower.

This is in great error, edges and bases were slightly modified to accommodate AA’s but the scale is 1:1.

Take out your SRS99 and measure yourself, you will find your belief to absolved.

> Base player speed may be the same, but the maps (especially Ragnarok) were enlarged in order to accommodate Sprint. Thus, base player speed relative to map size is slower.

So if Ragnarok is larger than Valhalla and it takes the same amount of time to travel between point A and point B, wouldn’t that mean Halo 4 has faster movement than Halo 3?

Also the relative speed is exactly the same. The video proves it (7.5 seconds in both games).