Halo 2s original ranking system needs to stay

If 343 wants the populations in each game to remain loyal for a long period of time, specifically speaking in Halo 2’s case, I need to stress that the ranking system is not touched. That’s all I’m asking for, why because the system was so simple and worked so well that there was no reason it should have ever been changed. Halo 3’s might not have been great at all but at least it was visible and meant something. 343 and Bungie have strayed away from their origins of what made Halo great and this is the way to get back to them and put almost every Halo style and see which people enjoy more. But the only way to do is that for original ranking system to remain intact. They removed the in-game friends list menu which I will miss because of the clan system and it would be awesome to see clan battles again without modders. In any case, I hope we don’t get something like the CSR system, I only want the original, 343 has surprised by leaving the glitches in and if they left the original ranking system in, I would no longer be a bitter Halo veteran. I wouldn’t mind seeing the other games ranking formulas tweaked though. What are your thoughts?

The Master Chief Collection will have a ranking system that allows players to rank up and down. However, it will not be Halo 2’s original skill rating system.

Well I’m sorry to say to doesn’t work for me, sadly all of these games will end up like Halo 4 then, it’s absolutely pathetic.

> The Master Chief Collection will have a ranking system affected by wins and loses. However, it will not be Halo 2’s original skill rating system.

There is no confirmation of this. All they said is that you can rank down and back up again. That doesn’t mean it is wins and losses.

> 343 and Bungie have strayed away from their origins of what made Halo great

I’m sorry but I don’t remember a ranking system being the one thing that made me play Halo 1 or any other Halo game.

> > The Master Chief Collection will have a ranking system affected by wins and loses. However, it will not be Halo 2’s original skill rating system.
>
> There is no confirmation of this. All they said is that you can rank down and back up again. That doesn’t mean it is wins and losses.

Right, sorry. Changed my post

> > 343 and Bungie have strayed away from their origins of what made Halo great
>
> I’m sorry but I don’t remember a ranking system being the one thing that made me play Halo 1 or any other Halo game.

Mkay, well it might not have been a big deal for you, but back in 04 there wasn’t anything quite like Halo’s match making(which includes skill based ranks).

Learn something about game history. Before Halo 2 I don’t think there was a skill based ranking system for consoles, and they were rare among PC games.

Skill based ranking systems was not what made me start playing Halo, but it CERTAINLY was a factor in making me play 45K games. Improving your skill is a lot more difficult and rewarding than grinding an EXP based ranking system.

> Well I’m sorry to say to doesn’t work for me, sadly all of these games will end up like Halo 4 then, it’s absolutely pathetic.

Why? Because there’s no number next to your name? I understand that it adds a competitive element to games, but let’s be honest: Would Halo 4 really have been better if CSR (or even something more like Halo 2 or 3’s ranking systems) had been implemented, in-game? Probably not. Would Halo 2 or 3 have been worse if the ranks had been hidden, but the games still used ranked matchmaking? No, probably not.

> Why? Because there’s no number next to your name? I understand that it adds a competitive element to games, but let’s be honest: Would Halo 4 really have been better if CSR (or even something more like Halo 2 or 3’s ranking systems) had been implemented, in-game? Probably not. Would Halo 2 or 3 have been worse if the ranks had been hidden, but the games still used ranked matchmaking? No, probably not

Yea it is because there is no number next to my name and I get matched up with scrubs to where i have 1.90+ K/D, that’s not fun for me. Did i say those game would get any better? No, I personally thought Halo 4 was terrible because it didn’t feel like Halo but a real ranking system that i don’t have to check the internet for and actually affects who i get matched up with. And i can guarantee you that people wouldn’t have stayed on Halo 2/3 and grinded out as much time as they did into the game if ranks weren’t there. It may not be important to casual players but for competitive players good people who want to win, it does because adds motivation. Don’t get me wrong though, i love my custom games

Some people really do care about that number next to their name. Most people that do try harder to win which is better than getting paired up with johnnyboy12345 who doesnt care if he goes -30. Ranks promote teamwork more than a progression system

Honestly, the whole skill rank system annoys me, and its not even down to its own faults, its down to the fact it seems to have cemented into people’s heads that without it, any halo game is CERTAIN to fail, and that is strictly not true.

I’m gonna be getting the MCC for its single player (you know, it’s whole namesake) so this ultimately won’t affect me so much, but i’ve gotta admit its one of my pet peeves seeing people whine over the rank system, I seriously hope the suggestions to implement both skill and progressive in halo 5 comes true, it’s a win-win, and it might keep people’s dummies in their mouths.

> Well I’m sorry to say to doesn’t work for me, sadly all of these games will end up like Halo 4 then, it’s absolutely pathetic.

So you’re saying if the ranking system doesn’t work exactly like Halo 2, it’s the end all be all? I mean it could very well emulate it with a few changes(maybe Halo 3 esque)

I would prefer Halo 2 with the Halo 3 ranking system, and I’m not alone.

> > Well I’m sorry to say to doesn’t work for me, sadly all of these games will end up like Halo 4 then, it’s absolutely pathetic.
>
> So you’re saying if the ranking system doesn’t work exactly like Halo 2, it’s the end all be all? I mean it could very well emulate it with a few changes(maybe Halo 3 esque)

Yes because the Halo 3 ranking system was broke. True skill did not work, Halo 2’s system was simply based on wins and losses and eventually those required wins and loses escalated as you leveled up every 9 or so ranks. Halo 3’s was different was and unfair especially for people with a greater amount of XP compared to people who were easily able to to get to a 50 with less XP, the formula was broken, plain and simple.

Halo 3’s ranking system is one of the main reasons why I still play Halo 3 and not Halo 4. The competitive drive to gain a level in Halo 2 and 3 game online multiplayer massive replay ability. With Reach and Halo 4, ranks are a joke because literally everyone will eventually reach the top and remain stagnant if they commit to that god-awful grind. If nothing else, at least have the original ranking system in addition to the new combined ranking system.

Having a number next to your name shouldn’t matter, but it does. It’s a mistake to leave this element (Halo 2 originating element, nonetheless) off of MCC when there is a demand for it. I have a 343 gets this and we won’t have to worry. It may not be 1-50 Halo 2 style, but it’ll suffice.

I hope we do get a solid ranking system. H2s ranking system would work fine for me (Post patch). Heck even H3 ranks which weren’t that hard to go up in, that would be fine for me. I’m a firm believer that those ranks/numbers made people want to be better and created longevity. I’ll probably play the game regardless, but it would be a welcome addition to the collection.

I would have loved to have Halo 2’s ranking system untouched. Especially since now there is no stand-by cheat or heavy modding, people could actually reach the high 30’s and low 40’s LEGITIMATELY. Now that sounds fun.

But hey, I believe 343 did enough for us classic Halo fans. They’re bringing back the original multiplayers. And I have faith that this ranking system they are implementing will be visible and based on win/loss. We will have to wait and hear the details.

Everyone needs to have faith in Josh Menke. I listened to this guy talk about ranking players for an hour, and dude he gets it. I loved Halo 2’s ranking system, but I believe Josh Menke can make an even better one. Just gotta wait for the announcement and have some faith.

+1 for a real ranking system like h2 and h3. Please 343. For the love of God. Do not do something stupid like Reach and Halo 4 with your ranking system.